EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Deer Trapped In The Headlights

Author
12/18/00
Let's try to name all the times that Gary has that "deer trapped in the headlights" look on his face.

Start with The Play's The Thing when the director told him that he was the "hero among us" that would take the place of the injured player (who was injured during one of Gary's saves).

Also when he tried to get away from his mom in "Nest Egg".
shana93
12/18/00
Gary gets that look in A Bris is just a Bris when he saves Abby and then discovers she's Tony's Abby. Also, in that same ep he has that look in the end when the blonde comes in to McGinty's to thank him for saving her life. Actually, he gets that look on his face a lot in that ep.
Janet486
12/18/00
Good call. I had forgotten about that one. But as soon as I saw what you posted I remember that I was yelling at Gary to run but he didn't listen. After all the trouble he had with Abby you'd think he'd run when some strange woman comes walking into the bar/restaurant looking for him.

By the time he reacted it was too late. He was about to be trapped again. He should have listened to me! I knew he was in trouble when she walked in.
shana93
12/18/00
Janet, LOL It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who talks to the tv while watching EE. :D
Janet486
12/18/00
Good call. I had forgotten about that one. But as soon as I saw what you posted I remember that I was yelling at Gary to run but he didn't listen. After all the trouble he had with Abby you'd think he'd run when some strange woman comes walking into the bar/restaurant looking for him.

By the time he reacted it was too late. He was about to be trapped again. He should have listened to me! I knew he was in trouble when she walked in.
Janet486
12/18/00
LOL all you want all of you. I talk to the TV all the time. With Gary it's usually something like "sarcasm ill becomes you sweetie!"

In A Bris Is Just a Bris it was definitely "Run".

I talk to Walker, Texas Ranger and Touched By an Angel too somewhat. Bonanza's a great one for talking to!

I can't help myself. These characters get to me!
karens608
12/18/00
Doesn't he have that look on his face in The Iceman Taketh when he's watching Brigatti take off her stockings? He definitely stares, that's for sure. ;) Or maybe when he sees Anne for the first time in Where or When?
Janet486
12/18/00
I don't think those quite qualify. They're interesting expressions though. What I'm thinking of is the times when he's like only half paying attention (TPTT) and suddenly finds himself involved in something he wants no part of or as in Nest Egg when he realizes he's in trouble and wants to escape (the wrath of his mother for instance).
shana93
12/18/00
How about when he opens his shower curtain to find Marissa standing there holding his towel. I can't remember which ep that's from, but it's so funny because he forgets for a moment that she's blind.
Candii
12/18/00
How about in Fatal Edition, when the night policeman shines his flashlight into Gary's face when he was kneeling over the body of Scanlon. He really looked like a trapped deer in that scene.
shana93
12/18/00
There is a scene from The Iceman Taketh where he gets that look. On the boat when he first encounters Brigatti and he says her name. She grabs him and says "say my name again and your fish food" and he has that look on his face. That ep is so funny!
Ren713
12/18/00
I guess this really isn't a deer in the headlights moment, but it is one of my favorites, because it's one of the Gary moments that I refer to as "right planet, different world." The scene in "Jenny Sloan" where he is staring at the picture of Kevin, trying to figure out why he'd give up on chemo, and Chuck is babling about something and he finally turns to Gary and says "Are you listening to me?" and he says "Sure, put it on the menu."
Dollene
12/18/00
How about in Dad when the girl he saved in the woods runs into him on the street and thanks him in front of his Dad. Or how about in the Wall when he is going to the station and he sees Chuck in handcuffs and he then realizes he is in a world of trouble. Also the same ep when he finds the editor dead in his office.
tdmiller82
12/18/00
Hey Candi... you beat me to it....I was going to mention that Fatal Edition moment.
Amy-Kokomo
12/19/00
In the Weather Girl, when Rebecca grabs him by the collar and starts yelling at him that she won't go back to being a failure. That look of fear and confusion is funny! Poor Gary!
Janet486
12/20/00
I hadn't thought about Weather Girl. Ooh, that's a good one. Of course, we have to admit he brought that on himself.

The shower scene with Marissa is from The Pilot.

The "Dad" scene qualifies I think.

"Fishfood"? I forgot that comment! It sounds like her! She's such a pill sometimes! Most of the time!
Candii
12/20/00
Sorry Trace :) I know that if you had posted first, thats the scene you would have picked. :)

Heres another one and this one is from Fate too. When Armstrong catches up with Gary in the Suntimes printing room.
Janet486
12/20/00
Candii you're thinking of Fatal Edition Part 2. Not Fate. Gary was nowhere near the Sun-Times print room in Fate. He may have passed the building but he was never inside.

I would venture to say that the look you're thinking of is more like sheer panic that his flight may be ended before he's proved his innocence.
Janet486
12/20/00
Ren, Chuck is always babbling about something. It's just that this time that you're talking about Gary wasn't paying attention to him like he should have. He's going to be in a lot of trouble if he keeps that up.
tdmiller82
12/20/00
What is this Candi, are you inside my brain or something? LOL. You keep beating me to those Fatal Edition moments before I get the chance to post. :) The printing room confrontation between Armstrong & Candi was what I was going to say next.
Candii
12/20/00
Oops! I meant Fatal Edition 2, not Fate. Thanks Janet. :)
Tracy~ You must have been away from your computer both times. :)
tdmiller82
12/21/00
I was working on my story & every time I went back to read these posts & contribute my own replies, I'd read what you wrote. I'm a twin so I've kind of gotta used to the ESP thing with my twin sister Stacy, but it was kind of creepy when you mentioned the 2 instances I was going to mention. You know I have "Fatal Edition on the brain" LOL.
karens608
12/27/00
I can't believe that none of us realized that there was an actual "deer in the headlights" scene in Lt. Hobson, USN! I laughed out loud when I saw it because of the fact that this topic had just been mentioned on the board. :D
Janet486
12/27/00
Karen, enlighten us. I haven't watch LHUSN for a while. When does he have that look? When he tackles the admiral and the admiral looks at him or what? I'll have to watch that one again.
karens608
12/27/00
No, it's when Gary tackles Emily's boyfriend and the MPs show up. Gary looks up at the car's headlights and kind of stares at them blankly for a couple of seconds.
Janet486
12/27/00
Ok. Got it. I'll have to watch that one again soon. I think I know what you're talking about. He must have that look about the time he realizes that one of the MPs is the guy from the tattoo parlor. He was out for vengeance over something that's stupid to begin with.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0092.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com