EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Boy, do I dislike Erica :P

Author
11/30/00
I know you guys are probably sick to death of hearing me ramble on about my distaste for Erica, but after watching Collision I just have to comment. To those of you too young to work. Take Erica's interview as a guideline on how NOT to act during an interview. Why was she so hostile? And where does she get off running to Gary to help her find her child. After how she has treated him I would not be able to face the guy let alone ask for his help. and the voice over at the end about accidents changing your life and isn't that just what you need sometimes. H E double hockey sticks NO. He needed her like he needed another hole in his head. Okay enough for this ep. I will probably post ep by ep. If you want me to shut up, just tell me to shut up. :)
stephaniearwen
11/30/00
ROTFL! Don't hold back, Dollene, tell us how you really feel! :P
tdmiller82
11/30/00
Dollene, I am in complete agreement with you so we can ramble about our dislike for Erica together :) I don't know why Gary even wanted a relationship with her. Erica acted hostile & insulting to Gary in MOST of the 3rd season episodes. What a waste to had to endure her for an entire season! And is it me or did anyone else notice that whenever Erica should be working, she is always sitting around the bar or tables at McGinty's eating lunch and/or whinning about something? I'm with the rest of you who said that Gary pays her way too much. I want that job- money to do nothing & a gorgeous boss to stare at while I do nothing :). There's no justice!
karens608
11/30/00
Really, Dollene, it's not healthy to keep your emotions bottled up inside. :P I've said before that I don't recall what I thought about Erica when the third season originally ran, but after reading all these comments about all the lousy, unbelievable things she did, I can't understand how I could have felt anything but dislike for her. For example, I recorded Just One of Those Things when it reran on the network because I thought it was a good episode, but it wasn't until I read the postings about it that I realized what a jerk Erica was in it. I have to say I still like the episode though - maybe because Erica ends up looking like an idiot for not believing Gary.
Candii
11/30/00
ok, forget about what I said about Erica in my last post. Here is what I really want to say. Erica loved Gary more than he knew. She never told him, too much pride, and was probably waiting around for him to say it first, or to say or do something, a kiss, a peck, a hug, a wink.....SOMETHING that might have said hey...I care about you!! He never did. :( Erica would have been waiting around a long time too, because he told Marisa that he didn't have any intentions. Wow! I guess we can draw our own conclusion there. Poor Erica :( :) :P

I think that if she had been a little more careing and sensitive to what it is that he does and helped him out, he probably would have thought hey..she's special. Just like he felt about Emma. Anyway, I threw a party after she and Henry boarded that train, and I never looked back, I'm sure Gary didn't either. :) But I also think that Gary hurt her more that he realized. :( :) :) :) :) :P
shana93
11/30/00
I'm with y'all in my dislike of Erica. Especially cuz my husband really liked her (MEN). Of course, after I pointed out to him some of the instances where she was being a real witch, he reluctantly agreed. It's his opinion, however, that if Gary would've just given her a little more of his attention, she would've done anything for him. To which I responded, that he probably would've paid more attention to her if she wasn't such a WITCH!

Whew, it feels good to get that out! :) BTW, I have now persuaded my husband to our side.
rocketgirl
11/30/00
woah, you girls really don't like Erica, huh? I'm going to be devil's advocate here. True, she was little whiny, but she deserves a little credit. Gary did break like 32 dates in a short period of time. That really doesn't make people feel all that good. Especially when Erica didn't know about the paper, of course she would get mad when he breaks a date and uses excuses like," There was a parade." I'm not putting Gary down here...I know it wasn't his fault, but still, you can't blame a girl for getting mad in this situation. I know Gary is great and perfect and gorgeous and we all love him, but he did get a little irritating. He was always cranky, moody, he never paid any attention to anyone...Erica was just being reciprocal...he acted a certain way, and she reacted to the way Gary acted (quite often, he was cold, and only the only times he laughed, they were sarcastic laughs).
She did give up Mr. Perfect because she saw something special in Gary. He never gave it to her, he never even showed it. When she asked him why she was unique to his life, and what would change if she were gone, he didn't answer her. That really hurts. He keeps saying that their relationship is going great, but he can't tell her how he feels. He tells Marissa how he feels about Erica...if he can tell his best friend, why can't he tell Erica? She deserves at least that. She cared about him, and from the way Gary was talking to Marissa, he cared about Erica, too. He never gave the relationship a try. In other seasons, he managed to go on a date with the women he was currently interested in. He couldn't do the same for Erica, yet he expected her to stay.
Just imagine having a guy who says that he wants a relationship, but is always running off, being distant, being cranky, never articulating his feeling, never paying any attention, always forgetting things, and at the beginning always lying (even though they were white lies)...even though the guy doesn't mean it, a person wouldn't be able to stand that. Love doesn't work that way. Like Renee Zelweger said to Tom Cruise in "Jerry Maguire,"...she deserves his soul. True, Erica could have acted better, but Gary didn't give her much to work with. The relationship failed because of both of them, not just her.

I'm not trying to put Gary down...I love him, and I think there is no better guy, but it's hard having a relationship with him, even though it isn't his fault. Hell is paved with good intentions. And although everything he did or said had good intentions, bottom line is he hurt her more than he realized.

see, he should've married Emma when he had the chance!!! :)
Macredd
11/30/00
The way I see it, the paper deliberately kept Gary and Erica apart, which I'm thankful for. I could never stand her either. But isn't it funny that when he was with Emma he was able to spend time with her (the scene with the popcorn). The paper kept Gary so occupied that he couldn't keep a date with Erica. My point is that the paper was sending a message to Gary that Erica wasn't the one. I also think that is why the cat tripped him in "Weathergirl"-to keep him from going after Rebecca.
Dollene
11/30/00
And whose fault was it that Gary turned into a crabby gus in season 3? Erica!!!!!! :P. I will add more to this tonight when I have plenty of time. ;)
tdmiller82
11/30/00
I'm with you Dollene...Erica brought out the worst in our dear Gary. :)
shana93
11/30/00
I agree that Gary didn't become as cranky until he met Erica, which makes me wonder why he ever wanted to date her in the first place. Maybe it was the push-up bra & the mini-skirts. :)
shana93
11/30/00
I was really annoyed tonight while watching A Horse is a Horse that the cameras angles seemed to be designated to look down Erica's shirt. It's not like her chest was hard to miss at any angle in that "barely there" shirt she was wearing. >:(

While I'm on the subject of Erica's clothing, let me just say that I've never seen the manager of a bar or restaurant dress like that for work. Are jeans and a tight cleavage & naval revealing shirt really appropriate or was it just me????

Candii
11/30/00
Shana~ Erica's wardrobe irked me tonight too, and I hope that she wasn't going in to work dressed like that. With that low cut blouse, she might have been serving up more pop tarts than necessary if one of those things had popped out. (if you know what I mean) :P At the end, did you notice how Gary politely closed his eyes when she leaned over IN FRONT of him just to sit down. I wonder who picked out that wardrobe?! >:(
shana93
11/30/00
She most definitely was planning to go to work dressed like that. Remember, she was on her way out when Henry's school called, then she called Gary to say she couldn't come in to work right then cuz she had to go find Henry. I didn't notice the eye-closing thing. I'll have to go back and check that out.
Dollene
12/01/00
Rocketgirl, I could understand about Erica getting upset with Gary for not showing up on dates, until, she found out about the paper. She still thought she should come first. I know everywoman wants to be first in her mans life. But not every man gets tomorrows paper today. As far as Erica feeding off of Gary's mood. She is the one who came in with a chip on her shoulder and it never got knocked off. Granted her letting Nick go was a big mistake but I don't think she would have been happy with him either. People who only think of themselves never find happiness and unless she changed she will be alone for the rest of her life.
Dollene
12/01/00
LOL! I didn't notice the eye closing thing either but I did notice when she cornered him into taking Henry to the father son thing for school, when she went to kiss him he quickly turned his head so she got the cheek and not the lips. How long had she known Gary to ask him to take her son to this thing? OMG. Lets just force this guy into my life? What was she thinking? I also wondered if they taped her shirt to her chest. That is the only thing I can think of that kept her from flopping out as she ran through the race track. And would a mother, a good one, really say to their son after they found out he had gone to the library in a big city by himself, and he says I am eight, like that gives him the right to galavant around the city. Says okay. Yeesh!!And she walks straddle legged. Okay now for some other observations other than her in tonights ep. Gary should have worn more polo type shirts / They show off his arms really well. :) And when he offered to walk Henry to school after the mouse incident, the little look on his face, the way he held out his arms and turned his hands up as if to say "whatever" was soooooo cute. This was the ep with the twice used scene. The one from Love is Blind with the janitor. On the train he has his old haircut and a plaid shirt. When he gets to the school he has a gray sweatshirt on, then when he jumps for the guy he has the plaid back on and when he gets back to the bar he has the gray sweatshirt back on. Okay nough rambling for this post.
Candii
12/01/00
Shana~ You are right! She was on her way to work dressed like that! I wonder if Gary would have sent her home to change? I know that if Lois was there, I could see her probably saying something to Erica about it. I really could.
Candii
12/01/00
Dollene~ This one could have gone under the Now you see it catagory. LOL!! Gary was wearing the plaid when he was scolding Henry. (wasn't he cute? :) Henry of course was cute too. He was really shaking in his boots, wasn't he? LOL!! Gary can scold me any time if he looks like that while doing it. :)

Anyway...Gary was wearing the plaid when he got to the school, but had on a different shirt after he got home. I had always tricked myself into thinking that maybe he snuck upstairs the backway, and changed his shirt before he when in to tell Marisa about the explosion. But then he's wearing the plaid again later on. Ok so this is the disappearing plaid shirt.
Dollene
12/01/00
As far as Gary not being able to come up with an answer when Erica asked him what he would miss about her, what was unique to her? I gotta stick up for Gary here. I drew a complete blank too. I really thought back over the previous 22 eps and I thought what did she actually do for him. He may have had trouble keeping dates, but he saved her son on numerous times, took him to school, babysat him so she could go to her managers meeting, gave her a great job, I dont know how great it is to work in a bar-but she got to see Gary every day-so it is agreat job. And it obviously payed well. He was tolerant of her moods it didn't even seem to get to her that he was having serious stomach pains because he hated lying to her about the paper. She was just worried he wouldn't make their date.(of course that was before he told her about the paper) Then in the next ep after she found out she accuses him of getting hickies. I mean if he can't make a date with her because of the paper, when is gonna have time to get a hickie from some other woman?
Candii
12/02/00
//I mean if he can't make a date with her because of the paper, when >is gonna have time to get a hickie from some other woman?//

:) Goodmorning Dollene!! I had to laugh at that part. You are right, Gary looked like he went brain dead just trying to think of something unique about her. He also looked like he might have been thinking.."Humm...I wonder if Patrick took the rolls out of the oven" LOL!! :P Anyway, he just wasn't interested. :) :) :)

karens608
12/01/00
Candii- One of these days I'm gonna get caught laughing at a post and have to come up with a fast explanation because I read this message board at work. :) I nearly lost it reading your pop tart comment, and then to make matters worse, I'm a receptionist and the phone rang, so I had to straighten out pretty fast. Don't worry though; it was worth it. :P
Candii
12/01/00
Oops! Sorry about that Karen! :) Sometimes when I'm at work, I think about the things said on this message board, then I get this huge grin on my face. My customers just think that I'm a very happy person, ;) the difference is...I'm not caught off guard with an unexpected comment like some of you. :)
rocketgirl
12/01/00
I hope you all didn't think that I was trying to diss Gary. I love the guy :). But I just thought that a devil's advocate was needed here. Erica was not one of my favorites, but I don't hate her, either. Even though the paper had A LOT to do with the way Gary acted, it is really hard to deal with someone who shows no emotion towards you, but yet thinks everything is all dandy with the relationship.
And she did redeem herself a little with the letter she wrote to him in her last episode (blowing up is hard to do).

(I liked Erica WAY more than I liked Meredith...at least Erica never stole the paper for her own personal gain).

But I know Erica and Gary weren't "meant to be." That's obvious. They just didn't click...but they both didn't click, not just Erica.

I've said it once, I'll say it again....he should have married Emma!!!
Dollene
12/01/00
OMG Candi I think I pulled something from laughing so hard. He was wondering if Patrick took the roll out of the oven. That was way toooooooo funny. Thanks for the good belly laugh. And Rocketgirl~ No I didn't think you were dissing Gary. Differences of opinion is what makes this board interesting. If I wasn't just totally in love with Gary and know that I would do anything to be his girl I might be a little less harsh on Erica. But she hurt my guy and that just can't go unpunished. Play devils advocate all you want. Just don't plan on converting my opinion on Erica. This is my purpose in life, to despise her. Well, it's not my main purpose but it ranks highly. :)
Candii
12/02/00
Oops! I meant to say "...rolls out of the oven" LOL!! Anyway I fixed it, but you understand what I was trying to say. Gary was actually clueless as to what Erica *really* wanted, at least thats how I saw it.
How about the time when Erica accused Gary of hitting the old man in The Last Untouchable? That made me so mad! First of all, she should have known that Gary would never hit anyone(only when necessary of course, Fatal Edition)*especially* an old man. But even when he tried to explain the situation, she ignored him and STILL accused him. Poor Gary!
Dollene
12/02/00
Candi~ roll-rolls, either way it is still funny. Very funny. I got a stitch in my side from laughing so hard. I giggled about it long after I read it. Someone who has a web page should start a quotes concerning EE by Candi. They're too funny. :P
stephaniearwen
12/02/00
I could do one of those "Top Ten Funniest Things Said on the EE Forum," but I should probably put that to some kind of vote first. I'll try to put up the topic later today. :)
tdmiller82
12/02/00
Stephanie, Personally, I'm a big fan of your "cat hanging around the Camaro comment" :) I still ROTFL whenever I think of it. :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0064.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com