EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Songs actually used in EE

Author
05/24/01
Adding in the songs mentioned in the other Soundtrack thread to what I already had, this is the list that I've been able to come up with so far for songs that have actually been used on EE. There must be a bunch more that we're all missing because these only cover about 1/3 of the eps. Keep an ear out! :)

=====

**Blackout - - unknown opera music at hospital just when the generator runs out of gas

**A Bris is Just A Bris - - Unknown opera music that Tony plays very loudly in the kitchen

A Bris is Just A Bris - - "Habanera" from Bizet's Carmen (while Tony is at library with Abby)

A Bris is Just A Bris - - "I Wanna Be Around" performed by Tony Bennett

Bat Masterson - - "Bat Masterson" theme by B. Cordin and H. Wray

Bat Masterson - - "Bonanza" theme

The Choice - - "Money - That's What I Want" by The Beatles

**Christmas - - "White Christmas" by Rosemary Clooney??

Christmas - - "Jingle Bells" - standard

Christmas - - "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" - standard

Christmas - - "Sleigh Ride" - standard

**Christmas -- unknown: while Gary and Chuck at diner; teddy bear at department store; at McGinty's - Christmas song with a country western flavor; in car with Santa and Chuck

**Crumb Again - - Crumb "sings" a Navy marching chant

Everybody Goes to Rick's - - "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" sung by the character of "Ginger"

Everybody Goes to Rick's - - "Someone To Watch Over Me" sung by unknown woman

Everybody Goes to Rick's - - "Sweet Georgia Brown" piano instrumental

Fate - - "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan

Funny Valentine - - "When I Fall in Love" sung by Marissa

Funny Valentine - - "L-O-V-E Love" performed by Nat King Cole

Funny Valentine - - "You Go To My Head" by Louis Armstrong

Funny Valentine - - "My Girl" sung by Emmett

Funny Valentine - - "Strangers In The Night" sung by Patrick

Gun - - "Hold on Loosely" by .38 Special

Halloween - - "Kind and Generous" by Natalie Merchant

Hot Time in the Old Town - - "Mountain Dew," a traditional Irish folk song, sung by the character of Mrs. O'Leary

Hot Time in the Old Town - - "The Twilight Zone"
Hot Time in the Old Town - - "Danny Boy" ("Londonderrry Air") a traditional Irish folk song sung by Marissa

**The Iceman Taketh - - while dancing ???

The Jury - - "Y.M.C.A." sung by Chuck

The Last Untouchable - - "I Can't Get Started With You" performed by unknown artist, possibly Bunny Berrigan

**The Last Untouchable - - unknown music at end - sounds like "Happy Days Are Here Again" but it's not.

Love is Blind - - "Rescue Me" performed by Fontella Bass

**Love is Blind - - Instrumental music playing while Marissa fixing dinner at her apartment -- unknown title/performer

Mel Schwartz, Bounty Hunter - - "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood

**Number One With a Bullet - - Unknown songs by Coolio and unknown choir tunes sung by Marissa

Occasionally Amber - - "One Fine Day" by The Chiffons

Occasionally Amber - - "My Cherie Amour" by Stevie Wonder sung along to by Chuck

Occasionally Amber - - "Top Hat, White Tie, and Tails" from "Top Hat" sung by Chuck

Occasionally Amber - - "Get Me To The Church On Time" sung by Chuck

Performance Anxiety - - "What a Wonderful World" performed by Louis Armstrong

**Phantom at the Opera - - "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's Turandot performed by unknown artist

Pinch Hitters - - "It's a Long, Long Way to Tipperary, sung by the character of Walter Stites

Play It Again, Sammo - - "Wild Angels" by Martina McBride

Play It Again, Sammo - - "Broken Wing" by Martina McBride

**Redfellas - - "Concerto in A Minor" (?? - that's the name given in the episode, anyway) by Dmitri Shostakovich

**Romancing the Throne - - the Conga tune on the jukebox - unknown title/artist

**Run, Gary, Run - - Greek music at restaurant ???

Saint Nick - - "We Are Marching" performed by the Children's Choir

Saint Nick - - "Strawberry Fields Forever" sung in a dolphin-like way by Patrick

**Saint Nick - - Opera music -- unknown

Slippity-Doo-Dah - - "Oh Happy Day" sung by the choir

**Slippity-Doo-Dah - - unknown music at strip club

Theme (Season 4) - - "Time Has Come Today" by Chambers Brothers

Time - - "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie" performed by A Taste of Honey

Weathergirl - - "If I Were A Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof, sung by the character of Uncle Phil

Where or When - - "Where or When" performed by unknown artist, possibly Peggy Lee but probably not

**Where or When - - music during flashback scenes

Wild Card - - "Hello, Mary Lou" sung by Gary

**Wild Card - - music at the Rave ??
Janet486
04/25/01
Early Dues:Where or When most definitely was not sung by Peggy Lee. The reason I'm so sure is because Peggy Lee was the voice of "Peg" in Lady and the Tramp. Her voice is much huskier than that woman's was. Unfortunately I don't know who it was.

And Gary only attempted to sing Hello, Mary Lou which was a Ricky Nelson hit. He messed up the words. Nice try to gain admission to the party though. And what quick thinking on Patrick's part to try and pass himself and Gary off as Ozzie and Ricky Nelson! His brain was functioning on all gears with that one!
karens608
04/25/01
In Play it Again, Sammo, when Gary and Sammo are talking to Amy, there's a Martina McBride song playing in the background, but I don't remember which one. And in Time, Gary sees a guy dancing(and I use the term loosely)at the jukebox, and I think the song that's playing is "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie." I didn't remember Emmett singing in Just One of Those Things, but I haven't seen it in a while; I'll have to pull out my tape and check it out.
Janet486
04/25/01
I don't remember Emmet singing either. In either of his two appearances. I did get a kick out how he couldn't explain what was happening in Funny Valentine (the end with all the kissing) but would have to demonstrate. Talk about taking advantage of the situation. I think that's one time Marissa didn't mind!

emmett was so cool! #1 Cubs fan on the planet or in the universe?
shana93
04/25/01
Again there's "Rescue Me" from "Love is Blind" and from the same ep, there's an instrumental piece that Marissa plays in her apartment when she's getting ready for her date.
earlydues
04/25/01
Janet wrote:
//Where or When most definitely was not sung by Peggy Lee//

I thought it probably wasn't Peggy Lee, but her voice was the closest I could find. I wish they'd list the music credits during the show! I usually go to cdnow.com, search for the song, and then listen to whichever ones have audio clips attached to them. Comes in darned handy!

//And Gary only attempted to sing Hello, Mary Lou //

Hey, it still counts! :)

karens608 wrote:
//Gary and Sammo are talking to Amy, there's a Martina McBride song playing in the background//

Okay, so who's up for some research? ;)

//And in Time...the song that's playing is "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie"//

Ooh, more research! IIRC, the era of "young Gary" would have been 1976. Could that be "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie" by A Taste of Honey?

//I didn't remember Emmett singing in Just One of Those Things//

Oops, I think that episode was Funny Valentine instead of JOOTT. He sings while driving the cab.

shana wrote:
//Again there's "Rescue Me" from "Love is Blind"//

Ahh! Why do I keep forgetting that one? It's one of the more obvious songs in the entire series. Janet, you're an oldies guru -- would that version of "Rescue Me" be from Fontella Bass?

I've edited the list in the first post to correct/add all of these. Anyone know what the instrumental in LIB was?
karens608
04/26/01
EE research, huh? It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it, right? ;) I don't have all the episodes on tape, but I do have PIAS and Time, so I could check on those.
shana93
04/26/01
I just thought of another, the song the children's choir is singing at the hospital in "Saint Nick". I don't know what it's called, but it's something about "marching in the light of God".
Janet486
04/26/01
You're beginning to sound like some of my co-workers who consider me the fount of all information. If anyone doesn't know the answer to something they always come to me. We had an in-house tournament of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire and I got drafted by my boss to be on the team. We got to the quarter finals or maybe it was the semi-finals before we were elminated. One of the questions I answered for them was that New Mexico is the "Land of Enchantment". But, yes, Earlydues, Fontella Bass is the one who is singing "Rescue Me" in the teaser for Love Is Blind.

I didn't recognize the instrumental piece Marissa played though. I'm not big on instrumentals unless they were written that way.
shana93
04/26/01
We forgot that little song from "Hot Time..." that Mrs. O'Leary sings when she's milking Daisy.
earlydues
04/26/01
//I don't know what it's called, but it's something about "marching in the light of God".//

Ooh, ooh! One that I find myself singing all the time, and I forgot it! That one is "We Are Marching," a South African song. And the only reason I know this is because the choir at church were singing it one day (number 512 in the "Gather Comprehensive" book, LOL!) This was part of the weekend where I couldn't turn around without seeing or hearing an EE reference.

//We forgot that little song from "Hot Time..." that Mrs. O'Leary sings when she's milking Daisy.//

Ooh, ooh, again!! "Mountain Dew"! Boy, Shana, you're on a roll here!

Thanks for the confirmation on "Rescue Me," Janet!

And I can't wait to see what karen's research turns up. :)
darbyross
04/26/01
What about the Christmas music used in the Christmas ep? Wasn't White christmas played at the very end? and then at the skating rink there was music being played. I'm thinking jingle bells?
Candii
04/260/1
How about the theme from the Twilight Zone at the very end of Hot Time? It was only a little piece but I still think of EE whenever I hear it. :D
karens608
04/27/01
Well, earlydues, it turns out I was wrong about what scene in Play it Again Sammo had a Martina McBride song playing in the background. It wasn't the scene where Gary and Sammo were talking to Amy; it was the scene where Sammo was asking Gary about Han. But, anyway, the song was "Broken Wing". And the song on the jukebox in Time was definitely "Boogie Oogie Oogie" and A Taste of Honey sounds right for the name of the group.
shana93
04/27/01
We forgot the music from "The Iceman Taketh". Gary dancing with Brigatti on the boat, and with Amber at the ball. I can't remember what the music was now, but there had to be some, right? Darn, I'll have to go check my tape and see if I recognize it. To quote the episode in question, "Tough duty!" ;) Did I get that right, Karen?
kares608
04/27/01
Yeah, I guess I've made it pretty clear how much I like Brigatti and this episode in particular, huh? ;) I think I would still have to say that Fate is my favorite; The Iceman Taketh would probably be second or third(can't decide between that and Time).
Chucksgirl63
04/27/01
*screams* AHHHHHHHHHH!! Chuck sings in Occasionally Amber?!?!?!? OMG! I need that epsiode! I haven't gotten it on tape yet!!! Anybody know where I can look up when the epsiodes are showing? The schedule they have on here is not up to date since they took ee off the air. Up here in Maine, they're showing it on Fridays.. I can't believe Chuck sings! AHH!!! OMG!!! AHHHHHHH!!!
Candii
04/27/01
Chucksgirl63, yes he sang in OA and he also sang in the shower in the episode, The Jury the song YMCA by the Village People. So funny!
shana93
04/27/01
Chucksgirl, I don't want to send you completely over the edge, but he also appears shirtless in a couple of eps, "Frostbit" and "Where or When". If you go to Clicktv.com and do a search by your zipcode with the keyword "Fisher Stevens", it'll tell you everything's that's coming on that he's in.
shana93
04/27/01
Okay, I'm watching "The Iceman Taketh" now (research, you know) ;), and all the music is instrumental. I don't recognize any specific tune though. /shrug/
shana93
04/27/01
And all the Greek music in "Run, Gary, Run." Boy, I really am on a roll. :D
earlydues
04/27/01
Wow, you guys are doing great! :)

In "Christmas" there was also something playing at the very beginning while they were surrounding Santa on the rooftop. I want to say that was "Jingle Bells" too, but I'm not sure.

Chucksgirl screamed:
///AHHHHHHHHHH!! Chuck sings in Occasionally Amber?!?!?!? OMG!///

LOL! Not the entire songs, of course, but enough to whet your appetite. If you *really* want to hear Fisher singing, be sure to check out the 1994 Broadway Cast Recording of "Carousel" soundtrack. He does "Blow High, Blow Low" and "Stonecutters Cut It on Stone" -- Wheeeeee!!

Okay, I've updated the list in the first post again. It's now in alpha order with double asterisks to mark the ones that still need research. (Tough duty, I know.)

This will be great to have a comprehensive list. If TPTB won't deign to provide us with a soundtrack CD, we can make our own.

shana93
04/27/01
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Patrick singing "Strangers in the Night" from "Funny Valentine". And did he sing "My Way"? I think I may have been the one who mentioned that song, but I had it confused with "Strangers in the Night". It doesn't take much to confuse me. Also, in "Saint Nick", we got a brief chorus of "Strawberry Fields", dolphin style from Patrick. I don't know if that one counts or not.

There's also the songs sung by the choir in "Slippity Doo Dah" and the music playing in the strip club in that same ep. More research. :D

The choir song in SDD is "Oh Happy Day".
shana93
04/28/01
Okay, I watched "Christmas" today and here's what I have for music in that ep. The opening scene is set to "Deck the Halls". Then there's a little holiday sounding ditty playing when Chuck and Gary are in the diner. I don't know what it was, but it did sound familiar. At the skating rink, they're playing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "Sleigh Ride", both have a choir sound to them. The bear at the department store plays a little tune that, again, sounded familiar. In McGinty's, there's a Christmas song playing that has a country western flavor to it, but I didn't know it, and another one is playing in the car with Santa and Chuck. "Jingle Bells" plays during a few scenes and at the end when Gary is in his hotel room, the song "White Christmas" is sung by a female. I'm guessing here, but it sounds like Rosemary Clooney.
earlydues
04/29/01
Boy, shana, you're really keeping me busy! :) I think you're right about that ep being Funny Valentine instead of JOOTT. Yes, dolpins or not, it counts. LOL!

Also from Saint Nick, we've missed the obvious one -- whatever that was at the opera. "She's singin'. I'm dyin'."
Chucksgirl63
04/29/01
OMG! Why didn't anyone tell me Chuck sung in Occasionally Amber?!?!? I've never gotten the episode of tape but when it use to be on I would watch it. Agh! Now I can't hear my sweetie sing since, 1. I dodn't have it on tape (duh) and they're not showing ee anymore. Agh! The what heck!!! Ahh! But when I saw on the list that he sings in the episode I started freaking out I was so excited!!
Chucksgirl63
04/29/01
I was scrolling through the messages on this topic and I saw that one person saw my message. I posted another one because, when I went to post the one from yesterday I got an error, so I figured it never got on the board but it did. Just wanted to let everyone know since I have the same one posted.
darbyross
04/29/01
Wasn't the theme from Bonanza playing when "Bat" was riding the horse to stop the thief?
Candii
04/29/01
Dollene, that would be a yes. I just watched that episode yesterday. I loved Bat Masterson!
earlydues
04/29/01
It was indeed! Good ear. :)
shana93
04/30/01
In "Where or When", there was also the music Daria and the others were swing dancing too in the flashback scenes, plus whatever she and Gary danced too in his dream. More research, I suppose /heavy sigh/
shana93
04/30/01
In "Wild Card" there was also the music playing at the Rave. :)

I'm positive that "White Christmas" was sung by a female, not Bing Crosby. I'm thinking it was Rosemary Clooney.
earlydues
05/01/01
///I'm positive that "White Christmas" was sung by a female, not Bing Crosby. I'm thinking it was Rosemary Clooney///

Oops, you mentioned that before, didn't you? I've now changed it to RC and added in notes about the other eps you mentioned.

shana93
05/01/01
Earlydues, you've really started something here. LOL I can't watch an ep now without listening carefully for any music. It's become a quest.
shana93
05/01/01
In "Crumb Again", Crumb sings that navy song, or is it more like a chant? I'm copying that ep for someone and they just showed an ad for the 25 days of Christmas. I just had a nightmare flashback from that.
earlydues
05/02/01
Hmmm.... it could be considered a song for marching, right? Anyone know the words to what he's singing?
shana93
05/06/01
We forgot the opera music that Tony is playing very loudly in the kitchen in "A Bris is Just a Bris". :D That ep is playing today on the local CBS affiliate. Of course, since I don't know opera, I have no idea what it is, but it's one of the more well-known ones. And there's also opera music playing when Tony first goes to ask Abby out at the library. And when Gary finds Tony at the other bar, a Sinatra song is playing. I don't know the title but the words were, "I want to be around to pick up the pieces when somebody breaks your heart".
earlydues
05/06/01
Thanks again, Shana! I don't remember what the opera songs were, but by your lyrics, the Sinatra one is "I Wanna Be Around." Was it actually Sinatra, could you tell? I think Tony Bennett also had a hit with that song.

I actually remembered one more of my own the other day -- It's a Long Long Way to Tipperary from Pinch Hitters.
darbyross
05/07/01
Early Dues you are correct. It's Tony Bennett singing that song.
shana93
05/07/01
I watched it again at 12:35am and realized it was Tony Bennett. Thanks guys.
shana93
05/07/01
Earlydues, your comment about the song from "Pinch Hitters" reminded me of Uncle Phil and those Jewish songs he kept annoying everyone with in "Weathergirl".
darbyross
05/07/01
Wasn't that a song from Fiddler on the Roof? I can't think of the song now but at the time I remember thinking that. Of course I could be thinking of something totally different.
karens608
05/07/01
Dollene, I'm pretty sure I remember him singing "If I Were a Rich Man", which is definitely from "Fiddler on the Roof".
chuck-n-gary
05/07/01
The music playing while Tony is in the library with Abby is from Carmen by Bizet. I think it's from the movement called Habanera (That idiot's guide to Classical Music sure comes in handy!)
deb_515
05/07/01
I thought that song was from Carmen!!! There has only been one opera I have ever seen and Carmen was it! I went a few years ago with my French class. Ever since I heard it last night, its been stuck in my head. I know this has nothing to do with the music but on the news just now they had Tomorrow's Headlines Tonight!
earlydues
05/08/01
Whee!!! This is going to be one mighty fine comprehensive list once we're done. :D
karens608
05/08/01
earlydues, I just bought the 1994 Broadway cast recording of Carousel, and all I can say is - Oh, my, God! I've been listening to it in the car, and when I got to "Blow High, Blow Low" and "Stonecutters Cut It on Stone" I just couldn't stop laughing! :D I just hope no one looked over at me and wondered what is this woman's problem!
shana93
05/15/01
Earlydues, I don't know what that little tune was that was playing at the end of "The Last Untouchable", but it caught my ear. It reminded me of "Happy Days are Here Again", but that wasn't it. There was probably more music in that ep, but I wasn't paying close attention. I was still gushing over WAK.
earlydues
05/19/01
Thanks, Shana. I thought it was familiar, too, but I'm not sure what it was either.
earlydues
05/22/01
Dang, missed the beginning of "Funny Valentine" - I think that's the part of the show where Emmett sings a bit of "My Girl" in the cab. I did hear Patrick singing "Strangers in the Night" but did *not* hear him singing "My Way." Anyone else pay close enough attention to catch either My Girl or My Way?

I did hear the rest of the songs we had listed.
chuck-n-gary
05/22/01
I definitely saw Emmett singing "My Girl" but I'm not sure if I ever heard "My Way" in the ep.
karens608
05/23/01
I didn't hear My Way, but Patrick definitely sang Strangers in the Night. BTW, did anyone mention the song that Marissa and Emmett were dancing to while Patrick was putting up the chairs? It sounded like Louie Armstrong(assuming I'm correct that he's the one who sings "What a Wonderful World", because it certainly sounds like the same voice), but I don't know the song.

Oops, never mind! I just went back and checked earlydues' first post in this category, and there it was: You Go to My Head by Louis Armstrong. :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0111.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com