EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Gary's injuries

Author
11/30/00
After seeing in Rose tonight where Gary burned his hand, I couldn't help thinking that he injures his hand a lot. Last night in Run, Gary Run he cut his hand on the plate. He also burned his hand in Redfellas. I thought there was another ep where Gary injured his hand, but I can't remember what it was. Oh, and I just remembered he hurt his wrist while saving Brigatti in The Iceman Taketh. Anyway, this got me thinking about all the injuries poor Gary has suffered. He had the broken leg in Where or When, and cut his head in Hot Time in the Old Town. I know there are a lot more, but I am drawing a blank. :)
stephaniearwen
11/30/00
Meredith slammed Gary's hand in the door in "The Paper" as I recall. Poor Gary... but I have to admit, I was laughing pretty hard with Gary on the other side of the door: "Ow, my hand, my hand, my hand..." etc. Okay, what else do I remember...

In "Gun," Gary got accidentally socked in the eye trying to break up the fight on the playground. And he got socked in the eye on purpose in "A Bris is Just a Bris." In "Two to Tangle," he was lying flat on his stomach at least three or four times having his back tended to. In "Blackout," he was hit in the head with a rock. In "Fate," he was caught in a building collapse- he had a limp, and there was a gash above his eye. He got hit by a car in "Faith." He was temporarily blinded by an explosion in "Blind Faith." In "The Play's The Thing," he hurt his leg trying to put out the first fire. In "Time," Baylor's bouncers really knocked the wind out of him. In "Play It Again, Sammo," those thugs grabbed him around the neck hard enough to leave marks, and then later, he was knocked out by Han. Renee cut Gary with his razor accidentally in "Don't Walk Away, Renee." (It counts! He was bleeding!)

Do I win? :)
Candii
12/01/00
LOL!! Hey our poor guy sure got his share of lickings didn't he? You ALMOST covered them all Steph, except you left out a few. Brigatti kicking him on the shin. Brigatti punching him in the jaw. Brigatti pinching him between his neck and collar bone in TIMT. (You probably know what that area is called Steph, I don't have a clue) Anyway, I laugh every time I see that part. :P
Janet486
12/01/00
Here we go ladies & gentlemen. A fairly complete list of Gary's injuries. He burned his hand in Blind Faith, Redfellas and Rose. He broke his leg in a fall in Where or When. He was bitten by a monkey and became ill from that bite in Pinch Hitters. He cut his head on a barrel or a pallet in Hot Time In The Old Town and was beaten by Sullivans goons while defending Eleanor. He got hit in the head with a rock in Blackout. In Mum's the Word the thief elbowed him in the stomach knocking the wind out of him as did Baylor's goons in Time. He cut his hand on a plate in Run, Gary, Run (not to mention the emotional trauma of the nightmares). Meredith slammed his hand in the door in The Paper. (I laughed too at his rapid fire "my hand" in that one. Not nice but it was kinda funny.) In Fate he had cuts by both eyes as well as the limp. In The Play's the Thing he injured his ankle when he was knocked off his feet by the explosion, small though it was (anybody else notice how the limp disappeared at the director's apartment. He got black eyes in A Bris is Just a Bris from the Mercedes guy and the bikers in the bar beat him up in Mel Schwartz, Bounty Hunter. (Anybody care to explain why Gary kept telling his mugger he wanted his clothes back but not his wallet and money in that one? I laugh every time I hear that.)

I think that covers it. Did I miss anything?
Janet486
12/01/00
I did miss one. Silly me! In Two To Tangle he was "beaten" by the "Lingerie Queen", fell from the ceiling in the a/c duct and got hit in the back with the head of the ice hockey referee. Saved him from serious injury but it sure didn't help Gary's back any did it?
Janet486
12/01/00
We forgot his eyes being burned (thermal corneal burn) in Blind Faith (his right hand as well.

John Hernandez elbowed him in the stomach in Quality of Mercy knocking the wind out of him.

Boy, this kid's really been knocked for a loop. Most of his injuries have been minor except for the eyes and the leg.
stephaniearwen
12/01/00
I forgot to mention another one- during the melee in the kitchen in "A Horse is a Horse," Erica accidentally hit Gary's back with a mop.
Janet486
12/01/00
I didn't put the one about the mop in for two reasons. One I forgot and two I was never sure whether Erica hit him or he hit his head on the table he was crawling under.
shana93
12/01/00
Wow, thanks guys! Poor, poor Gary! Saving the world is such dangerous business. :) I think though, that the worst injury Gary had to suffer, was putting up with Erica for a whole season. ;) Or maybe that's the injury we fans have to suffer.
Amy-Kokomo
12/01/00
Wow! There is a long list of stuff that's happened to him! I could only think of one more, in Crumb Again, Crumb slammed his hand in the door in that hotel.
Janet486
12/04/00
Gee, Amy. I don't remember that one. I'll have to watch it again. I liked Gary's line to Crumb about "you never want to know what it is I know that I'm not supposed to know". That's a tongue twister. Rates right up there with the cashew shell bit from Blackout.

Did any of us post the rock or brick in the head in Blackout?
rosee
12/04/00
I think you all pretty much covered Gary's injuries. My mom commented once that Gary can get shot, hit by a car, fall off buildings, etc. but he never gets really hurt. My answer to her was," yeah, I think Gary is protected by a higher power." Then, a couple of weeks later, I watched "The Fourth Carpathian" for the first time, and that's what Crumb told Gary's mom, that something or someone was looking after Gary.
Janet486
12/05/00
We forgot two classic moments! Shame on us.

A man 38 years his senior knocked him out with one punch to the jaw (The Last Untouchable).

And a "witch" sprayed his face/eyes with mace! He was in agony with that one.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0068.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com