EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: EE related moments in other movies or shows.

Author
02/04/01
Today I was watching the movie "Groundhog Day", which obviously reminds me of "Run, Gary Run". But there were other things in it that reminded me of EE. Bill Murray's character, Phil, keeps catching this kid who falls out of a tree and the kid runs off. Phil yells after him, "you never thank me", and it reminded me so much of Gary. Then there's a scene in a bar, and the bartender is played by the same man who plays Morris, Sun-Times archivist. I'm sure there are a lot of other movies and shows that have moments like that so I thought it would be interesting to share them.
Macredd
02/04/01
Shana~ "Groundhog Day" is so similar to "Run, Gary, Run" that I immediately got into it. The only other movie I can think of off the top of my head that reminds me of EE is "Frequency". The scene with the newspaper especially. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
shana93
02/04/01
I haven't seen "Frequency", but I heard it's good. There's a scene in "Angel's Dance" where Stevie and Tony (Kyle's character) are looking in the paper for Angel's obituary. It was another EE reminder.
Candii
02/04/01
where Stevie and Tony (Kyle's character) are looking in the paper for Angel's obituary. It was another EE reminder.

Shana~ I thought so too. LOL! :) And he was being whacked across the forehead with it too! That was so cute!
shana93
02/04/01
Candi, that was cute when he got whacked with the paper. :D

In "Pure Country", Kyle's character, Buddy is being confronted by George Strait's character and he says, "Howzat?". I instantly thought of EE.
darbyross
02/04/01
Frequency definately reminded me of EE.. How he kept looking at the newspaper from 1969 and the headlines kept changing whenever he did something to change the past. Shana, I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's tonight and of course the orange tabby named cat. :) And didn't Holly remind you of Princess Sibella on Romancing the throne. The way she wore her hair and talked and then the scene where she was rubbing her foot on her leg. It was a very good movie. And of course What Women want with all the former EE guest stars showing up in that movie and the orange tabby leading Mel's character to the girls door.
shana93
02/04/01
Yes, Breakfast at Tiffany's definitely had some EE moments. The orange tabby cat that she just called Cat, and she said it didn't really belong to her. Romancing the Throne was based on "Roman Holiday" which starred Audrey Hepburn so I think they purposely chose an actress that resembled her for that ep. It also starred Gregory Peck who resembled KC in some ways, the thick dark hair and eyebrows especially.
shana93
02/04/01
I just remembered something else from "Angel's Dance". Uncle Vinnie was played by the guy who played Louie in the EE ep "Cat" and the heart recipient in "Snow Angels". The one scene he was in, he was bowling and he looked like he was gonna drop dead of heart failure at any minute. It reminded me of "Snow Angels" so much.
karens608
02/05/01
I only noticed one EE guest star in What Women Want. It was the guy with the curly hair and glasses from Performance Anxiety. In fact, I even checked the credits for his name because I have PA on tape and I wanted to be sure. Who else did you see? I thought that cat looked exactly like Gary's cat and I wonder if in fact it was, because the movie was filmed in Chicago, so maybe they used the same animal trainer.
darbyross
02/05/01
I think the girl that he held the door open for in the coffee shop was the girl who played Anne in Where or When and at the very beginning it shows a group of guys standing outside a building. I'm thinking the camera angle was looking up at the men. Anyway the guy in the middle was the actor who played Andy in Funny Valentine.
shana93
02/05/01
I saw the movie "Rear Window" starring Jimmy Stewart again recently, which was the basis for "Where or When". All I could think of while watching was poor Gary in the wheelchair. :(

There's another scene in "Groundhog Day" where Phil is trying to save this homeless man. It reminded me so much of "Fate". He gets him to the hospital and the old man dies and the nurse says to Phil, "sometimes people just die" and he responds, "not today, they don't". It sounded so much like something Gary would say.
Ren713
02/05/01
"Romancing the Throne" - "Roman Holiday"
"Run, Gary, Run" - "Groundhog Day"
"Where or When" - "Rear Window"
"Fatal Edition" - "The Fugitive"

I also noticed the cat in "What Women Want." Also, the girl that Mel Gibson prevents from killing herself was the ditzy chef that Chuck hired in "Angels and Devils." I keep seeing all these EE extras showing up every where and ever time I do, all I can think is "I want my Kyle!" (God, don't I sound like Rosie O'Donnell with Tom Cruise?)
darbyross
02/05/01
Thank you Ren. I knew I had seen that girl someplace. Usually if I see a familiar face I first think what EE ep have they been on. Since that is about the only thing I watch. LOL.. But for somereason I couldn't place her. Speaking of actresses that might have been on EE.. The other night on the movie Selena. The woman who played her fan club president. Hasn't she been on an EE ep. For the life of me I can't place it. Help :O It has been mentioned before the similarities of Quantum Leap and EE. Last night I watched the Leap Home and it has a scene in a cornfield where he doesn't want to leap anymore and he looks at the sky and cries out I don't want to do this anymore, Do you hear me? He also says howzat and oh boy.
karens608
02/05/01
Dollene, I can definitely relate to thinking that someone look familiar, and thinking that I must recognize them from Early Edition. I don't know about the woman who played Selena's fan club president having been on EE, but Brigatti(Constance Marie) was. Maybe the fan club president was on Quantum Leap. I'm trying to remember what she looked like, but I think she could have been in It's A Wonderful Leap. I had never really noticed that Gary has a tendency to say, "Oh, boy!"(although not as often as Sam), until EE started airing in syndication, and now whenever he says it I think, "Gary's doing his Sam Beckett impersonation again!"
earlydues
02/06/01
///"Run, Gary, Run" - "Groundhog Day" ///

Actually, RGR has been compared more to "Run, Lola, Run" which I haven't seen, but I hear is pretty good.
shana93
02/10/01
Today I saw "The Wedding Planner", which I absolutely hated, but there were some EE moments in it. First it had Kathy Najimy who was the psychic in "The Psychic" and she was going to make Mary (Jennifer Lopez's character) her partner in the business (sound familiar?) :)

Then Steve (Matthew McCaunaghy's character) saves Mary's life by pulling her out of the way of a runaway dumpster. When someone comments later that he's a hero, he says--"it was just right time, right place".

There's another scene at a wedding reception where one of the guests is throwing plates and this woman is running around trying to catch them. It reminded me so much of "Run, Gary Run". :)

Anyway, the EE reminders were the best part of the whole movie. It really stunk. :(
Amy-Kokomo
02/12/01
In yesterday's Sunday Parade Magazine, there was an article about Peri Gilpin who plays Roz Doyle on Frasier. (I've never watched Frasier) In her list of television credits was Early Edition 1996. I didn't recognize her picture and cannot place which episode she was in. Any ideas?
karens608
02/12/01
She was Lenore in After Midnight. I thought it was interesting that yesterday's Parade also had a story on John Spencer from The West Wing, because he appeared in Jenny Sloane.
Amy-Kokomo
02/12/01
Thanks Karen. I still can't place her, but now I know where to look. I saw that article on John Spencer too, but couldn't remember why he looked familiar. You answered 2 questions in one! Take the rest of the day off. :)
karens608
02/12/01
Yeah, I've been watching EE so much that whenever I see a face that I think looks familiar, I figure it must be from an EE episode, but then go nuts when I can't remember which one. :) Can I tell my boss that you gave me permission to take the rest of the day off? :D
Amy-Kokomo
02/12/01
Karen - Sure tell your boss that Amy said to take the rest of the day off. Say you need some *retail therapy*. I'm sure that will make a big impression. :D
shana93
02/12/01
I was at the doctors today and I heard the song "One Fine Day" over the musak. All I could think about was Gary and Brigatti in "Occasionally Amber". Now that song is stuck in my head.
karens608
02/12/01
Shana, One time I was at Wendy's, and I heard "Lollipop" on their muzak(although, would you call vocal music "muzak"?). Guess what I started thinking about?
shana93
02/12/01
LOL Karen, and thank you because now you can imagine what song is stuck in my head. :D I don't know what is officially "muzak". Anything I hear piped through a public place to me is "muzak".
Melodey
02/12/01
I know you guys are gonna laugh at me, but I've watched this show Sponge Bob Sqaure Pants on Nickeloden a few times, (Only because I was really bored and desperate.)and it reminded me of EE. I'm not recommending that anyone watches it, because it was really stupid, just proving that just about anything will remind me of EE. Sponge Bob has a snail named Gary as a pet. It meows and sleeps on a newspaper. Also there is a ditsy character who reminded me of Patrick Quinn. :) If the writer of this show isn't a big fan of EE and was trying to show it, I must be obsessed that I thought.
shana93
02/12/01
ROTFLSHIAPMP!!! Oh Melodey, that is just soooo funny. I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying. I'll have to check out that show now, just to see that. :D :) :D :) :D

Let me just clarify. I'm not laughing at you Melodey. I'm laughing over the pet snail named Gary that meows and sleeps on a newspaper. :D
karens608
02/12/01
Actually, I've been wondering if there'll be any EE related moments in What About Joan(personally, I think Sweet Home Chicago is a much better title), although I would certainly say that having Ron Dean play Kyle's father in an episode would certainly qualify. I think it would be very funny if they were to put in a joke about cats or newspapers, especially since it's filmed in front of an audience that I'm sure has plenty of EE fans in it.
darbyross
02/12/01
What about the movie Always. There is an orange tabby cat that can see the spirit of Richard Dreyfuss's character. Any time I see an orange tabby I think of EE. Like in Fallen. I swear it was the same cat.
Melodey
02/12/01
Shana, I'm glad you thought it was funny. :) I started cracking up when I first made my discovery!
Macredd
02/20/01
Ok, yesterday I watched "Spongebob Squarepants" with my kids and Melodey has to be right. I think my jaw hit the floor. I can't, for the life of me, swallow the idea of coincidence. The snail is hysterical-he's always on the newspaper and there is a sign next to him that says "Gary". Somebody has to be paying homage to EE.
shana93
02/20/01
I've got to catch "Spongebob Squarepants". I keep forgetting about it. When does it come on?

My husband has been on an original Star Trek kick, and the other day he put in an ep called "Spectre of the Gun" in which Capt. Kirk and company end up on this planet in an old west setting and all the townspeople think they are the Clantons and Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday are threatening them. I wasn't paying close attention, but everytime I heard someone call Kirk, Ike Clanton, all I could think of was "Bat Masterson". This is getting sad!
Janet486
02/21/01
Not so much an EE moment but a Chicago moment. It just dawned on me that in The Music Man when Professor Hill asks where he can find a good hotel (he's in River City, Iowa) one of the residents tells him to try the Palmer House in Chicago. Did anybody else notice this?
shana93
02/21/01
I have been watching "Tour of Duty" everyday, patiently waiting for the KC eps, so I can record them. Today, one of the guest stars is the guy who played Dom's father in "Two to Tangle". Also, one of the main characters is called Zeke.
The_shad
02/21/01
qAnother comparison to Early Edition from Star Trek. The doctor on Star Trek: Voyager plays the main doctor in "Faith". If you don't recognize him, he's the one who says Gary can't leave because the hospital has his pants.
Macredd
02/26/01
Hi there. I haven't been here in a while (wooo, a whole week). Shana~ "Tour of Duty" that have Kyle in them begin on the 13th of March. Also, "Spongebob" is on during the week at night sometimes, but my kids watch it on Saturdays at 10:00 and 10:30 EST. And in regards to Melodey's comment about Spongebob's ditzy friend- his name IS Patrick. Too many coincidences.
Macredd
03/09/01
Did anyone else see "One Fine Day" the other night? George Clooney is my first runner-up to Kyle. Anyway, Charles Durning played George's editor at a newspaper, the little girl from "The Choice" played George's daughter, and the guy that gives him an exclusive story was (I'm pretty sure) the editor that gets shot in "The Wall". Talk about an EE moment. And to top it all off, when George brings his daughter into the editor's office he shows her the cat that lives in the office! How did I miss all of this the first time I saw the movie?!!
karens608
03/09/01
I didn't watch the whole movie(I pretty much just flipped over to see commercial breaks), but I also noticed that his daughter's backpack was shaped like a cat, and was even orange!

I don't know if this would qualify as an EE moment, per se, but it was funny, so I'll share it. The other day on Jeopardy, in a category on candy, the question said something about a ship for Shirley Temple, and I knew that the answer they were looking for was "lollipop", which just made me laugh almost uncontrollably. (Gee, I can't imagine why!) ;)
darbyross
03/09/01
Okay, I am watching Spongebob Squarepants. LOL this is as bad and Ren and Stimpy. LOL when the alarm when off and blew his pants off and left him in his briefs I thought I would die laughing. LOL I do have to agree there are a lot of coincidences related to EE. He even stutters and puts his hand to his head. OMG! Gary meows like a cat!!!!LMAO. Uh oh I maybe watching this show from now on.
Chucksgirl63
03/10/01
I was watching ER and there was this sence where Dr. Green met his wife at a dinner and his wife told him that she was getting re-married and Dr. Green was really ticked off... That reminded me of the little sence in, "The Wrong Man" where Marica tells Gary she's getting re-married...
springfever
03/10/01
This actually isn't a TV or movie EE related moment-it a real life related moment-I have my own Kyle and Bernie&Lois! Kyle is my son(no I didn't name him after KC-my son is 12) and I just liked the name Kyle and I didn't even know who KC was back then. And my mother&father-in-law are Bernie& Lois-I think it's kind of funny since I'm so hooked on the show and KC.
karens608
03/10/01
That is too weird! I always got a kick out of the fact that I have a Gary and a Chuck in my family, but you've definitely got me beat on that one! Can you say "Twilight Zone"?
shana93
03/11/01
I'm watching "The Amati Girls" on Fox Family and Robert Picardo just made an appearance as.......yes, a doctor. I yelled, "hey, it's the doctor from "Faith!". Then I realized I was the only one home.
holmes1881
03/11/01
Well, as far as guest stars, everybody and there mother was on Early Edition! As far as similarities, everytime I watch "Hot Time In The Old Town" and "Everybody Goes To Rick's" it always reminds me of Quantum Leap especially EGTR because not only did he go back into the past but he went back as someone else like Sam always does and not only that he saved someone as while he was not himself someone else. Not to mention, when he "leaped" he asked the cat why he was there just like Sam asks Al. Wow! My two favorite shows are so similar!LOL!
Macredd
03/12/01
I was just curious if anyone else caught "That's Life" Saturday night. It's on in EE's old timeslot and I swore I wouldn't watch it, but I've liked Heather Paige Kent since she she was an EE guest. This past week there was a girl who played Paulie's girlfriend and I spent the entire episode trying to place her. I'm pretty sure she was Arnetta Finucci from "Teen Angels". Did anyone else see it? Am I losing it?
karens608
03/12/01
Shana, That's weird that you saw Robert Picardo playing a doctor on "The Amati Girls", because about a week ago I was flipping channels and I saw him playing a doctor on The Golden Girls. I guess he gets typecast as doctors just like Dennis Franz gets typecast as cops.(I heard him say in an interview that he's played a cop something like 30 times.)
karens608
03/12/01
Crystal, Plus in Hot Time in the Old Town, he tells Eleanor, "I think you're why I'm here."
shana93
03/12/01
Karen, I could swear I have seen every ep of "The Golden Girls" and I don't remember Robert Picardo. Do you remember which ep it was? Ya know, I used to think that show was so stupid, then one day I flipped it on and laughed my butt off. Is it a sign that you're getting old when you start to relate to "The Golden Girls"?
karens608
03/12/01
Shana, I didn't see the whole ep,(I just stopped on it when I spotted Robert Picardo), but Dorothy was in the hospital for some sort of operation(on her foot, I think), and she was scared about it until she found out her roommate was in for her second mastectomy and wasn't scared at all. (Her roommate was played by Ann Haney, who played Kyle's mother in the last episode of Tour of Duty. BTW, Kyle's first appearance is scheduled to air tomorrow.)
shana93
03/12/01
Ahhh I remember that ep. I guess I just didn't notice the doctor. Thanks for the reminder about Tour of Duty. I have my tape all ready to go.
earlydues
03/12/01
Speaking of TOD, does anyone know for sure which one(s) of those last group of eps that Kyle does NOT appear in?
Macredd
03/13/01
Kyle doesn't appear in The Road to Long Binh, which airs on Thursday the 15th.
MsSpider
03/14/01
I saw two EE guest stars flipping the channel today. The first was Brigatti in Spin City. The other was the Judge from Pinch Hitters on Different Strokes.
earlydues
03/14/01
Thanks, Suzanne. I thought that was one of them, but wasn't sure if there were more than that.
karens608
03/14/01
I've seen that Spin City episode, and there's one scene in particular where her character reminded me of Brigatti. It's where Mike comes into her office expecting to be able to charm her into going along with whatever he wants, and she tells him something like, "That smile? It's not gonna work."
shana93
03/14/01
I'm watching ABC hoping to record some more WAK commercials and Drew Carey is on and he's calling himself Kyle and riding a motorcycle. Gee, who does that bring to mind? :D
shana93
03/14/01
I watched the new Denis Leary show tonight and hated it, but I thought his partner looked familiar. Well, I turned over to EE and lo and behold, there he was as the detective in "A Minor Miracle".
Ren713
03/15/01
I was watching "The West Wing" last night, and C.J. accidently broke a statue of Bast, the Egyptian cat from "Mum's the Word." TWW also stars John Spencer from "Jenny Sloan" and Joe's wife from "A Regular Joe." the guy who was accussed of embezzeling (sp?) in "The Jury" has also had a guest role on the show. Yes, you can start singing "The Twilight Zone" theme song now.
will18
03/16/01
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Back to the Future! In the second of the Back to the Future movies, Marty looks at a newspaper predicting the future and watches it change.
shana93
03/18/01
During "Touched By An Angel", I saw an ad for a "Family Law" ep where a child shoots his brother and the kid is played by Myles Jeffrey aka Henry Paget. Also, the CBS movie stars Louis Gossett Jr. from "The Medal" and the guy who played the Davises son on Homefront is in it too. I think I relate just about everything back to EE or anything else that KC has been in.
abc981
03/19/01
I was watching an early episode of EE taped from CBS and caught an old commercial for the show "Dave's World". (Anybody remember that show besides me?) Dave's youngest son, Willie, was played by Andrew Ducote, the same kid who played young Gary in "Time".
karens608
03/19/01
It's funny that you mentioned that, Linda, because I discovered that fact just recently when, just out of curiousity, I looked up Andrew's name in a book that's a complete listing of all prime-time TV shows from 1946 to the present. I also spotted him in an episode of Providence on FFC a few weeks ago when I was channel-surfing. (Guys have nothing on me - I'm probably the world's biggest channel-surfer.) :)
marieh274
03/19/01
I was watching That Thing You Do last night and noticed that the guy who owns Playtone Records is the big businessman from Home (was his name Barney - I've gone completely blank) who gives Gary the bar.
rach1121
03/19/01
i luv that movie! i just noticed that last nite that was the same guy too and i was like hes a butt fish here too!
shana93
03/19/01
"Dante's Peak" is on ABC tonight and the guy who played Frank Scanlon--dog with a bone is on the town council. He plays a very similar character as he did on EE.
shana93
03/19/01
Boy these EE extras are showing up everywhere. Tonight on "Gideon's Crossing" the woman who played Nikki's foster mother on "Gifted" made an appearance. It took me awhile to figure out which ep I knew her from though.
karens608
03/20/01
Shana, I saw her, too, and I recognized her from her voice, rather than her face(I've been watching a lot of ABC just to catch commercials for WAJ.) I also saw Henry on Family Law.
springfever
03/20/01
Speaking of Nikki, the "Gifted" girl- she's in the Fox Network show "Grounded For Life" which is on Tuesday nights. She's kind of obnoxious in that show-I don't watch the show regularly but happened to catch an episode one night and saw her.
earlydues
03/23/01
///Tonight on "Gideon's Crossing" the woman who played Nikki's foster mother on "Gifted" made an appearance///

And did she keep looking straight into the camera at inappropriate times in that episode like she did in "Gifted"? LOL!

I was wondering if "Nikki" was the same girl in "Grounded For Life." It's not a show I watch, but I've seen some of the promos. There's also a commercial for... for... oh, what was it??? vacuum cleaners or credit cards or... whatever. Anyhoo, I thought that gal looked like "Nikki" as well. Anyone else know what ad I'm thinking of or am I going crazy? (Don't answer that last part!!)
karens608
03/23/01
earlydues, are you talking about the commercial where the girl sucks up her obnoxious boyfriend in the vacuum cleaner? If that's the one you're thinking of, that girl is blonde, so it wouldn't be Nikki.
earlydues
03/23/01
That is one of the commercials that I was thinking of, but I'm not sure if it's THE one I meant, if that makes any sense. I tell ya, I'm losing my mind!!
darbyross
03/26/01
I just saw a Purina One catfood commercial and they had a little white and orange tabby cat that jumped up on a desk and curled up on a newspaper. It was so cute
karens608
03/27/01
Last night, I saw a commercial for WAJ and the announcer said, "But even with true love, there are no easy answers." I couldn't resist adding, "For a guy who gets tomorrow's newspaper today." LOL!
shana93
03/27/01
LOL Karen. I caught all the ads on tape last night, but I didn't pick up on that. And of all the stupid things, I discovered that I taped the ads last night over top of all the other ads I had already taped. I don't know how this happened, since I never rewound the tape once. Grrr! I wouldn't be so upset about it if I hadn't sat through hours of moronic programs and four hours of Oscar torture.

Oh well, at least the show is airing tonight.
Janet486
03/28/01
While I was home sick yesterday I know I thought of something definite I wanted to post up here from a movie. I forget what it was though. Maybe it'll come to me later.

But, I did notice that Kyle and Mike Landon definitely have one thing in common besides the dark hair. (Kyle's is darker.)

Both Gary and Little Joe scratch their heads, in almost the exact same way, when they're confused. Watch Hoss and the Leprechauns especially. And the "Huh?" is the same except Joe's was higher pitched.
shana93
03/29/01
I flipped over to "Martial Law" tonight (which I've never seen before), and saw Sammo. Plus, this same ep has Tammy Lauren from "Homefront" and the guy who played Sam Cooper in "The Out of Towner". Anyone know if Tammy Lauren was a regular on this show?
abc981
03/29/01
Yes, Tammy was a regular during the first season of ML. I don't think she stayed for the whole season though.
karens608
03/31/01
I was watching Friends last night because it was the one that Fisher was on, and I nearly died laughing when Chandler called him "Sparky"! And to make things more interesting, the episode also featured the obnoxious guy from Blackout as Joey's father.
shana93
04/01/01
Last night at a friends, we watched the movie "The Saint" and Elizabeth Shue played a character named Dr. Emma Russell. There are a few scenes in which I could swear I was watching Emma Shaw from "Phantom at the Opera". The way she spoke and moved her hands, especially in one scene where she is talking about a sculpture. It was so much like Emma Shaw talking about her art. And the fact that they are both named Emma was too weird. I wonder if it is just a coincidence. Has anyone else seen this movie? I'm just wondering if I am really starting to read EE into everything now or if someone else can verify that I'm not imagining it.
shana93
04/15/01
I watched "Deep Impact" tonight and I noticed that Marcia was in it. Ok, so her name was Chloe in the movie, but she dumped her husband in it, so it gave me an EE flashback. What's weird is that I have seen this movie several times and I have it on DVD, but tonight was the first time I realized it was her. How could I not have recognized that mole?
karens608
04/16/01
I was watching this show on the WB last night called For Your Love, and Constance Marie was in it. There was a scene involving a male stripper at a bachelorette party, and someone said that the guy had nice glutes. It immediately made me think of The Iceman Taketh and Occasionally Amber.
MsSpider
04/16/01
I was watching a show on TLC about how people learn to form relationships with other people. They visited a english school where all the kids have uniforms. So it was hard to see the difference in the 'clicks.' The boys had two basic groups, the grunges...skateboarders and stuff like that. The other group's name was the GARYS! They played soccer and other sports.
Amy-Kokomo
04/18/01
Ruben Santiago-Hudson (Emmett) has written and is starring in a play in New York called "Lackawanna Blues" There was a nice review in yesterday's New York Times. Unfortunately, it didn't mention EE. Go to: www.nytimes.com/2001/04/17/arts/17BLUE.html?searchpv=site01. There is also a nice picture of Ruben/Emmett.
shana93
04/23/01
I was just watching "Providence" and Sid's dead mother told her, "You have to live your life". Then FFC showed a promo for a new show, and it stars the little girl who played Amanda in "The Choice" (Mae Whitman?) And earlier, I was channel surfing, and I saw this promo for the news and the guy said, "Get tomorrow's weather today". :D
karens608
04/24/01
On one of the local news shows here in Chicago, they do a segment called "Tomorrow's Headlines Tonight", but they show stories that are going to appear in the next day's Tribune, not Sun-Times.
karens608
04/25/01
On Quantum Leap yesterday, Sam complained to Al that he can't have a life, and he told Al that he wasn't going to save a guy he didn't like.
shana93
04/26/01
I'm watching "Emeril" and he's in Chicago, out on the street asking people why all these cows are out there. One person's answer was that it was to commemorate the fire caused by Mrs. O'Leary's cow. :D I thought it was funny since I watched "Hot Time in the Old Town" tonight. :D

And speaking of cows and EE, I noticed that Mrs. O'Leary's cow was named Daisy, as was the cow on the tracks at the beginning of "Romancing the Throne". Hmmmm, two Frank Scanlons and two Daisies....
shana93
04/29/01
In "U.S. Marshalls", their are two EE guest stars. The guy who played the Uncle of the artist girl in "Play it Again, Sammo", and the man who was Nikki's foster father in "Gifted". (I don't remember their names)
darbyross
04/29/01
Okay, I'm going to make a bit of a reach here LOL. I watched Remember the Titans last night. Excellent movie by the way, but one character was named Gary,I know, big woo. But they played TIME by the Chambers brothers. I was like hey EE!! My brother looked at me like I was nuts. So what's new?
shana93
05/05/01
"NYPD Blue" just came on and I've already spotted two EE characters, Pritchard and Santa from "Christmas".
shana93
05/06/01
Okay, I think I'm really starting to read EE into everything, because my husband turned on "Batman" (the original with Michael Keaton), and when Bruce Wayne was trying to tell Vicky Vail his secret, he was really struggling to get it out. It made me think of Gary trying to explain the paper. :D

They showed an ad for the movie "Angel Eyes" where this guy says, "That cat knows where you live?" LOL He was talking about a man, not a cat, but I still thought of EE.
darbyross
05/06/01
I had the shock of my life tonight. I was watching an old John Wayne movie, Chisum. My mother had heard that Glen Campbell sang in the movie and I told her it was Merle Haggard so I got my tape out so we could watch and about half way through guess who appeared playing a deputy? None other than the guy who plays Lucius Snow. He was very young. The movie was made probably in the early 70s but it was him. I never realized that before tonight.
karens608
05/07/01
I happened to spot Santa in that episode of NYPD Blue while I was flipping channels, but I didn't spot Pritchard. In fact, I was spotting a lot of EE guest stars this weekend. I saw Tess Harper in Tender Mercies(a movie from '83 that starred Robert Duvall), I saw Meredith on The Outer Limits(I almost didn't recognize her with very short hair), and I saw Robert Donner's name(Lucius Snow)in the credits of Cool Hand Luke. God, I do waaay too much channel surfing, don't I?
Amy-Kokomo
05/07/01
This weekend I spotted an actress from EE in a Milk of Magnesia commercial. Remember the lady who was Crumb's girlfriend but turned out to be a thief and a murderer? Crumb was so sure she wouldn't shoot him in the parking garage. Maybe after she spent her time in prison, she needed a good dose of Milk of Magnesia

P. S. She also played a murderer in Diagnosis Murder. She and Mark Sloan were a couple in that eppy.

Janet486
05/11/01
Has anybody mentioned that Chicago is the subject of a song in Calamity Jane starring Doris Day and Howard Keel? (Windy City)And that part of the story takes place in Chicago (not much but a little)?

Also, the guy who played Louie in The Cat was in a movie on the Fox Family Channel Wednesday night. I don't remember the name of it. It starred Daniel Stern and he was under cover as a Scoutmaster.

Luis Ramon Antonio (Miguel Diaz) was in The Huntress last week. I don't watch this show all the time so I don't know if he's a regular or not.
karens608
05/11/01
//Luis Ramon Antonio (Miguel Diaz) was in The Huntress last week. I don't watch this show all the time so I don't know if he's a regular or not.//

Actually, his name is Luis Antonio Ramos, and he is a regular on the show. I've only seen a couple episodes, but to me, it seems like he's still Miguel, just in a different profession (which isn't a bad thing, IMO.)
abc981
05/11/01
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned but Pritchard was on one of the CSI episodes last night. (one of my husband's shows) He said his character is a jerk on CSI too! I think it may be a recurring role--he works with the CSI people but in a different department.
karens608
05/11/01
I think it is a recurring role. Someone mentioned a while ago that he had been on, so if I think about it, I'll check the guest cast at the beginning to see if he's on again. He definitely does seem to be a Pritchard-like character on this show.
Janet486
05/11/01
Well, you knew what I was trying to say anyway Karen. Thanks for straightening me out. I didn't have his name in front of me when I posted it.

I just happened to be "channel surfing" looking for something to watch when I ran across him. The same with the guy who played Louie on in The Cat. I got bored with what was on and found him in that stupid movie.

And I liked Miguel. He was a little flaky but he was good.
karens608
05/11/01
Yeah, I liked Miguel, too, although the idea of an aspiring reporter(and someone who works for the Sun-Times, no less)being curious about how Gary always manages to be at the scene of fires, bombings, hostage situations, etc., is a little scary, but I'm sure that was the intention. You know - introduce a character who's determined to find out what Gary's secret is to add a little intrigue.
Macredd
05/12/01
The guy that played Pritchard is cast as the CSI that heads the day shift, if I'm not mistaken. And lastnight as I was channel surfing, I saw the actress that played Molly on EE in an ep of Diagnosis Murder. My husband mocks me so badly for watching that show, but I've loved Mr Van Dyke since I was a little girl.
shana93
05/12/01
Don't feel bad, Suzanne. I love Mr Van Dyke too and I always tuned into "Diagnosis Murder" at ten on PAX until EE started airing on FFC. Funny this came up, because someone mentioned an EE character (Crumb's girlfriend) that showed up on a milk of magnesia commercial. Well, I remember her as a regular from "Matlock" for a few seasons (she played his daughter), but I was a little afraid to admit I watched that show. But since I'm confessing here, I might as well admit that I also tuned into "Murder, She Wrote" on occasion.
rach1121
05/12/01
i just saw the mummy returns tonight (awesome movie!!) at the begining though(i mised the first 15 mins or so)thier son was just sittin on this platform while these evil guys are about to attack him but his parents are here finding an egyptian artifact when thier kid about to get killed(it was only up to that point though; i dont want to give it all away!) but brenden fraiser's(i forgot the name of his character) brother in law reminded me so much of chuck it was scary!! when hes literally hanging a life line he tries to get a diamond stuck on the pyramid. (theyre like 50 other things in the movie though. if u like action movies go see it!! it was really good!!) ;)
shana93
05/13/01
I was channel surfing today, and I stopped on this movie with Scott Baio (who I still think of as Chachi). :D Anyway, he was getting married, and the bride's maiden name was Chandler. Then it flashes to eleven months later, and it shows the two of them in bed together talking about their upcoming anniversary and how she said after a year of marriage they would talk about starting a family. Well, when he brought up having children, she got angry and told him she NEVER wanted children. Then she blows him off on their anniversary. Hmmm, shades of Marcia?
Janet486
05/14/01
Saw the guy who played "Miguel Diaz" in an episode of Law & Order this weekend. Didn't see the whole episode because I was watching my beloved Red Sox.

However, you almost had to look twice because he had a beard and a moustache. It was his voice and his eyes that I recognized first.
karens608
05/14/01
He must have done more than one episode, because I saw him in one where he was clean-shaven. It's interesting what you said about recognizing his voice and his eyes. I was watching the second half of The District Saturday night(I missed the first half because the cable was out), and I saw a woman that I immediately recognized as Meredith from her voice because she looked very different with a very short hair cut.

I also saw Constance Marie on For Your Love(I think she's a recurring character), and she and some of the other characters went salsa dancing in the hopes that it would get a character who was nine months pregnant to go into labor. Salsa dancing immediately reminds me of The Wrong Man, although I sure can't picture either Gary or Pritchard doing it.
abc981
05/14/01
//and I saw a woman that I immediately recognized as Meredith from her voice because she looked very different with a very short hair cut.//

I recognized her on an Outer Limits episode the same way recently, I heard the familiar voice then realized who it was. She had very short hair on that one too.

Somebody mentioned that Marcia was in Deep Impact on TV a couple weeks ago. I recognized her by voice too--I was half asleep on the couch while my husband was watching the movie but I knew that voice!
karens608
05/14/01
I had a similar experience while watching CSI the other night. I knew that Pritchard was supposed to be on, but I was only half paying attention(I think I was reading the paper), but I heard his voice and recognized it immediately. Boy, how obsess...uh, focused are we, that we can recognize EE guest stars by their voices?
Janet486
05/14/01
Maybe that's why Pritchard threw his back out and Gary wrenched his knee? Because neither of them is any good at Salsa dancing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Luis did more than one episode of Law & Order. Lots of people make appearances more than once and not always as the same character.

Chris Noth of Law & Order (originally) was in an episode of Touched By An Angel.

Jerry Orbach was in Murder, She Wrote (same character though) and got a spin-off series from it.

At least Hollywood doesn't use Italians and non-latins to plays latins and Native Americans any more. Martin Landau, who was in that movie that Kyle appeared in that was on WE recently, played a lot of Mexicans during the 50s. I think Jay Silverheels was an exception to the non-Native playing Native Americans.

Personally, I like the character of Miguel even though I could strangle him sometimes. But I'd probably have to beat Laura to it now wouldn't I? Or maybe it's Gary I'd have to beat to it.
karens608
05/14/01
//Maybe that's why Pritchard threw his back out and Gary wrenched his knee? Because neither of them is any good at Salsa dancing.//

Constance Marie, on the other hand, really looked like she knew what she was doing.

/At least Hollywood doesn't use Italians and non-latins to plays latins and Native Americans any more./

I think they did just the opposite in casting Constance Marie, because judging from other roles I've seen her in, I think she's Latina. (Either that or she *is* an Italian who frequently gets cast as a Latina.)
shana93
05/14/01
In a rerun of "X-Files" tonight, the old guy from "Walk, Don't Run" (the one that takes Gary's place as city supervisor) is playing an alien. I didn't even recognize him at first, but my husband did and pointed him out.
chuck-n-gary
05/14/01
The Blues Brothers was on tv today and I saw a bridge that looked like the one from March in Time. And of course you see the El several times in the movie (I kept looking for Gary)
karens608
05/15/01
Last night, I was watching my favorite episode of Quantum Leap, The Leap Home Part 1, and for some reason I really can't explain, it really reminded me of EE. There's one scene in particular where Sam looks up to the sky and yells that he doesn't want to do this(leap) anymore, and that scene definitely reminds me of the scene in The Paper when Gary chucks the paper off the roof of the Blackstone and yells that he doesn't want it anymore.
karens608
05/19/01
I was watching Three Men and a Baby today, and there was a police detective whose voice sounded very familiar. Being the obsessed...uh, focused EE fan that I am, I figured he probably appeared on EE, but I was going nuts trying to figure out which one. Then it hit me - Bat Masterson! I don't know the actor's name, and TBS squashed the credits so much I couldn't have read them even if I wanted to, but I know I'm right.
chuck-n-gary
05/19/01
There's a new Nextel Wireless (or something like that) commercial which starts out with a guy reclining in a chair and the phone rings and when he says, "Hello?" the person on the other end of the line yells, "HOBSON!!" As if that weren't enough, the next shot in the commercial is of a cat drinking the milk out of 'Hobson's' cereal bowl.
Newf65
05/20/01
We watched "Amadeus" last night. In the opening scene, Salieri screams, then yells something unintelligible...his servants run to his room...and much to my surprise, an orange cat is outside the room, while Salieri attempts suicide...
Janet486
05/21/01
The guy who played Han in Play It Again Sammo was in Friday night's episode of JAG on USA.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0110.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com