EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Most gut-wrenching EE episodes

Author
11/25/00
What are some EE Episodes that y'alls find pretty gut-wrenching? To me, the most gut-wrenching episodes are The Choices, Faith, Fate, Blind Faith, The Quality Of Mercy, A Minor Miracle, Christmas, The Wrong Man... etc... Let me know what y'all think!
Ren713
11/25/00
"Fate," "The Choice" and "Snow Angels" instantly come to mind. The scene in "The Choice" when the clock hits 2:00 and he closes his eyes shut gets me every time. "Fate" -- Good God, where do I start? That had me hooked from the second he dropped the guy. And I remember when they showed the shot glass being poured and him sitting there, I remember thinking, "This is a REAL bad sign. I've never seen Gary drink when he was upset." And "Snow Angels" when's on the phone with Marissa and his voice just keeps cracking ... excuse me, I have to go hug a video tape now.
Dollene
11/25/00
In Fate does it strike anyone that just seconds after this terrible scene of Gary dropping Jeremiah and he hits the car the perky little EE tune starts playing? It always kind of slaps me in the face. My picks would be The choice, Fate, The Medal, The Gift, and for different reasons Luck of the Irish. That makes my gut wrench to the point that I want to puke.
Candii
11/25/00
Fate of course for the obvious reasons, but also in the episode Faith the scene where Gary is in the hospital rocking back and forth trying to decide whether he should save the boy and risk losing the girl. That scene tears me apart. He looked like he wanted to jump out of his skin trying to make a decision.

Although Run Gary Run wasn't one of my favorite, the scene where Gary is handcuffed in the back of the police car and witness Marissa getting hit by a speeding truck and there is nothing that he could do about it. The look on his face when he is screaming tears me apart too.

Snow Angels, where he tells Earl that he is going to be alright, and then he sees this big gapping hole in Earl's stomach and right away, he knows that Earl is in *big* trouble. The way he looks when he's quickly removing his scarf to patch the hole in earl's stomach looks sooo real and convincing.
Melodey
11/26/00
I think ya'll meantioned the things I was gonna say. :) (Not making fun of anyone with a Southern accent just incase anyone was thinking that)
tdmiller82
11/26/00
All of the above episodes plus my personal favorite, Fatal Edition :). Gary in jail with his head down, tellling Marissa before his arraignment that "he's in trouble, big trouble", coming to Brigatti's townhouse pleading for her to help him, and the end scene from Part 1 with Gary cold & desperate sitting on the street. Just wanted to hug Gary (Dollene & I are big advocates of hugging Gary :) & bring him in from the cold for some "consoling". ;)
stephaniearwen
11/26/00
I'm with you and Dollene- Oh! If only there were such a thing as virtual television! :) All the moments that have been mentioned thus far make me long to jump through the screen, hold Gary, and tell him that everything's going to be okay. Especially when he starts to cry in "Fate-" :( I just completely lose it with this one.
Becky376
11/26/00
If I had to pick the most gut wrenching episodes, it would have to be Fate. That was just an incredible story, not to mention incredible acting. The whole ambiance of that episode set the mood. Really convincing. When I saw it for the first time, I have to admit I cried when I saw Gary crying. I haven't seen Fatal Edition, but reading some of the comments it looks like an emotional one. I can't wait to see it tomorrow. :)
Julia_7
11/27/00
Ren713, Steph, Dollene and Tracy - LOL :), I share your urge to hug Gary 24/7! I think all the most gut-wrenching episodes have been mentioned already. I watched 'Blind Faith' yesterday for the first time, and I couldn't sit still on my chair when I saw Gary stumbling around in his suddenly-dark world, it hurt me so much to see it. I kept putting the tape on 'Forward' because I just couldn't stand seeing him in such a situation. 'Run, Gary, Run' is one of my favourites, because I love the scene where he runs onto the intersection to hold Marissa, even if this means that he may die with her. This scene makes me jump up each time, and the one mentioned already, when he is trapped in the police-car, having to watch her being hit by the truck (shiver...) Fate, the episode that made me an EE-Fan, of course was already mentioned by everyone: The scene where he comes out of the bar and almost gets run over by the Sun Times Truck... (Sniff) And 'The Wall' and 'Fatal Eidtion', weren't these eps pure torture to watch? In Fatal Edtion, when he wakes up on the floor, freezing... And The Choice, another one of my favourites, just before he learns that the plane is saved, when he sits in the hospital, tortured by his bad conscience... One scene that always makes me cry is in Phantom of the Opera, when he lets Emma go to meet Marco, with 'Nessun Dorma' playing in the background... :( (Now, whenever I hear Nessun Dorma' it doesn't make me think of Turandot, but of Gary loosing his love...)
shana93
11/27/00
One scene that always knots my stomach is the scene from The Choice when Gary runs into Marcia in the lobby of his hotel. She asks him how he is and he says "well, I'm getting a divorce, but I guess you knew that." The way he keeps looking at her like he is so angry and trying to read in her eyes why she threw him out, the tension is so thick between the two. The thing that really kills me is that he obviously has nothing to say to her, and yet she keeps talking as if she just ran into an old friend. I was thinking to myself--GET A CLUE, LADY!
Candii
11/27/00
Shana that scene from The Choice breaks my heart too! I hate seeing Gary pining for her like that! There is another scene from The Wrong Man where Gary and Chuck are getting on the elevator and Marcia is there. See how he's standing there looking at her? Oh my goodness, he was practically drooling. I felt so sorry for him! He's looking her up and down and then she gives him the shocking news that she's getting married. It breaks my heart to see him hurt like that, which is why *TRACY*, if you're listening, ;) you'd better hurry with that fan fic of yours to redeem Brigatti! LOL!! She's slipping on my like list again when I think about how *she* treats Gary. :)
shana93
11/27/00
You are right, that scene is also very upsetting. I still can't get over how any woman in her right mind would divorce Gary in the first place. And then to turn to someone like Pritchard----YUCK! :( I think Marcia needs her head examined!!!
Candii
11/28/00
Yeah, I agree. She seemed to get pleasure out of making him suffer, and for someone to be like that, has to be a lit-tle bit off if you know what I mean. Aside from the fact that she let a hunk like Gary go, I would say that she's, smart,intellingent, she has to be, she's a lawyer. But there is something about her thats not quite right. THe little comment she made after they left the divorce lawyers office about him giving her a call, or something like that just totally blew me away! She's not all there. She's like one grape short of a bunch or one card short of a deck. You know what I mean?

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0058.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com