EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Duck Day Afternoon

Author
10/09/00
I guess you all know from my posts that I really love the serious & dramatic EE episodes (e.g. Fatal Edition, Fate, Time, Blind Faith). IMHO, no one has better facial expressions or plays a tortured soul better than Kyle. However, I was watching Duck Day Afternoon last night & was LOL at Gary's interaction with his parents particularly the scenes where Gary wakes up with his parents standing over him to confront him with lying to them when he was out helping ducks (poor Gary in trouble again!), when Gary is trying to sneak out to prevent the ATM robbery & is caught by his parents, and the dialogue in the bank when all Hobsons are taken hostage. For a guy with such an incredible responsible of saving lives, it is funny how as Gary said, whenever his parents are around, he feels like a kid.
stephaniearwen
10/09/00
Oh my God, this episode is SO FUNNY! I loved it when Lois and Bernie started arguing over the significance of Gary lying the day before, and Gary just grabbed his clothes (sans shoes and socks) and snuck quietly down to the office. THEN, he's about to go out the door when Marissa asks him if he's got his shoes on! LOL! LOL! I almost died with the look on his face, and also with him trying to sneak back into his room to get his shoes, crouching down waaay low so they wouldn't see him through the window! LOL! LOL! It kind of reminded me of that scene in "Nest Egg" where Gary was spying on his mother through the plant (I have that pic on my computer background, it's SO CUTE), and then when he realized that he had been spotted, he tried to crawl away. LOL!

I agree with you on your statements regarding Kyle as a tortured soul, but let me tell you, he also does a fabulous job with comedy. Sometimes, Gary's reactions to less serious situations flat out make my sides hurt! LOL!
tdmiller82
10/09/00
I agree that Kyle can handle drama & comedy without missing a beat. And as someone mentioned in another post, his facial expressions are priceless from hurt to confusion to righteous indignation, etc. This is a guy who can speak volumes with a look even when there is no dialogue.
tdmiller82
10/12/00
An observation: poor Gary seems to be taken hostage at gunpoint alot- e.g. The Pilot, The Quality of Mercy, and Duck Day Afternoon (although Howard Mewser was more humorous than lethal). You'd think that everyone who thought that Gary was setting up disasters so he could rush in and be the hero would remember this & realize that he was just a good guy who gets into bad situations.
stephaniearwen
10/12/00
LOL! Not to mention the fact that a lot of things they accuse Gary of setting up would actually be pretty hard to stage. Gary would have to be a true criminal mastermind to pull some of these situations off! And yet, in "Fatal Edition," Armstrong entertains the notion that Gary might be stupid enough to go back home. Hmmm.
tdmiller82
10/13/00
Did you notice that the scene with Bernie in the bank getting money from the ATM machine he used 0917 as the pin number saying that was Gary's birthday. 0917 happens to be Kyle's birthday....clever writing :)
stephaniearwen
10/13/00
Yeah, I noticed that. But in the second season, wasn't Gary's birthday set in the spring sometime?
tdmiller82
10/13/00
You're right.....in Don't Walk Away Renee (which was aired in April or May I think), Gary's parents gave him the surprise birthday party much to his chagrin.
tdmiller82
10/13/00
Was it me or did anyone notice that the opening scene with Gary sleeping (with the cute smile on his face) and the ending scene of Blind Faith were the same?
Dollene
10/13/00
Yeah, I noticed. But wasn't it worth using twice? :)
tdmiller82
10/13/00
Definitely :) :) :)
tdmiller82
11/11/00
For those EE fans who have not yet seen this episode, you are in for a treat. IMHO, it is one of the funniest EE episodes. I love Gary's interaction with his parents. Several scenes had me ROTFL. Duck Day Afternoon is scheduled to be aired on 11/17
Dollene
11/11/00
This is really pathetic. As many times as I have watched Duck Day when I read your post that is was on on 11/17 I got excited. I really need to get a life. LOL. This is truly a hilarious ep. I love William Devane as Bernie. Can you imaging growing up with him as a father? :) My favorite scene is at the end when Lois and Bernie are going home and Gary is trying to apologize and his parents keep jumping in trying to tell him what he is saying. When Bernie finally says "You love us but prefer us in small doses." then Gary replies. "That's it." Bernie is so proud of himself for getting it right. LOL.I could sit and watch Kyle 24/7. I just love his face. And his expressiveness just makes it even more wonderful to watch.
Ren713
11/11/00
I love this episode because it's kind of like a G-rated version of the Dennis Leary movie "The Ref" when the bank robber has Gary and his parents at gun point and they are STILL arguing and driving him crazy.
tdmiller82
11/12/00
I love Duck Day Afternoon. It is on my top ten list of favorites. That's why I started the topic & also wanted to remind everyone that it is on this week. It was such a funny episode. KC's facial expressions are A+ in this episode. The bank scene with the Hobsons & Howard Mewser had me ROTFL, especially the part when Howard says to Lois & Bernie "it is obvious that the kid has trouble expressing his feelings & you are always ganging up on him," to which Lois & Bernie chime in together "we are not ganging up on him." LOL.
You know that I never tire of watching Kyle :) :) :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0047.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com