EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Humiliation

Author
12/13/00
Let's hear from all the fans. What do you consider Gary's most humiliating moments.
Gary got his lights put out by a man 38 years older than himself in The Last Untouchable. With one punch Gary was down for the count. That's what I call humiliating! Who else has one?
Dollene
12/13/00
Having his clothes tossed out of his own window by his wife on his anniversary. And definately the de-pantsing in Take me out to the ballgame. That would have to be the ultimate humilation. Poor guy couldn't even use his hands to cover up. Cause he was hanging on for dear life. All he could do was cross his legs. Then I doubt that did much to cover anything up. then to have all those people there with cameras. Oh my word. I would have just died.
karens608
12/13/00
I would have to say the time in Mel Schwartz, Bounty Hunter when he had to put on that stupid mattress costume. Poor Gary!
Janet486
12/13/00
Oh, I'm so glad somebody mentioned Mel Schwartz. I'm doing the fanscript for that episode and all I can think of is Gary having his clothes stolen and wearing the mattress costume! Everytime that episode starts I start laughing before it even happens! Even funnier is the fact that every time Gary sees his mugger he tells him he wants his clothes back. Not his money! His clothes! Which parent is he taking after there?
tdmiller82
12/13/00
All of the above mentioned were pretty humiliating to Gary. But I would definitely add all the times he was falsely arrested, most notably being arrested for murder, having to become a fugitive, and fleeing to prove his innocence in Fatal Edition.

Dollene, you knew that I'd bring Fatal Edition in response, didn't you?
Dollene
12/13/00
LOL, As soon as I saw falsely arrested, I just knew Fatal Edition was soon to follow.
Janet486
12/13/00
Well I was thinking of the more lighthearted moments but the bit about getting locked out of his own house and being falsely accused of murder are good.

Isn't anyone thinking "Bat Masterson" and a save that backfired on him?
Jenna213
12/13/00
I thought it must have been pretty humiliating when Chuck pansted Gary, and all of chicago must have been laughing at his "lollypop"
moogie454
12/13/00
when Nick brings the dumpster to save his butt when he fell off the scaffold and then insists on checking out his leg and when his mother catches him spying on her in nest egg.
shana93
12/13/00
In Wild Card he gets water dumped on his head in the bar. That had to be pretty humiliating.
shana93
12/13/00
I thought of another, in Dad when Bernie catches Gary digging through the dumpster. That was so funny!
stephaniearwen
12/13/00
Yeah, getting trapped in the elevator in "Bat Masterson" must've been pretty embarrassing, but my vote for most humiliating moment goes to the de-pantsing in "Take Me Out To The Ballgame." I'm with Dollene on this one- I definitely would've died. Or moved out of state.
Dollene
12/13/00
How about in the 4th Carpathian when he had been stranded for days and people were wondering what the smell was. Or how about in The Wrong Man when he accidently sets Pritchard on fire while he is eating with Marcia and her parents? Then there is the dinner with the Armstrongs where Erica is being a b*%$&. That had to be pretty embarrassing when he was counting on her to back up his story and she was intentionally trying to get him in trouble. Sorry, You know me. Can't keep my trap shut about Erica.
Janet486
12/14/00
You guys are good. It seems like everyone goes for the "depansting" episode with Chuck. It never would have happened if Chuck hadn't interfered. (That's Mom's opinion anyway and she's probably right.)

I love the elevator in Bat Masterson (what was he thinking? He just got 3 other people to exit the elevator so they wouldn't be trapped but then he forgets to get out himself and is trapped for 5 hours.)

The mattress costume in Mel Schwartz is good. I start laughing as soon as I see the guy because I know what's coming. I can't help myself! All I can think of is Gary in the mattress, complaining to Marissa and telling the mugger he wants his clothes back.

Anybody got anything different?

The dumpster dive in "Dad" was good. He found the ball didn't he? Isn't that what matters? :)
shana93
12/14/00
Janet, I thought of another last night, but couldn't remember which ep it's from. It's when Gary pulls the wrong plug on the paint machine and ends up all covered in paint. Poor, poor Gary.
karens608
12/14/00
That was Wild Card, the last episode with Patrick. That whole episode was pretty much a Poor Gary Moment [TM].
Dollene
12/14/00
Actually that was from Take me out to the Ballgame. I love that scene because even though I can't see Gary's face. I can picture the look he has. LOL
karens608
12/14/00
Yeah, now that I think about it, you're right. Gary had to leave Chuck and the pitcher(I can't remember his name)a couple of times to take care of other stories in the paper. But I thought there were two incidents in Wild Card where Gary had to go take a shower because he got something dumped on him.
Dollene
12/14/00
MmmHmm. The famous towel scene. :) The first time he had to change the car hit the fire hydrant and he got soaked. Causing him to change into the beige t-neck and beige overshirt. Hubba, hubba. Then the second he kicked the ladder and the bucket fell on him soaking him. :(
earlydues
12/14/00
Ahh! Which ep is it? I was wanting to say 'Wild Card' too, but now you've got me all confused. (Which is pretty easy to do these days...) :) I remember him standing there all painty and Patrick breaking out into mime, but Chuck wasn't in the scene. Where was Chuck at the time?
MsSpider
12/15/00
What about when he served on the jury and everybody thought he passed the note. And in the same eppy, when Chuck comes to his hotel room and gives him a peck on the cheek in front of the guard. I think that whole episode qualifies.
Dollene
12/15/00
Early Dues~ Chuck was trying to get the pitcher to the ball park. After Gary gets out of the show the cat meows on top of the paper and Gary sees the headline has changed and Chuck and the pitcher are hurt. That is when Gary goes down and has to borrow Patricks cycle to go help Chuck and the pitcher.
shana93
12/15/00
There was also the scene in Mel Schwartz, Bounty Hunter, when Gary gets splashed with muddy water and then has to go see the psychiatrist. He's sitting on her couch with all these used up paper towels, and she's sitting there thinking he's got an imaginary friend. That ep was so funny. I can't wait till it comes on again. :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0084.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com