And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: Does anybody here go to the ABC board?

Author
04/11/01
It's really disheartening- some of those folks seriously need to take a Valium to relax. And there are several people over there who are assuming Kyle's your average pretty boy, which he most certainly is not! Who do they think they are, anyhow? I'm really thankful I can come over here and chat with good friends who know the meaning of civility- you guys rock! :)
abc981
04/12/01
It's crazy over there!! A few of those people are having an all out war and it makes it very hard for anybody to enjoy the board. What's discouraging to me is that a couple of the mean-spirited posters are actually supporters of the show.

Most of the messages are favorable to Kyle but some of the KC fans get carried away and won't give Joan the credit she deserves. Why can't we all just get along?? :)
Candii
04/12/01
Wow. I just left the abc message board and how depressing! I was just thinking, maybe we should reply to each other on that board like we do on this one so that abc can see that waj is appreciated. Simply ignore the negative and just respond positively like we do on this board. Any thoughts? Also, we should write the station and let them know how we feel about the the abrupt endings and that we feel cheated because we're not getting a full 30 minutes! Has anyone timed the amount of minutes that we are actually getting? I would imagine that it averages out to about not more than 15. Thats how long last nights episode seemed like. It ended so fast.
karens608
04/12/01
Candi, I don't remember if I said it on this board or the EE board, but I've been taping the episodes without commercials, and they've been coming out to about 21 and a half minutes, and that's including the closing credits. Although, I've taped EE episodes off the networks and even with the scenes from next week's episode and the closing credits, those tapes only come out to about 44 minutes. I guess we know who's running things at the networks.
TobMar
04/12/01
I post messaages there almost every day. I use my other screen name, msmarylou200. I think it is very important that all of us post messages there because I think the suits at ABC read what people think about the show. I don't respond to another's message. Sometimes they have terrible subject headings. Every time I post a message I create a new message and so far I haven't been blasted by anyone. I think most of the negative messages are from Geena fans and others who are afraid WAJ/WAK might get renewed, which is almost certain according to today's Chicago Sun Times. Then there are those who cannot deal with the cancellation of EE. I can't deal with it either, but I'm willing to accept WAJ/WAK. Anyway, some of the posters are completely rude and I wish they would disappear. They obviously watch the show anyway, otherwise they wouldn't be so knowledgable about every detail.
TobMar
04/12/01
My computer has been acting up and I haven't been able to read all of the messages on this subject. However, I was just able to read Candi's. She has a perfect, A-l idea. :) We should respond to one another on the ABC board, even if we copy the exact messages from this board. I'd like to see a string of positive headers and messages over there for a change.
springfever
04/12/01
I have posted a couple times over there using springfever99. I agree that there are some pretty strange goings on on that board!! Most of my posts have been pushing Kyle- I like the show, but it seems like alot of people are only there to get on their ugly soapbox and spout out hate messages. I've been having problems with computer this past week, so I haven't done a whole lot of anything.
Newf65
04/12/01
Yes, I've posted over there several times. It is quite discouraging at times, but I post when I feel that someone either has a good point or one of the actors has been seriously maligned (which is all too often over there).
Hopefully they're done with the "looks" discussion. I posted a few quotes of Kyle's about growing up short and fat and how by the time the girls noticed him, "they had already left their scars..." That shut them up but good.
I try to remain as neutral as possible--hey, I even used the "can't we all just get along?" line. Some people find it empowering to bash others. Not for me. It was kinda funny, someone actually let their incredible ignorance show by saying that "Chicago must be lacking in art." My only reply to that was "GOOD LORD!"
chuck-n-gary
04/12/01
I, too, read the ABC Board but I never posted anything there; I kind of don't want to get involved in most of the immature battles going on over there. I noticed that some of you have posted on it with sane messages, thank goodness. I can't believe what some of those other people are saying about the show and some of the actors, particularly Joan :( It's one thing not to like a show. It's another to be downright nasty and malicious.
stephaniearwen
04/12/01
Newf65- Yes, I've seen your messages! :) I'm gavriela2 on the ABC boards, but I've only posted a few messages. Most I won't dignify with a response.
abc981
04/12/01
Can you tell us what the Sun-Times had to say or where to find it? Thanks!!
TobMar
04/12/01
Yes, abc (Linda?) I will be happy to! Phil Rosenthal, who is usually quite critical of every show, said three nice things about WAJ/WAK in his article. In this very long article he gives his views on the chances of renewal for every current show. What hasn't been renewed or cancelled is listed under Bubble Shows. This is where they put the midseason replacement shows. He said 'Chicago-based midseason standout seems like a lock for renewal. The only speed bump it has hit was when it came up against Boot Camp'. He also commented on how WAJ/WAK has hurt the chances for renewal for Three Sisters and Geena Davis. I promise never to insult Mr. Rosenthal again!
abc981
04/12/01
Thanks for the info! Mr. Rosenthal seems to have done a bit of a turnaround as far as WAJ is concerned. :) I sure hope he's right.
Candii
04/12/01
//but I've been taping the episodes without commercials, and they've been coming out to about 21 and a half minutes, and that's including the closing credits//

Thanks Karen. :) It seemed more like fifteen minutes to me. :D I wonder if it was because we didn't get to see enough of Jake.
Macredd
04/18/01
I've gone to the board about 4 times and always intend on putting in my 2 cents, but the overall tone is way too caustic. Maybe I'll get up the nerve eventually. I e-mailed ABC directly in support of the show and told them how disappointed I am in the turn the message board has taken. I don't think it'll do much good, but at least they have 1 more bit of feedback in support of the show. All I can say is that some of those people should be ashamed of themselves.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0009.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com