EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Phantom At The Opera

Author
10/25/00
although Fate is my favorite episode, what do y'all think about "Phantom at the Opera"? I love this episode. In my opinion, out of all the girls Gary had ever been paired up with, Emma Shaw has got to be the one he loved the most. The other girls (Brigatti, Erica, Meredith) were cool, but he didn't seem to have as deep feelings for them as he had for Emma. In "Phantom at the Opera," you could tell that he loved her just by the way he looked at her.

and I love the way they handled Emma's character. When Gary first saw her, the music from the opera (turndeau) was playing. When he sees her for the last time (let's her go to Marco), that same music is playing again.
stephaniearwen
10/26/00
I ADORE "Phantom at the Opera-" I don't consider myself to be a romantic generally, but this episode really makes me swoon, especially when Gary tells Emma that she's worth the risk to him. Wow, if some guy said that to me, I'd marry him in a heartbeat. The other thing that impressed me so much about Gary in this episode was how tuned in he was to Emma's spirit- he really listened to what she had to say, and responded to her so perfectly (the mural on the wall!). And then, to love somebody so deeply that you are willing to let them go so they can be truly happy- again, I say WOW!

Now I could be wrong about this, but I think Emma is also the only woman that Gary was really willing to tell about the paper (except Marissa, of course, but that doesn't count). I can't say for certain if the relationship between Brigatti and Gary, given the chance, could have reached that level or not, but the fact that, so far, only the relationship with Emma has reached this level is very telling, IMO.
rosee
10/26/00
you are right about how Gary was so in tuned with Emma's spirit. I loved it when they were standing on the stairs where the mural was being projected onto them.

I wonder if the paper wanted Emma and Marco to be together, or Gary and Emma to be together. He wasn't sure himself.
It was so cute the way he got so excited whenever Emma asked him out. He never acted that way with Brigatti or Erica...

I just loved the chemistry between Gary and Emma. Both actors were amazing.
Dollene
10/26/00
I love this ep because it was the one and I think only ep where Gary really seemed happy. He smiled so much in this ep and he was just like a school boy with a crush. I just continue to sigh each and every time I watch this one.
Ren713
10/27/00
I think you all have hit all my favorite parts of this episode. Plus, I loved seeing Gary snuggled up on the sofa with someone like that. And he did seem so happy. I think Kyle's facial expressions in this episode are so wonderful.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0034.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com