EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: It's all in the details

Author
11/06/00
When Ren mentioned the show's subtlety in the "Have you ever wondered why..." thread, it really got me thinking about all the little details that make the show so enjoyable for me. Anything from a particular camera angle to a song choice to a facial expression can (and HAVE) impress the heck out of me! For example:

-The camera work in "The Wall" is incredible! The tilted shots, the shadows, and that 360+ degree turn when Gary came upon the police arresting Chuck really added a lot to the general atmosphere in the episode. The recurring melody in "Fatal Edition" served a similar purpose- these guys are masters at setting a tone with the background details.

-Speaking of "Fatal Edition," I always shout "I LOVE THAT!!!!!" when Gary looks into the broken mirror in part two. That is a totally awsome shot that says a great deal without using words.

-In "Fate," they picked the PERFECT verse from "Angel." THEN, when Gary finally stumbles outside, he almost gets run over by not just any truck, but the SUN-TIMES TRUCK!

-And since I was watching it last night and it's still on my mind, not only did I love Gary absent-mindedly drinking the cat's milk in "Just One of Those Things," but I also loved the scene with the doctor. The way Gary's face was twitching was seriously cracking me up. And then later, when Marissa was trying to convince him to tell Erica about the paper, the way he was fidgeting and fumbling with his hands was hysterical. I will always marvel at how KC can involve his entire body in his performance- not only do I love how you can tell what Gary is thinking by minute changes in his facial expression, but I love how he gets physically clumsy when he's flustered. And the voice gets into the act too with that really adorable stammer! :)

-Continuing on the subject of KC, I have a special place in my heart for all of the early morning scenes, because you know what? I BELIEVE that Gary just woke up every time I see these moments- the tossled look, the blurry eyes, and the slight little stumble when he finally gets out of bed. This guy is AMAZING! I could go on forever!! :)
tdmiller82
11/06/00
You are absolutely right about the details adding to the enjoyability of EE. We all that Kyle does an awesome job with his delivery of lines, facial expressions, and body language. And since you mentioned Fatal Edition (my favorite EE episode :) ), I agree about the mirror scene. Another scene where Kyle's bodily language contributes to the realism of the scene even though there wasn't any dialogue is at the end of Fatal Edition, after the cops take Salvas (The dirty cop) away, Gary just leans on one of the stationary boxcars and breathes deeper, clearly worn out by his ordeal. You'd really believe that this was a guy who had spend the last few days running for his life. Further, the scene where Armstrong is pusruing Gary in the Sun-Times printing room, the background music is so gripping IMHO. I agree also that Kyle does the early morning wakeup scenes very well. Usually on tv when you see a character just getting out of bed, they always look so wide awake & refreshed, clearly not realistic.
Candii
11/15/00
Steph you are so right about the details! You mentioned one of my favorite episodes too, The Wall. There were some fantastic shots in that episode!! You mentioned some of the good ones but you forgot one. The scene where it's thundering and lightening outside.Gary wakes up in the middle of the night and sits up suddenly. The way that the lightening is flashing and lighting up his face in that blue light, well, that has got to be one of the most beautifulest shots that I have ever seen!

In the beginning of The Wall, right before Gary boards the train, you see this white haired gentleman (Marley) standing discretely in back of Gary and we're not even aware that he has anything at all to do with the show. I love it! Also, has anyone ever 'gushed' using the phrase "he's sooo sweet" after seeing Gary in an adorable shot? I do it all of the time! :) Also, the little tune at the end gets me everytime. The shot where Gary is shown resting peacefully after his long ordeal, and they show him sitting on a bench over looking water or something, with Chuck's monologe in the background saying that that paper would never be the same. There is a musical instrument in that tune that seems to tear at my heart. Brings me to tears every single time! Someone told me the name of the instrument, but I forgot. I'll have to look it up.
Dollene
11/06/00
Ilove the wakeup scenes also. His hair is always messed up which almost never happens in other shows. The bed is always a mess. Sheets undone like he's rolled up in a cocoon. The little stumble as he gets out of bed. Each time I do that now, I think of him. His voice inflection, like in Fatal Edition when his voice cracks when he is telling the lawyer about the paper. Little things like change lying on his night stand, tothe pile of papers under his window. The one thing that bugs me is does he clean his own room? It always is so clean and when would he find the time to clean it? :)
karens608
11/06/00
It's funny - one detail that I've always liked is the fact that they use a real Chicago newspaper rather than make one up. Another thing I like (although you wouldn't know it if you don't live in Chicago) is that whenever a newscast is showing on a TV, it features actual anchors from the CBS affiliate in Chicago. I think that makes the show more believable (assuming of course that a guy who gets tomorrow's newspaper today is believable ;) ) I also like the scene in a second season episode (Downsized, I think) where we see Gary sleeping on his couch with a half-eaten pizza and a sneaker on the coffee table. I thought that really made him seem like a typical bachelor.
Dollene
11/06/00
speaking of pizza has anyone noticed that throughout the series when Gary has pizza it is pepperoni, pineapple, sundried tomatoes and extra cheese? I just wonder if this is Kyle's favorite.
Ren713
11/06/00
Since we've mentioned Gary waking up several times looking rumpled and unshaven (which to me just adds to the "yum" factor) one of the episodes that cracks me up is they show the clock and pan over to where his head should be and its his foot. And the camera pulls and you see Gary is sleeping upside down in the bed. I was like, "I've done that!" You know, I would have liked to see Gary fall out of bed once. They did it when he was in prison in "Fatal Edition" when he was dreaming and rolled over to turn off the alarm clock and then he hit the cement floor - hard reality. But I'm talking about something silly. Just one of those days where you don't want to get out of bed, you reach over and WHAP! You're kissing the hardwood.
stephaniearwen
11/06/00
Oh yeah, I also find Gary strangely attractive when he first wakes up, I guess because it makes him seem more real somehow. I love how he pulls the covers or his pillows over his head when he's particularly reluctant to get up. Very cute. :) As for falling out of bed, didn't Gary fall out of bed after one of his dreams with the psychoanalyst in "A Regular Joe?"

I just thought of another moment I particularly liked- in "Walk, Don't Run," I laughed when Gary came out of his bathroom the morning of the vote talking over his toothbrush. I've done that a lot! :)
Dollene
11/06/00
I think this is from Crumb again. It is when Brigatti comes into the office and he has a pencil in his hand and is kind of twirling it and when he sees Brigatti he drops it. I've always liked that. It seemed so natural.
Ren713
11/06/00
I just saw another moment that I loved while watching "Number One with a Bullet." At the very end, when Gary is putting the necklace on Marissa and he just has this tender, proud look on his face. Sigh...
Dollene
11/06/00
I know what you mean, Ren. The way he kind of takes hold of the pendant and makes sure it is lying in just the right spot. Oh to have him put a necklace on me. Oh well, I won't go there. :)
MsSpider
11/07/00
I like the way the stories make you think it is about one thing when it is really about something else. I'm not good on the eppy names yet but I think it was Quality of Mercy he kept saving the killer's life because the killer would have to save the kid's life. The Fourth Carpathian wasn't about Gary being missing it was about getting the four brothers back together. And in Romancing the Throne when Gary and Chuck sit at the bar in awe of the fact that the princess had to be there to save the people in the car. I just think the quality of that type of writing is unsurpassed and very much lacking in much of today's tv.
Ren713
11/08/00
One of the little details that keeps coming up that makes me laugh is that Gary snores. I wonder if that is one of those real life things that has crossed over into the show. But how anyone would know if Kyle snores is beyond me.
Dollene
11/08/00
Speaking of little details. In Romancing the Throne when Gary and Lowe are on the rooftop and she reaches over to touch his hand. He kind of does this little thing with his fingers. Where they intertwine with hers. I just love that.
shana93
11/08/00
After watching Fate tonight (only for the 2nd time), I was amazed at some of the things I hadn't noticed the first time. For instance, Lucius Snow's hands were covered with ink from the newspaper. Also, when Gary leaves the bar and is walking around Chicago, he looks as if he is saying goodbye to some of his favorite spots. This is really great writing and directing, not to mention acting.
Ren713
11/09/00
I agree with you about the details in "Fate" and I often thought it looked like he was saying "goodbye" too. One of the details I love in this episode is when he goes to check out the furniture store the first time and a homeless person comes by with a shopping cart and Gary backs up like he's just seen a ghost. Great detail!
Melodey
11/09/00
I love how in "The Jury" Gary is fidgiting because he can't read the paper. Also I loved Gary's facial expressions when the girl sitting next to him was flirting with him. And when the girl gave him a note and when the judge saw it, he made the bailif read it out loud. Lol!!! I also think it is so funny how people make comments about how cute Gary is. Like when he saved those cheerleaders in "Up Cuck", they said a cheer for him and of course the mentioned that he was strong and brave and really cute. (His face is so cute when they say that. And at the end I love how he says, "That was great pom pom work." Lol) and in the episode where Gary has to pretend to be a substitute teacher, and the girl raises her hand and asks, "Are you married?" when Gary says no, she askes "Why not?" Then he says something like, "Just because" she raises her hand again and he makes this big speech about how he was married and how Marcia kicked him out. But it wound up that she just wanted to say that someone was at the door. :o)

Also I love how the cat always makes sure that Gary finds the article in the paper that need to be changed. I thought that was a great idea. I could just imagine the cat reading the paper before he gives it to Gary, and seeing what has to be changed. LoL!!!!!! :o)

The acting in the show definatly makes it what it is. I think that if all the actors and actresses where different, it wouldn't be as good. Kyle is perfect for the part!!!! (I know Kyle has been in a lot of other stuff, but does anyone want to recommend anything to me? I've never seen him in anything besides Early Edition.)

shana93
11/09/00
Your comments about The Jury are so true. The note passing thing was so hilarious. The look on Gary's face when the bailiff reads "I'm very attracted to you" outloud was so funny. The first time I saw that I nearly spit my drink across the room. That is one of the funniest episodes IMHO.
Melodey
11/15/00
Did anyone else notice that the scence where the bomb goes off in the college (or dorm), in "Love is Blind." is used in another episode. I forget which one, but when I think of it, I'll post it. PLease tell me that I'm not just imagining this.
shana93
11/15/00
Thank you! I thought I was nuts when I saw that scene--I could've sworn that it was the same from "Love is Blind". I can't remember the other episode now that I saw it in either.
Dollene
11/15/00
There have been several scenes used more than once. The most used has to be the scene from the pilot where Gary is sitting by the lake. It is also used in the Wall and one that just aired the other night. I have gone blank. The scene at the beginning of Duck Day afternoon was the end of Snow Angels and the bomb scene was used twice. There is a scene where Gary opens his door to get the paper. It is used at least 4 times. The headline on the back of the paper says The Bloom is on The Rose. I guess it was cheaper to use already filmed scenes like that. And when they are aired weeks apart instead of days it is harder to catch.
Melodey
11/16/00
I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I think the episode was Saint Nick, but I'm not sure. (I'll have to watch my tapes again. LoL!! :D Its gonna take me awhile to find it. i have so many tapes.) When I find out, I'll tell you. Just to prove that we aren't crazy. :)
shana93
11/16/00
I think you may be right about it being Saint Nick. I remember Gary was distracted and later tells Marissa something about almost missing saving a high school janitor from a bomb. Does this ring a bell? I don't have Saint Nick on tape, so I appreciate you letting me know.
tdmiller82
11/17/00
Actually, the episode was A Horse is a Horse when Henry found out about Gary getting the paper & was helping his father bet at the track. Gary was riding the subway & he was thinking about discovering Henry in the office at McGinty's with the paper. That's how he was distracted & missed his stop & barely made it in time to help the janitor.
shana93
11/17/00
LOL. You are right, I remember now. Thanks for clearing that up! :)
Dollene
11/17/00
Everybody loves Gary in the morning and how realistic those scenes are. I hate to even mention this but did anyone notice in The out of towner as Gary walked to the door he scratched his bum, not in a gross way but just kinda like, oh forget it you all know what I mean don't you?
Candii
11/17/00
Hummm...well...no Dollene...I think I missed that part, but hold on a minute, and I'll go check it out......
Candii
11/18/00
...yes, I saw it Dolene. It was subtle, so natural that if you blinked, you would probably miss it. I continued watching, and the part where the guy in the hospital threw the basket of muffins at Gary and he ducked was so funny! This guy is great with comedy! I can't wait until the Joan Cusak show airs so that everyone else can see just how talented this guy is. I'm getting very impatient. :(
Dollene
11/18/00
LOL Candi. I was embarrassed to even post about it. No, I don't watch that area of his body all the time And I had seen that epp half a dozen times and that is the first time I noticed it. I mentioned it because like you said. It was very natural. That is what is great about watching this show. Each time I watch an ep I pick up something else I missed before. Alot of it is with other characters because I focus so much on Gary, but it is fun to see new things in an old show :)
Dollene
11/21/00
This isn't going on the right thread but I can't find the original. argh. Someone posted about the announcer on the radio saying Goodmorning sweetheart in In Gary we trust. I finally went back and checked it. I have the CBS version and it may have changed in the FF version. They have been known to overdub. But mine definately said good morning chica....Then gary shuts of the radio. It could kind of sound like sweetheart if you thought of James Cagney saying it.
Candii
11/21/00
That was me Dollene, Candi who posted about the radio announcer saying "goodmorning sweetheart" You couldn't hear it? LOL!! No, I hadn't even thought about James Cagney, but now that I think about it, it *was* about gangsters and all. LOL!! You were probably listening *too* hard. I know that when I first saw that episode (I have the original CBS version), it was the last thing that I expected to hear, and yet I heard it.

The episode was all about love, and not making time for love, and Gary's being "in love" (yuck!) with Erica. He was love sick and all starry eyed whenever he looked at her. In his dream, when he and Erica were kissing,thingswent beserk, and all because he ignored the duties of the paper for a moment and took time to smooch. I think that the writers slipped that little part in to insinuate Gary's state of mind at that time even though it did seem totally out of character for him. (Looking all starry eyed at Erica, yuck!) But hey maybe I caught something that the rest of you didn't. :D They couldn't slip one past me! hehe :D ~Sigh~ It's so lonely at the top. :(

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0053.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com