EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Favorite Gary and Marissa moments

Author
08/22/00
I think I have a zillion of them, but of the ones I can think of off the top of my head are: "Run, Gary, Run" when he gives her that incredible hug, "Blackout" -- that whole sequence when he rescues her in the elevator shaft and is trying to make her laugh by telling her that rediculous story about cashews and cashew shells, when he picks her up and carries her and tells her she did good by saving those kids. "Fatal Edition" when Marissa comes to see him in jail and he says "Marissa, I'm in trouble, big trouble," and she takes his hand which are visibly shaking and also when she meets him in the alley and she's crying and he gives her a kiss and tells her she WILL hear from him. "Blind Faith" when he admits he's scared and she stays with him. And I think my favorite is still "Fate" when he says "Marissa, I love you very much, but don't tell me how to feel." I know it was a platonic thing, but that line still blows me away no matter how many times I see it because it's so uncharacteristically Gary to admit how he feels.
SnowsCat
08/22/00
There are many moments that I stick out for me too. I loved in "Fate", as before mentioned about Gary telling Marissa, "I love you very much, but tell me how to feel", my heart just sinks. In the same episode at the very end, after Gary is rescued and they hug each other, I love that! I also love in the Pilot episode when Marissa takes Gary to the racetrack, Gary wins $15,000 from using the paper,and then gives the money to Marissa, so she can buy her dog. There are just too many moments to remember, they just were such good friends, they were willing to do anything for each other!
FROGGIRL
08/22/00
Gary and Marissa have a really close relationship like soulmates almost. Marissa may be blind, but she can see into Gary's heart and soul and read his mind like no one else (except God, of course). It's good that they didn't get together romantically because that would ruin their friendship. I think my fave Gary and Marissa moments are when Gary hugs Marissa after coming out of the burning building in BF and I love it when Marissa says to the officer in Fate, "I can feel him and he's alive." I like that because she can feel his spirit and that spirit is very much alive and I like when they hold hands in FE -- what a friendship!!
karens608
08/23/00
One of my favorites would have to be in Blind Faith where the doctor is explaining what happened to Gary's eyes and what they may have to do if his sight doesn't come back on its own and we see Marissa and Gary reach for each other's hand. I think that is a very moving moment.
Candii
08/23/00
I just thought of another favorite Gary and Marissa moment. The scene at the end of Blowing Up.....,Marissa finds her way towards Gary sitting alone at the bar, and he's looking all sad, and sentimental and in deep thought, probably thinking about Erica, and Henry's leaving (Actually, he was probably thinking..("Whew! Thank the Lord they're gone!") Anyway, she tries to cheer him up by asking if he wanted to play a game of pool, and then she goes on to say, "I'll let you win this time" The smile on Gary's face at that moment was just so real, and convincing. I think somehow Shanesia really made Kyle laugh with that statement, because it seemed so genuine as if it caught him off guard, or something. If not, then great acting on his part. :) Certainly made me laugh.
karens608
08/24/00
I just remembered another one of my favorite Gary and Marissa moments. In the pilot, when Gary asks Marissa, "What, am I supposed to run around in a red cape and save the world?" and Marissa laughs and says, "You might look good in a cape." I've watched Early Edition since it debuted, and that line has always stuck in my head.
Janet486
12/07/00
Definitely the hugs in Fate and Blind Faith. Reaching for his hand which she can't see in Blind Faith and in Fatal Edition. Going to the train yard to find Gary at the end of Fatal Edition. The hug at the end of Fatal Edition.

Telling Gary she's going to sleep in the office so she can keep an eye on him in Blind Faith.

Telling that ridiculous story about the cashews while he tried to keep both of them calm when he had to rescue her in Blackout.

The hug in the middle of the street when he kept her from being hit by a car after those two nightmares in Run, Gary, Run.

Marissa telling him that "I may be blind but even I can see you're exhausted" in Blackout. Same episode getting after him about hiring a replacement for Chuck but "scolding" him for thinking Patrick could help. (I love Patrick but what was Gary thinking?)

Definitely the alley good-bye in Fatal Edition.

The way she knows when he's not wearing his hat and scarf in Snow Angels. The way she knew he didn't have shoes on in Duck Day Afternoon. The look on his face when she reminds him of those things is hysterical. (Does anyone else think of Mike Landon in these cases?)

The kiss on the forehead when he's home safe and warm in his own bed at the end of The Fourth Carpathian.

I don't know if I missed any but here's some of them.

Marissa definitely knows him better than anyone. Even Chuck doesn't seem to know him that well. Maybe it's because Marissa has to see him with everything but her eyes? :)
rosee
12/08/00
In the episode "Love is Blind," Chuck, Gary, and Marissa are at McGinty's hanging out, and Marissa is telling Chuck about her new guy (I forget his name). It was so cute the way Gary was teasing her. When Marissa said that the guy had a nice voice, Gary said," Oh, he has a very nice voice. I've heard it myself. He's a nice looking guy too...buck teeth, has a hump...big ears just flopping away"...and Gary is just going on with such a serious face, but you can see that twinkle in his eyes because he knows he's teasing Marissa. She hits him and says," stop it." I love that scene...it is not often that the three of them can sit down and act like teenagers without worrying about the paper. You can tell that they really are best friends. :)
shana93
12/08/00
That is one of my favorite moments. Gary laughing and teasing someone is so rare. I LOVED that. :) I would love to have seen more moments like that. :)
Dollene
12/08/00
My favorite would have to be from Blind Faith when Gary and Marissa are in the loft. Marissa and Gary are arguing back and forth and she asks him if he wants her to stay and he quickly says yes and sighs. Like he is so grateful she asked because he wanted to but couldn't. Also when he tells her he is scared. That was so moving to me because he never admits his feelings about anything. This time and in The Phantom of the opera, I think are the only 2 times where he really expressed his deep emotions.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0075.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com