EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Occasionally Amber

Author
01/03/01
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Chuck believed Jade when she said that Gary made a pass at her? Chuck has known Gary for much longer than he knew Jade & he knows the kind of guy that Gary is. Why would he believe for even a second that Gary would do such a thing? Also, anyone could see that Jade was on top of Gary on the bed looking like she was wrestling with him to get something. Chuck should have noticed that. Any thoughts?
Dollene
01/04/01
Tracy, you posted this just to bait me didn't you. Since you know I'm not a fan of Jade. Hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here. I don't like too many of the female characters on the show. ;) Well, I only dispise one, this one I distrust. Yes it bothered me very much that Chuck would believe Gary would do such a thing. Isn't Chuck the one who accuses Gary of living like a monk? And to think if he was going to do something it would be with his fiance'. I would be more apt to believe she would throw herself at Gary than the other way around. Gary is just too nice of a guy. And Chuck knows that. I don't know what he was thinking. And why didn't chuck comment of her mention of Gary's glutes. My cable was messed up and it kept cutting in and out. But wasn't Chuck in the room when she said she knew with those glutes he would get away. That should have made Chuck see red if anything.
Janet486
01/04/01
Chuck always was dense. Yes he should have noticed that Amber/Jade was on top and fighting with him to get something away from him.

Gary is not the kind of guy who comes onto another man's woman be she wife or girlfriend or fiancee. Nor is the kind to play the field. Look how broken up he was when Marcia dumped him. Does anyone really believe a guy like that would sleep around or hit on someone else's woman? Get real! It's not his style!

And as for Detective Brigatti - SHE'S ALL WRONG FOR HIM! How could anyone possibly think that this woman who punches, kicks and verbally abuses a guy is worthy of his affection?
karens608
01/04/01
I don't know. I think Brigatti had a right to be mad at Gary. I mean, he lied to her about seeing Amber, she caught the two of them with blueprints for the auction house, plus, to top it off, she was kidnapped. I think I would've been mad at him, too. As for Chuck, I guess love really is blind.
tdmiller82
01/04/01
Dollene, I knew that I was opening a can of worms with posting this topic, but I decided that I'd do it anyway. Yes, Chuck was in the room when Jade commented about Gary's glutes (actually they were at the altar when she said it. Chuck made a face, but didn't say anything). I want to give Chuck the benefit of the doubt & say he was just crazy in love (no pun from Homefront intended :)) But I still hate the way he treated Gary.

Janet, I expected your comments. Let me say initially, that I agree with you that I hated how Brigatti whacked Gary in the jaw in the episode. But to play devil's advocate, I also hated the way she was treated as well. True, Gary didn't cause her to be kidnapped, but that event alone is enough to make the woman see red & conceivably not think rationally & assign culpability to Gary because he was working with Jade. We also know from "The Ice Man Taketh" that Brigatti was jealous of Jade & perhaps thought that Gary was involved with her.

If you read my fan fic story, "Hobson's Choice", you know that I addressed Brigatti's behavior from "Fatal Edition". Since that is my favorite EE episode, I wanted to focus on it first. But don't think for a second that I forgotten how she acted in "Occasionally Amber" I soften Brigatti up in my story because I do like her & wanted her as a love interest for Gary (Sorry). In my upcoming sequel, I have Jade stirring up alot of trouble for Gary & Brigatti. There will be bumps in their relationship & her behavior in "Occasionally Amber" will be addressed.

I thank you for your post. And like it was said on this board previously (I think by Shana & Sari when they were discussing Erica), I think that it is great that we all can have differences of opinion but give each other enough respect to acknowledge these differences.

shana93
01/04/01
When Brigatti told Gary to tell Amber to keep her hands off his glutes, did anyone else think that was an awfully possessive attitude for someone who hasn't even gone on one date with the guy yet???

I have to agree that Brigatti had every right to be angry with Gary in this ep, but I didn't like the fact that she socked him in the jaw. >:(
shana93
01/04/01
I also thought it very strange that Brigatti was working alone. Shouldn't she have had a partner, especially when she was staking out Amber's hotel room? I kept thinking--where is Winslow?
tdmiller82
01/04/01
Winslow? That would have been funny :). I like that guy even in the few scenes that he was in. That's why I integrated him briefly in both of my stories :) But you are right about having a partner at the stakeout. That was odd that she didn't.
shana93
01/04/01
I thought Winslow was a funny character too, and would've made a wonderful addition to this ep. :)
Janet486
01/04/01
You know, I had forgotten about Winslow but was Brigatti totally alone? She was talking to someone about the case on the radio while she was staking out the hotel room. Wasn't that her partner even if it wasn't Winslow?

I think Gary lied about seeing Amber/Jade for two reasons. One self defense/self incrimination (that hot Latin temper jumps to conclusions rather quickly) and because he didn't want to hurt Chuck. He couldn't even bring himself to tell Chuck about her involvement in the diamond theft.

Would you say that he had that "deer trapped in the headlights" look on his face when Brigatti confronted him after Chuck threw him out of the hotel room?
Janet486
01/04/01
One more thing. I think Toni Brigatti's biggest problem is that she doesn't always stop to think. If she had she would have known better than to think that Gary was involved in a jewel heist. Isn't she the one who said to Paul Armstrong (and I quote) "This is Gary Hobson we're talking about. He's more peanut butter and jelly than Jekyll and Hyde."

I think Gary needs a girl with a personality like Emma but a little more sure of herself. Emma was a sweet little thing.
TerriRuth
01/04/01
My husband's previous comment on Brigatti is "Brigatti's too butch." Last night when Brigatti told Gary, "We're through." My husband was asking, "When were they ever doing anything? They haven't even been on a date." I too, like to give Chuck the benefit of thinking maybe his brain is jello at the moment and he's just not thinking straight. I know he hasn't seen Gary in a while, but he should know Gary would never do something like that.
tdmiller82
01/05/01
While watching "In Gary We Trust" last night, a thought occurred to me which I think is why most people have a big problem with Brigatti. From her very first scene, she was written as this "tough girl cop with a bad attitude". The writers never allowed her character to grow or to reveal other layers of her personality. We may have seen a few sprinkles of humanity here & there (or may be I was the only one seeing them because I liked her right away & thought that there was more to her character then what was revealed), but for the most part, Brigatti acted the same way through her appearances on EE.
Ren713
01/05/01
Said it before, I'll say it again. If the shoe had been on the other foot, and Gary had hit Brigatti, no one would be rushing to his defense.
Candii
01/05/01
Oh, did In Gary We Trust play tonight? I missed it! Anyway, in the scene where Gary wakes up after kissing Erica in his dream, didn't ANYONE hear the clock radio say, "Goodmorning Sweetheart?" :)
shana93
01/05/01
Candi, I paid close attention to that part because I remember you spoke of that before. Anyway, it sounded like "Good morning Chica" and then Gary turns it off. I'll go back and listen again.
Macredd
01/06/01
I don't blame Brigatti for punching Gary. If you think about all of the anger and frustration she must've felt while trying to get untied. By the time she got there, she was probably ready to kill him.

As for the comment about hands off his glutes, Shana, I thought the same thing. I also thought "who does she think she is" when she told Gary not to get any ideas when she caught the bouquet. She was a little full of herself in my opinion. They hadn't even had a date. In reality, that would send a guy running the other direction. I don't think she was right for him either. If she had been, I would've liked to see him at her door at the end of "Time" after he had watched all of the couples walking by while thinking of Lucius Snow's advice.
karens608
01/06/01
I think Brigatti was just teasing when she made the "hands off" comment because you can see she had a little smile on her face when she said it. And when she caught the bouquet, she was probably still a little teed off at Gary. Sorry, but I like Brigatti, so you'll just have to put up with me defending her. :) (Actually, I've caught myself defending Erica's actions on occasion - Now there's a scary thought!)
Macredd
01/06/01
Actually, I like Brigatti. I just don't think she was "the one" for him. They definitely had chemistry, which was a huge improvement over Erica. There are times when I almost like Erica, but it never lasts long. Honestly (shhhhh...don't tell Dollene) I actually felt sorry for her in her last episode, but not badly enough to want her to stay.
shana93
01/06/01
I liked Brigatti too, especially in In Gary We Trust, although I did get mad at her at times. Suzanne, you should read Dollene's story For Better or Worse---all sympathy for a certain blonde will fly right out the window. :D
Dollene
01/06/01
Haha, As long as it doesn't last long Suzanne. I admit to having a little, very little sympathy to her in certain fanfics I have read. But like you it is temporary. And Shana can you tell I was watching an ep with Erica when I wrote that chapter. I was so angry at her actions on the screen I couldn't help myself.
Macredd
01/07/01
Ok... Shana and Dollene, you're wearing me down. I have yet to read any fanfic for fear I will become addicted and neglect my husband and children, but you've convinced me to check it out. Especially if there's some juicy Erica-bashing. I just can't resist that.
Jenna213
01/07/01
I have a question...In OA, after the man in the temple presented the presidential pardon, he said "our report to Langley will of course inclued the fine cooperation of..." I don't know if I missed something, but does anyone know who Langley is? (this has been bugging me for quite some time)
shana93
01/07/01
I think Langley is where the headquarters of the FBI is, but I'm not 100% sure. Hope this helps. :)
tdmiller82
01/08/01
You are probably right. I had originally thought that Langley was Brigatti's boss at the Chicago PD.
shana93
01/08/01
Well they always mention Langley on the X-Files, so I'm pretty sure it's either the headquarters of the FBI or CIA. I knew my X-Files obsession would come in handy one of these days.
karens608
01/08/01
I would tend to think that it's the headquarters of the CIA because I'm not sure that the FBI would get involved in trying to avert a Balkan war.
shana93
01/08/01
Yes, Karen, you are probably right. Thanks! :)
Janet486
01/08/01
I think you'll find that Langly (Or Langley) is a city in Virginia and quite likely the home to FBI/CIA headquarters. Check the encylopedia or the Internet on that.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0104.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com