EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: EE Dailies/Rough Cuts - Offer

Author
03/09/01
Posting the following for bristorv@bellsouth.net.

===============

EARLY EDITION DAILIES/ROUGH CUTS
I (Valerie) recently won 2 hours worth of EARLY EDITION DAILIES on eBay. My main purpose in bidding was to be able to share these special segments with other EE/Kyle fans.

WHAT ARE DAILIES? Dailies, sometimes called rough cuts, consist of the footage prior to the finished product we see on TV. "The Medal" (approximately 65 minutes) and "Mum's the Word" (approximately 8 minutes) contain raw footage straight from filming. You hear the director yell "action" and "cut." There is no music, no sound effects. You see the same scene filmed from different angles–far away, close-ups, focus on one character. One example, on TV you often see the camera switching from one character to another; in dailies the camera might stay on the character during the entire scene (you will see more of Gary than you did in the scene that was broadcast). "Where or When" is a producer's cut; it is very close to the finished product, but there are some differences (no beginning or ending credits, differences with "photo" used at the end, etc.) and is approximately 48 minutes long meaning there are 3 extra minutes of footage not aired during the broadcast. The quality on all three is fairly good.

WARNING! Kyle swears some when one scene does not go as well as he would like, so if you are sensitive to that, I just thought you should be warned!

For further information and directions on how to order, visit:
EE Dailies/Rough Cuts Offer

============================

Disclaimer: This cool-beans offer is being made by Valerie, not by EarlyDues. No profit is being made in any way by EarlyDues and/or the EarlyDues Early Edition Website. Caveat Emptor and all that jazz. :)
earlydues
03/09/01
I got a chance to see this tape last night and it was quite interesting! I now know why it is that I was never particularly fond of the El scene from "The Medal." LOL! Gives one a new appreciation for all the work the cast & crew put into filming each episode. And the bits that make up the "3 extra minutes" from "Where or When" are hilarious!
Cov35
03/09/01
how much does kyle swear??? just wondering cuz i watched a rough cut like that of a different show [not starring kyle] and this actor just kept swearing and swearing and everyone got fed up with him.
earlydues
03/09/01
It's not a whole bunch or anything. He does drop the "f-bomb" a few times during one scene that looks particularly frustrating for Kyle - he can't seem to remember his lines and he moves when he's not supposed to and he keeps having to run up those stairs. He does apologize at one point for messing up the scene. ;)
abc981
03/09/01
//Gives one a new appreciation for all the work the cast & crew put into filming each episode.//

Does it ever!! I actually felt sorry for Kyle after about the millionth time of running up those steps and repeating the same lines over and over and over...I started to think that when Gary snapped at Chuck after he ran up the stairs to show him the paper, it wasn't necessarily acting at all. LOL

Doing a 30 minute sitcom with an ensemble cast must seem like a piece of cake after doing EE week after week!
earlydues
03/10/01
//I started to think that when Gary snapped at Chuck after he ran up the stairs to show him the paper, it wasn't necessarily acting at all.//

LOL! I wondered about that too. ;) He seemed soooooo frustrated with himself. Poor guy... looked like he was trying *really* hard to not only get the scene right, but to not to snap at the crew in the process.

What I found really funny though was the first time that the three of them actually made it as far as going down the steps. The comment that Kyle threw in was *exactly* what I was thinking when I first saw the episode. ROFLMAO!!
abc981
03/10/01
//The comment that Kyle threw in was *exactly* what I was thinking when I first saw this episode. ROFLMAO!!//

LOL!!! He picked up on that right quick, didn't he?! ;)
springfever
03/10/01
I too got the tape. It does make you look at the filming process in a new light. Doing the same scene over and over, etc. I just liked how you kind of get to see KC, not Gary doing the work. I don't care if he is swearing-I could look and listen to that guy read the phone book all day-he's soooooo gorgeous.
TobMar
03/10/01
I agree 100% with what everyone else said about the dailies. I learned alot about how a scene is filmed. I had no idea that the actors and extras repeated the same scene so many times. The swearing did not bother me one bit. What I saw was someone completely putting himself into something he believed in. The impression I got was that if the show wasn't important to Kyle, he probably wouldn't have reacted as he did when things went wrong.
shana93
03/10/01
I am so jealous that y'all got to see the tape already. Mine came while I was on vacation (yes, I'm finally home now) :). I'm too tired to watch it tonight, but tomorrow for sure. I'm so in need of a KC fix.
Candii
03/10/01
Rats! I keep forgetting to get my money order! I feel so left out! :( Hope you had a nice vacation Shana! :) Don't feel bad, I don't even have my tape yet. For sure I will send for it tomorrow!
TobMar
03/11/01
Candii, I sent cash (completely covered) and I got the tape in a couple days.
Candii
03/11/01
Thanks TobMar! I'll do that today! I can't wait to get my tape!
shana93
03/11/01
I finally watched my tape. Wow!! I didn't realize how many times they filmed a scene. That would be so frustrating. :O

I watched "Where or When" too and I have a question. Was that a different picture of 'Jimmy' then the one that made the final cut? He looked like Gomer Pyle in this one. I thought I remembered him by a jeep with a group of marine buddies with his uniform and a different style hat on. Am I losing it?
abc981
03/11/01
No, you're not losing it! That was a completely different picture than the one they actually used in the finished episode. Maybe they didn't want him to look like Gomer Pyle. LOL!
springfever
03/12/01
It was a different picture used in the actual show. The one used in the dailies looked a little goofy-kinda like Gary's head was too big superimposed on his body!

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0107.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc. earlydues@yahoo.com