EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Something About Gary

Author
08/24/00
Me and my mom was just reminiscing about the good old days, and the subject of my oldest sister (who is no longer with us, God bless her) came up. We were talking about how all of us kids was just absolutely crazy about her. There were eight of us kids, and between us all, she was everybody's favorite and there was no jealously. Me and my mom was laughing about how one day when each of us kids had gathered enough bottles to take down to the corner recycling station, to redeem, everyone had the same amount of bottles. While on the way, my oldest sister just happen to drop one of her bottles, and the rest of us felt so sorry for her that we each gave her one of our bottles, and she ended up with more bottles, and money than the rest of us. Where am I going with this story you ask? Well, it just kind of reminded me of Gary, and how special he was to Chuck and Marissa. That was something they would have done for him. They were crazy about him, and would do anything to accommadate him. The things that Chuck would do to help him out sometimes, even after Gary has treated him rather rudely, on occassion. I thought about the time Chuck waited out in the cold snow or rain in front of a church for the girl who would abandon her baby. While pacing in front he's mocking himself and complaining about how he always getting himself into a spot for his old pal. "Sure gare...anything you say gare,gare gare!.." He mutters. I thought that scene was so funny!

How Chuck was always kissing him, or hugging him, and telling him that he loved him. So sweet! True freindship is so hard to find. How at the end of the Fourth Caparthian,when they are all around his bed, probably babying, and pampering him after his ordeal, and Marissa leans forward and kisses him on the forehead. So sweet! Another touching moment. In Blackout, how marrissa boldly makes her way to an old abandoned building to stop some kids from being trapped in an elevator. A blind woman! And she did it all for Gary, just to help him out. And the time Gary had the nerve to even ask Chuck if he would give the cat a bath. I don't think that I have ever heard of anyone giving a cat a bath....but I don't own a cat... so I don't know if it's possible. Poor Chuck, he sure gave it a try. Don't know if he ever caught the cat though, but he sure got a few good nicks for all of his effort. There was just something about Gary, and I know that we all would do the same things for him too, IF we knew him in real life. There was just something about him.
Dollene
08/25/00
Yes, there is something about Gary that is very special. The world would be a much better place if there were more Gary's in. Thank you for sharing your story of your sister. You sound very blessed to have had her, if even for a short time.
SnowsCat
08/25/00
Thank you for sharing your story. It made me smile. I agree that true friendship is hard to find, and I am lucky to have someone like a Chuck or Marissa who would do anything for me if I needed it. It also made me think of "Frostbit" when Chuck moved in with Gary and totally disrupted him. Chuck was mad because Gary flushed his goldfish down the toilet. But when Chuck saw Gary's obituary in the paper, he knew he had to help. He walked in subzero temperatures to rescue his friend. I thought it was cute how they made at the end of that episode. Now that is true friendship! Kim :)
ZIGGY07734
08/29/00
Yes, I agree there is something about Gary as well as Chuck & Marissa regarding their devotion to one another. They appear to be from different backgrounds and values. But even when they disagree you can see the disagreement will not distroy their frendship bonds. I suppose that is the reason the cast stays so small with re-curring guest shots for memorable characters like Crum, Brigatti and Armstrong. Although I have seen changes in the content of episodes from the first to the last. The bonds of the frienship between the three stay tight. To me Gary has to deal with the differing natures of his two best friends who seem to disagree frequently with one another; while Gary being in the middle gets to be not only the "HERO" but also the "PEACE MAKER". The world needs more characters like Gary Hobson as roll models to follow not only for the young but also for the young at heart. We have so few positive roll models delivered into our homes on a daily basis today. Congratulations EE & Gary Hobson beacause your creators have made me believe in a new kind of SPECIAL HERO and that is SOMETHING.
Candii
08/29/00
You said it Ziggy! It's gotta be very difficult dealing with the totally different personalities of his two best freinds. I think that their love for Gary is what actually kept them (Chuck and Marissa) together. Do you think? I mean, I know that Chuck and Marissa were also friends who fought like siblings,(ok, cats and dogs)and you have to admit, there were times.......
Take the episode, A Regular Joe. Does anyone actually think that Chuck expected Gary to choose between the two of them? Poor Chuck, I kind of felt sorry for him in that episode because Gary didn't choose (and he shouldn't have) but I guess Chuck kind of felt that his friendship wasn't as tight as he had thought. Not that it wasn't...but maybe thats what he thought. But even so, he helped Gary out anyway. There was just something about Gary.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0016.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com