EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Can you remember the episodes when Gary actually smiles for real?

Author
10/29/00
I love EE, but it's sooo sad that Kyle's character hardly ever smiles, let alone laughs. There are many episodes where he doesn't smile at all. In most of the episodes where he does crack a smile, or even laughs, it's usually sarcastic, or a pretend laugh/smile. Can y'all remember any episodes where he smiled for real?

I know he smiled a lot in Phantom at the Opera...but at the end he was so sad. And I remember him smiling at the little girl in "The Choice."
ken_joe
10/29/00
He smiles in Hoops and in Don't Walk Away Renee. :)
Macredd
10/29/00
I never really thought about it before, but you're right, he doesn't smile much. I can only think of "Phantom at the Opera" and "Romancing the Throne" as seeing Gary truly enjoying himself. No genuine smiles that I can think of at all in Season 3. Gee, I wonder why that is?!
karens608
10/30/00
It's funny that you brought this subject up when you did. I was watching Hoops yesterday, and I noticed something for the first time. When Gary and Chuck come out of the school and see that one of the tires has been stolen from Chuck's car, Gary can barely suppress his laughter. I also remember him smiling in The Iceman Taketh when he first saw Brigatti dressed up for the ball.
stephaniearwen
10/30/00
Oh yeah! The last time I watched "Hoops," I noticed this too, and I was wondering if anyone else caught it. It definitely looked like Gary was trying not to laugh.
rosee
10/30/00
I have never seen Hoops. Was that in Season 2? Because I missed a lot of the season 2 episodes.

It's a treat when Gary actually smiles. My little sister and I actually have a game," Who can spot Gary's smile first." Quite often, an entire episode will go by and the score will be 0 for the both of us because Gary never smiled.
karens608
10/30/00
No, Hoops is an early 1st season episode. It has to do with Gary learning that a high school basketball player is going to die from a heart condition and Gary has to try to convince him to stop playing.
Dollene
10/30/00
He smiled a couple of times in the Dad ep and Baby. The others that stand out in my mind have already been mentioned.
rosee
10/30/00
I also remember him cracking a tiny little smile in the valentine's day episode right before he kisses Erica for the first time.
tdmiller82
10/30/00
I loved Gary's really cute smile at the end of "Time."
Ren713
10/30/00
It seems everyone remembered the smiles I did, plus a few more. One of the smiles not mentioned, I guess because it was more like a grin, was in "A Horse is a Horse" when Henry asks Gary if he was going to tell his mom about the paper and Gary kind of gets this amused look on his face like he can relate with not wanting his mom to know about something. I think the best smile, though, was in "The Choice" at the very end when the parents come to see their daughter, and Kyle has this smile that could rival Tom Cruise's. What bothers me is, even less than Gary smiling, is I think I've only seen him sincerely laugh in two episodes. In "Baby" when he delivers the twins and when he is trying not to burst out laughing when he tells Chuck he'll be delivering a baby that day. And in "Don't Walk Away, Renee" when he asks how many chances a person has for happiness and his mom says "42"
rosee
10/30/00
yeah, it is kind of sad that Gary never finds a reason to laugh. Most of his laughs have been sarcastic. That's why it is a rare treat when he does smile or laugh.
Another cute episode was "Nest Egg" when at the end, he admitted to his mother that his and Erica's play acting to get his mom her money back was actually fun. The face he gave was sooo cute.

(plus, I loved the way Gary looked in that black power suit...woah)
Julia_7
10/30/00
In "Gun", Gary smiles to the little boy in the supermarket. Makes you wonder what a great father he would be if he ever had children like he wished he would (now I am becoming sad... :( ). But anyway, he also cracks a little smile in the same episode when the mother of the two boys takes his hand, looks at it and asks him where the 'wounds from kicking walls' are (excuse my clumsy English). I think this smile is most cute. :)
Eyeswideshut
10/31/00
Also in "the Quality of mercy", he does a sweet, tender smile (so lovely!) to Chuck, when he finally came out from the coma state (Chuck got hurt in the beginning of the episode by Hernandez...)
Candii
10/31/00
I think I mentioned this scene before from the psychic, when Claire touches gary's nose saying that it was more decorative. I think when she touched his nose, it tickled him, and the laugh that came out was genuine. :)
rosee
10/31/00
yeah, Psychic was a cute episode. It was really cute when she said that his nose was decorative. It goes to show that even thw writers for the show know that Kyle is good-looking.

In the Pilot, when Gary gives Marisa the money for her dog, and he watches as her train leaves, he gives this sweet face. It isn't exactly a smile, but a twinkle in his eyes. Even though his lips aren't smiling, his eyes look like they are dancing.
karens608
10/31/00
Now why didn't anyone else(including me)come up with that scene? I mean, it's only seen at the end of the opening credits in EVERY episode! :) In fact, as far as I can recall, it's the only scene that stayed in the opening credits throughout the entire run of the series.
Ren713
10/31/00
Yeah, duh! I can't believe I didn't think of that either, because I always just about purr when I see that clip. I also thought of another scene when he laughed - in "Romancing the Throne" when he and Sibella were ice skating, slammed into the wall and then fell on the ice.
Dollene
10/31/00
Ren, You purr? LOL Well, I have never done that before! At least that I will admit. :). How about the little smile at the end of Snow angels as he is sleeping. It is also used in the beginning of Duck Day afternoon. I have to rewind that shot everytime I watch it. /sigh/
Dollene
10/31/00
Candi, I love that scene from Psychic. Doesn't he have the most perfect profile. His nose, I'm not usually crazy about noses, is so perfectly shaped. It definately is decorative. :)
shana93
11/01/00
Hi all. I'm new to this and am trying to catch up. My favorite Gary smile is at the end of the episode where he is trying to get the traffic light for the kids. I don't know the name of the episode, but they use that scene in the opening credits. He looks so happy there which is so rare.
rocketgirl
11/01/00
I'm right now watching the episode with the Russian violinist. He smiles at her (Paulina) in this episode. It's so cute.
Janet486
12/04/00
You missed The Play's the Thing when he tells Marissa about Crumb appearing in a local production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. He had a very hard time swallowing his grin in that one. Marissa was outright giggling until Crumb came in the door. And how Gary struggled not to laugh when Crumb threatened to "break his face" if he told anyone about his being in the play.

I LOVE Crumb! He cracks me up every time. The frozen peas were a nice touch in Rose. No ice cubes. Frozen peas which Gary promptly gives to Lily to put on the bump on her head. Never mind his hand, her head was far more important. What a sweetie!
Dollene
12/04/00
Shana~ Did you notive in that ep at the very end when they go to the little park area, how Gary starts playing with the little girl. He has her chase him. It is soooooo cute.
stephaniearwen
12/04/00
Oh, yeah! I ADORE "The Play's The Thing!" :) Gary is SOOOO cute on stage! LOL! And I agree, Crumb is a hoot- I also loved him threatening Reggie- "If you don't go on tonight, I'm gonna beat the cr*p outa ya." Tee hee. And the image of Gary playing a teapot in the second grade makes me laugh so hard my sides hurt!
shana93
12/04/00
Yes, I did notice that little scene and I thought it was so sweet. Also, in that ep I love when he puts his hand on the little girl and makes that speech about how she is his boss and he has to do what's right by her. Any interaction between Gary & children just melts me,(sigh ;)), except 3rd season eps when he suddenly didn't like children. What was that all about?
Ren713
12/04/00
I swear, I still must be missing scenes from "The Play's The Thing" because people are mentioning things I don't remember. The scene I love in TPTT is the scene where Gary is telling the story about the football game. It is SOOOO real! And he looks so cute with his eyes closed and that little smile at the corners of his mouth. As for his interaction with children, the scenes that get me are in "Baby" when he delivers the twins and he's laughing when he hold the first baby and in "The Choices" the whole interaction with the little girl (I can never remember her name!) When I was in the emergency room when I broke my collar bone, I remember laying on the gurney thinking, "I wish Gary was here to hold me!"
Dollene
12/04/00
Shana ~ Don't even get me started on Season 3. LOL
reaness
12/07/00
I thought about an episode that Gary smiles for real . It's in the episode that he tell Erica about the paper.( not ot sure of the title). When he rescue little girl recues from the refrigator, he smiles with relief to know that she was all right. It was a very big smile, but it was there.
abc981
12/10/00
I don't think anyone has mentioned this one, and I almost hate to bring it up because it's from one of my least favorite episodes. It's in "Saint Nick" when Gary goes to the park to see if he can get to Erica before Nick proposes to her. He stops when he sees her standing there and he smiles with his eyes sort of squinty in the sun. The smile disappears when he sees Nick walk up to her. It's a cute smile if you don't think about who he's smiling at. ;)
MsSpider
12/17/00
With the absence of EE on the tv. I've been feeding my EE addiction with tapes. This forum makes me pay closer attention to the little things. I came across a couple of shows Gary smiles and seems more relaxed. Believe it or not the one when Patrick leaves,even though Patrick seemed to drive him crazy, when they were in the van waiting for it to stop Gary became very mellow and smiled when Patrick explained about the things in the box.

And in Up Chuck, at the very end when he calls Chuck, he enjoys talking to his old friend and laughs.
Ren713
12/17/00
I thought of another one! In "Phantom of the Opera" he actually smiles a couple of times 1) when Emma leaves that rambling message on his answering machine 2) when she gives him that great hug in the hall and 3) when they are outside the opera house. Sigh.
Meghan15
12/17/00
Hi...I'm new to posting, although I've been lurking for awhile, and I hope this works. I also remember Gary smiling at the end of "Two to Tangle" (season three) when he's watching Henry play hockey. It was nice because they were all just having a good time watching the game.
MsSpider
12/18/00
Yea he loves his sports. He smiled when he was in the limo talking to the baseball player about playing for the Cubs. I'm not sure of the name of that epispode or the one where Chuck convinces him to take a day off and they are watching a game in the bar and Gary doesn't know the out come.
karens608
12/18/00
The episode where Gary is talking to the baseball player in the limo is Funny Valentine. The other episode you mentioned is A Regular Joe, but it wasn't Chuck who convinced Gary to take a day off. Gary dreamed that he went to see a psychiatrist whom he told about the paper and who convinced him to take Sundays off. But yeah, it was nice to see him get excited about the game because he had no idea how it would turn out for a change.
Janet486
12/18/00
Ren, Re: The Play's The Thing. Gary is trying hard not to grin when Crumb confronts him at McGinty's after Gary saves the actress from being crushed by the spotlight (Crumb too, actually). It's there that he threatens to break Gary's face if he tells anybody (specifically former colleagues) about his being in the play. Marissa was giggling before he came in the room.

Threatening to beat the crap out of Reggie came after Gary injured his ankle trying to stop the fire that would destroy the theater. Crumb apparently is the one that took him to the hospital because when he asks Gary how his ankle is Gary tells him that the doctor said that as long as he kept it elevated he'd be good for the play that night. However, the arsonist (Reggie who suffered from an even more severe case of stage fright than Gary) was going to try again. Gary was going to go take care of it but Crumb pushed him back into his seat twice and told him he'd go. He caught Reggie about to try for the second time. He went on Gary's "hunch" or "feeling" that the theater was going to catch on fire again.
MsSpider
12/18/00
A lot of these episode I have only seen once. I knew the one had something to do with Valentine but couldn't remember and was too lazy to go look it up. The other one I had no idea what the name was. And it was before I had become addicted to EE.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0085.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com