EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Gary's Fear of Heights

Author
11/17/00
I know how Gary feels about heights. That must have been pretty scary for him in a few eposides where he was up high saving someone, and he looked down. In Where and When, that must have been awful scary for him when he helped saved the girl and to go back for her teddy bear. I'm a little scared of heights myself, espcially on roller coasters.
Dollene
11/17/00
I can sympathize. I can't look over a second floor railing without getting dizzy. I think it all stems from the time I went in the St. Louis Arch. I haven't been the same since. Fear of heights and clostrophic all from that one trip.
shana93
11/17/00
Also, in the Fourth Carpathian, he had such a look of horror on his face when the brothers said "now for the dismount". Poor Gary!

Speaking of Where or When, wasn't it just too cute when he called the little girl "Honey". I loved that!
stephaniearwen
11/17/00
OH MY GOD, I DEFINITELY sympathize with Gary's fear of heights- I'm absolutely terrified of them! And yet, I still persist on doing stupid things like going hiking with my friends-EVERY TIME I get close to the top of whatever mountain we happen to be climbing, I'm almost screaming in fear. Then there was the time I went up to the cupula in the capital building here in Colonial Williamsburg- I was like, "Get me down NOW!" I have no idea where the heck such an intense fear came from, but I've had it for as long as I can remember. And can you believe, I actually want to go to the Sears Tower if my boyfriend and I go to Chicago this winter??? What's the matter with me??? LOL! :)

I totally identified with Gary's pure terror as he was being rescued in "The Fourth Carpathian-" the way he was holding on for dear life seriously had me ROTFL, because I knew that would be my reaction in a similar situation. :) Another scene that had me cringing sympathetically was the jump in "Blind Faith-" that kind of a leap would horrify me SIGHTED! Gary must've been scared out of his mind without his sight!
Ren713
11/17/00
When I think about it, it's not heights I'm afraid of, its widths. Anyway I think Gary's fear of heights is another Kyle/Gary cross over. I remember reading somewhere that Kyle didn't enjoy doing climbing scenes because he wasn't crazy about heights.
Jenna213
11/17/00
I can identify with Gary, because I am uncomfortable with heights.
The thing that I'm wondering about...is why in some episodes, like "Where and When" is Gary terrified of heights, while in other episodes he seems to think nothing of height...For example, in "In Gary we trust" when he saves the secretary from the top of a building, he isn't scared. In the Pilot ep., he and the bank robber are on top of the roof of the bank, and he's not frightend. And on The Iceman taketh, he saves Brigatti from falling off the top of the hotel... and they stand there on the outside of the ledge for at least a minute!
Dollene
11/17/00
Yes, but if you watch that scene from the Iceman taketh closely he keeps grabbing hold of the railing. Like he really wanted to get off the ledge but he was giving Brigatti time to recoup. Ain't he swell? :)
rosee
11/18/00
I didn't know that Gary was afraid of heights. Did they mention that in any particular episode, or did you all just notice it from his mannerisms? I can't believe I didn't notice that. I can usually notice the most subtle things in shows, movies. etc. I know why directors use certain camera angles, lighting, etc....but this I didn't notice.
Candii
11/18/00
Rosee, in the episode Black Out, Gary mentions not liking heights. When Marisa was trapped on top of an abandoned building that was condemned.He had to climb up to get her,andI believe that was the first time that I had ever heard him mention that he didn't like heights. :)
Candii
11/18/00
//I can usually notice the most subtle things in shows, movies. etc. I know why directors use certain camera angles, lighting, etc....but this I didn't notice.//

Rosee. You mentioned that you usually notice most subtle things in this show. And I know thats true concerning all of us dedicated, and focused EE fans. But every now and then something will come up that we might have missed. I mentioned this earlier and never got a response from anyone. In the episode, In Gary We Trust, when Gary was having a dream about him and Erica kissing. When Gary woke up did you hear the clock radio say, "Goodmorning sweetheart' when it came on. You have to listen very carefully, otherwise it sounds like it normally does, like "Goodmorning Chicago..or something like that. I'm not crazy, really. I know what I heard. :) Maybe I'm too focused.
Dollene
11/18/00
Candii, I am sorry I forgot about that. I meant to go back and watch it. I will try to remember tonight when I get home to pop it in and watch it. I know how it drives me crazy if I think I've seen something and no one else does. I'll let you know tonight. :)
Janet486
12/01/00
In Blackout as Gary is climing to the scaffolding where Marissa is trapped he says with a couple of hesitations "I really don't like heights a lot". Maybe not exactly in that way but similar.

In Where or When I think he got dizzy with the sun blinding him where it shone off the metal behind the image of the girl.

In The Iceman Taketh he definitely was holding on for dear life even though he was helping Brigatti. You should notice that he was extremely careful. Maybe that's why he scraped his wrist so badly.

In the Pilot and In Gary We Trust he wasn't in any danger. It's one thing to be on the roof it's quite another to be on the edge of the roof in danger of falling off. It's getting to close to the edge that sets him off. At least he's able to conquer it long enough to do what he has to do. One little inconsistency about Blackout though. Gary's fear of heights is a well known fact. He mentions it to Marissa who tells him to be careful but he shows no fear of the ladder mounted in the back of the pickup truck when he needed to help save Max Lee. Maybe it was the adrenalin rush of knowing he had to help so he just didn't think about it.
kellyjo
12/28/00
What about in Fate? He tried to save that man Jeremiah from the burning building, and he crossed the plank to another building and kept saying to Jeremiah "don't look down! Come on, come on, Jeremiah!" etc. was he showing any signs of being afraid of heights?
Janet486
12/28/00
Kellyjo, if you pay attention to Gary as he's crawling across the ladder in Fate you'll notice that he got dizzy when he looked down. The scene made it lookl like everything was spinning around as he looked down on his way across. I couldn't help thinking that Gary was already in trouble the first time I saw that one. And then the horrible, tragic loss of Jeremiah that put Gary on the edge of a nervous breakdown. That episode gets to all of us.
kellyjo
12/28/00
Thanks Janet, I'll have to watch the episode again. I didn't realise before readise before reading this message board that Gary was afraid of heights. It's just that I haven't seen a lot of episodes I guess, or it's been a while since I saw some of the 1st and 2nd season episdoes and I didn't know about it.
Janet486
12/29/00
You're quite welcome kellyjo. I noticed because it was the regular blur the camera and fix it type thing to indicate the dizziness.

In Blackout (Season 3 I think it was) he tells Marissa (I think she already knew though) that he really doesn't like heights a lot. That's why I think the silly cashew story was as much to keep himself calm as it was for Marissa's benefit.
kellyjo
12/29/00
Hey! Guess what? I watched Fate last night!!! From my video copy. I've heard the clips on TJ's website for Fate and when Jeremiah falls from the ladder and his yell is heard, he gives a long yell. That yell is cut off on the tv and it goes straight to the intro. credits theme.

Anyway when Gary goes across the ladder I look closely. He's going slow, holding tightly, and did you notice his face? It's contorted in a mixture of fear and concentration (I've got to do this....).

Great episode!

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0100.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com