EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Some questions about The Iceman Taketh

Author
11/21/00
I just saw this episode for only the 2nd time tonite and I was wondering about a few things. First, where did Gary get that change of clothes after spending the night at the hotel? Secondly, who is it that was after Brigatti on the roof? At first, I assumed it was Amber (knowing she was the thief), but if she already had the diamond, what was her motive for hurting Brigatti? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. :)
earlydues
11/22/00
Hmmm... don't know about the change of clothes. Didn't even notice that! :)

As for the rooftop thing. We were *supposed* to think it was Kettner, but since he seemed to just want to have a "roll in the hay" with her I don't see any motive for his wanting to harm her. When she first got to the rooftop, we saw the door slam shut, supposedly by some*one*. But, if someone was using that stairwell to escape, or to hide with the nefarious purpose of whapping Brigatti with it, then why slam it so hard? My theory is that the door that sent her sailing over the edge was just a problem door. Like whenever the air pressure in the stairwell changes (from someone using the stairs further down the building or something), it sends the door flapping open. Hence, she just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time. But that's just my theory. :)
Dollene
11/22/00
You ask the same questions I have about this ep. It was obvious Gary had not gone back to the loft (per his phone conversation with Marissa, such rotten timing) Unless he snuck back in to keep from answering questions. Marissa did seem a little nosy in this ep. And I always wondered who hit her with the door. If it was Amber I would think Brigatti would have brought up her suspicions in Occasionally Amber. Hopefully someone else will have the answers, I certainly don't :)but it was fun to watch all the same. I was trying to take screen captures and the sound goes off when I do. This is sad but I knew the dialogue and spoke it since I couldn't hear it.
karens608
11/22/00
I wondered about the clothes too. My guess would be that they were in the hotel room for Brigatti's partner to wear. I would assume that he was supposed to have spent the night in the room with Brigatti in order to maintain their cover. Of course the fact that the clothes just happened to fit Gary is another matter. :) The question I have though is - Where did Amber put the diamond after she made the switch? I watched the scene closely and saw no evidence that she was carrying a purse. What did she do, put the diamond down the front of her dress?
shana93
11/22/00
I hadn't thought about the clothes possibly belonging to Brigatti's partner. Thanks Karen! And you're right about the amazing coincidence that they just happened to fit Gary. Although I did notice that the jeans seemed a little more snug than Gary usually wears them (not that I was focused on that part of his body :) ).

As for where Amber hid the diamond necklace, I was thinking the same thing, that she hid it down the front of her dress. That's where Brigatti originally pulled the wedding ring out for Gary. The look on his face was so funny when she did that.

Also, is it just me, or do you all think that when Brigatti was supposed to be threatening Gary, she was really sending him subtle messages? Threatening to handcuff him to the bed, then telling him she was gonna jump in the shower with him the next morning. And notice she didn't close the bathroom door all the way when she was getting undressed. HMMMM!

I also thought it was interesting that Gary was not embarrassed to walk around in his boxers in front of her. Usually he throws a blanket over himself when someone's around. Or was that just because it was always cold in those other eps? Any thoughts ladies? :)
rosee
11/22/00
I watched The Iceman Taketh last night for the second time, too, and I realized that I really hadn't appreciated it the first time I watched it. Watching it last night was like watching it for the first time. (I think I was studying Organic chemistry the first time I watched it, so I wasn't paying much attention). IT WAS SOOOOO FUNNY!!!

I had the same question about where Gary got those clothes from. And I had the same quations about how the door slammed like that on the roof.
I didn't use to like Brigatti that much, but in this episode, I totally fell in luv with her!! She is quite a character, and is perfect for Gary. It's so cute the way they were always arguing and insulting eachother, yet the sexual tension was intense!!!

Plus, I loved Amber. It was so cute the way she acted around Gary. It was also fun watching her because we all know that she ends up marrying Chuck.

This episode had so many good one-liners. It was so funny when Gary told Brigatti that if he were her husband, she wouldn't have to shoot him because he'd shoot himself. :)
shana93
11/22/00
Early Dues, Thanks for your insights about the whole door thing. It's an interesting theory. I also suspected Kettner at first, but dismissed him when he was proven not to be the thief. But now that I think about it, he was awfully pushy and insistent with Brigatti. He seemed to really grab her arm hard when they went into her hotel room. I don't think he was going to take "no" for an answer. I was thinking he would've gotten violent if "housekeeping" hadn't been in the room. I don't know. Things that make you go HMMMMM. :)
karens608
11/22/00
Rosee - I thought the episode was even funnier after seeing Occasionally Amber because of the fact that Amber ended up marrying Chuck. Everybody talks about Kyle's facial expressions, but I particularly liked the look on Brigatti's face outside the jewelry store. She looked so confused - like she was trying to figure out how in the world she was starting to feel attracted to a guy who drives her crazy every time she encounters him. Can you tell I like Brigatti? :)
Dollene
11/22/00
I was wondering about not closing the bathroom door all the way. And why didn't she take her shoes off first. Kinda hard to get hose off over the top of them. Also him and her both running around in nighclothes like they were comfortable with it. I guess i'm a little more self conscious than Brigatti but I wouldn't want to be that exposed in a room with a guy as goodlookin as Gary. ;)
tdmiller82
11/22/00
Dollene, You know that I like Brigatti & have advocated a Brigatti-Gary for quite awhile :). Also, everyone was right about how comfortable both Gary & Brigatti seemed to be walking around each other in their underwear....they sure were acting like a married couple to me....or maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part. :)
mrwiseman
11/22/00
I have often wondered about the door and the clothes. You guys have have some good ideas. I love the part when they get off the dance floor and Bragatti says " If we were married, and you acted like that I'd shoot you" and Gary replies" If we were married, I'd shoot myself." I chuckle eveytime. I think they protest too much ;) if you know what I mean. I too am a big Bragatti fan. Did anyone else watch Gary and his wedding band. He never took the thing off, even after Bragatti had told him outside the jewelry store that he was not needed any more. Did you also notice how the camera focused on the ring(on Gary's hand) and the paper as he went up the elevator to save Tony on the roof. He slept with it in the loft. He even has it on in the final scene, and I have never figured out how it gets from his ring finger to his pocket. It may be an editing error, or we are supposed to believe he took it of as he "fake" dug through his pockets. If this guy doesn't at least have marriage on the mind subconsciously, he would have taken that ring off as soon as possible. Can you tell that this is one of my favorite episodes.
Macredd
11/24/00
Dollene~ we think alike. Everytime I watch this episode I harp on the fact that nobody I know of would ever leave their shoes on and begin removing their pantyhose. Bugs me to no end!

As far as Gary's clothes, great theory on the partner's clothes being there, but in my opinion, he was wearing the same shirt and jacket, just jeans instead of dress pants. He even had his dress shoes on.

I too, love Gary's interaction with Amber/Jade, especially when she grabs his "glutes". It cracks me up everytime.
Dollene
11/24/00
I love the little yelp Gary gives when Amber grabs his glutes. As far as his clothes The jacket wasn't the same. The one he had on the next day was tweed. My theory would have to be that he went back to Mcginty's and snuck in through the back door to avoid having to explain to Marissa and then got some of his own clothes. I love it when he puts the necklace on Brigatti and she sighs. I sigh every time too. And isn't it just the saddest scene when he takes the rose out of his lapel and smells it before he goes to sleep. He just seems so sad. He would certainly have gotten a hug right then and there if I had a virtulal tv. :)
tdmiller82
11/24/00
Dollene, I'm with you....any reason to hug Gary, let's take it :)
Ren713
11/25/00
This isn't so much a question as it is a statement. A while back, I made a comment about the injustic of Tracy Gold gettting paid to have Kyle lay on top of her and kiss her is "Sleep, Baby, Sleep." In "The Iceman Taketh" the actress who played Amber got paid to grab his butt. Oh, the humanity!
Dollene
11/25/00
You got that right Tracy. And Ren I'm with you. I would gladly do it for free. I could have saved them a bundle on their budget with the things I would have done for free on that show. I would have cleaned the set, got coffee, anything. :)
Jenna213
11/25/00
As I read your post, Dollene, It got me thinking...well, what about in the ep. In Gary we trust. They had barely known each other for more than a few hours and they were also walking around in their pajamas. and then in The Iceman taketh, it happens again. What's up with that? And I agree with you that If I were in her place, I'd feel a little more self-conscious, than Brigatti, too. :)
karens608
11/27/00
I think that it's particularly interesting that Gary and Brigatti were apparently comfortable with seeing each other half-dressed when you remember what happened in the pilot. Gary thought Marcia was at the door, but he put on his pants before he went to answer it. What, did his own wife never see him in just his boxers?

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0056.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com