EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Big name actors

Author
05/17/01
I think the quality and high calibre content of Early Edition is reflected in the number of well-known actors and actresses that have appeared as guest stars in various episodes. (I pointed this out in one of my letters to FFC. I'm sure they were quite impressed. :)) For example:

Joseph Campinello
Ernest Borgnine
Tom Bosley
Marian Ross
Tara Lipinski
Martina McBride
Roger Ebert
Red Buttons

I know there are more, but my brain is fading
shana93
05/17/01
That's so true, Amy. And a good idea to point out to FFC. There's also:
Robert Picardo
Louis Gossett Jr
Nia Peeples
Rod Sterling
Anna Chlumsky
Sammo
Coolio
And like it or not, the Spawn is actually well known.

I think there are more, but that's all I could think of for now.
Janet486
05/17/01
Ok, Amy, now you've got me going.

First of all the man who played McGruder is Joseph Campanella. You had the right idea but the wrong spelling.

The others that I come up with and I'm naming their parts as well if I can remember them are:

Kevin Dobson - the White Supremacist leader in March in Time. Played in Kojak in the 70s

George Murdoch - played the "retired" City Councillor that took over for Gary in Walk, Don't Run. Has played in many things.

John Rubenstein - the doctor in The Choice. Played in Crazy Like A Fox with Jack Warden.

Michael Nouri - the con man in Nest Egg. I'm sure he's been in a lot of things but I don't know what off the top of my head.

Ian Ogilvy - Clive in Show Me The Monet - played Simon Templar aka The Saint in the 70s in Return of the Saint.

Josef Summers - Dobbs/Marley in The Wall. Members of the board have spotted him in other things. Mostly movies.

Alex Rocco - Barney Kaddison in Home. Among other things played Nancy McKeon's dad in Facts of Life.

Joan McMurtrey - Barbara Feinstein in Bat Masterson played Lt. Abigail Marsh in Simon & Simon.

Kevin McCarthy - the judge in The Jury has played in many things.

Louis Gossett, Jr. - Jim Matthew in The Medal. Has played in movies & television.

Nia Peeples - the nun (I forgot her name) in Angels and Devils. Currently plays Ranger Sydney Cooke in Walker, Texas Ranger. Has apparently been around for a while and has recorded several albums.

George Takei - Mr. Lee in Blackout. Trekkies know him as Lt. Sulu in the 60s series and subsequent movies.

Jason Brooks - Nick on Saint Nick. Currently plays Sean Monroe on Baywatch Hawaii. Also plays in a soap but don't ask me which one 'cause I don't watch 'em.

Coolio - ok he's a singer but he's still well known in some circles.

Sammo ? - Sammo Law in Play It Again Sammo. Played Sammo Law in Martial Law.

Hopefully I didn't miss anybody.
Amy-Kokomo
05/17/01
Janet said:
//Ok, Amy, now you've got me going.//

LOL, I knew I would!!

//Michael Nouri - the con man in Nest Egg. I'm sure he's been in a lot of things but I don't know what off the top of my head.//

Flashdance. Movie with Jennifer Beals, staged in steel mill part of Pittsburgh. Really sexy in that one. Has gained some pounds since then. (But, then, who hasn't?)

BTW - Good morning Shana. Nice to see you sooooo early!
karens608
05/17/01
//Kevin Dobson - the White Supremacist leader in March in Time. Played in Kojak in the 70s//

He also starred in Knots Landing, didn't he? I think that's kind of interesting because William Devane also starred on that show. D'oh! How could we forget William Devane as a well-known actor who's appeared on EE?

//John Rubenstein - the doctor in The Choice. Played in Crazy Like A Fox with Jack Warden.//

I'll never forget how surprised I was to see him when I saw The Choice on the network because I remembered him from Crazy Like a Fox, but he had had dark curly when that show was on.

I don't know if you'd consider him that well-known, but Scott Bryce, who played Trotter/Sullivan in Hot Time in the Old Town, was on As The World Turns for a number of years in the '80s.

Oh, and what about Charles Durning, who was the psychiatrist in Gary's dream in A Regular Joe, and Judge Romick in Time. I know he was in Burt Reynolds' show, Evening Shade, but I'm not sure what else he's done.
shana93
05/17/01
//I don't know if you'd consider him that well-known, but Scott Bryce, who played Trotter/Sullivan in Hot Time in the Old Town, was on As The World Turns for a number of years in the '80s.//

IIRC, he also played Jo's (Nancy McKeon's) fiance in "Facts of Life". Hmm, two connections to that show.

I forgot about George Takei. Duh! /slaps forehead/

Also, Tess Harper is fairly well known from "Christy" and other stuff. I remember her from and 80's tv movie in which her little girl was kidnapped (or something bad happened too her). I'm lucky to remember that much. :D

And there's Ron Dean, who's been in a lot of stuff, but I loved him as the football coach from "Rudy" and a detective from the Harrison Ford movie version of "The Fugitive". :)

Good morning, Amy! Yes I have been getting up earlier this week. You can guess why. :)
karens608
05/17/01
//IIRC, he also played Jo's (Nancy McKeon's) fiance in "Facts of Life".//

Yes, he did, and he also played Corky's husband on Murphy Brown.

I was just wondering why they never had any Chicago sports stars on EE. IIRC, Cheers had a couple of Boston sport stars appear on the show, and that wasn't filmed in Boston.
Janet486
05/17/01
We all forgot Tess Harper. A few years ago she was playing Fairlight Spencer on Christy. Also a CBS show I believe.

And wasn't it stupid of us to forget William Devane.

I was going to put Charles Durning down but I forgot and I couldn't remember his name.

Shana, what a pleasant surprise to hear from you sooooooooo early!

(I wasn't going to say anything but since Amy did I figure that left the door open.)
karens608
05/17/01
Well, I wasn't sure if you could consider Tess well-known, although I did recently discover that she starred in the movie Tender Mercies with Robert Duvall.

I wouldn't consider them actors per se, but **** Butkus and Pat O'Brien are well-known personalities, and they appeared in A Regular Joe. (I realized right after I typed it that Mr. Butkus' first name would appear as asterisks. :) I saw, though, that Yahoo groups doesn't have a problem with it. I wonder why?)
shana93
05/17/01
What about Fyvush Finkel (sp?) (Uncle Phil). He's pretty well known from "Picket Fences" (I think he even won an Emmy for that role) and he was recently in "Boston Public". I never watched that show, just saw him in ads. I haven't seen him in recent ads, so I don't think he's still on it.

I don't know his real name, so he's probably not that well-known, but the guy who played the mayor in TSMD was Willie the dad in "Alf" :D and I believe he has a current role in "Norm" (if that show's still on--I don't know, I don't watch it).

Grrr! I keep making stupid mistakes in my posts and have to keep editing them. :( My fingers and my brain aren't connecting well today. :D
Amy-Kokomo
05/17/01
Shana said:

//Good morning, Amy! Yes I have been getting up earlier this week. You can guess why.//

Of course I can guess. You are dreaming so much about Gary, that you have to take a cold shower. After that, you might as well stay up. :)
shana93
05/17/01
Amy, you know me so well. ;) There's nothing like a cold shower to wake you right up.
Janet486
05/17/01
Yes Fyvysh Finkel won an Emmy for Picket Fences. He and Ray Walston who played the judge were buddies.

Butkus did act some during the 80s. I believe he was in a cop show (Blue Thunder?) and I think he was on MacGyver once. A biker looking for his little girl or something is the part that comes to mind.

Shana, you must not be a Trekkie or you would never have forgotten George Takei. I think his most memorable parts in the show and the series come from the episode Shore Leave where we see the normally calm, cool and level headed Sulu go nuts with a sword. And in one of the movies (I think it was Search for Spock) he flipped a Security Guard and knocked him and then made the comment 'Don't call me Tiny'.

The mayor from TSMD was familiar (I don't remember his name either) but I never watched ALF so I wouldn't really be apt to remember.

Who's Anna Chulmsky? The name is somewhat familiar but I haven't seen her in anything else that I can remember.

Amy, what made you so sure I'd answer this post? I didn't know I was predictable on this too! I'm already told I'm predictable in my defense (part-time) of Erica.
shana93
05/17/01
Janet, actually I am somewhat of a Trekkie (original series), that's why I was so surprised I forgot George Tekei.

Anna Chlumsky was the girl from "Teen Angels" with the rotten boyfriend. She's most well-known for her role as Veda Sultenfuss (how's that for a name ) in "My Girl" and "My Girl 2", but she's been in a few other movies, I believe.

While we're on the subject of child actors, Mae Whitman (Amanda from "The Choice") is fairly well known, and has quite a few movie and television roles. I've seen her in "One Fine Day", "Hope Floats", and a tv movie called "A Season of Miracles".
karens608
05/17/01
//I don't know his real name, so he's probably not that well-known, but the guy who played the mayor in TSMD was Willie the dad in "Alf" :D and I believe he has a current role in "Norm" (if that show's still on--I don't know, I don't watch it).//

Oh, Shana, now I'm gonna go nuts trying to remember his name and I don't have TSMD on tape. :D

And I just remembered Tim Kazurinsky in A Minor Miracle. I missed that one one the network, and the first time it aired on FFC I couldn't get home from work before it started, but I had the VCR set, and when I got home I turned on the TV just in time to hear him say, "Am I dead?" I burst out laughing because I immediately recognized that voice. :D
Amy-Kokomo
05/17/01
Janet said:
//Amy, what made you so sure I'd answer this post? I didn't know I was predictable on this too!//

Easy, Janet. This is actually just a trivia question and you are always quick to jump on trivia threads. BTW, I was going to *cheat* and check Earlydues trivia guide to answer the stomache question. Serves me right, that part of the site wasn't updated. Earlydues must be goofing off. ;)
karens608
05/17/01
I think Anna Chlumsky was also in the X-Men movie, but I didn't see it, so I'm not sure.
Janet486
05/17/01
You mean it's that obvious that I love trivia? I can't hold a candle to my friend Rob that moved down to Virginia though.

If we gave him the name of one of the guest stars on Early Edition (say Charles Durning or maybe George Murdoch, one of the older ones, he'd be able to tell you exactly what they'd been in, what part it was and when the movie/series came out.

Earlydues got the trivia for Blackout and A Horse is a Horse up but the rest of Season 3 isn't up and I owe her some trivia. Like for Saint Nick and Halloween. I owe her some Season 4 trivia too. I've been doing fanscripts and trying to work on my new fanfiction and knitting projects (two separate colors of cushion covers).
karens608
05/17/01
I just remembered the name of the actor who played the mayor in TSMD - Max Wright. Boy, that was driving me nuts, which ain't a long trip! :D
shana93
05/17/01
I'm glad you remembered, Karen, cause right after I checked that Birelli/Mirelli thing for Janet, I started recording something else and I couldn't check my copy of TSMD for you. :)
Cov35
05/17/01
though not too well known, Andrew Ducote, played young gary on time. he was on dave's world, buffy, judgement day, some disney movie, thanks, and a few other tv shows. he was awesome on dave's world (as willie.) i used to love that show. :)

i've seen many of the people on early edition in a bunch of other stuff too. morris was also in the fugitive as a dude who worked at the morgue i think.
abc981
05/17/01
//While we're on the subject of child actors, Mae Whitman (Amanda from "The Choice") is fairly well known, and has quite a few movie and television roles. I've seen her in "One Fine Day", "Hope Floats", and a tv movie called "A Season of Miracles".//

That child's been everywhere! She was the president's daughter in "Independence Day" and now she's in that new series on FFC. I think she played Christine's Lahti's daughter on Chicago Hope too, although I'm not sure how I know that since I didn't watch the show--must have seen the previews.
earlydues
05/17/01
Amy wrote:
//BTW, I was going to *cheat* and check Earlydues trivia guide to answer the stomache question. Serves me right, that part of the site wasn't updated. Earlydues must be goofing off.//

ROFLMAO!! Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing. :D I'm kinda like Pepe LePew -- slowly bouncing along, but eventually I'll catch up to Janet.
chuck-n-gary
05/18/01
Adrienne Shelley, who played Emma in Phantom at the Opera, is fairly well known on the independant film circuit. She was in this great little movie called "Trust" that's on IFC every once in a while.

And Mae Whitman was also the younger daughter in the movie "When A Man Loves A Woman" with Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia.
rach1121
05/180/1
The little girl from a minor miracle was whats-her-name lou who in the grinch.
stephaniearwen
05/19/01
I watched Chicago Hope fairly religiously in high school, and Christine Lahti's daughter was DEFINITELY Mae Witman. She's a great little actress.

And Shana, Finkle is still on Boston Public. I'm not too wild about his character (I watch BP for Anthony Heald, who's an amazing performer), but occassionally, he's good for a laugh.
karens608
05/19/01
I just remembered that one we forgot is Kathy Najimy, from Psychic. She's probably best known for Sister Act and Hocus Pocus.
Amy-Kokomo
05/21/01
Karen said:
//I just remembered that one we forgot is Kathy Najimy, from
Psychic. She's probably best known for Sister Act and Hocus Pocus.//

Duh! (Slaps hand on forehead!) And I loved Sister Act and Hocus Pocus.
karens608
05/21/01
//Duh! (Slaps hand on forehead!) And I loved Sister Act and Hocus Pocus. //

I was watching some of Sister Act on TBS yesterday, and I spotted the police detective from A Minor Miracle. And TBS also aired Selena, which features Constance Marie, and Michael, which features Wallace Langham, who plays Mark on WAJ. Six Degrees of Kyle Chandler Day on TBS, perhaps?
Macredd
05/21/01
Does anyone remember "My Two Dads"? Mr. Butkus was a regular on that show. And just an FYI, Tess Harper has done upwards of 40 movies.

You guys are so good at this! I'm having an overload trying to come up with guests and just when I think you've got them all, someone submits another one.
Amy-Kokomo
05/24/01
I've thought of some more but I'm really fuzzy on the details. I think the episode was Mum's the Word. It was the one with the 2 foreign gentlemen stealing the cat eyes and getting sick. Marissa was sick, too. Weren't the doctors in the hospital scenes from another series? Chicago Hope? ER? I rarely watch anything but EE, however, I did recognize that another set of actors were involved with this episode. I know somebody will set me straight.
earlydues
05/24/01
They were from "Chicago Hope." :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0113.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com