EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Gary and Marissa as a couple?

Author
10/31/00
Somebody told me that she sometimes wishes that Gary and Marissa would have come together, or will come together in season 5... I don't know whether I shall agree with that. I think the friendship Gary and Marissa have is so precious. :) It is so full of love and respect for each other (just think of the scenes in "Fate"). We all know what can happen to love-relationships. They can become painful or they may just run dry. But a friendship like the one between Gary and Marissa seems to be one of those which last for a lifetime and are a constant source of reassurement for both. Or am I wrong (I haven't seen all eps)? On the other hand, we all wish Gary would finally find REAL love, and Marissa does love him. Mmh, I don't know. I think it would be kinda strange to see Gary and Marissa kissing.
Ren713
10/31/00
I've never really made my mind up completely on this one myself. On one hand, the best relationships are when two friends fall in love, and there is no doubt in my mind that Gary and Marissa loved each other. There were a few times like in "Blackout" and in "Fatal Edition" where I thought they were going to kiss. But, at the same time, I always hate it when TV shows have to turn every guy-girl relationship into a romantic one.
earlydues
10/31/00
Julia_7 wrote:
//I think the friendship Gary and Marissa have is so precious. It is so full of love and respect for each other... But a friendship like the one between Gary and Marissa seems to be one of those which last for a lifetime and are a constant source of reassurement for both.//

I couldn't have said it better. The friendship that they have is a beautiful thing all by itself - there's no need to go any further than that, IMO.

Bluie
11/02/00
*sigh* :( Am I the only one that thinks that Gary shouldn't get a girl? The Paper agrees with me. :D His personality would change. He is unpatient, which means he rushes into things. Now if he had a girl, it would slow things down. Now if there is another way to pass on the paper without having to...er pass on yourself, then he can have a girl. Would you really like Gary to say, "Oh thats all right :), I fall in wells all the time ." Or "Hey pal! Look where you're going next time." Having a girl means his character would change. Woooo...aren't I mister Grinch :D Oh wait we are talking about Marissa. Nah, they shouldn't be a couple because they have so much friendship going on. None of us really want to see their friendship go *Poof* :D Well of course this is my opinion so it really doesn't matter. Come on Season 5!
Julia_7
11/03/00
Ren 713, earlydues- Since I have started thinking about this question I 'observe' the two, and I think it is amazing how Marissa reads Gary's mind! She knows him so well. In 'Frostbit' she says "Good Luck" at the same time that Gary says "I gotta go". She knew exactly what he was about to say. Or in 'After Midnight', when they sit at the breakfast-table, he reads the paper, finds something and she asks "What is it?", and he asks her "How do you know? I haven't said anything yet." I think this is really special. It is perfect and needs no change.

And Ren713, you are right, it doesn't always have to be about 'boy meets girl'. There are so many facettes to life and relationships, and I like EE so much because it is different! It is also different in another way: Did you ever notice that EE doesn't have these usual 'morning-scenes'-where they wake up in bed together after there was a kissing-scene? (Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen *all* episodes yet.) In 'The Paper' and in 'His Girl Thursday' Gary and Meredith kiss wildly, but she sleeps on the sofa. You don't see that very often, I have seen it only once before, in 'Waiting to Exhale', and I think it is a nice change from what we usually see. :)
Julia_7
11/03/00
Bluie wrote:
//Am I the only one who thinks Gary shouldn't get a girl? The Paper agrees with me.//

I think it is such a shame that there's this GREAT guy, and we have to watch him for four seasons struggeling, falling in and out of love, having a girl-friend like Erica (shiver!), and never find what he deserves most: Someone who *really* cares...! Doesn't this make you sad? Maybe you can look it it with more realistic eyes because you are male. I think a lot of people here are women/girls, and maybe we are more romantic somehow? You say the paper agrees with you. I think you're right. In the episode 'The Paper' I realized for the first time that the paper might actually be 'jealous' of someone else in Gary's life. How cruel and selfish!(If a paper can be 'selfish', that is...This is becoming a bit surreal.) You wrote that you think that having a girl would change his character. Do you really think so? I have experienced that people don't change their characters at all, even if they tell you so, - but I agree with you that he would be become more 'chilled out'. Mmh, I would miss his 'grumpyness'!!! Still, I can't help it, if I had a wish for season 5 I would love to see Gary finding 'the love of his life'!
stephaniearwen
11/03/00
I am very conflicted about this subject. On the one hand, I think the current friendship between Gary and Marissa is absolutely wonderful, and I would hate to see that destroyed by a romantic relationship. At the same time, a lot of the things that make the current Gary-Marissa relationship as deep and abiding as it is are the sorts of things that I believe make a good marriage.

My parents have been happily married for 22 years, and I don't see their relationship running dry any time soon, despite the fact that neither of them are in the best physical health. And I think what has made their relationship so successful is the fact that they were friends first. Mom and Dad met at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. Mom was one of the first women to be accepted into the Academy, and consequently, she took a lot of flak from the male midshipmen. Even before they started dating, Dad was always there for her as a friend- he listened to her talk about anything, including the men she was currently dating. Over time, Dad did start dating Mom (obviously), but their relationship started with the same kind of affectionate friendship that exists between Gary and Marissa.

If you are looking for the Hollywood style, passionate sort of romance, then, no, Marissa is not the one for Gary. But I've observed that this expectation of fireworks and rose petals has led to more heart break than happy couples. Marissa seems extremely in tune to Gary's spirit- she understands him and loves him. Written carefully, a relationship between Gary and Marissa could be more realistic and more successful.

Perhaps I'm hesitant to consider the Gary-Marissa option because I don't trust Hollywood writers to develop such a relationship in a slow and credible manner. But then again, maybe the EE writers could avoid all those things that turn me off to most on screen relationships- after all, as somebody mentioned in another thread, they avoided having Gary immediately hop into bed with every woman he showed an interest in. (BTW, I find that EXTREMELY refreshing!!)

So, anyway, I'm practically writing a novel here, so I should probably shut up. :) I know what I've said is pretty controversial, but it's something that's been on my mind for awhile.
Julia_7
11/07/00
stephanie, you are wrong: You shouldn't shut up! I like your 'novels'! :) Your reply made me think about the subject again. You show it from a different perspective. First, let me tell you that I regret that I can't express myself in English as much as I would like to. Hopefully you still get what I mean, it just doesn't sound as good as the other posts here. Thank you for telling us about your family. My parents are divorced, in a quite nasty way, and I have lost the believe in 'Happy marriages'. Over and over again I have seen other families break up the same way as mine. To read about your parents didn't just make me re-think the question of 'Gary+Marissa', it also gave me a little hope concerning marriage and what could actually make them work. You wrote that "this expectation of fireworks and rose petals has let to more heartbreak than happy couples. Marissa seems extremely in tune to Gary's spirit - she understands him and loves him. Written carefully, a relationship between Gary and Marissa could be more realistic and more successful." Now, before reading your reply, I had my mind made up about the two, but this is a good point. All the while I have been talking about how I want to see Gary find "the real love of his life" in season 5. Maybe she's been around him from the start and it was him who was blind?! Maybe they should come together, - but only if the friendship would not be lost but turned into something even more beautiful. Maybe she is the one for him? Have you noticed, in 'Fate', when he comes out of the carpet store, whom he first takes in his arms? It's not Erica, but Marissa...

You also mentioned the writers of EE and the fact that Gary doesn't hop into bed with a girl right away. This is one of the major reasons I like EE so much - because it is sooo different from other films and series! (It gets so much on my nerves, all this 'kiss-> fumble-> sex-> morning after'- stuff. It is always the same! That's what you see on TV, over and over again, and when you're young, you think that's
the way it should be! And this is so dangerous. It keeps a lot of girls away from the beautiful relationships that *could* grow if they wouldn't rush it so much but get to know a guy better 'before'. But back to EE...)I think the whole character of Gary and the others and how they act are extremely well chosen. I think we should trust the people who have invented EE in the first place to be able to employ the writers who gave us 'The Choice' and 'Fate' and other really good eps to write some episodes in which Gary and Marissa finally find out that they are made for each other, without losing their friendship. Who knows, whether there will be a season 5 and what they'll make of it?

earlydues
11/07/00
//I think we should trust the people who have invented EE in the first place to be able to employ the writers who gave us 'The Choice' and 'Fate' and other really good eps to write some episodes in which Gary and Marissa finally find out that they
are made for each other, without losing their friendship.

Yeah, but those same people gave us Erica.... /shudder/ I don't know if I'd be willing to take that chance. ;)
Julia_7
11/08/00
Erica... brrr!(Shiver) Almost forgot about her.
I read somewhere that the EE producers employed different writers for different episodes, is this right? I mean, when I think of the storylines of The Choice, The Wall, The Quality of Mercy, March in Time, Fate, to name but a few, I can't believe that these eps are written by the same people who wrote, say, Christmas and ... well, there are some eps which are somehow 'not too credible',IMHO. That's what I meant: If they could leave it to those writers who gave us the episodes a lot of us enjoyed most, I might trust them to be able to create a beautiful and credible development of Garys and Marissas relationship.
(...Mmmmmh. I'm not really sure if we should take the chance, though. Maybe it's safer to only dream about it. ;) I would wish it for Gary, that's all I can say.)
tdmiller82
11/08/00
Julia, You should write this as a fan fic story. When I started the topic Season 5- If you could write an Early Edition episode for air, I didn't realize how incredibly imaginative EE fans are. I have read some pretty awesome story ideas. It makes you realize that there were so many twists & turns that EE could have taken. Tracy
karens608
11/08/00
Julia- If I'm not mistaken, the person who wrote The Wall is the same person who wrote Christmas. The one I really find hard to believe, though, is that the person who wrote both Fate and Time also wrote Slippity-Doo-Dah. IMHO, that has to be the episode where Gary acts the most out of character.
Julia_7
11/08/00
Tracy, I have never written any fanfic. I have read some of what was written under 'Season 5-If you could write an EE ep' and enjoyed it a lot, but never thought I could do it myself (my English is a bit limited). But maybe I will try, thanks for suggesting! :)
Julia_7
11/08/00
karens608, really - are you sure?! How weird! I thought there are some 'good' and some 'not-so-good' writers, and all we need to to is take the good ones and let them write season 5! Obviously it isn't that easy. Is Slippity-Do-Dah the episode where Gary plays Henry's babysitter for the day, and where he even says that he doesn't like kids? (I have watched it but not taped it at that time.) Nope, I surely didn't like this one. And this writer is responsible for the 'Classic' Fate??? I don't know. All I can say is that I'll have a big question-mark hanging over my head for the rest of the day... :) In the end, the best writers for season 5 are we EE-Fans!!!
karens608
11/08/00
Julia- Yes, Slippity-Doo-Dah is the one where Gary babysits Henry and Marissa claims he doesn't even like kids. I have an episode guide that I printed from an internet site that identifies the writers and directors of the episodes as well as the titles which is where I got the information from.
Julia_7
11/09/00
Karens608, yeah, you are right, really. I checked the episode guide on Earlydues' page, is this the one you were talking about? (There is so much information on Earlydues' webpage! I haven't read it all yet, but I am sure a lot of my questions will be answered then.)
tdmiller82
11/09/00
Julia,
I really think that you should go for it & write the fan fic story :) . Not to subtract anything from the EE writers who have given us some incredible episodes, but I feel that the fans writing fan fic stories put more of their hearts & souls into their stories. For us, it is not about getting a paycheck, but about exploring themes & continuing the lives of the characters we love. We write because we want to, not because we have to. There lies the joy :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0041.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com