EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: The Fourth Carpathian

Author
12/01/00
If you liked this episode (or even if you didn't) tell me why. I kind of like the fact that Gary was the one who needed rescuing. Chuck was "annoyed" not "worried". Marissa knew the answers to the Jeapordy questions and Chuck didn't.

Bernie! Chucko!

"have we met before?"

You name it.
karens608
12/01/00
I like that Lois finds out about the paper.

Bernie wouldn't let Chuck look at the paper any more than Gary would.

Lois confronting Chuck about the paper. "Chuck, I have a condition the doctors call 'crap-intolerant'. I can only take so much B.S. before I explode."

Crumb telling Lois that "someone - or *something* - is looking out for that kid".

Lois getting a kick out of helping with the paper.
MsSpider
12/01/00
I like it when Chuck tells Bernie Lois is a scary woman when she's mad. And Bernie agrees wholeheartedly. I like this eppy alot. The only thing that bugs me is...would Gary really lay still for 3 days waiting for someone to rescue him? I just can't see him doing that. He seems more of the type that would have tried to do something not just lay there. I know the catwalk was going to fall but what the are chances of all of the supports giving away at once.
stephaniearwen
12/01/00
I think he was trapped there for two days, but I could be wrong. And I agree that in most circumstances, Gary would've probably tried to do something to get out (even going to such lengths as crawling through a sewer to get home), but in this case, his fear of heights might have inhibited him. Speaking as someone who is also afraid of heights, if I moved on that scaffolding and I felt it shift and creek, I would probably lie very still too! :)

The look on Gary's face and the way he was closing his eyes and holding on to that Carpathian for dear life as he was being rescued was very cute. LOL! I definitely sympathized. I also loved how Marissa kissed him goodnight on the forehead in the end. :)

I'm so embarrassed to bring this up, but when I told my younger brother about this episode, he asked me, "But how did he go to the bathroom?" And I have to admit, it is a good question... (Stephanie ducks)
shana93
12/01/00
Stephanie, I was wondering the same thing. LOL :) I also thought that after a few days he would be dehydrated. Shouldn't he have been taken to the hospital to be checked out at the very least? That always bothered me.
stephaniearwen
12/01/00
LOL! My face is flaming red currently, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who's wondered about this. And yes, he would be dehydrated (which may have reduced the bathroom issue as time went on), not to mention hungry!
Dollene
12/01/0
I asked the same question about Gary holding it for 2 days on the EE group. Somebody responded with I don't know that he did. When they get to the theater to rescue Gary Crumb(I think) says "What's that smell?" I hadn't made the connection before. I just thought it's an old building. Musty and mildewy. But now I LOL everytime I watch it. Also I think he would have been frozen stiff by the time someone got to him. It was winter in Chicago in an abandoned building. He took his coat and gloves off outside.
MsSpider
12/02/00
People on tv don't go to the bathroom. Maybe to shower but that's all. Or use the phone. Bernie was in there talking to Chuck on the phone. Telling him he got the paper, furball and all. LOL I love that line.

I think you are right about it being 2 days. Or at maybe it was three days and two nights. Because the paper came to Bernie then Lois the next day. Even with Gary's fear of heights, I still can't really see him laying there that long. He's gone out on some high things to save other people. Of course I'm not afraid of heights so I can't really grasp the feeling of the moment. I thought about him being half frozen too. Course Gary is a tough guy. ;)
earlydues
12/02/00
Dolleen wrote:
//I asked the same question about Gary holding it for 2 days on the EE group. Somebody responded with I don't know that he did. When they get to the theater to rescue Gary Crumb(I think) says "What's that smell?" I hadn't made the connection before. I just thought it's an old building. Musty and mildewy.//

That was me that mentioned it. :) I don't remember either if it was Crumb or one of the brothers. It's a line that you don't notice the first couple of times you watch the episode. But once you *do* hear it... ROFLMAO!
Dollene
12/02/00
You're right Early Dues, it does take on a whole new meaning when you make the connection. I had watched that ep several times and didn't pay attention to what he was saying till you mentioned it. Now I die laughing each time.
Candii
12/02/00
I didn't pay much attention to the smell comment either the first time. LOL!! I believe it was one of the brothers who made it though and not Crumb. :) Also MsSpider mentioned people on tv not using the bathroom, well,in Slippity....., when Henry had the tummy ache,he used Gary's bathroom, he said that he felt better afterwards too, so we can assume that....LOL!! Gary wasn't holding his nose or anything though. :) Also in the episode, Frost Bite, Gary went to the bathroom and even flushed the toliet(and Sparky too) I thought it was cute how you could hear the sound of the toliet flushing...just seem so realistic. LOL!! Wow, thinking that the sound of a toliet flushing is cute! What-is-*wrong*-with-me!
Dollene
12/02/00
I sometimes wonder that myself Candi. j/k I thought it was cute too. I guess cause you don't hear it that often, but moreso in the fact that you knew the fish was there. I was thinking OH NO~ Sparky!
stephaniearwen
12/02/00
ROTFLSHIAPMP! I've only seen this episode once, and I definitely did not notice that line! It's honestly very comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has wondered about this subject. :D

I liked that moment in "Frostbit" too. I was actually surprised that they aknowledged it, because, generally, yes, people on TV don't go to the bathroom. As soon as Chuck put Sparky in the toilet, though, I knew he was going to be flushed.
shana93
12/03/00
LOL. I totally missed the "what's that smell" line. OMG that definitely puts a new perspective on the poor Carpathian who had Gary on his shoulders. :) All I can say is YUCK!
Candii
12/03/00
When I first watched The Fourth Carpathian, I didn't care for it because, as I mentioned before, it didn't have a lot of Gary in it.:) But After watching it again, and discussing it with all of you, I can honestly say that it wasn't bad at all.

I thought it was interesting how, the two men (bernie,chuck) who knew about the paper and couldn't wait to get their hands on it, totally blew it when it came to handling the task. It's a huge responsibility. Cat must have known that the two men for one reason or another were unable to do the job, and brought the paper to Lois.

I also like the fact that it was Lois who,(with Crumbs help who didn't know anything at all about the paper) was the one who went out, found her baby, and brought him home!! Go Lois!! :) Sometimes it takes a MOM to talk care of things, *especially* when her child is in trouble.
Dollene
12/04/00
LOL Shana! I thought that same thing. Poor Gary the inhumanity! And you' are right. that poor Carpathian. Yuck!
Janet486
12/04/00
See! There is a lot to enjoy in that episode. Especially Lois taking charge and rescuing her baby! Scaring Chuck is always fun. Gary had that pleasure when he read the article in the paper in Baby.

I like this episode. I always wondered why Lois didn't mention taking him to the hospital too.

I mean after 2 - 2 1/2 days trapped in a condemned building with no light, no heat, no food, no drink and no human contact I would think that's the first thing she would have done. Maybe the problem was he argued about it because they'd have had to go by ambulance? None of them had a car unless Lois had the grey ghost while Bernie was in jail.

As for the smell, I've been in a house that stunk because of lack of plumbing and all that but it was the mildew smell that got to me. I'd go home and rest and shower before eating after being in that house. It was the only way to survive.

The look on Gary's face at the sound of the word "dismount" was funny. But only to us. He was terrified.

I love Marissa's kiss too.

Does anyone agree that Gary couldn't go to sleep after Crumb tried to reassure him about his parents because he was thinking that in spite of what Crumb told him he knew there was something wrong?

I would have liked it if his parents had gone in to say good night. And how long was Gary forced to stay in bed after his ordeal?
stephaniearwen
12/04/00
Candii- I agree. Sometimes it does take a MOM to get things done. IMHO, moms are the smartest, most determined, most powerful human beings on the planet. It must be an evolutionary thing. :D

Lois is a scream! One of my favorite Lois moments was actually in "Don't Walk Away, Renee" when she hit that guy who was posing as a delivery man over the head and said, "NOBODY points a gun at MY son!" ROTFL! I was cheering, "GO MOM!!!"
Janet486
12/04/00
Hey, Steph, which is better "Nobody points a gun at my son" or "Did I miss something?"
stephaniearwen
12/04/00
Janet- Remind me again which scene "Did I miss something?" is in. My mind is drawing a blank at the moment.
Ren713
12/04/00
"The Fourth Carpathian" is one of my least favorite episodes, but now every time I see it, all I can think is, "The Poor Baby had Chicken Pox!"
Dollene
12/04/00
Stephanie~ "Did I miss something?" Was what Bernie said when he walked into Mcginty's after Lois had cold cocked the delivery guy for pointing a gun at Gary.
MsSpider
12/05/00
I wasn't going to start taping EE. Because I have taped shows before and I hardly ever go back and watch them. But I broke down a started taping the later show. I didn't want to tape the early show because sometimes I couldn't be home to switch the tape so they would be in order. Well, some shows were coming up on the first showing of EE that I wanted to tape and I couldn't stand it. So I would make sure I'd switch the tape for the later showing. Just yesterday I wanted to watch the Fourth Carpathian...I had a full tape of the weather channel. Fox family is on 39 here, the weather channel is on 36. Typo big time. /sigh/
Candii
12/05/00
Bummer! Sorry MsSpider! I'm like that about other shows, but EE? I watch them over and over and over again. I'm sure you will too, once you get them on tape. Don't give up.
stephaniearwen
12/06/00
LOL, thanks! I guess I always laugh so hard at Lois's line that I don't hear Bernie's. :)
Janet486
12/07/00
The classic Bernie line in The Fourth Carpathian is "Have we met" when he notices Crumb behind the bar. Crumb's response "Briefly".

The "Did I miss something?" line is from Don't Walk Away Renee when he walked in and saw the phony delivery guy knocked out on the floor (Lois's handywork when he threatened her son with a gun).
shana93
12/13/00
Last night I watched this ep after discovering EE was pre-empted AGAIN. (ok, let me not get started on that subject). Anyway, I noticed a blooper (like Stephanie, I was so excited). Lois, Chuck, and Marissa are sitting at the bar and Lois folds the paper and puts it in her lap, then a split second later the paper is back on the bar unfolded, and she picks it up and folds it again. Did anyone else ever notice this?

For some reason, when I saw this ep before, I was thinking that Crumb told Lois he didn't have any children (the scene in Gary's loft),but he only talked about his wife. Was there a scene from another ep where Crumb says he has no children, or did my overactive imagination conjur up the whole thing?? If someone knows, I'd really appreciate it---it's driving me crazy. Thanks!

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0082.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com