EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Bat Masterson - am I the only one who LIKED this ep?

Author
09/06/00
Because I have a sneaking suspicion that I am. I was really moved by how Gary defended Bat and really LISTENED to what he was saying. When Gary told Chuck that he wasn't going to leave Bat at the mental hospital to rot; when, later, he stood in that psychiatrist's office and refused to leave; and towards the end, when he talked Bat down from killing Salazar, saying that Mike Killibrew (sorry, the spelling is probably wrong) was a good man who "has suffered long enough," I inexplicably felt tears come to my eyes. Through all these actions, Gary allowed Bat basic human dignity- and this wasn't the first or last time Gary did this for another person. "Thief Swipes Mayor's Dog" was a pretty whimsical episode, but even in this one, I was struck by how willing Gary was to take Phil seriously. His deeply humane and loving attitude towards others is one of the most beautiful qualities I can see in Gary, and "Bat Masterson" reaffirmed my feelings.

So tell me, am I utterly crazy for liking this ep?
Chris_stvposter
09/06/00
No, I like "Bat Masterson". I like all of the first season, except part of "His Girl Thursday".
Candii
09/07/00
Steph!! I loved Bat Masterson too!! I was going to post my like for
this episode, but some how never got around to it. Who ever wrote this one did an excellent job! Very creative, with the storyline, setting, and lighting and all, it kind of gave me a feeling of being back in the old west.

I loved how gary showed compassion for the old man, treating him like a "normal" human being, when everyone else snickered at the off the wall stories that he told and turned their heads to look the other way, probably wishing he'd go away. But Gary felt sorry for him, and like you said Steph, allowed him basic human dignity, something every man is entitled to.After spending time and talking with the old man gary was able to sense something true, something "right" about this "nut" in spite of the totally crazy things that he said and the circumstances surrounding him and the mental institution and all. I liked how gary stood up and fought for him too, reminding the doctor that Bat was in her care on his own consent and so on. I forgot exactly what else he said but he told her off, he did!

I thought about the ending too, when Bat( whose real name was Mike Calibrew,Kilibrew? ) was going to shoot Salazar, and Gary was able to talk him out of it. It was the way gary told him to just let it go. We can all learn something from those few little words, let it go. Thats a hard thing to do sometimes when we are holding a grudge against someone for a wrong that they might have done to us. But by holding on to that "thing", we are basically only hurting ourselves, and in the long run, can ruin, and possibly destroy ourselves too like Mike almost did. Gary gave Mike back his life by giving him dignity, trust, and his time, and Mike grabbed hold of the opportunity and fought his way back to reality. Mike looked so relaxed at the end, and I wanted to cry. I know that Mike will be enternally greatful for gary's trust, and help.

It would have been nice to see what their relationship would have been like as Mike (Bat)continued to recover, and even after. There was gentleness about him, which I liked. This was a good episode, very good! :)
princess202
09/09/00
I also like Bat Masterson. I love all the episodes!
Janet486
12/05/00
No, you're not the only one who liked this episode. I liked it too. And playing the sound bite of the Bat Masterson Theme from the 1950s was great.

Mostly I like the way Gary stood up for the man (as did Crumb who told the other cops to shut their mouths) against everyone and finally convinced him not to shoot the drug lord.

And I like the way "Bat" came to Gary's aid when the bike thief knocked him out when Gary tried to help the woman cyclist.

There's a lot to like about this.

How about the classic opening when Gary got, shall we say a little careless, and found himself trapped in the elevator for five hours?
stephaniearwen
12/05/00
ROTFL! YES, Gary getting trapped in the elevator for five hours was priceless! Poor Gary!
Janet486
12/07/00
Where was Gary's head? He just got three people to exit the elevator because they were going to be trapped and now he stands there and reads his paper allowing the doors to close in on him?

Almost as funny as Bonanza's Hoss and the Leprechauns or Caution:Easter Bunny Crossing. Now if you want to ROTFL you have to get hold of those two episodes of Bonanza. You might find yourself thinking about Kyle except that he doesn't have the same laugh as Mike Landon who could have anybody ROTFL because of that ridiculous cackle of his! Just imagine big Dan Blocker dressed up as the Easter Bunny and you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about. Mike Landon wasn't the one who got to laugh in that one though. It was David Canary trying not to laugh as "Candy" saw Hoss in the bunny costume. Mike Landon was the one who was ROTGL (That's rolling on the ground laughing) when he heard his brother calling the leprechauns.

Too bad we never really hear Gary laugh. I think it would be a good one.

Do you think this would get him laughing?: What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire? Answer: Frostbite.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0071.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com