EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Why are Gary and Chuck friends?

Author
10/17/00
After watching Up Chuck tonight, I am with Gary in wondering how he & Chuck continue to be friends. I mean we have seen Chuck lie to Gary & on one occasion his lie caused Gary to sport a black eye (A Bris is Just A Bris). Chuck, by his own admission, has even stolen from Gary (Second Sight). You'd think that these serious acts would destroy his friendship with Gary. But they continue to be friends. Why? Any insights?
MsSpider
10/18/00
I've wondered that myself. But I've also known people who have friends like that. Gary doesn't believe half of what Chuck tells him but he trusted him enough to think Chuck managed the bar ok. "Chuck's good with numbers" Maybe when Gary and Chuck roomed together they bonded like brothers. Specially with Gary being an only child the bond was more of a need to be related to someone other than his parents. (Man, I'm getting deep here.)LOL I know I think my own syblings are crazy and a real pain in the butt sometimes but I usually have a good time when we get together.
stephaniearwen
10/18/00
I've always thought that the combination of Gary's forgiving nature and the fact that, in a pinch, Chuck usually ends up doing the right thing, is what sustains that friendship. The comments about them bonding like brothers in college is also an interesting insight, and that probably has a lot to do with it as well.
tdmiller82
10/19/00
Stephanie,
You are probably right that Gary's forgiving nature coupled with the fact that Chuck comes through in a pinch sustains the friendship. I remember in The Wall that Chuck did put his neck out for Gary.
stephaniearwen
10/19/00
Tracy - I think "The Wall" was one of Chuck's finest moments. He really does care a great deal for Gary, despite his grumbling.
mike613
10/19/00
I thought I'd offer some male perspective. We men tend to pick friends that are polar opposites. I guess it gives us a chance to see the world from a different angle.
karens608
10/20/00
Mike- Thanks for the male perspective. Several people have speculated on why Gary and Chuck have stayed friends, but I didn't think that that really explained why they became friends.
rosee
10/25/00
"why did chuck and gary become friends" is probably a harder question to answer than "why they stayed friends." I think that rooming with someone in college creates a bond (someone had said that earlier and I agree with that person). Plus, Chuck is a fun guy. Sometimes, when a person is kind of reserved, and would never do something crazy by himself/herself, this person gets drawn to someone who is not afraid to do things, or to say things. I have a friend who is my complete opposite, and we get along great. furthermore, even though Chuck often comes off looking like a jerk, deep down, he has a good heart, and I think Gary knows that.
TerriRuth
10/25/00
As an only child myself, I think Rosee and MsSpider hit the nail on head. You do tend to bond with your closest friends because you miss not having a sibling to relate to. One friend I've had for 30 years and we have had a falling out twice over that span. Another friend is daring and outrageous, I remember a few nights out that it got kind of hairy but exciting all at the same time. I'm sure Gary grumbled about Chuck's antics in college, but deep down he liked the thrill, because you'd never do that kind of thing on your own. Chuck, "Waking up in the middle of the night, drunk, in the parking lot, naked." Gary, "I remember that."

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0032.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com