1. What is the first headline in Garys paper?
a. Early morning explosion levels tavern
2. What is the name of the "delivery man"?
a. Irwin P. Freely
3. Where is the disaster to take place?
a. The kitchen at McGinty's
4. How does the disaster happen?
a. A gas line in the kitchen explodes
5. What time is the disaster supposed to happen?
a. 7:00 am
6. What time is it on Garys clock radio when he finally looks at it?
a. 6:58 am
7. What does Gary grab on his way out of the loft?
a. His paper and Cat
8. What does he grab on his way into the kitchen?
a. The fire extinguisher
9. Who and/or what greets Gary when he bursts into the kitchen?
a. His parents, Marissa, Chuck and several employees yelling "Surprise!" along with a "surprise" banner, balloons, streamers, and a cake with a "sparkler" on top
10. What is the big occasion?
a. Its Garys birthday
11. What, according to Lois and Bernie, is Garys reaction?
a. He's upset
12. How did Lois and Bernie pull off the surprise?
a. They dummied-up a fake paper. Well, just a fake front page anyway.
13. Whos idea was this, according to Bernie?
14. What doesn't Gary want to talk about in front of his mother?
a. The number and kind of dates Gary's had and the last time he's had one
15. What does Bernie reply when Gary says, "I have lots of friends?"
a. Look around - - you can count your friends on one hand
16. What reason does Gary give for there not being more people there?
a. Thats because Crumbs not here
17. Lois asks Gary if he remembers whom?
a. Renee Callahan
18. How would Gary have known this person and how does Lois describe her?
a. They were in the third grade together; she had pigtails and used to come around selling Campfire Candy
19. What does Gary tell Lois when he thinks she's trying to get him together with this person?
a. No blind dates!
20. Where did Lois see this person's mother?
a. At the Food King
21. What does Gary hear that sends him running outside?
a. A man yelling for help because he's slipping and going to fall
22. What happens once Gary gets outside?
a. The man "falls" from a platform, unfurling a banner on the way down
23. What does this man turn out to be?
a. A "joke-a-gram"
24. What does the banner say?
a. "Happy Birthday, Gary"
25. Who is the falling man?
a. Chucks cousin Joey
26. What is the real headline on the front page of the Paper?
a. Woman mugged in park
27. How long until the event in the headline occurs?
a. An hour
28. What does Chuck say to excuse Gary's behavior?
a. "Just getting older and more grumpy, that's all"
29. What unusual item is the woman in the park carrying around in her purse?
a. A CD with "Classified" written on it
30. What does the woman buy from a vendor in the park?
a. A sweet pretzel
31. How did Gary prevent the disaster?
a. By running up and pretending to be the womans companion arriving a little late
32. What does Gary ask the woman that sounds like a "pick-up line?"
a. "Would you like for me to walk with you for a while or can I buy you another pretzel?"
33. What is Gary's reply to her "is that a line" question?
a. "I don't know, is it working?"
34. Who does the woman in the park introduce herself as?
a. Renee Callahan
35. What does Gary believe of the mugging?
a. That his parents set it up to get him together with Renee
36. What are Lois and Bernie doing when Gary returns home to the loft?
a. Practicing Feng Shui - - rearranging his furniture
37. What is the Renee's mothers name?
a. Betty Callahan
38. What does Bernie say to Gary while Lois is on the phone with Renees mom?
a. "Still time for you to jump out the window son"
39. When was the last time Bernie says Lois was humiliated like this?
a. The cruise to the Bahamas when she got caught in the undertow and her swimsuit went south.
40. What do the two mothers and Bernie think Gary owes the girl in the park?
a. An apology
41. What did Renee's mother give to Lois over the phone that Lois gives to Gary?
a. Renees address and phone number at work
42. What does Gary tell his parents to stop doing because they're "too old for that kind of thing?"
a. "Stop with this Svengali stuff, or whatever it is."
43. Where does Renee work?
a. Wayland Corporation
44. What does she hide in the ceiling tiles of the kitchen/coffee area at work?
a. A CD marked "Classified"
45. What happens to Gary when he approaches her in the kitchen?
a. She slams the door in his face apparently hitting him in the nose
46. How does she know that the cops who come to arrest her and Gary are phony?
a. One of them has an earring - - the same one that the man in the park wore
47. How does Renee prevent the men from following them out the revolving door?
a. She knocks over a trash can, blocking the movement of the door
48. What is the license plate number of her car?
a. 24B8 with a P over a V to the right
49. What kind and color of car does Renee have?
a. A shiny blue Volkswagen Beetle
50. What route does Renee say they took to get to McGintys from her office?
a. "We took the Eisenhower over to the Dan Ryan, the Dan Ryan down to the Stevenson, from the Stevenson we hopped onto the Tri-State, then quickly looped back around to the Eisenhower, and here we are."
51. What does Bernie try to unlock the handcuffs with?
a. A penknife
52. What does Bernie want to try next to get the handcuffs off?
a. A blowtorch
53. What type of company does the young woman work for?
a. A Think Tank
54. What does she do at her job?
a. Develops algorithms to help predict weather patterns
55. Who does Bernie suggest is chasing Renee?
a. Al Roker
56. Where does the money for her work come from?
a. Government grants
57. What time does the Washington office open?
a. 7:00 am
58. What does Gary say that he has around for every time that he gets connected to someone with handcuffs?
a. Bolt cutters
59. What game does Bernie suggest they play?
60. What is on the coffee table in the loft next morning?
a. Scrabble game and take-out Chinese food containers
61. Where are Bernie and Lois sleeping?
a. On the couch-bed
62. Where is the young woman?
a. On Gary's bed
63. Where is Gary sleeping?
a. On the floor
64. What happens when Gary hears Cat the next morning?
a. He reacts without thinking and pulls Renee off the bed on top of him
65. What color are Lois pajamas?
a. Pink & black
66. What message does Lois gesture to Gary?
a. The two of them - - they look cute together
67. What is her access code to Uncle Sam?
68. What is the secretary in Washington's name?
69. What is the man in Washington's name?
70. Who says that Renee is "dealing on the side and trying to cover?"
71. What morning ritual does Gary attempt while still handcuffed to the girl?
72. Where did Renee used to sleep when an undergraduate student at U. of C.?
a. In the library
73. What does Renee think that Gary was thinking when he was so rude to her in the park?
a. He thought that "the poor little math nerd was so desperate for a date that she had to have her mommy help set her up because everybody wants to date Gary"
74. How does she describe Gary when stating how every girl always wanted to date him?
a. Mr. All American Baseball playing Stingray bike riding mow everybodys lawn with his shirt off - yes she noticed - teacher's pet
75. What correction does Gary make to her description?
a. It wasn't All-American, it was All-State
76. What does Gary say of people in general and of Renee in particular while he's apologizing?
a. People - - they change. You've changed.
77. What, according to Bernie, is big business these days?
a. The Weather
78. On what does Bernie say one could make a fortune by predicting the next El Niño?
a. Umbrella sales
79. What do Renee and Gary each call the cut on Garys face after Renee finishes shaving him?
a. Renee calls it a little scratch, Gary calls it a gash
80. What does Bernie pose as in order to retrieve the hidden disk?
a. An Air Conditioner repairman
81. What does Bernie say he needs to clean out?
a. The freon recondenser
82. How much do the bolt cutters cost that Gary, his mom and Renee try to buy?
a. $43.45 with tax
83. What causes them trouble when they go to check out?
a. Renees credit card is denied
84. Who is Renees supervisor at the Wayland Corporation
a. Mr. Lawrence
85. What is the name of the store where they try to buy the bolt cutters?
a. Geralds Hardware
86. Where is it located?
a. In the 8400 block of State Street
87. What is the headline that grabs Lois attention while in the store?
a. "Three arrested after melee in hardware store"
88. For what company does the delivery guy work?
a. Federated Courier Services
89. What does Chuck do when a fight breaks out at McGinty's?
a. Moves behind Marissa and starts walking backwards with her
90. What does Lois say after she breaks a vase over the head of a phony delivery guy?
a. "Nobody points a gun at my son"
91. What does Bernie say when he returns with the disk and sees the unconscious delivery guy?
a. "Did I miss something?"
92. How did Renee know the delivery guy was a fake?
a. The facial hair -- she used to date one of the employees so she knows their grooming policy
93. How did Renee learn karate?
a. Her dad taught her - he was a high school coach
94. What does Bernie have to remove the handcuffs?
a. A hacksaw
95. What does Renee say about herself that might sound a little far-fetched?
a. That she can predict the future
96. What does Renee try to explain to the Hobsons?
a. PDE's - partial differential equations
97. What does Einstein say of time?
a. That time is a river
98. Whos doing what to make Renee look like she doesnt know what shes doing?
a. Her boss is changing data
99. How does the phony delivery guy escape from McGintys?
a. He gets loose with a pair of scissors when Chuck goes to the kitchen for a soda
100. Why did Chuck need a soda so badly right then?
a. He had a "tickle"
101. What kind of "chances" does Gary ask Lois about?
a. Happiness Chances
102. How many of these chances does Lois say we get?
a. 42 (a reference to Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," in which the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything" was revealed to be 42.)
(for more informaion on Adams and "42" see http://www.aquavitic.freeserve.co.uk/DA/42.htm or http://www.chapel42.com/life/ )
103. What is Garys reaction to her answer?
a. A rare smile and a real laugh
104. Where does Gary find Renee after she leaves McGintys?
a. At the library
105. Where do we see Gary and Renee the next morning?
a. Sleeping head to head on the floor at the library
106. What does Gary say to Cat when he arrives with the paper?
a. "Some day you and I are going to have a long chat"
107. What is the headline in the Paper?
a. "Couple abducted outside coffee shop"
108. What is the name of the coffee shop?
a. Starbucks Coffee
109. What does the sign in the window of the coffee shop say?
a. Employment Opportunities - - Apply Within
110. What else do they serve besides coffee that Bernie loves?
a. Their cinnamon rolls
111. What is Garys comment to Chuck when Chuck tells him his parents are adults?
a. "Adult? My dad?"
112. What is Chucks response to that?
a. "Well *one* of them is an adult"
113. What does Bernie tell Gary over the phone when their abductors call?
a. "Don't deal with him, Gary. No negotiating with terrorists. Remember the Maine."
114. Where are Renee and the abductors to meet before Gary tells Renee to change it?
a. Washington Park on the 51st Street side
115. Where does Gary change it to?
a. A warehouse at Mackinaw & 93rd, in the parking lot out front
116. What time are they to meet?
a. 8:10 pm
117. What is the license plate number on the abductors' mini-van?
a. F98 846
118. Who does Renee believe sponsors her work?
a. The Department of Agriculture
119. Who does her boss say the real sponsor is?
a. The Pentagon
120. What will her research be used for?
a. Destabilize governments, quell rebellions and generate political unrest
121. What is the headline on the Paper in Gary's pocket?
a. "Explosion rocks warehouse"
122. Who arrives on the scene to help them escape?
a. Chuck driving Bernie's truck with Marissa and the Gray Ghost in tow
123. Who arrives to prevent their escape?
a. The FBI
124. What CD does Renee swap for the one the Feds want?
a. Bernies "Best of American Bandstand" CD
125. What does Renee do with the real CD?
a. Destroys it; breaks it in pieces and sticks it into her half-full beer mug
126. Where is Gary taking Renee on their date?
a. Dinner and a movie
127. Whos minding the paper?
a. Bernie & Lois
128. What does Gary leave with them in case hes needed
a. Renees beeper number
129. Where are the articles of concern located in the paper and how will they find them?
a. In the Metro Section; Gary circled the articles for them
130. What does Bernie give and say to Gary as he leaves?
a. Some money and "Desserts on us"
131. What is Bernie's reaction to Renee's outfit?
132. What is Garys final act before leaving?
a. Shakes hands with Dad and kisses Mom
133. What is the weather like as they leave for their date and who drives?
a. Its raining; Gary drives Renee's car
134. How does Gary explain why he knew about the explosion, his parents' abduction, and her mugging in the park?
a. He tells her that he gets "tomorrow's newspaper today every morning on my doorstop with a cat" and that way he's able to predict the future
135. What is her reaction to this explanation?
a. She starts to believe him, but then begins laughing instead
136. Why doesn't she believe his explanation and what could he have said differently to make the explanation more believable?
a. The part about the cat. If he would have said a dog she would have believed him
Thanks to Janet for coming up with half of the questions and inspiring the rest. :)
Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters, Inc., CBS Productions, or TriStar Television. No infringement intended, no profits made.
Return to Early Edition Trivia Page
Last updated: January 28, 2001
© 1997 - 2001, etc. firstname.lastname@example.org