EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Why didn't Erica stay with Gary?

Author
08/13/00
In the episode "Blowing up is hard to do", in the beginning of the episode, Erica sees all these couples making out and sees Gary going out the door looking at the paper to see who is in trouble. Erica begins to have doubts about their relationship, after the dinner their dinner with Detective Armstrong and his wife, Erica and Gary begin to argue and Erica breaks up with Gary, and at the end of the episode, when Gary races to the train station, he finds out that Erica and Henry caught an earlier train because she knew that if Gary ask her to stay, she would say yes. So let me ask everyone this question, Erica knew about the paper and that Gary has a responsibility and she knew that a relationship have their ups and downs and that she still loves Gary, but yet she leaves, can anybody tell me why?
Ren713
08/13/00
At the risk of sounding really mean, who cares just as long as she left? I've never firgured out anything Erica.
Candii
08/14/00
Hi Spidermax. I think that I can answer that question for you, and if I am wrong, please someone correct me. :) To make a long story short, Erica wanted marriage. Gary, in his own little world, satisfied with the way things were going with him and Erica, didn't have a clue as to what she *really* wanted. Remember at the dinner he made a remark about he and Erica wanted to take things slow, being that each of them had been married once before. Erica of course didn't feel that way, and wasn't too pleased with gary speaking on her behalf about the matter.

When they were walking home that night after dinner, Gary made a remark about couples not needing marriage to be happy, and that things were fine between the two of them, to which Erica simply replied "No it isn't." Gary, again clueless, stood there all.... "Duhhh....huh? (Not his exact words, but you get the picture...I hope ) :) Gary liked Erica, but I can't say that he loved her, other wise I believe that he wouldn't have let her go in the first place, and so easily at that.

When they were in the kitchen, she told him that Henry needed a stable home,and that she was going back to her parents, again she was hinting around that she wanted something more that what she and gary had. She was hoping to hear from him, some type of committment, or something that would let her know that there was a future for them together, and gary didn't supply the right answers. Actually he said all of the wrong things. She ask him if he needed a few weeks notice, in other words until he could find someone else to take over her job, again hoping that he would say something to postpone her leaving, and he told her that he didn't need it, or that it wasn't necessary. (Of course Gary didn't know that he was giving the wrong answers, he was completely innocent to what she was *asking*, totally clueless!)

She asked if he would miss her if she wasn't around, and he said of course, but couldn't even tell her how, or what he would miss about her. I know that if my boyfriend were to leave, I could think of a hundred things that I would miss because he's not around, and gary couldn't even think of one. Poor Erica. :) Poor, poor Erica :) :)Forgive me.... that was mean.

Anyway, I believe that Erica wanted marriage and couldn't come right out and say it. Gary didn't know what she wanted, thats why he asked if she expected him to read her feelings. Gary wasn't ready for another marriage...not yet anyway, and I believe that it was the last thing on his mind right then, with the duties of the paper and all. With all of the negative responses that she recieved from Gary after asking him the questions that she did, she soon realized that she and gary wasn't meant to be. She said in her letter to him that in his heart, he was more sure that they weren't meant to be than she was, and that where ever he went, she wished him LOVE...something I believe he DIDN'T have for her, so she moved on. :)

Spidermax1081
08/14/00
Thanks Candii, i had a hard time figuring out that one myself. U are a true EE fan if I ever seen one before. Thanks again and I hope that I will able to answer anything that u have about EE or anything else in mind.
Candii
08/14/00
You are so welcome Spidermax! I am a female, which is one reason why I can relate to what Erica was feeling. Don't know if I would have caught that early train though. :)

About that offer to help me out with any questions that I may have...you already have. But please stick around, I'm sure that I will need help in the future.
ZIGGY07734
08/23/00
In another episode when Gary was desparately trying to tell Erica about the existance of the paper she thought he had a specific problem. That problem being a fear of commitment. Both Gary and Erica were from broken marriages and commitment by either party was a big step. At the end of that episode Erica finally realizes exactly what type commitment Gary faces every day. I think she is the one who had a fear of commitment beyond caring for a fiesty youngster. Gary already has his hands full. He would not be able to provide the stability, love and attention she needed now just to have a pizza. Marriage is much, much more and an unending rollercoaster ride. This was the only episode with Erica where I could see her love and compassion for Gary. It was when her voice read aloud her letter of goodbye. I've seen so many times when Gary has no dialogue in a particular sceen. But his body posture, subtle movement and facial expression need no words they speak for themselves. Gary and Erica were both sad to be parted but they knew in their hearts it's the right thing to do :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0015.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com