EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Fatal Edition, the topic: Part II

Author
12/08/00
Tracy,
I'm about to sit down and watch FE again, and I'm keeping an eagle eye out for something new that none of us has commented on yet. I'm calling it "The Tracy Challenge". ;)
tdmiller82
12/08/00
LOL. The Tracy Challenge, huh? I like that :). Can't believe that my original Fatal Edition topic maxed out with 116 replies.
shana93
12/08/00
Well Tracy, I just finished watching the first part and here are some of my thoughts. First, in the bookstore Gary only tells Scanlon his last name, but back at the SunTimes Scanlon asks for info on a guy named Hobson and Miguel's friend says "Gary Hobson?" and Scanlon says "yeah, you know him?" How did Scanlon know Gary's first name.

Second, I noticed in the bookstore there were a few people in line at the register. Did Gary shoplift that book? He didn't have a bag, and I know he was in a hurry to prevent Scanlon's beating. It just didn't seem like he would've had enough time to pay and still save Scanlon.

That's all I have so far. Tracy, you are the resident expert on this topic, but anyone's thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks!
shana93
12/08/00
Okay Tracy or anyone, a few more observations and questions. In the scene where Gary suggests to Armstrong that Scanlon needs police protection, he says, "a guy like Scanlon must have a lot of enemies" and Armstrong responds "the entire Chicago police dept to begin with". I never picked up on the irony of that statement until now.

Also, when Gary first reads the article about Scanlon's murder, it says Scanlon's body is found in the early am. This makes no sense. Even if Gary hadn't shown up at the scene, there was still the security guard who heard the shot. I think someone else brought this up before, but I can't remember for sure.

When the cops arrested Gary and he dropped the paper, I found it hard to believe that none of them noticed that big bold headline staring up at them--FRANK SCANLON MURDERED.

Okay, one last thing. I was just wondering why Gary didn't tell the truth for the lie detector test. They asked, "Is there a side of yourself you hide from the world?" and "Do you have a secret?". He should have just said yes, after all, who in this world doesn't have secrets or hide part of themselves. It wasn't like he would've had to elaborate as a lie detector requires only yes or no answers.

Well Tracy, have I got you thinking? :)
karens608
12/12/00
I took the day off from work yesterday(Monday), and Chicago got hit by a blizzard, so I decided it was the perfect opportunity to watch Fatal Edition again. Anyway, I noticed that part about Scanlon's body being found in the morning for the first time, and what I think must have happened is that Gary changed what happened just by showing up. Maybe Savalas knew about the guard and would have used a silencer, but when he saw someone else there(he may not have been able to tell it was Gary in the dark), he decided to use the guard's presence to his advantage. In other words, maybe he fired the gun knowing that the guard would hear it, and then left the gun by the body, figuring the guard would find the other person and figure he was the killer. Then he wouldn't have needed the M.E. to change the time of death to 10:00 to give him an alibi because he wouldn't have needed one.
Janet486
12/12/00
If I recall the scene in the bookstore correctly Gary snatched a copy of the book off the stack and handed it to Scanlon to autograph.

When the cops busted Gary in the trainyard I think the last thing on their minds (if they had one amont them) was checking a newspaper that was on the ground. It was just so much trash I would think.

It is strange that Gary wouldn't tell them that he had a secret. Of course he has a secret. We all do. We all do things or know things that we don't want to or can't tell. He "shot himself in the foot" and made himself look bad with his no answer on that. But he was under a lot of stress and he doesn't handle stress well at all as we all know.

Why they would choosee Gary as their prime suspect is beyond me. A guy like Scanlon is going to have a lot of enemies. What about the guy that attacked him with the golf club? Was he still in custody? He would have been my prime suspect. Gary saved Scanlon's life. Why would he then kill the man? No newspaper story is worth it. Besides, Miguel would be the first target of "newspaper rage" I would think. He embarassed Gary when his parents visited and I think he caused the police officer to slip outside the bank that required him and the guy from the bank robbery to save him.
shana93
12/12/00
Karen, Great theory about the timing thing. I had never thought of it that way, but it does make sense. Thanks! :)

Janet, I did notice Gary take the book off the shelf, but I also noticed that he still had it outside after he saved Scanlon. I'm thinking he may have inadvertantly shoplifted as there wasn't time for him to pay and still save Scanlon. Does this make sense? Let me know!
shana93
12/12/00
Janet, the guy who attacked Scanlon with the golf club was already in custody. He's the one who started the ruckus in the courthouse when Gary was there to be arraigned. I think he says something about the assault charges being ridiculous, especially since Scanlon is dead. You are absolutely right about Scanlon having lots of enemies, why would Gary kill him. That's why I get so angered at Armstrong and Brigatti---they atleast owed him the benefit of the doubt. Brigatti redeemed herself in part two, but Armstrong didn't even offer a real apology at the end, just a handshake. Our dear Gary is a very forgiving man. :)
tdmiller82
12/12/00
Brigatti has redeemed herself even more in my fan fic story I'm so glad to see that my topic is living on with this Part II.
karens608
12/12/00
Shana- I think that Brigatti did give Gary the benefit of the doubt. Remember, she said odd and secretive didn't mean murder and that Gary was more peanut butter and jelly than Jeckell and Hyde. Granted, she didn't let him stay at her place, but she did let him leave and she did look into the information he faxed her even though that was after the powder residue test came back positive, which should have erased any doubt from her mind. I definitely liked the scene in the ambulance where she said she didn't want to accept Armstrong's apology until he could crawl on his knees and beg. I just wish she had made some comment about him crawling to Gary as well.
tdmiller82
12/12/00
Karen, Gary is such a swell because I don't think that I would have returned Armstrong's handshake. BTW, Armstrong is still hard nosed & suspicious of Gary in my story.
karens608
12/12/00
I think that just shows that Lucius Snow picked the right person to get the paper. As Marissa said in Baby, "Maybe you get that paper *because* you're special." :)
shana93
12/12/00
Karen, I guess you are right when you say Brigatti gave him the benefit of the doubt. I just get so mad when she pulls a gun on him. Did she really think a guy who is "more peanut butter & jelly than Jekyll & Hyde" would pose any kind of threat?

Another thing that I don't understand, is why Gary keeps going into businesses that have televisions or radios on. Gary, Gary, Gary, what were you thinking?
karens608
12/12/00
Shana- Yeah, her pulling the gun on him made me mad, too. I mean, if he intended to do anything, would he have just stood there out in the open? At least she didn't shoot him. Gary must have really felt he knew her well enough to turn his back on her. BTW, I thought I spelled "Jekyll" wrong, and I knew I did when I saw your spelling.
shana93
12/12/00
Karen, LOL I'm not so sure my spelling of Jekyll is correct. But who knows, I wasn't thinking how to spell it---it just came out that way. :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0080.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com