EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: FYI: Great Chicago Fire

Author
12/13/00
For all fans of HTITOTT there is a website I just discovered that tells lots of info on the fire. It's located at thechicagofire.com. It even has the words to that stupid song that I can't get out of my head! There's another one but I can't find it. I had it up months ago. It has insurance records etc. If I find it again I'll post the address up here for you all.
sydney
12/18/00
I know I am going to sound very blonde right now...but the great chicago fire really happened?
karens608
12/19/00
Oh, yeah. The part about it being started by Mrs. O'Leary's cow is a myth, though. That's why it cracks me up when Gary tells Morris(Chuck)that where he comes from every kid knows that Mrs. O'Leary's cow started the fire, because I recently read in a book that even back then the story was considered a myth. It apparently did start in the O'Leary barn, but no one knows how.
ken_joe
12/19/00
The Chicago Fire is real. They say the cow started it, it might have, but they're still don't know exactly how it started. But every kid, at least in Chicago knows the story. Almost all of Chicago was burned down, there's still a building here that was there when the Chicago Fire went on, I think it's the water tower, I don't know, my mind is fuzzy, I'm on vacation! :D
earlydues
12/19/00
What's particularly amusing about reality vs. fiction, is that there actually was a Daniel Sullivan who was believed to have started the fire! The writers really did their homework on this ep.

For more on TGCF, see
http://www.thechicagofire.com/

And just in case Janet has that song out of her head by now: "Let grasses grow and water flow in a free and easy way; and give me enough of that fine old stuff that's made near Galway Bay..." (Hey, it was in *my* head - just felt the need to share :D )
Janet486
12/20/00
There was a fire. The water tower is the building that survived. Daniel Sullivan had a peg leg. The cow didn't start the fire but they're not sure what did. The O'Leary's house didn't burn. Sullivan could not have seen what started the fire from where he said he was sitting.

Earlydues that website is the one I was looking at I think. It even diagrams the street and where everybody and everything was that night!

One theory is that Sullivan lied because he knew he'd be lynched but they wouldn't harm a woman.

That website even has the words to the stupid song. All I can think of is "Green Acres" and the volunteer firefighter's band which couldn't play the song at the right tempo. They play it at less than half the speed. Am I dating myself? :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0087.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com