EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: A Gary Moment

Author
11/06/00
Every once in a while something will happen to me that will remind me of something that happened to Gary. Even though everyone on this planet have experienced these little quirky moments or situations from time to time, only those of us who are EE fanatics will associate these little moments with EE or Gary.

The other night, in the middle of the night, the phone rang. I have a habit of sometimes taking the cordless to bed with me and when I'm through talking, I will just leave in on the bed. Well, the phone rang. I'm stupid with sleep but I am trying to find it with my eyes closed. I pick up the remote and place it to my ear. Nothing. I'm frantically searching through the covers looking for this ringing phone. I lean out of bed thinking that maybe it had fallen on the floor. By the time I found it, it was too late, I was annoyed and wide awake. But right away I thought of Gary in the episode The Psychic when Chuck gave Gary that cellphone, and I had to smile. LoL!! :)
Dollene
11/06/00
This could probably go under the You know you've beenn watching too much EE when.... Someone is describing a Gary moment and you know exactly what scene and what ep it comes from. :)
rosee
11/06/00
I had this dream a little while back. I dreamt that this girl (a ghost) appeared to me and told me to move out of the hotel room I was living in. She said that the hotel was going to collapse.
Right away, I associated the dream with EE.
1) the girl telling me what's going to happen in the future: Gary knows what's going to happen because of the paper.
2) I lived in a hotel room: Gary lived in the Blackstone Hotel in the first season.
3) The hotel was going to collapse: In the episode Fate, the building Gary was in collapsed.

I think I have been watching EE too much. :)
stephaniearwen
11/06/00
LOL! That sounds like a wake-up scene that could've been in an episode. I can totally imagine the phone ringing at an ungodly hour and Gary, half asleep, fumbling blindly to answer it. TCFW!

Lately, I've noticed myself starting to talk like Gary. Every morning, I say thank you to the campus bus driver before I get off at my stop (I pride myself on being as considerate as possible- EE is partially responsible for that), and practically every time, I walk away saying to myself, "Oh my God, that sounded like Gary..." You all know how he says thank you with that subtle twang? Well, I appear to be picking that up. :) As I wrote in the YKYBWTMEEW thread, you know you've been watching too much EE when you start to pick up Gary's accent.

And like some of you, I always think of Gary when I wake up in the morning, because I am NOT a morning person, and knowing that one of my biggest heroes also has trouble getting up makes me smile. :)

Then there was the birthday present my boyfriend Joe gave me this year- a red pocket knife. A few weeks later, I saw "Time" for the first time, and it was like being plunged into the EE twilight zone- my knife looks almost exactly like Gary's!!!! (No initials engraved in the back, though) I carry that knife around with me all the time now, because it reminds me of so many awsome things. :)
karens608
11/07/00
I had a Twilight Zone moment when I saw Time for the first time, too. When Lois reminded Gary that they had come to Chicago when he was 11 because he had been a finalist in a bicenntenial essay contest, I nearly fell out of my chair because when my sister was 11, she was a finalist in a bicenntenial essay contest. It wasn't sponsered by the Sun-Times, though. (I think I would've really freaked out if that had been the case.)
tdmiller82
11/07/00
The first time I saw "Time" I remembered that I had participated in an essay contest that year & I was 11 too. My birthday is July 4th so I remember writing something about sharing my birthday with the birth of the nation (not that I had anything to do with being born that day, but I'd figure that I milk the birthday angle.)It was for school & I didn't make it as a finalist. I think that most schools and/or states sponsored something to celebrate the biccentenial that year.
ken_joe
11/07/00
I noticed that I've been talking like Gary too. I mean I live near Chicago, but I don't have a BIG Chicago accent. And just today I found myself saying things that Gary would say. Scary. I don't know if this would count as a Gary moment, but it's almost proof that wishing on a star really works. I was at Disney World, and they have that little theme song "If you wish upon a star" well like any EE fan I wished to see Kyle or Gary, I mean Disney doesn't have FFC! That night my brother and I went swimming, we decided to get out early and when we came back to the room, EE was on!!! Pure Luck, it had to be! It was on CBS too!! Maybe they're breaking down and need the show back on. :) I don't know, just thought that I would share!!
Melodey
11/07/00
I definatly have been watching too much EE. The other day I went to my cousin's house, and on the way we had to pass over a bridge. They were working on the bridge, and I saw a guy with a newspaper. Right away I thought, maybe he gets tomorrow's newspaper today, just like GAry, and he had to stop something from going wrong with the bridge. I told my family this and they just rolled thier eyes.
Candii
11/07/00
Yes Melodey, I would say that would qualify as a very Gary moment. :)
shana93
11/07/00
I recieved a wedding invitation today from a friend who is marrying a guy with the last name Fishman. I immediately wondered if he was related to Chuck. I had to remind myself Chuck was a fictional character. But really, is there such a thing as watching too much EE?
MelodeY
11/08/00
Shana93- I do that too!!!!! Also my friend and I call each other Gary and Chuck as an inside joke.
shana93
11/13/00
Yesterday while taking a shower, I thought I heard someone in the bathroom with me. I pulled back the shower curtain just enough to show my face. I immediately thought of Gary when Marissa was standing there holding out a towel to him. The look on his face was so funny.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0042.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com