EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Walk, Don't Run

Author
09/27/00
I somehow missed this one on the network even though I've watched EE from the beginning, so I only saw it for the second time last night. I had forgotten how funny that scene was where Chuck was trying to delay the vote! When he started pounding his shoe on the podium I could hardly contain myself! TFFW! (Guess what that stands for!)
sydney
09/27/00
I know!! That was SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!
tdmiller82
09/27/00
I also like that scene....leave it to Chcuk to find a great way to stall. Poor Gary just wanted to get the stop light & took the supervisor's job seriously even though he initially didn't want to do it. Unfortunately, he learned a quick lesson about the shady aspects of politics.
stephaniearwen
09/27/00
Well, I missed this on the network as well and saw it for the FIRST time last night. Yes, I agree, Chuck being carried screaming out of the chamber WAS To Funny For Words. And as for Gary, let me just say that the more Early Edition I watch, the more I fall in love with this guy. :) It was SO CUTE how ill at ease he was while he was being sworn in. LOL! But alongside all the comments about his naivete (my favorite being the reference to Gary as the guy "who fell off the back of a turnip truck"), this episode showcased his strength as well, especially that moment when Gary walked in and threw the bribe down in front of the other supervisors and told them he WAS going to get that stoplight! YES! I was throwing my fist up in the air for that!

BTW, when Gary came out of his bathroom the day of the vote talking over his toothbrush, and Chuck was like, "Huh??" that struck me as really funny for some reason. Don't ask me why. :)
tdmiller82
09/27/00
I also liked the beginning scene when Gary is sitting in the bar & the patron asked him why he was at the zoo( when he saved the little girl from the alligator) & Gary said that he wanted to get away & the guy says "from what, the stress from hanging out in a bar"? Another scene I liked was when Gary goes to Molly Greene, convinces her that he is not like the other political guys, and asks her help in understanding the motivations of the other supervisors. She gives him pointers and notices that he is not writing anything down, she tosses him a paper & pencil & says "how did your mother ever let you out of the house".
Dollene
09/29/00
Does anyone else think that Gary's speech about who his boss was and he had to do right by them sounded alot like the speech from Mr. Smith goes to Washington? Actually that whole scene about not relinquishing the floor seemed alot like the movie to me. It was a great moment. Brought tears to my eyes. I know politics is a touchy topic but I wish more of our politicians were like Councilman Gary Hobson, go in, do something good for the people, then go back home to your job and your life. Not make a career of it. (Stepping down off my soapbox now)
tdmiller82
09/29/00
I totally agree & I also loved Gary's speech about who is boss is. Gary was a politician with scruples who realized that he was there to serve the interests of his constituents & not be pressured by the bully tactics of the political club that figured that it had a nice looking guy who would keep his mouth shut & do what he was told. I think it would have been interesting(if Gary's tenure as supervisor had lasted for more than 1 episode)to see how Gary would have balanced his responsibilities with the paper & with the supervisor's job.
stephaniearwen
09/29/00
I agree, it would've been interesting to see Gary balance politics and the paper for more than one episode. However, after thinking about it for awhile, I realized that Gary probably wouldn't be comfortable in that kind of position over the long term- he's very shy about publicity (which is understandable, considering). ::sigh:: Too bad- several times I've considered putting a Gary Hobson 2000 sign on my door as a little joke. :)
earlydues
09/30/00
I love those Chuck stall tactics. :)

For trivia's sake, a couple of references in there to historical happenings:

1) Shoe pounding on podium:
In 1957 (or 1960, not sure which) the Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev pledged support for "wars of national liberation" in an address to the United Nations in New York. At one point during the speech, Khrushchev took off his shoe and banged it on the table.

2) "Attica, Attica!" - Tripple reference!
In 1971 at NY's Attica State Prison, in one of the worst prison riots in the nation's history, inmates, angered by overcrowding, poor living conditions, and cruel & unusual punishment, rioted, gained control of the prison, and took 39 hostages. After a four-day stand off, 10 hostages and 29 prisoners were killed when state police and prison guards regained control of the facility.

In 1972, Sonny Wortzik attempted to rob a bank in Brooklyn. Things go very wrong for Sonny and the robbery suddenly becomes a major media event with hundreds of onlookers in the streets, cheering Sonny on as he yells at the police to holster their weapons. They are on his side as he invokes their anger at the police by screaming "Attica, Attica!", a reference to the 1971 prison riot.

In 1975, Al Pacino starred as Sonny in DOG DAY AFTERNOON, which was a film based on the 1972 bank robbery, in which the "Attica, Attica!" scene was depicted.

Now, wasn't that interesting? :)
TerriRuth
09/30/00
Very Interesting. I remember when that Attica Prison riot happened.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0027.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com