EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Fate - gushing space :-)

Author
10/25/00
I mentioned something about starting a whole new topic for "Fate" earlier this evening, and I figured that since I am currently trying to find good ways to put off doing my Developmental Psych homework, I would start that thread tonight. :)

I think I've made it pretty clear that "Fate" is my all-time favorite episode, and there are many reasons why: (1) It did SO MUCH to maintain the credibility of the show. Gary's failure was something that had to occur eventually, and in tackling that subject, Kettner added new depth and maturity to the series in general. (2) The relationship between Gary and Marissa was extremely well portrayed. Somebody mentioned being blown away with Gary's line, "Marissa, I love you very much, but don't tell me how to feel-" that pretty much sums up my reaction. That scene gives me serious goose bumps, even on multiple viewings. And later, at the carpet store, when Marissa told the head of the rescue squad that she could feel Gary, and that he was alive...WOW. VERY powerful! (3) Details! Like the fact that the verse of "Angel" selected was PERFECT for the situation! (4) Performances- SW and KC did an absolutely marvelous job, with KC MOST DEFINITELY deserving a nod from the Academy! The scene in the carpet store always brings me to tears. And there are also other moments worth mentioning:

-The scene at the funeral always kicks me in the gut, especially when Gary's voice cracks on "I'm sorry..."
-Gary's phone call home is extremely heartbreaking. (And it's later echoed to some degree in "Snow Angels.")
-When Marissa and Erica confront Gary after finding his note, and Erica asks him how he could've gone to the carpet store that morning, the little smile on Gary's face when he replies, "Well, I was curious, wasn't I?" gives me the shivers up and down!

On the whole, this was an episode that maintained its emotional intensity and HIGH quality throughout.
Candii
10/26/00
Let me gush too! Steph, you are so right about this episode deserving some kind of an award. Where were the award people when they were nominating and handing them out?

I usually play the scene where Gary is sitting at the bar with a drink in hand. That was a part of Gary that we had never seen before, and to see him so depressed literally torn me up inside. Then walking home tipsy that night, stepping out in front of all things a Sun Times truck, and then his little stumble backward just in time, was just so real! My goodness he looked so lost! Yes, Kyle deserved something for his acting in that episode.
Dollene
10/26/00
It seems we fans never tire of the subject of Fate. I remember the first time it aired I was just blown away. I was so thoroughly depressed. I so wanted to do something to help Gary and there was no possible way. It wasn't until I watched it the second time that I realized this was somewhat of a coming of age for Gary. He realized he was not a super human and he was going to make mistakes, but in the long run he had done so much good. More than, I dare say, anyone else given the opportunity he was would do. I have said before that this ep was the one where the line between Kyle Chandler and Gary Hobson merged. I no longer was watching an actor portray a character. I was watching Gary Hobson. Friend. Who of us would not love to have someone like him as a friend. Not just because of his looks. But because of his nature. This was a wonderfully written character and so wonderfully portrayed by KC and you are right that there should have been an Emmy on his mantle for his work in this ep. The writers and producers should have one too. I could go on and on but I will leave something for the rest of you to gush about. :)
karens608
10/26/00
I know this may sound silly, but I'm envious of those of you who say that the carpet store scene reduces you to tears. I know I want to cry every time I watch it, but for some reason the tears don't come. I definitely agree with the assessment of Kyle's performance in this episode. I remember my first reaction the first time I saw it on the network was that Kyle deserved an Emmy nomination. I know Stephanie said that she practically has the entire episode memorized. I haven't gone that far, but I have memorized the carpet store scene and I've probably replayed it in my head dozens of times. It's funny - I have the episode on tape, but I'm looking forward to when it airs again in a couple weeks.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0033.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com