EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Marcia

Author
09/27/00
I have two questions about Marcia.
1) Did anyone else notice that Marcia is played by two different women? In the first episode Marcia is played by a women with long light brown hair. But in the next episodes like The Wrong Man, Marcia is played by a women with short dark brown hair. I just thought this was weird because she was only the show so little, why didn't they just use the same person? 2) Does anyone know if in any of the episode, if they mentioned anything about Marcia having a brother or sister. Or if she was an only child? Because I wanted to write a fan fic (please no one take my idea) where Gary's niece came to visit. I know on the the show that Gary is an only child, so the only way my story would work was Marcia had a brother or sister. Thanks for your info.
earlydues
09/27/00
>>why didn't they just use the same person?

Entire cast changes are often made between the filming of the "pilot" episode and the rest of the series. The actress that played Marcia originally may not have been available once the series was into full production. /shrug/

>>Does anyone know if in any of the episode, if they mentioned
>>anything about Marcia having a brother or sister.

I've never heard of any siblings for Marcia. We only ever met her parents (in "The Wrong Man").
Candii
09/27/00
I always wondered about Marcia not looking the same as in the pilot episode. I just assumed that after she dumped Gary, she cut and dyed her hair as a way of starting over. From what I have seen of her, she seemed to be the unsettled type. Someone who can't stand to be tied down to one person or thing. I still don't feel that Gary ever got over her, and don't fully understand why he ever fell for a personality like hers anyway. Love is blind I guess. :)
Macredd
09/28/00
An interesting bit of information I ran across in one of Kyle's old interviews: the original Marcia was played by as Kyle states "The actress who was concurrently filming the Home Alone movie". I assume he was referring to Catherine O'Hara who played the mom, but he doesn't say for sure. It may have been a different actress altogether, but the reddish brown hair and mannerism she showed at the window fit. Any thoughts?
tdmiller82
09/28/00
Just a tidbit about the 2 actresses who played Marcia: The first actress who played Marcia in The Pilot name is Marianne Hagan. I think I heard something about her being in the Home Alone movie too. More interesting, though, was the fact that the 2nd Marcia who appeared in The Wrong Man is an actress named Rya Kihlstedt played with Kyle (as his love interest) in North & South Book III (Heaven & Hell)- Kyle was Charles Main & Rya was Willa. Talk about a small world in the acting community.
earlydues
09/28/00
Kyle was referring to Rya (the 2nd Marcia) as the actress that was in Home Alone 3. IIRC, he mentioned that people were wondering if Gary and Marcia would be getting back together. The answer was "no" but he found it amusing because he kept bumping into her while she was working on HA3.
Macredd
09/28/00
Thanks for clearing that up! I appreciate it. Now I know why the second Marcia looked so familiar.
Ren713
09/29/00
Wow! So Rya also played Willa. What a difference hair color and lenghth makes (she had long blonde hair in Heaven and Hell). I didn't watch all of H&H because they had so badly deviated from the book, but if they did stay true to Charles' and Willa's relationship, there were tons of sparks!
tdmiller82
09/29/00
Actually, Rya as Willa in H & H had long dark hair. Willa was an actress who Charles Main (Kyle's character) becomes involved with after Augusta (the mother of his son Gus) dies. The actress who played Augusta is named Kate McNeil- she is the one with the long blonde hair. Also, Kyle was a replacement for the original Charles Main, an actor named Lewis Smith.
earlydues
09/30/00
//Also, Kyle was a replacement for the original Charles Main, an actor named Lewis Smith.//

And I recall being mightily ticked off that they'd replace *MyCharlie* with this dark-haired stranger!

But then, since H&H as a whole was so much different than N&S-I and N&S-II, I was eventually able to accept the situation and even grow to like the differences. <g>

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0026.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com