EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Time - Pocket Knife

Author
08/03/00
In the episode "Time"(I think), the one were Lucius saved Gary when he was 11, when Gary gives the little girl the pocket knife w/ her initials on it, does that mean she will be the person to get the paper after Gary dies? Anybody have any thoughts?
Dollene
08/03/00
Yes, Lindsay is the next to get the newspaper. The keychain Gary gave her is the same one Lucius gave him. The initials changed because she was the one chosen. At least we know that goodness will go on even if we can get the execs at the network to renew the show.
Ren713
08/03/00
I'd like to think she gets the paper sometime in the future, but not necessarily after he dies. I'd like to think maybe after he gets married and has a baby and his priorities in life have to change.
mike613
08/03/00
I agree. Gary's in his mid-30's. Another 30 or so years of getting the paper would drive him over the edge.
SkyDancer59
08/03/00
I wouldn't think the paper would bother him at all. I remember in an earlier episode it was pointed out that Gary needs the excitement of the paper to keep him on the go and feeling worthwhile and stimulated.

Snow managed his life and lived to serve the paper until he was almost 75. They commented about how he always set the type before the paper came out...then we know it was all computerized. We know Snow was married.

Although its a pain, I think Gary has the paper because of that need to be constantly challenged. I would think having a wife and children would only give him something wonderful to come home to at the end of the day, something to always smile about. While every relationship is rocky, I am surrounded by military families who's separation from their spouses is an accepted way of life. Women CAN be supportive and loving without require their husbands to be around all the time.

Then again if they really wanted to kill the show off, I suppose they could show Gary making the decision to hand the paper off to someone else to be with his children like the guy in New York did.

Candii
08/04/00
Finally! I finally figured out how to get into this message board! It took me a while, but I figured out what the problem was. :) Anyway, about gary and the paper, I think that I would rather see him enjoy his life for a change, without the headache of dealing with the paper. I want to see him married, and with children, a dog maybe, and a loving wife. I just can't see him saying, "Oh honey, I'm right in the middle of changing Zeke's diaper, but I have to run across town to stop a woman from choking to death, do you mind?" :)

I mean,to continue receiving the paper after he is married will have to take a pretty understanding woman and I don't feel that either Erica, or Brigatti can be *THAT* understanding. :)

I do have another question though. In the episode the Paper, did anyone else feel that that paper didn't like Meredith, and was trying to kill her. I watched it several times, and that was the first time that I had ever seen the paper react in such a way that seemed eerie and diabolical. It was like it was tring to get her to look at it. To entice her, and maybe mess things up between her and gary maybe?
In the apartment, the way that it was blowing on the table. (could have been the wind from the open window ) Outside of the apartment when she was going to leave it on gary's doorstop, again it was blowing. On the roof top, the way that it flashed "reporter falls to death" and then when Meredith stepped closer to look, the headline disappeared only to reappear afer she slipped while trying to grasp it. This was the first time that the paper ever gave me a creepy feeling. Did anyone else feel that way, or notice it?
Dollene
08/04/00
I felt the paper enticed Meredith and that it didn't particularly like her but I never thought about the diobolical part. You make a good point. Makes sense.
TerriRuth
08/04/00
As unhappy a thought as it might be, I don't think Gary is ever meant to be with someone. In "The Cat," Snow left the love of his life in Rome because of the paper, or if he had been married I think he probably starting receiving the paper after his wife died. Gary started receiving the paper when Marcia left him. Both men were at a crossroads in their lives and needed something to fill the void. Both were good men and would do honor to having the paper. As for the paper being diabolical, no. Meredith was naturally curious and when she chased the paper when it flew up and over the building it changed the headline. I don't think the paper was out to get her.
TerriRuth
08/04/00
SkyDancer59, my husband is in the military, so now I'm curious about your comment about being surrounded by military families. It's true that you are separated for periods of time, but you are always supportive of what they are doing.
SkyDancer59
08/04/00
I live in Virginia Beach, VA in the middle of Navy East Coast Operations. The F-14's and F-18's from NAS Oceana scream over my apartment building all day long (to the detriment of my nerves <g>). I'm spoiled by the low hum of the A-6's that flew when I first moved here.

One of my friend's husband just came off a 6-month cruise and they really love each other. With the ship's e-mail she was able to talk to him every day. She sent him care packages while he was on the boat, she anguished when he had secured an early arrival back, but the plane taking the group had problems and they got stuck in Spain with nowhere to sleep. She rejoiced when one of the other wives drove all the way to Dover, DE to pick her husband up and offered to bring my friend's back as well because the rental car place the group had made reservations with was closed when they finally did arrive.

I guess what I'm saying is true love can conquer any separation and I would hope that Gary wouldn't marry someone unless he knew it was true love. Navy wives go through this separation every six months, yet still, for most, their love is even that much stronger when their husbands return.

I would imagine being married to Gary would be no different than someone who's husband worked as a homicide detective. The same amount of danger, the same amount of never knowing where he is or when he's going to come home. At least she'd have those quiet hours of the night when he came home to sleep to touch him and feel connected, something Navy wives don't get the luxury of when their men are at sea.

Gary does have the luxury of those moments and many others. And truth be told, if Gary really wanted to integrate his life he could do what the original guy in New York did...get others to help him. That way he would still have the excitement and unpredictibility of the paper, but time to spend with his child.

I just don't believe he was meant to be single the rest of his life. Snow's made it clear way too many times that he must learn to live his life as well as handle the paper. If Corporate President's and CEO's can be workaholics and still have families, then Gary Hobson can be an 18 hour a day man and do it too. Anything is possible. ;)
mrwiseman
08/04/00
Yeah, I never thought about it. It was weird! I never liked Meredith, maybe the paper didn't either!
mrwiseman
08/04/00
I hate the idea, but I think Gary will have the paper until he dies. Lucius Snow did. The only exception is that Guy in New York who "passed on" the paper to Joey Clams.

I do think Gary will get married and have kids. He will need a woman who understands that saving lives and helping people is foremost in his life (unlike Erica who pseem to pout because Gary had to save a life, geeeze). I vote for Toni Bragatti. She is in the same business as Gary in many respects, she is a cop. Remember the lecture he gave her in the first episode Toni was in, not making your job your life, etc, Gary could of given himself the same lecture (Live your Life). It would be nice for Gary to have a wife on the police force. He would no longer have to explain to a cop why they should show up for a bank robbery before it happens (she will :)). It is ashame their were no more episodes with Toni, maybe even more people would of liked her.

I have written a fan fic about the subject of Lindsay Romick, buy have yet found a place to put it. Lindsay begins to get the paper after Gary's death, and learns about him from his wife (Toni) and three children (a doctor, a cop, and a priest :)). The Sun Time Vault no longers seems to be updating its fanfic. Any ideas?

I am happy about the new message board. The last time I was on the old one I was threatened by the perverted jerk while we were both online. It was very scarey!
Dollene
08/05/00
We don't actually know that Snow was never married, he just never married this woman. He may have loved her just as Gary has fallen for women, but they just weren't the right one. Snow may have married later and she died before him, leaving no nearest kin when he died. But he did go to Rome. So we have the possibility of travel to other towns, cities, countries. So why not marriage. I don't think that whoever sends the paper means for the recipients never to have companionship. I just think it takes finding the right person, just like the rest of us for it to work. I think snow figured it out late in life and that is why he leaves these messages for Gary. He doesn't want him to waste too much time. Because as he knows life is precious and somewhere between the pages of our newspaper, Gary Hobson, find time to live it.
Anomia
08/05/00
Having seen "The Cat" AFTER seeing the 4th season, I guess I thought the guy that - um - Mrs. Cunningham (LOL) fell in love with was not necessarily Snow. I thought it was some Italian guy who had the same "occupation."

But yes, I understand that that early in the series, the intention was for the guy in Rome to be Snow, but...well, Mrs. Cunningham had to have known the guy in Rome she fell in love with was an American, so why did she want to go back to Rome to "find" him? Or maybe it was implied she went to Rome *with* him...OR maybe I didn't pay as close attention as I thought I did. LOL

Can someone help me out? I'm obviously confused. heehee

TerriRuth
08/05/00
"Anything is possible," that's for sure. It's nice to imagine that Gary would find someone, I just don't see the show taking that direction even if there was a season 5. Maybe they would have hooked up Gary and Toni. By the way, my husband is Navy. Go Navy!
dks11
08/05/00
I think Gary is meant to be with someone. Snow may not have married the woman in Rome, but at least we have the possiblity of travel to other towns, states, countries, for Gary. Snow may have married later in life and she passed on before him, so when he died he left no living relatives. Or maybe he realized too late that he could have married and that is why he keeps leaving notes for Gary to live his life. This seems to be the most important thing about the paper that Snow tries to pass on. I think it is very possible for Gary to marry if he can find, like all of us, the right one. Someone who will have patience for what the paper sends Gary's way. There are a lot of demanding jobs out there, Fireman, Policeman, Doctor, Missionary. All of them ask alot out of the spouses. Any marriage has it's trials but with patience and understanding and a lot of help from above it can work for anybody. Even Gary. :))
Chris_stvposter
08/05/00
You can put it on the "Early Edition" fanfic list. Send an e-mail to majordomo@lists.x-philes.com with "subscribe ee-fanfic" in the body.
Ren713
08/05/00
No, I don't think the paper was trying to kill Meredith. After all, Gary gets the paper to save people. Trust me, I'm a reporter, and as many times as I've been convinced my editor is trying to kill me, I've never thought it was the paper itself (Maybe I should look into it.)

Anyway! Because of the above stated career, I don't always get to watch EE, so some of the last few episodes of season four I am seeing for the first time. This was the first time I saw "Time" -- EXCELLENT episode -- and I also finally saw all of "Everyone Goes to Rick's" Kyle in a fadora -- OH MY GOD!!! I read an article when he was on "Homefront" that he fell so in love with his fadora on that show they took it away from him because he started wearing it during love scenes. Too cute!

Is it just me, or do they seem to like to pair Kyle up with redheads? Ginger in "Everyone Goes to Rick's," Meredith, Jeanie, his high school sweetheart in "The Wedding," Rose, and there have been a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. Oh, duh, Kate in "Luck of the Irish." I know it sounds crazy, but there is a part of me that would have liked to see the two of them get together, especially in light of the fact it was the end. Plus, I really thought Kyle looked so cute with such a petite woman. But, I'm being partial since I'm a pip-squeek. And I laughed my butt off when it was revealed Gary was conceived in the backseat of a camaro. I had people in another room come in and say "what's so funny?" and I was gasping for air trying to tell them.
Candii
08/05/00
I'm getting confused with all of these RE: RE: , but here goes, :)
I agree Ren, that the paper probably wasn't trying to kill her, but it did seem that it was trying to entice her to look at it. It could have been just her curiousity that made it look that way, but I keep remembering what Marissa told gary that maybe the paper was trying to steal her from him. Maybe the paper knew that Meredith's curiosity about "it", would certainly push gary away.(He never returned her calls )Maybe it knew that Meredith wasn't right for gary. There have been a few episodes where it seemed as if the paper communicated with gary on certain issues. Halloween is one that comes to mind, its possible that maybe the paper was trying to do something, what...I don't know. It just seemed kind of creepy this time because someone was almost killed. But like they say, curiosity kills the cat.
Candii
08/06/00
I also thought that Gary and Kate from "Luck" made a very, very cute couple and I was kind of hopeing that those two would get together. :) She was beautiful just like Lois said, and had a wonderful personality. She was sweet, and vulerable, and forgiving, (if gary had made me lose 1 million, I don't know if I could have been that forgiving)but just like her brother, she had spice, spunk, fire or whatever you want to call it and she looked cute standing next to gary's 6 ft something stature. I also thought that she had a *wifey* look about her too. *Kate* I could see with a stroller in one hand and a diaper bag on her shoulder. And on those late nights when gary stumbles in, tired from a long hard day, she's there, worried, but patiently waiting for him wih the baby tucked in for the night, a small dinner and hot bath ready for him. Brigatti would have probably'
been waiting for him with a rolling pin if she would have been there at all. Detectives have a very demanding job I'm sure but it's time for gary to live his life and he needs someone to be there for him.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0002.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com