EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Fatal Edition

Author
10/01/00
One of my absolute favorite EE episodes is the Season 4 two parter Fatal Edition where Gary becomes a fugitive after being falsely accused of the murder of Sun-Times reporter Frank Scanlon. I think these episodes offered intense drama, deep emotion, and alot of action. Kyle Chandler did an awesome job conveying the torment of a man trying to prove his innocence despite overwhelming circumstantial evidence against him. I also enjoyed the acting of Constance Marie (Toni Brigatti), Michael Whaley (Paul Armstong), and Luis Antonio Ramos (Miquel Diaz). My favorite scenes were: Gary's escape from the courthouse window, his alley goodbye to Marissa, his plea to Brigatti to help him, and his escape from Armstrong in the Sun-Times Building.
TerriRuth
10/01/00
Fatal Edition is on the top of my list of favorites. I wonder if the writer wrote any other episodes, FF is a good one. I've noticed that some of the episodes have been written by individuals involved in other aspects of the show. When Gary goes to Miguel for help, he entices Miguel with an exclusive on the story, but I think Miguel also decided to help him because he had ratted Gary out when Scanlon threatened to sic INS on the janitor if he didn't turn over the information. Favorite line is Brigatti's, "He's more peanut butter and jelly than Jeckle and Hyde." My favorite scenes: Gary telling Marrisa, "I'm in real trouble," before his arraignment, his good-bye to her in the alley, and when he shows up at Brigatti's looking for help. I wanted Brigatti to let him stay and get some sleep, but I realized she had to do her job. Gary also had the last name of the parking attendent initially, but he forgot it. First time I saw this episode I was talking to the TV screen, it's Calabretto! I kept thinking he'd eventually remember it, but he found Joe anyway.
Dollene
10/01/00
This was a very good episode. My favorite scene is when Gary is trying to explain to the lawyer about the paper and his voice cracks. It really made me realize how scared he really was. Great, Great acting.
tdmiller82
10/02/00
Part 1 was written by Jeff Pinkner; Part 2 was written by Doris Egan. I think that you are right about Diaz. He might have been enticed with the thought of an exclusive involving a murder for hire operation, but he probably did feel a little guilty for giving Scanlon the file in the first place. I wanted Brigatti to help Gary, but at that point she was acting more like a cop. Fortunately, she did help him in Part 2.
karens608
10/02/00
One of my favorite scenes in that episode is the look Gary gives Brigatti when she threatens to shoot him if he tries to leave her house. He gives her this slight smile like he knows she wouldn't be able to, no matter what she says.
karens608
10/02/00
Jeff Pinkner, who wrote Part 1 of Fatal Edition, also wrote Blind Faith. I think that's interesting because I would definitely put both of those episodes on my top ten favorites list.
tdmiller82
10/02/00
Something just occurred to me....isn't it interesting that the whole time Gary was on the run, the headlines in the paper related to his siutation (e.g. Fugitive Captured, Manhunt Continues, Detective Killed in Home, Fugitive Kills Two Cops). I was wondering what would have happened if there was a story like The Choice where Gary had to wrestle with saving a child versus risking exposure & capture.
Dollene
10/02/00
Hmmm.... That is what I love about this forum. So many ideas that just make you go hmmm.. :)
stephaniearwen
10/02/00
WOW! What a great idea! Someone should write a fic like this! Or better yet, it should be a prospective 5th season ep!
Ren713
10/02/00
The scene where Brigatti threatens Gary with the gun and he gets that crazy glint in his and that smile on his face when he says "Or you'll do what?" is the absolute sexiest I've ever seen Kyle. I thought I was going to instantly turn into a melted, boiling puddle on the floor the first time I saw that.Gary choosing to save a child or face exposure? That is a great idea!
tdmiller82
10/03/00
I actually have played around with the idea of writing a fan fic story dealing with Gary still having to do rescues while he is a fugitive. I should go for it as I have numerous plot twists & turns for this story. BTW, I agree that Kyle did look sexy during the scene in Brigatti's apt. when she threatened him with the gun
tdmiller82
10/04/00
I like Blind Faith alot too & since both Fatal Edition (Part1) & Blind Faith were written by the same person, I can see why the tone of the episodes are similar. We see a more vulnerable Gary with alot of emotional undercurrents. While I enjoy the funny EE episodes, I have found myself really drawn to the more emotional, dramatic episodes. In my opinion, Kyle does an incredible job conveying emotions. His facial expressions are excellent. Your heart goes out to Gary & you just want to tell him that everything is going to be ok.
stephaniearwen
10/05/00
I'm totally with you on this! I also tend to like the more emotional episodes- "Fate" is actually my all time favorite. I don't care how many times I watch it, I am still utterly FLOORED by this episode. Tears ALWAYS come to my eyes when Gary starts to cry- at this moment, I want to do exactly what you said: just reach through the screen, hold him, and tell him that everything's going to be ok. "Fatal Edition" is also VERY high on my list, especially Part I- the way the evidence was stacking up against Gary in that first hour had me falling out of my chair with fear and anxiety for him. And because it was on again tonight, I will also mention that I found the scene in "Faith" when Gary was sitting in the hospital corridor trying to decide what he was going to do very painful to watch- KC portrayed the torture of the dilemma very subtly (the rocking), but VERY WELL.
tdmiller82
10/05/00
I think we love all the same types of EE episodes :) In fact, I was going to start a topic about Phantom of The Opera when you beat me to it. Anyway, it is a shame that EE never got the media exposure it deserved. IMHO, Kyle has given many Emmy caliber performances. The scene in the carpet store in Fate moved me so much the first time I seen it that I couldn't get it out of my mind. In fact, every time I watch Fate, I'm still moved by the depth of his emotion. Ditto for Fatal Edition, Blind Faith, Time, Faith (the scene you mentioned), The Wall. It takes a good actor to be able to take an audience on an emotional journey with him. Kyle allows us to travel into Gary's mind.
tdmiller82
10/05/00
Here's another thought which just occurred to me: I wonder if somehow Gary was supposed to go through the nightmare of being arrested & becoming a fugitive so that he would uncover the murder for hire operation & save lives. I know that this theory is out there, but if one assumes that Gary gets the paper to save lives, then he was able to do just that (i.e. preventing the murder for hire operation from causing future deaths).
stephaniearwen
10/05/00
When I first saw "Fatal Edition," I definitely sat there wondering why the paper reported the wrong time. My conclusion was very much like yours- if the paper did not want Gary involved, it would not have reported the story. The other thing I concluded was that the paper was constrained by what the parties involved would plausibly do if Gary was not in the equation. We found out in the second part that the ME was involved, so probably the ME misreported the time of death in the alternate timeline to give his partner an alibi.

It's fun sometimes to wrap our minds around that mysterious space-time continuum. :)
tdmiller82
10/05/00
Yes we found out in Part 2 that Jake, the ME, & his brother-in-law, Salavas(sp?), Armstrong's partner were in cohorts in the MFH operation. However, what I was thinking was that it was interesting that the paper didn't arrive early when Gary was in the jail cell (so at least he could have shown his lawyer), but instead it came just in time for him to make his escape via the courthouse window. I kind of think that his fugitive status lended itself for Gary to discover the MFH operation. Maybe this wasn't that writer's intent, but it is kind of fun to dissect all these possibilities :)
tdmiller82
10/10/00
Another insight: If the police wanted to capture Gary after he leapt from the courthouse window & Armstrong told the other officers to send a police car to McGinty's in case Gary was stupid enough to return home, how come the police didn't follow Marissa? Per Gary's instructions, she went straight to city hardware to get him some bolt cutters for the handcuffs then met him in the alley. They could have gotten Gary then.
Candii
10/10/00
About the police not following Marisa which would have led them to Gary is something that I have thought about too. My only guess would be that they were not aware that Marisa (because she's blind)is very much capable of getting out and about around town.
tdmiller82
10/10/00
You could be right. You know if I lived in Chicago & Gary was this killer walking the street, I would not have too much confidence in the police's ability to protect me. Let's face it, Gary didn't have much of a disguise nor did he hide all that well. He waited for Diaz near the Sun Times, used a public pay phone to warn Brigatti when he read about her being murdered in the paper, was down the subway at one point, and went to a copy store to fax the documents to Brigatti & they still couldn't catch him.
tdmiller82
10/12/00
Another point: Gary was able to break into Brigatti's townhouse & Diaz's car without the police catching him.
stephaniearwen
10/12/00
Maybe the fact that the police missed all these opportunities to catch Gary has something to do with the "otherwordly" protection we've discussed before?
tdmiller82
10/12/00
I'm sure you are right. I remember when Gary thought that the paper wanted him to be arrested & Marissa told him that that she knows that the paper would not want him to be in jail. Gary was being protected somehow despite how precarious his situation seemed.
tdmiller82
10/15/00
I always thought that it would have been interesting if after Gary leapt from the courthouse window, someone would have found the paper with tomorrow's date talking all about Gary's escape. Wonder how Gary would have dealt with this.
tdmiller82
10/17/00
It was interesting how when Gary discovered Scanoln's body at the train yard, the guard & dog hurt the shot & confronted him. How is it that when all the activiy at the end of Part 2 ocurred at the train yard, that same guard was no where to be found?
stephaniearwen
10/17/00
That's a good question. Another one to ask would be, why didn't Gary high tail it out of there once he realized Scanlon was already dead?
tdmiller82
10/17/00
LOLO....yeah what was the reason that Gary felt the need to stare at a dead body anyway?
stephaniearwen
10/17/00
The only thing I can think of is that he must've been in shock and wasn't thinking straight.
tdmiller82
10/20/00
I guess you can tell that I watch Fatal Edition alot & each time I see it, I can always find something new to dissect. This is probably an obvious point, but I wondered: Gary got the train yard around 7:50 p.m. with the murder (according to the paper) suppose to occur at 10:00 p.m. Assuming for a moment that the killer arrived before Scanlon, how did Gary think he was going to prevent the murder? Did he think that he could go up to the killer & talk him out of it or yell to Scanlon before the killer pulled the trigger? Both scenarios would put both Gary & Scanlon in jeopardy.
karens608
10/20/00
Yeah, that occured to me too. But if you think about it, Gary frequently had no clue as to how to stop something until he got there.
stephaniearwen
10/20/00
Yes, that's true. I think by that point, Gary felt he was out of other options. He tried talking to Armstrong, tried calling Scanlon on his cell phone, etc. There was nothing else he could do but go to the train yard and fly by the seat of his pants.
tdmiller82
10/25/00
Another thing that always struck me as odd (although I know that it was done for plotline purposes) is when Gary was left sitting on the bench before his arraignment while the guard attempted to break up the fight. A murder suspect (at least in PA) is never left unattended in a hallway.
rosee
10/25/00
I love Early Edition, too. Fatal Edition is definitely one of my favorites, but my all time favorite is "Fate." When he started to cry, you actually realize what a hard time Gary had been having ever since he started getting the paper. Everything that he had been feeling all those years finally came pouring out. Kyle Chandler proved that he is a great actor.
Among my other favorites is Blind Faith and Faith, but I LOVE "Phantom at the Opera." I believe that out of all the girls Gary was ever paired up with, "Emma Shaw" was definitley the one he loved the most. :)
tdmiller82
10/25/00
While Fatal Edition is my favorite EE episode, I think that many EE fans agree that Kyle Chandler did his most impressive work in Fate, definitely Emmy caliber. His guilt in feeling that he let Jeremiah die along with his pent up frustration in as he said that "he didn't want to know [what was going to happen} and he didn't want to care, he just wanted to wait up one morning and not know" is evident thoughout the episode. Thc carpet store scene as had been mentioned in early posts, is heartwrenching. I still get goose bumps watching it even though I've seen in dozens of times. My other favorites are The Pilot, The Wrong Man, Blind Faith, The Ice Man Taketh, and Duck Day Afternoon (the latter being such a funny episode IMHO).
Emma Shaw definitely brought out a softer, more carefree Gary. Given how he was treated by Marcia, it was nice to see Gary so happy, at least for one episode. Whether she could have handled knowing about the paper, however, is subject to debate.
Ren713
10/25/00
The crying scene in "Fate" gets me every time! When that first tear falls, I turn into a blubbering fool. I think one of the things that gets me most about that scene is when he admits he remembered Jeremiah's name. When Armstrong had first asked him if he remembered the guys name, he said "No, I don't remember his name." To me, it was always like as long as he told himself he didn't remember Jeremiah's name, he could separate himself from his emotions. But as soon as he remembered his name, it put a name with the face, making him human.
stephaniearwen
10/25/00
You sound like me! I've watched "Fate" about a hundred times since I got it on tape, and the crying scene STILL reduces me to a bawling puddle on the floor EVERY time! You just want to reach through the screen and hold him. This was definitely one of KC's finest moments- the line between actor and character, although normally blurred when it comes to KC, completely disappeared in this ep- you felt like you were watching a real person grieve on screen.

Hmm, interesting how discussions about an episode with heavy emotional impact lead to "Fate" eventually. Maybe we should start a separate thread to gush over this ep. :)
tdmiller82
10/30/00
You are correct that Kyle had his finest acting moments in Fate. I watched Fate again recently & every time Gary starts crying during the carpet store scene, so do I. The scene just moves me so much particularly after remembering Marissa telling Gary that he needs to move on,to let the tears flow. Again, I'll reiterate my earlier point about Kyle's ability to play a tortured soul. You just want to reach out of the screen to hug & comfort him. Case in point- The last scene of Fatal Edition (Part 1) where Gary is sitting outside freezing, your heart aches for the poor guy!
tdmiller82
10/31/00
Another point: If Armstrong knew that Gary had ties to the Sun-Times, why didn't the police keep a better watch on the building when Gary was a fugitive? I know that they couldn't have had every floor covered, but the parking lot seems like an obvious choice to me.
tdmiller82
11/03/00
When Armstrong confronts Gary in the Sun-Times printing room, he tells Gary to drop your gun. Gary responds that he doesn't have a gun. However, Armstrong hears another noise (the printing press) & takes his eyes off Gary enabling Gary to escape from him. This scene always struck me as odd. Would an experienced cop pursuing a murder suspect whom he believed was armed with a weapon take his eyes off of the suspect even for a second? I may be wrong, but I don't think so.
Ren713
11/03/00
Armstrong is a cop, but he's also human. Trust me, when presses start rolling they are LOUD! Press room workers wear earplugs while they work to prevent deafness from long-term exposure. It probably scared the beegeezus out of him.
tdmiller82
11/04/00
You are probably right, but imagine if Gary really had been a killer with a gun. Armstrong would have been dead.
tdmiller82
11/05/00
I also thought it was interesting that in the scene where Gary gets Scanlon to sign the book so he can delay Scanlon going outside & being assaulted, Gary tells Scanlon to autograph the book with Hobson, not his first name as people usually do in requesting autographs.
tdmiller82
11/07/00
Another thought came to me last night while watching Fatal Edition (again :)) which surprisingly hadn't occurred to me before- There are some similiarities & differences between Fatal Edition & The Wall. Here is my comparison & contrast between the two episodes. Additional insights are always welcomed :)
1. Both episodes were two parters, the only two parters EE has aired.
2. Both episodes had Gary falsely accused of murder although Gary had not been arrested nor jailed in The Wall.
3. Gary had his support system to help him in The Wall(i.e. Chuck & Marissa) while he was alone in Fatal Edition.
4. Gary worried that he could be capable of murder in The Wall while in Fatal Edition he tried to convince anyone who would listen that he wouldn't kill anyone.
tdmiller82
11/10/00
I always wondered why there wasn't a scene where Marissa called Chuck to let him know when Gary became a fugitive because not only was Gray alone in trying to prove his innocence, but Marissa was also alone in worrying whether Gary was okay. It would have been nice to see Chuck & Marissa working from their end to help Gary & also to act as a support system for each other to deal with their worried feelings over Gary's absence.
tdmiller82
11/15/00
How's this for a "missing" scene: What if when Gary was in jail, he has a dream where he is visited by Snow who tells him that everything will be okay & that there is a reason why he was arrested & that this reason will be revealed in due time. Snow also tells Gary that he will find a way to get out of jail to prove his innocence. Gary wakes up & is of course, spooked by this dream. Later, when Gary escapes before his arraignment via the courthouse window, he thinks again about this visit from Snow. I know that this idea is convoluted, but it came to me when I was watching Fate recently. I liked how the vision of Snow came to Gary when he felt completely lost. I think that Gary also felt lost in Fatal Edition & it would have been interesting IMHO to have had a visit from Snow to give him hope.
Dollene
11/15/00
Hmm, that's a very interesting idea Tracy. Seeing as Snow came to him in Fate and also in Time. Both eps where Gary needed some kind of guideance. It would be totally plausible to think Snow could have come to Gary. It's a shame he didn't. It may have made us feel alot better also.
tdmiller82
11/15/00
Definitely. I just felt so badly that Gary was alone. When he says to Marissa in the alley scene, "I'll see you soon" it was almost as if he was not only trying to reassure her, but himself as well. It is so heartwrenching that last scene in Part 1 when he's sitting on the street, cold & desperate. Poor guy.
tdmiller82
11/17/00
Here's another thought (I never seem to run out of them where Fatal Edition is concerned :) - How did Gary get to the train yard at the end of Part 2 in time to stop Salvas (sp)from killing Brigatti & Armstrong? Remember Gary was in the city when he read in the paper that he was going to be blamed for the murder of Brigatti & Armstrong & we can assume that he couldn't take a cab because in Part 1, Armstrong told the other cops to make sure that the cab companies were covered. Also, Gary couldn't use the McGinty's van, and I'll assume that the subway doesn't run to the train yard & that the train yard is pretty far from the city limits. So how did he get there in time? Any ideas?
karens608
11/17/00
If I remember right, they said it was the Cicero train yard, and Cicero borders Chicago on the west, so it would at least be close to the city. Didn't Gary jump out of a box car when he tackled Savalas? Maybe he hopped on a freight train to get there.
Jenna213
11/17/00
Does anyone remember the detective named Winslow in Fatal Edition? I thought he was fairly entertaining. :)
tdmiller82
11/18/00
I don't know the name of the actor who played Detective Winslow, but I liked how he teased Brigatti about her relationship with Gary & also about giving her mother the fax number.
tdmiller82
11/22/00
How did Gary get into Brigatti's townhouse? Also, Gary took a chance coming to her place when he was a fugitive. Besides for the fact that she could have turned him in, what if she had come back home with a colleague from work or a date?
Jenna213
11/26/00
Wow, I never really thought about how big a chance he took with the fact that somebody could have been with Brigatti. I think I always figured that he got in the same way he got out, through the door and stairs that he left through. But now it's bothering me, what would he have done if it was locked? and what would have happened if someone was with Brigatti?
Ren713
11/27/00
I'm watching "Fatal Edition" right now, and Marissa and Gary are both making me cry. It's the scene where Gary says good-bye to her in the alley. I never realized the scene where he called her and said he was counting on her and he called her "Mariss" I don't remember him ever calling her that before. Okay now we're in Brigatti's apartment and he just said, "Or what?" Oh, my God, it's like I spontaneously combust in a ball of lust whenever says that! Ladies, I'm with you. Not only would I have let Gary stay, but I think I would have offered him a warm bed to sleep in.
shana93
11/27/00
OH MY GOSH!!!! I think I've developed an ulcer watching this episode. It was so excruciating. The look of worry in Gary's eyes just kills me. And when he says "or what" to Brigatti, well, it's almost like he feels hopeless, like go ahead & shoot me--what do I have to lose. And when he jumps out the window & lands on of all things a Sun Times truck. The scene in the alley--I almost burst into tears. When Marissa visits him in jail & he takes her hand, then he runs both his hands thru his hair in frustration--I was doing the same thing at the same time. I am SO MAD at Brigatti--this man saved her life on several occasions--what is her problem?? I wanted to take Gary in and tell him I believed him and that I would help in any way I could. I can't wait till tomorrow's conclusion--I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight, even though I know Gary is cleared in the end. Wow, I'm getting really obsessed, uh I mean focused. :)
Dollene
11/27/00
Shana, you should have watched it on it's first run on CBS. We had to wait a whole week to find out Gary would be okay. Talk about excruciating. :(
shana93
11/27/00
I can't imagine waiting a whole week, that must have been excruciating. Thank God for syndication! :)
MsSpider
11/28/00
This is my first time seeing Fatal Edition. After seeing the first part, I'm just in awe of the acting and the writing on this series. And made as a hornet that it was cancelled when there is so much junk on tv that keeps going and going.
Candii
11/28/00
I'm watching Fatal right now, and I am enjoying it even more now that some of you are seeing it for the first time. The writing, acting and directing was superb in this episode, and I felt that an Emmy should have been given. >:( Although this one wasn't on the top of my list, I think I will move it up about 2 notches. ;) The Wall is still my favorite, for personal reasons but Fatal is still by far one of the best written. :)
stephaniearwen
11/28/00
Shana - I think we're soul mates- you sound EXACTLY like me when I first saw "Fatal Edition." I saw it when it originally aired last year, and I was practically falling out of my chair with worry. Brigatti made me angry, but the person I always want to throw my tennis shoes at is Armstong. >:( Atleast Brigatti was conflicted- Armstong, on the other hand, was very sure of his conclusion. >:(

To all- I agree with everyone's comments on the acting and writing in this episode. All of the circumstantial evidence against Gary made it very plausible for someone not in the know about the paper to consider him the most likely suspect (even though those of us in the know feel like screaming at those who are even considering this notion). And the way the case against Gary is presented in the episode keeps the suspense at an almost unbearable level, with each new development being more and more damning, until, at last, the last opening to prove Gary's innocence (the gloves) is slammed shut, and I very nearly explode.

The Gary-Marissa moments break my heart everytime I watch this episode. Gary's hands shaking in the jail as he takes Marissa's hand, Marissa's tears in the alley, the kiss on the cheek and the soft "I'll see you soon..." :(

And in my middle-of-the-night reflections, I have made this conclusion: the fact that Gary decided to tell his lawyer about the paper says a great deal about his desperation, considering how guarded he his about the paper in other circumstances.
tdmiller82
11/28/00
Watching Fatal Edition at 3:20 a.m.....I'm impressed :) You KNOW that this is my all time EE favorite episode & each time I watch it or read any of the comments from other fans I'm absolutely thrilled :) :) :) I agree with all the observations. As a lawyer, I'll add another point which I'll mention again: Gary told his lawyer about the paper thinking that the info. would be kept confidential, but technically (at least in PA), Gary had not retained the guy as counsel so the confidentiality requirement had not attached. After watching FE, I said to my mother jokingly (well, half jokingly) that none of the clients I ever dealt with looked like Gary....I would have represented him for free or paid him to allow me to represent him.
tdmiller82
11/28/00
Candi, Kyle did look younger in N & S Book III although the miniseries was aired on tv in 1994 the same year Convict Cowboy was made. If I can find a way to scan the photo in once I receive it (I don't have a scanner), I'll post it somewhere so everyone can see it. I'm still looking to find a photo of Kyle on a horse....I'd be in heaven if I saw something like this on Ebay (yeah, like I haven't already spent too much on my massive Kyle Chandler collection) ;)
tdmiller82
11/28/00
Ms Spider, Fatal Edition is so griping that IMHO I felt like I was suffering along with Gary. Part 1 Gary was more desperate & hopeless. As you'll see in Part 2 tonight, Gary emerged as a fighter determined to prove his innocence.
Amy-Kokomo
11/28/00
Oh man, that was almost too intense for me! The build-up of evidence against Gary is pretty convincing and I can understand why Armstrong and Brigatti are conflicted. I had trouble sleeping last night too. I guess I have to take your word for it that every thing turns out ok. One question - I didn't catch what made Gary think the parking lot attendent was involved. I have a thousand questions, but I expect part 2 to answer them!!
tdmiller82
11/28/00
Amy, When Gary wondered aloud to Marissa how he was going to get Scanlon off his back & when he looked down at the paper, he noticed that the headline had changed & that it now said that Scanlon was murdered. In the McGinty's office, Gary said to Marissa that the story wasn't there before & something that he did must have caused the change & Marissa asked what had he done to which Gary replied "I saved a parking lot attendant from being run over". Marissa asked "what does that have to do with Scanlon being murdered" Gary, of course, didn't know. Then Armstrong arrived at McGinty's to warn Gary about Scanlon doing the story on Gary.
Macredd
11/28/00
It doesn't matter how many times I see this episode, I get completely sucked in. The scene that gets me everytime is when Gary and Marissa are in the alley and he touches her face and tells her "I'll see you soon." His tone of voice is so moving. His strength, courage and genuine love for her are all rolled up in it. Ok, I've got a grip now... Everyone enjoy part 2~
tdmiller82
11/28/00
I'm sure that you can all see that I can't talk about Fatal Edition enough :) This episode (both parts) ALL moves me. Kyle's acting IMHO was more understated here then in Fate. Yet, both Fatal Edition & Fate really showcasted Kyle's dramatic range.
shana93
11/28/00
LOL Stephanie, you may be right. I'm getting knotted up again just thinking about that episode. I had a hard time getting to sleep after watching that, and I dreamed all night about Gary (this was not a bad thing :)).

Was anyone else trying to tell Gary the last name of Joe the parking attendant? I just kept talking to the tv--it's Calabrio, it's Calabrio!! It's a good thing I was watching alone or someone would've shipped me to the funny farm.
stephaniearwen
11/28/00
Last year was a particularly busy period in my life (I was holding down the equivalent of two part time jobs), and between that and the constant pre-emptions, I didn't get to see much of the fourth season when it originally aired. I DID see "Fatal Edition" though, and that was quite by accident, because I worked a lot of Saturday nights. Somehow, though, I was free for both of those Saturdays- Providence, me thinks. :) I had no clue what to expect when I tuned in- my original plan was to eat dinner and catch EE at the same time the first Saturday, but after those first few scenes (starting a story in the middle is always an effective narrative hook), my dinner was pretty much forgotten, the fork dropping out of my hand. I think I remember actually saying to myself, "(expletive), this is NOT GOOD AT ALL!" By the end, I was a basketcase. I sat there saying to myself, "Oh please, oh please, oh PLEASE let me have next Saturday off or I'll go CRAZY!!!" Luckily, I did have the next Saturday off, or I probably would be at Eastern State right now. :) Sleep? I didn't know the meaning of the word! I didn't sleep after "Fate" either- actually, after "Fate" I sat there crying for another 20 minutes or so. Yeah, I know- I'm nuts. :) Very few shows key me up the way EE does. There's just something about it...
Becky376
11/28/00
How awesome was this ep!! The part that struck me was when Brigatti pointed her gun at Gary and he said "or else what". The way he said that and the expression on his face was so powerful. I felt sooo sorry for Gary when Brigatti didn't let him stay at her place. He felt so alone and just when he needed help, there was nobody.:( His parents were on a cruise. How odd, I think there was another episode where they were on a cruise. After all the trouble he goes to help complete strangers, you'd think he would get help in return. After watching it I was in a somber mood, thinking about Gary all alone in the cold... :( Oh and I was wondering how did Gary get into Brigatti's apartment.
tdmiller82
11/28/00
Steph, You are not nuts for getting so involved with EE (well, if you are nuts at least you are in great company with the rest of us on this message board :) The first time I saw Fatal Edition, I spent the WHOLE time talking to the tv & WILLING Gary to go on (and like Dollene, the chief proponent of hugging our dear Gary) I wanted SO BADLY to reach out & hug Gary.

Becky, I don't know how Gary got into Brigatti's townhouse, but you'd think that as a cop she'd have a better security system.
Dollene
11/28/00
The actress who plays the waitress in Fatal Edition 2 is the same actress who played Jeremiah's sister in Fate. I just noticed that for the first time tonight.
Candii
11/28/00
Actually Dollene, I have noticed quite a few actors being recycled in different episodes. The one that you mentioned is one that I was aware of, and another one that comes to mind is the little boy in Time. The little brat who stole the little girls essay, (forgive me for not knowing any names)was the same little boy who starred in Gun. The one who was suppose to shoot his big brother Brice. There are quite a few others I just can't think of them right now. :) Anyone else?
shana93
11/28/00
I did notice the boy in Time was the same as the boy in Gun, but I haven't noticed any other repeat actors. Y'all are very observant.

I was in agony through this whole ep tonight. I think it's gonna be listed among my favorites, but I'm glad there aren't too many like it, my nerves couldn't take it.

I just have one question, and if it's already been asked and answered, I apologize in advance. How did Brigatti get out of that trunk??? Did I miss something? Tracy, help please!! :)
Dollene
11/28/00
I've noticed recycled actors also. This was just the first time I noticed this one. The father in Quality of Mercy is the Father in the choice. The judge in Time is the shrink in regular Joe. The female lawyer in Time is also the stock broker in Downsized , the girl in Teen angels that keeps asking the questions of Gary is the receptionist in #1 with a bullett. That's just some I can think of off the top of my head. Time to go to bed.
Candii
11/28/00
I noticed most of the ones you mentioned Dollene, except for the father in The Choice as the same in Quality. I missed that one. :) The Police cheif from Quality was the same Police cheif from A Minor Miracle. (Chuck and the guy destroyed his lawn and expensive grape vines) Also the Preshcool teacher from a Minor Miracle was the same lady from Fatal, who sent the fax for Gary. Any more? Hey, maybe this subject should be listed under a new topic, Recycled Actors. LOL!!
tdmiller82
11/29/00
Shana, For some reason, Jake (The medical examiner) left the car trunk open which was a pretty stupid thing to do considering that he told Savalas (the dirty cop & his brother-in-law) that Brigatti was coming out of her drugged state soon. I believe that I asked this same question in my thread "Have you ever wondered why." For storyline purposes, it made sense for the trunk to be open to facilitate Brigatti saving Gary when Savalas had the gun pointed at him. But logically I don't think any real life villian would have been so stupid. I wonder if I have earned my "Ph.D in Fatal Edition" yet :). God knows I have seen the episode countless times to have done thorough research. LOL.
tdmiller82
11/29/00
About repeating actors in different episodes, I've noticed a few others although I don't remember some of the actors names: In The Pilot, one of the guys that Chuck was betting money against after "borrowing" the paper from Gary when he left the restaurant (after Gary saw the bank headline change) played one of the bad guys in "In Gary We Trust". Also, the mean landlord whom Earl donated his heart in "Snow Angels" also played the suitor to Marion Ross' character in "The Cat".
tdmiller82
11/29/00
Just thought of something else: Wouldn't it have better if Molly Greene, instead of Miguel Diaz, helped Gary prove his innocence? I always liked Molly's interactions with Gary. Plus it would have made sense given that she had helped Gary prove the guy's innocence in Deadline.
Dollene
11/29/00
As far as lifting the trunk, I assumed he did it because to pop my trunk the car has to be running. I thouht he knew they would dispose of her body there and he just opened the trunk at that moment to save time. Then told Savalas to hurry because she would be coming around soon as a warning. Just what I thought at the time.
karens608
11/29/00
Stephanie- I agree with you about wanting to throw a tennis shoe at Armstrong. I mean, he was more willing to believe that Gary was delusional than that he was actually innocent! I think he should've had to crawl on his knees to both Brigatti and Gary to beg forgiveness. And regarding recycled actors - it's nice to know that it wasn't just my imagination that the boy from Time was the same boy from Gun. I didn't notice it the first time I saw Time,(probably because it had been too long since I'd seen Gun) but when I saw the episodes on cable, I was able to see the resemblance.
tdller82
11/29/00
Karen, Sometimes Gary is just too forgiving for his own good. I also remember in Minor Miracle when the cop accused Gary of taking Ally Chapman & even hauled Gary into the station to question him about the little girl's whereabouts & when Gary saved the child at the end, the cop said that he believed Gary (yeah...it was about time). Gary shook the cop's hand. I also KNOW that I would not have been as nice to Armstrong....probably would have kicked his injured leg instead of shaking his hand if he put me through what he put Gary through.
shana93
11/29/00
Tracy, I was thinking the same thing about Gary forgiving Armstrong. In the scene where he knocks the newspapers on top of Armstrong, he even sends those guys back to help---what a guy. I would've left him to struggle out on his own. :) And why did he apologize to Brigatti, but not really to Gary? I wanted to throw more than a shoe at him.

As far as the trunk thing, well, all I can say is the M.E. must have been some moron. Not only did he open the trunk, he left her with her gun and radio. Clearly he was not the brains behind that whole MFH operation. :)
tdmiller82
11/29/00
Shana,
LOL...I'm with you about your comments about Armstrong. He didn't really apologize to Gary....all he did was extend his hand for a handshake unless this is how guys apologize (I don't know). I love the scene in Part 2 where Gary eludes Armstrong in the Sun-Times printing room. And I thought to myself the first time I saw it that if I had knocked over the stacks of newspapers on Armstrong, my first instinct would not have been to have the other guys help him. I guess that I am not as nice as Gary :). Jake (the ME) was definitely an idiot. You are right... I sure would not have left Brigatti with her gun & radio after putting her in the trunk.
tdmiller82
12/01/00
I think that it is interesting that besides for the cat bringing the paper, the Sun-Times always seems to be there to help Gary whenever he is in trouble. I mean what are the odds that it would be a Sun-Times truck outside the courthouse when Gary made his leap from the window? Or, that it would be a stack of newsapers and a Sun-Times truck that would enable Gary to escape capture by Armstrong?
tdmiller82
12/03/00
I was watching Fatal Edition last night (again :)) & noticed something else. In Part 2 when Gary & Diaz were sitting in Diaz's car in the parking lot garage of the Sun-Times building looking at Scanlon's list of the murder for hire victims, on the piece of paper next to the names it had the initials "ME". I wondered if "ME" could have stood for medical examiner. What do you guys think?
Dollene
12/04/00
You watched it again? What am I going to do with you? hehe. I always thought the ME stood for medical examiner.
tdmiller82
12/04/00
Dollene, What can I tell you? I just LOVE both parts of this episode & never tire from seeing it :) Yeah, I knew that ME stood for medical examiner, but I hadn't noticed before that in Scanlon's notes, the initials ME were right next to MFH. Gary didn't pick up on this either as he mentioned to Diaz tha MFH stood for murder for hire, but he never acknowledged the ME.
tdmiller82
12/04/00
How come Armstrong got to head the "task force" looking for Gary? Who selected him anyway?
TobMar
12/04/00
Very good point about Paul heading the task force. I never thought of that! Also, what is Toni Brigatti doing on that case when everyone in the police department thinks she is Gary's girlfriend. At least we got to see our favorite characters.
tdmiller82
12/05/00
TobMar, Another point: The lawyer who came to Gary's cell to represent Gary during the arraignment said that he was doing so "as a favor to Toni." Can you say "conflict of interest." As a lawyer, I can tell you that this would not have been allowed in any of the cases I ever worked on.
tdmiller82
12/06/00
BTW, does anyone have any info. about Constance Marie (Brigatti)? I know that she played with Patrick Cassidy in the tv series version of the movie Dirty Dancing back in the late 80's, but I don't know anything else about her.
karens608
12/06/00
I've seen Constance Marie on The Sentinel and Spin City(both of which are currently in syndication). I also saw her in the Selena movie when it was on cable recently. I was flipping channels(I'm probably a worse channel surfer than any guy :))when I stopped because I thought I saw a familiar face. Sure enough, it was Constance and she was playing Selena's mother. Or were you looking for personal info? That I don't know.
tdmiller82
12/07/00
Thanks for the career info. about Constance Marie. I was hoping also if I could find out some personal stats. Does anyone out there have any info.? Thanks.
reaness
12/07/00
Hi my name is Irene. I am new on this list Fatal Edition is one of my favorite esposide, But every time I see this esposide I get so upset by the way Armstrong acted. I'm always saying to him after he gave you back your wife and child, how can you possibly believe he could do such a thing. What do you think.
karens608
12/07/00
Armstrong's behavior upset me too, but you have to admit that the evidence against Gary was pretty strong, especially when the powder residue test came back positive. I think it's very interesting, though, that Brigatti didn't really help Gary until after she found out about the test. As far as Armstrong was concerned, it was case closed at that point.
tdmiller82
12/07/00
Irene,
Welcome & thanks for your comment about Fatal Edition. Everyone here knows that I LOVE Fatal Edition & it is my favorite EE episode. Give me any excuse to talk about it & I will :) BTW, I am working on my first fan fic story where Gary has to figure out how to save Armstrong without revealing about the paper. I also have a Gary/Brigatti romance. To that end, I gave Brigatti a back story to soften her up because I didn't like how the EE writers may her too tough. I have completed 10 Chapters so far. It has been alot of fun writing this story :) Anyway, welcome again & keep posting.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0074.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com