EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: If you could write an EE episode...

Author
11/18/00
We love Early Edition & the characters. We know these characters have been on their emotional journeys for 4 years. Not to subtract form the talents of the writers who have given us, IMHO, A+ episodes (to name a few) like Fate, Fatal Edition, Time, but we are a creative bunch of fans with incredible ideas. If you could write an EE episode for air, what would it be? Would it be dramatic or comedic? An extension on a prevailing theme or an entire new concept?
Ren713
10/08/00
I would have liked to written the episodes where Gary meets the woman he was going to marry, follow them through the relationship, when they realized they fell in love, them getting married and having a family. I would have loved to see Gary find out he was going to be a father and in the delivery room! I also would have written an episode where he does get one day to himself. Maybe send he and the woman of his dreams to a baseball game and a picnic.
SnowsCat
10/08/00
We must be on the same wavelength...I wanted nothing more than for Gary to meet a woman, get married again, and have a baby. I agree that it would be cute to see prepare to be a dad and be in the delivery room. Unfortunately, you know the paper is going to throw all kinds of complications his way. But Gary deserves to be happy, he said in the first season that he wanted kids. He would make a great dad!
tdmiller82
10/08/00
I would have loved to see EE episodes like that. Gary has gone through so much & has been stepped on by too many people, it would have been wonderful to see him experience a loving, romantic relationship with the woman of his dreams and them having a child as the ultimate payoff! Gary in the delivery room probably would move me to tears. Also, your other idea with Gary having a day off from the paper would be good too....just a sweet, uncomplicated, fun time for our favorite hero :)
MsSpider
10/08/00
What if Gary reads in tomorrow's newspaper he was getting married. But the name and picture of the bride couldn't be made out. When he tells Marisa about it, the announcement disappears. In its place is a woman needing rescued. In saving the woman, Gary ends up needing her help to save his own life. Every day, for a period of time, this same thing happens. The wedding announcement, the woman needing rescued, Gary needs saved. And it is the same woman every time. When she visits the bar to talk over their unusual meetings, she recognizes the cat and the cat knows her. Mr. Snow had saved her life when she was a child. Gary has a hard time believing his love life is predetermined and fights the inevitable. He tries to convinces himself, he is only saving her life for some other reason but actually only his love for her can save him.
Candii
10/08/00
Clever, very clever MsSpider! :P
karens608
10/09/00
I've been thinking for some time that an interesting story would be an episode showing how Gary and Chuck met and became friends. Since they're so different, I think that there would have to be an interesing story there.
tdmiller82
10/09/00
Yes, I would also love to see a story exploring how Gary & Chuck became friends. I remember in Up Chuck after Gary became angry when he realized that Chuck had been sending someone to spy on Gary & film Gary doing rescues & Gary was talking to Marissa telling her that people wonder how he & Chuck are friends because they are so different. One question though- when did Chuck & Gary meet? I always thought that they met in college because in Frosbit, Gary had mentioned something about them being roomates. I didn't think that Chuck was from Hickory, IN (Gary's hometown). Does anyone know for sure whether Gary & Chuck grew up together or if they met later?
karens608
10/09/00
In Dad, Gary says "Remember the paper route in seventh grade?" when Chuck suggested telling Gary's parents about the paper, which would suggest that they've known each other at least that long.
TerriRuth
10/09/00
I always thought they met in college. Gary could have told Chuck about the newspaper route incident. Renee Callahan and Gary grew up together, but when they come into the bar handcuffed, Chuck had to be introduced to Renee. Unless at some point Chuck's family moved from Hickory and then they hooked up again at college. Using "Time" as a backdrop for what's to come in a season 5, I'd have to agree with Gary finding a wife and having baby Zeke. Maybe we'd get to see Gary 'live his life' just as Snow has encouraged him to do.
Ren713
10/09/00
You know, I love Gary dearly, but I hope his wife could talk him out of Zeke. Whenever I hear that name I think of Ray Bolger in "The Wizard of Oz" and then "If I Only Had a Brain" starts playing through my head...
Candii
10/09/00
I agree Ren, what was Gary thinking when he chose that name? Zeke, was one of Crumb's name anyway.
tdmiller82
10/10/00
Thanks for reminding me of me of that scene in "Dad". I think that sometimes the writers forget when Gary & Chuck was supposed to have met. I do recall in Don't Walk Away Renee that when Lois introduced Renee to Chuck, she said that Gary & Renee grew up together & Chuck acted like he didn't know that (may be like someone said that Chuck left Hickory & regrouped with Gary at college). In the Wedding when Gary & Chuck were catering Gary's ex-girlfriend Jeannie's wedding & Chuck says to Gary that you too moved here (meaning Chicago) to go to college together & then you broke up, one can assume that either Chuck knew Gary & Jeannie from Hickory or Gary told Chuck the story.
karens608
10/10/00
I think it just didn't occur to the writers that they should keep track of things like that. I guess they didn't realize how observant some viewers are. Or obsessed, take your pick.
tdmiller82
10/10/00
I'm sure you are right. We fans know the episodes so well that we look for continuity while so many different writers come in to write episodes that they probably think of the storylines as more contained.
stephaniearwen
10/10/00
I almost choked on a cashew when I read your post! LOL! If I were Gary's wife, I MIGHT consider Zeke as a middle name, MAYBE, but, sweet as Gary is, I'd have to put my foot down for the first name. :)
MsSpider
10/10/00
Not obsessed, FOCUSED! Just very very focused.
tdmiller82
10/10/00
How about an episode where Gary travels back in time & meets Lucius Snow when Snow first got the paper. Gary would look the same while Snow would be a young man. Snow would at first be skeptical of Gary's claims about the paper & might even refuse the responsibility of the paper himself. However, Gary's own experiences with the paper as well as his sincerity & kindness in befriending Snow would enable the two men to forge a friendship.
TerriRuth
10/10/00
Speaking of middle names, was Gary's middle name ever mentioned?
tdmiller82
10/11/00
Since I like the time travel concept for Gary, how about a story where Gary travels back to Hickory & meets his parents when they were first dating (shades of Back to the Future). Gary has to convince Lois that Bernice is the man for her in order to insure his own birth. However, Lois is angry at Bernie's insensitivity & begins to fall for Gary. Can't you imagine the comedy of errors that would follow? Wouldn't Kyle be a riot in this kind of scenario? :) :) :)
Melodey
10/11/00
I've been thinking about writing a fan fic that would take place during season five. In the season premiere gary's neice (Marcia's brother's daughter) would come to stay with Gary while her Dad was in the hospital. The girl would be very spunky and lively and would get gary out of his grumpy moods.
Also I would have Chuck come back because the show just isn't the same without him. Of course he would be married to Jade. Chuck and gary's neice would play tricks on each other and tease each other a lot.
Another idea I had was that his niece starts to go to shcool and she has to do a report about a person who lived in Chicago and is now dead. And she just happens to get Lucious Snow as her person. I thought that would ne a cool way for Gary to find out more about him and the paper.
Candii
10/13/00
It's a cold evening in Chicago, Meredith is in town on business, and while visiting Gary, they end up in one of their steamy moments. :) Theres a knock at the door, and it ain't the cat. It's Marsha. Meredith leaves in a huff, and a very confused Gary is left with a very amused and quite envious Marsha,who's intent for this little visit was to try and win him back.....or to make life miserable for him all over again.

Next morning, paper says that both will be killed in separate accidents, Gary must try to figure out how to save them both.
tdmiller82
10/12/00
Interesting idea.....isn't it just like Marcia to decide she wants Gary back after he has moved on with his life? Remember she had the nerve to ask Gary to dinner right after divorcing him. I must admit that I didn't care for Meredith either, but it would be interesting to see Gary wrestle with how to save them both. We know that Gary has enough of a dilemma deciding how to choose between saving strangers who may be killed in seaparate accidents at the same time (e.g. The Choice).
tdmiller82
10/12/00
Speaking of Marcia, how about a story which traces Gary and Marcia's courtship. I always have a problem imaging Gary falling in love with Marcia since she was so cruel to him. Even after she humiliated him by changing the locks & tossing his suitcase out the window on their wedding anniversary, Gary tells Chuck that he is worried about whether she is alright. Marcia must have had some good qualities for Gary to have fallen in love with her in the first place. We sure did not see any of them on tv.
stephaniearwen
10/12/00
Hmm. The Gary-Marcia courtship WOULD be interesting to explore. I have also had some problems imagining how they got together in the first place.
Candii
10/13/00
I just love the episodes where Gary goes back in time. A western one would have been nice, sort of like a Destry type of situation where gary has been *pinned* sheriff, (much to his surprise), and has to clean up a totally corrupt, and out of control town, without using any weapons. His only defense would be the paper. Lol!!

Chuck would be his deputy of course and Crumb would be the alcoholic sheriff of the town, who has turned the job over to an unsuspecting Gary because he can't handle the job. Marisa would be a dress shop owner forced to turn over half her profits to some bad guys for *protection* of her business. :)
Brigatti would be the very pretty, and feisty, sharp tongued saloon girl, who happens to be the lead bad guy's girlfriend, *who* just happens to have an eye for our hero. ;)

Gary looks good in any type of hat, and a cowboy hat would have looked perfect on him in this episode. I can just see him, and Chuck decked out in their cowboy attire, checkered shirt, vests, boots, scarf the whole bit. Lol!! Of course Chuck would wear his hat sideways, like the deputy on Gun Smoke. :)

Not sure where I would go with this episode, but I'm cracking up just thinking about it. Lol!!
tdmiller82
10/13/00
While I'm not a big fan of Westerns, I do have a soft spot for seeing Gary in uniform & I LOVE horses so it would also be great to see Gary on a horse (my favorite scene in A Bris is Just a Bris was Gary rescuing Abigail while riding the horse). Anyway, can't you just imagine the comedy of errors which would follow with Gary trying to keep the town in order Couldn't you just see Gary trying to get out of sticky situations with his inept but lovable way of explaining things to people? Gary would try to stop saloon fighting all the while trying to avoid the not too subtle signals given out by saloon girl Brigatti. The lead bad guy in the town could be Pritchard- you know lots of money, totally corrupt, and bent on making Gary's life miserable.
Candii
10/13/00
//can't you just imagine the comedy of errors which would follow with Gary trying to keep the town in order//

Lol!! :)

//Couldn't you just see Gary trying to get out of sticky situations with his inept but lovable way of explaining things to people? Gary would try to stop saloon fighting all the while trying to avoid the not too subtle signals given out by saloon girl Brigatti. The lead bad guy in the town could be Pritchard- you know lots of money, totally corrupt, and bent on making Gary's life miserable.//

Yeah!!!! Pritchard as the lead bad guy! LOL!!! :D
Very funny!! :D I'll be laughing all the way to work! :D

stephaniearwen
10/13/00
I'd just like to say that I very nearly sprayed soda out of my nose reading your posts about the western. Oh my God, that would be SO FUNNY! I totally see in my mind's eye a scene where Gary has to rush into a saloon to stop a brawl from getting out of control, and when he arrives, he finds that the instigator of the fight is a head taller than him and something like 300 pounds. CAN'T YOU JUST IMAGINE THE LOOK ON GARY'S FACE AT THIS MOMENT?! LOL! I can imagine what his next line would be too: "Uh...I mean...come on, let's calm down, huh?" LOL! LOL! I'm going to have a hard time explaining to my professor why I'm laughing as I walk into class... :)
tdmiller82
10/13/00
You & Candi have regularly responded to my posts & I have enjoyed your comments very much & I wanted to say thanks (thanks Candi) About Gary having to stop a saloon fight with an unruly 300 lb. patron, I can just imagine a scene with Gary stuttering as he is being hoisted in the air (and can't you just see his facial expressions?) Also, I can imagine the cat sitting near by & Gary saying to the cat, " I could use some help here". LOL. BTW, I still get a big laugh thinking about your cat hanging around ther Camaro comment :) :) :)
Candii
10/13/00
Steph- Sorry about the soda accident, must have been very uncomfortable for you. But the picture you saw I'm sure was the same one that I was seeing, which had me laughing the whole time I was typing that scenario. Lol!! I don't know what got into me last night, but all I could think about was poor Gary in trouble again, and you know how we like feeling sorry for him, and Chuck wearing his hat sideways, and I had this picture of him and Chuck all decked out in their Western attire, and it snowballed from there!! :) Not an original idea, been done before, but to see these two nice guys involved would have been hilarious wouldn't it? :D And when I read your comment about the 300 pound instigator, I almost lost it! :D

td- The part about Prichard was just perfect! I forgot about him, and I was still laughing about it at work this morning. Thanks for the input. What you said about Gary's comment to the cat about needing some help here is so totally....Gary! Funny stuff!. Lol!! :)
stephaniearwen
10/14/00
I also like the episodes where Gary goes back in time, ESPECIALLY "Hot Time in the Old Town-" I was watching this one again this afternoon on my tape, and I just LOVE how they managed to keep the original storyline in tact (...and this man from the future...no wait, this man from the future...ah, it was Mrs. O'Leary's cow...). LOL!
tdmiller82
10/15/00
I was thinking about a story showing how Gary & Marissa became friends. Did they first meet when she became a receptionist at Strauss & Associates or did they meet before then with Gary helping her to get the job? I imagine that they met on the job & perhaps someone was being insensitive to Marissa & Gary jumps in to defend her. Marissa thanks Gary for taking up for her, but also tells him that she doesn't need anyone's sympathy because she is blind (remember Marissa did not like the word sorry). Gary admires her spunk & soon a friendship develops.
tdmiller82
10/16/00
Here's another story: Chuck & Jade come to Chicago to visit Gary & to give Gary their news....Jade is pregnant. Of course, Chuck wants Gary to be his child's godfather. Chuck is elated that he will be a father, but also worries that he doesn't have what it takes to be a parent. Gary tries to convince Chuck that he will be a good father. However, Gary also feels a little jealous since he was the one who wanted the wife & kids. Always intuitive, Marissa senses Gary's conflicting emotions & tries to convince him that it is natural to feel this way & that he should not feel guilty.
stephaniearwen
10/16/00
Both of those stories sound really great! I would definitely be interested in finding out how Chuck and Marissa met Gary. And bringing Chuck and Jade back would also be very cool.

I just woke up a little while ago from a pretty sad EE dream (YKYBWTMEEW you start having dreams featuring the EE characters. Bonus points if you can turn those dreams into fanfics!)- Gary was trying to prevent this guy from shooting himself, trying his best to convince him that life was worth living, but the guy shoots himself right in front of Gary. Then he reads in the paper that the man's son is going to run away, and Gary has to help the kid deal with his father's loss. I don't remember all the details, but part of the story involved a homerun ball in Wrigley Field. Is that depressing or what?! :(
nightowl404
10/16/00
Have a episode were He gets a day off and have chuck come back and have him getting the paper and have him missing up everything. And then gray gets the paper from chuck in the middle of the show and fixes everything else or have it were he wakes up and its just a dream.

Have were crumb find out about the paper that be cool. Hes told just about everyone else . That be a good show!!

If they did make a 5 season they should put one or two new people in the show.
Amy-Kokomo
10/17/00
I've been reading all the posts on this topic and the ideas are great. There is one I've been thinking about for a long time and I've decided to put in my 2 cents worth now, too. How about Gary and Marissa getting together? They have a long history with each other. She understands him, the paper, the cat, everything. She's patient and clear headed about Gary's "job". It wouldn't be the fireworks romance of some of his other ladies, but rather a quiet, comfortable relationship. Then, I'd write in a miracle laser cure for Marissa's blindness and bring back Chuck, Jade and family. :)
tdmiller82
10/17/00
I think we have EE dreams because we are so focused on the show. I've had a couple of them myself- one last night actually involving Gary having to save Armstrong without having to let on about the paper. I'm thnking of writing this story into a fan fic because I feel that Gary & Armstrong have this love-hate relationship with alot of dramatic tension. Anyway, your dream would make a great fanfic story. It would be sad, but the emotional pay off could be incredible.
BTW, have you & Candi thought any more about our Western story? I had a few ideas last night which I'll e-mail you guys about :) P.S. Do you remember the names of Armstrong's wife & Miquel Diaz's brother?
Candii
10/17/00
Speaking of dreams!! :) Wow! As much as I love EE, I can't remember ever having a dream about the show, or any of the cast, but I did last night. My son and I were at this resturant where Kyle was suppose to be promoting his new show I guess, and he and some of the cast members were there having a late dinner. They were in a little room off to the side, and there were a few people sneaking in getting autographs, and I was a little reluctant (didn't want to disturb his dinner and all, you know ) so I sent my son in to do the task. :D Lol!! Unfortunately, he was gone by the time my son went in. Must have gone out through a back door, and when we got outside, their helicopter was just taking off, leaving a group of waving fans. They weren't tearing their hair out or anything, and it wasn't as bad as a rock star scene, but it was sad that I didn't get a chance to even see him. :( Darned graciousness! ;)

If I could write an episode regarding this dream? I can't, again it's the wrong heading for this (I have a bad habit of doing this, don't I?) anyway, I just thought that I would share. ~Sorry~ :)
stephaniearwen
10/17/00
When you say focused, you mean obsessed. :) :) :) I'm going crazy down here because for some unknown reason, campus cable appears to have lost Fox Family! I REALLY hope they fix it, GRR!

Candii- That's a very interesting dream. Congrats on reaching that level of fandom! :)
tdmiller82
10/18/00
In Home Groan, we got a glimpse of Gary's high school days in Hickory. Apparently, Gary was a big deal in high school- star athete, girls falling over themselves to date him (I added that part :) ). Remember Joe, the sheriff, was jealous about living in the Gary Hobson shadow. How about a story showing Gary's high school days? Wouldn't that be alot of fun? :) :) :)
tdmiller82
10/19/00
How about a story showing Chuck & Marissa's families. We got to see Gary's family, but we know nothing about Chuck & Marissa's backgrounds.
tdmiller82
10/23/00
How about a story showing Brigatti's background. We could meet her family, see how (and why she became a cop), and her romantic relationship. Perhaps Gary reminds her of a prior love who hurt her deeply so while she is attracted to Gary, she is also scared about being hurt again. Actually, I plan to create a past for Brigatti in my still developing Armstrong fan fic story (Thanks again Stephanie for your suggestions :) ) But a more detailed Brigatti story IMHO would be interesting.
Ren713
10/26/00
You know, I get the idea from episodes like "Homegroan" and "Don't Walk Away, Renee" that Gary was quite popular and outgoing in high school. That and the line about Chuck waking up in the parking lot drunk and naked. I would have liked to see a flashback episode that showed what Gary was like in high school. I get the feeling Gary was a nice guy, but a little bit of a wild child, which is so different from him now. I would have liked to seen an episode about that.
tdmiller82
10/27/00
Definitely would love to have a story where we could see Gary in high school. About your wild could comment, you may be right. Remember in "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" when Chuck & Patrick were teasing Gary about the tattoo & Gary kept denying that he had one? Maybe Gary did get a tattoo during one of his spontaneous moments.
sweetjesus90
10/27/00
if i could write an episode for EE I would write a crossover episode from "Touched By An Angel" We ala know Gary has problems with the paper and has had some really trying time with the paper but it would be interesting to show Monica or Tess or Andrew or all three angels coming to comfort Gary; maybe even tell him the reason Gary gets the paper!! It would be a real tear-jerker!!! :(
MsSpider
10/28/00
I've got a great story idea :D -- Gary reads in the paper about a program director from a major network who gets shot by obsessed...I mean focused fans because he cancelled a great program. Gary has to convince the jerk not to cancel quality programing.
tdmiller82
10/31/00
Gary has found the woman of his dreams and she feels the same way about him. He decides to tell her about the paper. A complication arises- Marcia re-enters Gary's life & drops a bombshell: She tells Gary that they are not divorced. A snafu occurred in the lawyer's office & it turns out that she & Gary are still married. Worst still, Marcia has had a change of heart and now wants Gary back. She even seems genuinely interested in starting a family with Gary. Gary is torn. Everything has been going so well with the new woman in Gary's life. Yet, Gary sees Marcia's revelation as a sign like he was given a second chance. Noble guy that he is, Gary seriously considers trying to make his marriage with Marcia work.
Dollene
10/31/00
Oh Tracy, say it ain't so. That would be almost as painful to watch as all of season three. Hopefully Gary is smart enough to realize he can let a woman make a fool of him one time but two times is just stupid. He would be better off to go with the new girl. New starts and everything. Oh my, this is sad. I am talking about this like it's a real episode. Snap out of it Dollene! This fantasy world I live in is so much fun though :)
tdmiller82
10/31/00
My vote would be for Gary to start a new life with the new woman too. But you know Gary- he is just too noble for his own good. I can just imagine him feeling like maybe this was a sign that he & Marcia are meant to be together. Plus, Marcia's talk of children would reel Gary in. I can't imagine Gary confiding in Marcia about the paper, though. Or, if he did, Marcia would not be too sympathetic towards Gary's plight- she is just too self-absorbed IMHO. I stll cringe at the thought of her changing the locks on their house & throwing Gary's suitcase out the window on their wedding anniversary. And to rub salt in Gary's wounds, right after the divorce, she had the audacity to say to Gary that he should call her sometimes then come over his place to ask him out to dinner. Surprisingly, as he told Marissa, Gary even considered having dinner with her.
tdmiller82
11/02/00
Okay, so this is not an original idea but I was thinking what if during one of his rescues, Gary is knocked on the head & develops amnesia? He wonders around town trying to put the pieces together about who he is. Chuck & Marissa are concerned when Gary doesn't return home that evening. They go to Crumb for help. Meanwhile, both the cat & the paper appear. Gary doesn't notice tomorrow's date on the paper, but he sees his picture & a caption which reads "If you see this man, call the police." Of course, he erroneously assumes that he is in some kind of trouble with the police & decides to lay low.
karens608
11/02/00
It's really weird that you mentioned that idea because that's what I was thinking of happening to Gary when I suggested the idea of the paper coming to Marissa and her going to Brigatti for help and telling her about the paper. Like you said, I didn't think it was a very original idea at first, but when I got the idea of using it as a way of having Brigatti find out about the paper, I thought it had possibilities.
tdmiller82
11/02/00
Amnesia is such a contrived storyline device, but as you said, there are ways to make it interesting. I like your angle, but I was thinking of a different spin where Gary is hiding from the police (Like in Fatal Edition, my favorite EE episode) because he thinks that he did something wrong. The cat & the paper keep coming to him (acting to his confusion). Noble guy that he is, he still tries to save people without getting caught by the police.
karens608
11/03/00
Actually, my first thought was to have the paper continue to come to Gary because I thought it would be interesting to see him try to figure it out all over again. Hey - I just had a thought. What if the paper came to BOTH Gary and Marissa? (I mean just while Gary's missing.) Another thought I had was that Gary could have flashes of memory, say from some of his more dangerous saves, which would really make him wonder why the cops were looking for him and maybe even make him wonder if he wanted to remember who he was.
tdmiller82
11/03/00
I love your idea about Gary having flashes of memory from his more dangerous saves. The poor, confused guy would definitely be afraid to remember his past.
karens608
11/03/00
Actually, if I remember right, I stole that idea from an episode of MacGyver. :)
tdmiller82
11/03/00
That's okay....I'm sure all writers borrow from other writers at one point. The fun is in just expounding on an idea. :) How's this: In trying to allude the police, an amnesiac Gary runs into Marissa. She senses his presence, but of course he does not let her know that he is near because he is still fearful of exposure. However, there is something about Marissa that makes Gary feel like he can trust her. He resolves to go to her & ask for her help, but when he follows her to McGinty's he sees her talking to Crumb & some other police officers. Afraid, Gary runs away again.
Dollene
11/06/00
I would have liked to have seen an ep where Teresa, the girl from The Mob's girlfriend, came back into Chuck's life. I think he really cared alot for her and now with him being married to Jade that may have caused a few little problems for old Chucko. I don't really like Jade. I don't think there was enough done in Occasionally Amber to redeem her in my eyes. I hate the thought of divorce but maybe there wedding wasn't acknowledge by the church because maybe Jade isn't her real name or some other technicality and then Chuck could get back together with Teresa. Just an idea.
tdmiller82
11/07/00
Actually, I found Teresa more likeable than Jade. Jade stealing the Harland diamond so East & West Morena wouldn't go to war was not enough to redeem her in my eyes. I still have a major problem with her lying about Gary making a pass at her. If she really loved Chuck as she claimed, she would not have wanted to destroy his special friendship with Gary to protect herself.
Dollene
11/07/00
I agree with you totally Tracy. I never really got the impression that Jade was really head over heals for Chuck and I think he deserves someone really special. I don't think Jade was it. by the way, congrats on being the queen of topic starters. Idon't think anyone else has started so many topics with so many responses. Good Job. Keeps EE alive. Long Live EE!!! :)
tdmiller82
11/07/00
Thanks. I'm having such a blast talking with you guys on the message board. I can't believe that a few short months ago that I didn't have anyone with whom to share my EE passion I look forward to visiting this site & reading all the different insights. EE fans are by far the best :)
tdmiller82
11/08/00
We have heard Chuck complain so much about how it is unfair that Gary doesn't use the paper as "a tool for making himself very rich." Chuck has pleaded with Gary (and even sneaked a peek at the paper) a few times. And when Gary was missing & the paper came to Bernie in The Fourth Carpathian, Chuck was angry that he didn't get the paper in Gary's absence. What if there was a story where for one week Chuck inexplainably began getting the paper? Perhaps whomever sends the paper wanted to give Gary a much deserved rest. Initially, Chuck's greedy instincts would go into overdrive & he would want to use the paper for selfish reasons. However, after hanging around Gary so much & have more scruples than even he had imagined, Chuck proves to be quite a hero. In the process, Chuck would begin to understand & respect Gary even more. The two men would forge an even stronger friendship.
karens608
11/08/00
That's a very interesting idea. But I would imagine that Gary would pull a Chuck and keep pestering Chuck to let him see the paper. I can't imagine that Gary could just sit back and relax while Chuck was handling the paper.
tdmiller82
11/08/00
You are probably right. But I was envisioning a story where our dear Gary gets a chance to go on a real vacation with the woman of his dreams. Gary is understandably worried when Chuck tells him that he (Chuck) is getting the paper. However, both Gary & Chuck are both surprised at how well Chuck takes to his new role. I don't know how plausible such a scenario could work, but I guess I just wanted to give Gary a break & also to show another facet of Chuck. I had started a thread a while back entitled "Why are Gary & Chuck" friends." I think that a story like this would reveal some of Chuck's positive attributes & inspire a deeper friendship between the two men. Then again, your story would also be a riot with Gary interfering with Chuck & not be used to playing second banana.
karens608
11/08/00
The more I think about your idea, the more I like it. But, here's what I was thinking while I was eating lunch. Chuck gets into town really late, so he doesn't call Gary to let him know he's there. The next morning, he gets the paper, but he doesn't tell Gary. When Gary doesn't get the paper, he tells Marissa, who suggests that maybe the paper is giving him the day off. Gary's skeptical, but with no clue as to what happened to the paper, he decides to try to take the day off. While he's out, he sees Chuck, and starts to go over to him to ask him what he's doing in town and why he didn't call. Before he gets to Chuck, he sees him save somebody. Gary asks him what's going on and says that if he didn't know better he'd think that Chuck was getting the paper. Chuck gets this guilty look on his face and Gary says, "You did get the paper, didn't you?" Gary asks Chuck to give him back his paper, but Chuck points out that it came to him that morning and that there must be a reason it did. I think you're right and that Chuck would surprise both himself and Gary by doing the right thing with the paper. I can just imagine him saying, "I guess I've been hanging around you too long, Gar."

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0048.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com