EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Blind Faith

Author
12/20/00
I found an old tape today and discovered it was the ep Blind Faith, which I didn't know I had. Talk about discovering a treasure! What a beautiful ep.

I love the scene at the end when he hugs Marissa and asks her if she has a smile on her face and she says "really big"! Then he pulls back and tells her he can see then pulls her close again. Then they walk off together his arm around her. (sigh) I think that has now become my favorite Gary/Marissa moment. :)

While I was watching the scene on the roof of the burning building, I couldn't help but think of Fate. When Gary tells Cameron to go without him, I wondered if he was thinking of Jeremiah. The similarity of the situations was eerie, and I wonder if the writers meant it that way. Any body have any thoughts on this?
kellyjo
12/20/00
I really really hope they put Blind Faith on here in Australia! They haven't got to it yet. They keep skipping episodes and it's not fair! I've got Fate on video and it's a great episode. Yesterday Snow Angels was on and that was excellent. How DID Marissa know he wasn't wearing a hat and scarf?! :)
Janet486
12/21/00
Marissa knows Gary. She always knew when he was in the office because she had a "nose for gabardine" meaning she knew when he was wearing his raincoat.

Fate and Blind Faith are similar in that rooftop scene except that in Blind Faith it was Gary who needed rescuing. For a guy who's afraid of heights it must have been pretty scary to have this kid half your size pull and push you along to escape the danger behind and below him.

The only problem I have with Blind Faith is that Gary got his eyesight back a little fast for someone whose eyes were burned. Ask earlydues her opinion. She brought out some good points about Braille and cane travel etc. (Go ahead and chip in your two cents worth here earlydues.)

I like the hug at the end but you forgot about how Marissa automatically reached for Gary's hand in the ER not once but twice and then spent the night on his couch because she knew he was scared.

As for the Austrailian fan who hasn't seen this episode yet go into the fanscripts section of this website. I did it months ago and it's up and readable/printable. Between my work and whatever earlydues did to it (she says very little) it will give you an idea of what happens. You have to see it to really appreciate it but the fanscript should help.

Blind Faith I think was the first really serious episode I saw. I love it.
karens608
12/21/00
I thought your comment about Gary getting his sight back rather quickly in Blind Faith was interesting because one thing I liked about the fanfic "Out of Darkness" was the fact that Gary had to deal with being blind for a longer period of time(something like two weeks, I think),which I thought was a bit more believable. I still love Blind Faith, though, and in fact consider it to be one of my top ten favorites. I was thinking, though. A lot of strange things have happened to Gary since he started getting the paper(i.e., dreaming about things he had no prior knowledge of, talking to dead people), maybe getting his sight back after one day is another.
shana93
12/21/00
Karen, good theory about Gary getting his sight back. That is so true that strange things have happened to him since getting the paper.

Janet, I love the hand holding scene also, but for some reason, it's the scene toward the end that just moves me. Gary is holding Marissa so tightly and they're both so happy to be together again. It's beautiful.

I think I'm gonna write a short fanfic to explain what I meant about the similarities of that scene on the roof and Fate, because I have all these ideas about what Gary was thinking and feeling .
Janet486
12/21/00
Karen - Out of Darkness is one of my favorites. I printed it out and have it in a binder along with some others including my own two that have been posted. Keep watching the Tales From The Tavern site. I've submitted 3 new short pieces. Missing scene type stuff.

You're right, of course, about the strange things that have happened to Gary. Dreaming about a murdered woman and about the location of a another murder (Where or When, Deadline)are among them. It just gets me that he got his sight back so quickly when he even said he "could see in a couple days". I always maintain that he and Cameron saved each other in much the same way that he and Tommy Grazier (Faith) saved each other. Tommy saved Gary's life by interfering with Eddie's intentions and Gary saved Tommy's life and saved him from a lifestyle he was not suited for nor interested in.

Cameron saved Gary's life and Gary saved Cameron from a lifestyle that he was not suited for. He wasn't the punk that the other two were.

Shana - I love the hug too! But I still love the hand holding. She just automatically reached for it knowing that Gary must be very badly frightened and unnerved. And the way she didn't argue with him that night in the loft but probably let him fall asleep and then made herself comfortable on the couch without his knowledge.

Gary doesn't get enough appreciation from the people he helps so Marissa kind of makes up for it.

You did notice how Cameron made sure he was ok at the end didn't you? When they were out of the warehouse, off the roof of the other building and on the street again.

I always look at that scene as Gary has his arm around Marissa but he's shaky enough to appreciate Vadim having his arm around him to steady him. Vadim was funny but he was a good guy! I love the "cake chart" comment! :)
karens608
12/21/00
I've been meaning to put the fanfics I've printed out into a binder, too. I've printed out so many, and I've just got them lying all over the place. Maybe I'll find the time after Christmas.
I've always thought that the reason Gary made the comment about being able to see in a couple of days was because he didn't want to face the possibility of not getting his sight back at all. I also thought it was interesting that he told Marissa that he couldn't see, but said, "No, I'm not," when Marissa said, "He's blind," as if "can't see" meant it was temporary, while "blind" meant it was permanent.
And I definitely agree with you about loving the part where they reach for each others hand - I think it's very moving.
tdmiller82
12/21/00
Shana ("The Queen of Writing Emotions"), PLEASE....PLEASE....PLEASE write that fan fic story about the similiarities between the roof scenes in Blind Faith and Fate. Are you feeling pressure here? Good...than I succeeded Seriously, though, I've been very impressed by your talent for conveying emotions in your stories. I LOVE it!
shana93
12/21/00
LOL Tracy,
You and Dollene would make great promotion agents. How much do I owe you? ;) It's funny about the whole "Queen of writing emotions" thing, because since you mentioned that, I've realized that the parts I struggle most with in my stories are the parts not related to the characters thoughts or feelings. :O

Just for you Tracy, I'll start writing that story today or tomorrow. It shouldn't take long because I have a feeling it'll be a short one. Thanks for the encouragement. :)
Janet486
12/21/00
Hey girls, it sounds good to me. Get going woman. We need to see this one.

My little beta reader keeps telling me that I write good stuff. Have you seen Forgotten Memories yet? It's been up for about a week. Gary's Return from Oz was not an emotional one in the same vein but it was a little emotional. If you remember the Wizard of Oz and how the movie ended you'll get an idea.

I submitted a couple of others to Peregrin Anna but they aren't up yet. Mom's Reflections is a "missing scene" from Fate, Safe at Home is a "missing scene" from The Fourth Carpathian and Vindicated is a 'missing scene" from The Wall. Not all of them are up. Just Forgotten Memories and Oz.

Fate and Blind Faith were very emotional episodes. So wasn't Faith, Snow Angels and somehow the ending of Up Chuck gets to me. I thought that Gary was somewhat lost without Chuck and his nonsense to bring him back to the "real world". I got a little choked up when he called Chuck in California at the end of the story.
tdmiller82
12/21/00
Bless you Shana :) BTW, I know that Dollene is an awesome promotion agent. I would have never posted my story but for her :)
Dollene
12/21/00
You guys make me blush. I just call em as I see em. If I read something I like I want everyone else to read it. :) I'm kind of goofy that way.
tdmiller82
12/22/00
Shana, Thank you so much for your wonderful short story of what Gary was thinking on the rooftop in Blind Faith comparing his thoughts with his rooftop experience in Fate. I sent you an e-mail, but I had to say it again, your writing ability is awesome! Each time I think that you can't impress me any more than you already have, you come up with another winner :) BRAVO!
earlydues
12/22/00
Janet wrote:
//The only problem I have with Blind Faith is that Gary got his eyesight back a little fast for someone whose eyes were burned. Ask earlydues her opinion. She brought out some good points about Braille and cane travel etc. (Go ahead and chip in your two cents worth here earlydues.)//

There were some really *great* moments in that ep -- the hug at the end, hand grabbing at the hospital. But the best scene, IMO, was Gary and Marissa just sitting there in Gary's room *talking*. I think my point was that, overall, I didn't think the episode was one of the best, because it was just so... rushed. Just like *that* /snaps fingers/ he's blind and just as quickly he can see again. And in between they brought in OneEpisodeBartender!Vadim to help Gary instead of using Marissa! Here they had a *perfect* opportunity to put Marissa to good use, and they wasted it.

I would have liked to have seen this be a two-parter, taken a bit more slowly. Showing scenes of Marissa teaching Gary how to use the cane, how to read braille, how to survive sightless. More like Yapha's "Out of Darkness," frankly.

However, having said all that, those too few scenes between G & M were *so* well done, that I'm willing to forgive the rest of what they *didn't* show, and enjoy the episode for that fact alone.

I don't know, did any of that make sense? I shouldn't try to type coherently when I'm tired.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0089.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com