And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: Joan Meets the Parents -- SPOILERS

Author
04/18/01
I liked this episode alot. I had to laugh at Joan when she said photography was her family religion. I'm kinda like her-always have a camera in hand to capture all those "special moments" like her. It's kind of a joke -oh look out,here she comes with that camera again. But then after I get the pics back everybody wants to see the pics!! I wasn't too crazy about how Jake's parents came across, but was happy to see they warmed up to her by the end of the show. And Jake sure knows how to kiss a woman,doesn't he? ;)
karens608
04/18/01
One thing that particularly made me laugh during this episode was watching Jake's reaction to his parents and comparing it to how Gary reacts around his parents. I was really hoping that Jake's father's name would be Marion or Zeke or maybe Bernie or even Chuck! That would have been a great inside joke! :D
Candii
04/19/01
Joan: Well, what did your mother say about me? By the way she's gorgeous, I mean..what a wonderful looking woman. She just has great posture and dresses so beautifully. You get dignity and good will just by looking at her. What'd she say about me?

Jake: She said ya had chapped lips and a lazy eye.

Joan: Ooh!! (Quickly covers chapped lips and lazy eye)LOL!! :D

LOL!!! :D I nearly died laughing at that part! Actually, it's the only part that I thought was funny. I was a little disappointed in this episode and I'm going to have to watch it a couple more times before I can rate it. Right now all I have to say is that Kyle looked scrumptious in that dark suit and tie!! ;) Stephanie Powers looked great too!!!
stephaniearwen
04/19/01
I've watched this episode so many times since Tuesday- there are SOOO many great moments! The moment Candii mentioned definitely made me LOL, and I ended up on the floor again trying to restart my heartbeat when Kyle did the eyebrow thing. You know you need help when a guy's EYEBROWS drive you wild! :D I also LOVED Jake's hyperbolic speech in the same scene: "I think this dinner will fail. NO, not just fail. I think it will fail so utterly that it will rob you of your hope forever more. And on this very night, the light will fade from your eyes, and my parents will successfully cast us apart. And you will end up...well... you will end up with someone who deserves you less. And I will end up wandering the moors calling out your name into a fog that never lifts." (Am I sad or what, I already have this pretty much memorized.) :D ROTFL! Oh, and I ended up on the floor again- this time from laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath- when Joan burned her hand on the cookie sheet and was trying not to "interrupt" while Mr. Evans was giving his philosophy of life (AGAIN). ROTFLSHIAD! :D I got a little teary-eyed at the end too, not only because of the way Joan tried to mend things, but also because of Jake's impassioned defense of Joan beforehand. To hear a man say that his significant other is the greatest woman to walk the face of the planet and to know that by G-d he MEANS it whole-heartedly... THAT is truly romantic! ::SIGH::

And all along, I thought I was a pragmatist- turns out I'm a romantic at heart. :)
shana93
04/19/01
Steph, I loved that speech of Jake's too. I was waiting for Joan to reply "I am Heathcliff" or something to that effect. :D LOL And you know you've got a good man when he'll defend you to his family. That is just so incredibly sexy. sigh.
luvwaj
04/19/01
Wow....this sounds like one of the best episodes yet. I still can't believe I missed it, but I am so glad to have found this list where I can get all these yummy tidbits-- what a speech from Jake/Kyle that was, thanks for transcribing that --it would have had me sobbing, oh I cannot wait to see this when it airs.
chuck-n-gary
04/19/01
Oh, man! I've been away from the computer for a little over a day and you guys have already listed my favorite parts from this episode! I LOVED the chapped lips and lazy eye comment and also the speech about the dinner failing.

I wasn't sure how I felt about this episode when I was first watching it but I when I watched my tape I liked it so much more. I think my problem is when I watch it on tv I'm just watching Jake and not concentrating on the show. Anyone else have this problem? Thank God for VCR's!!! :)

(Oh, and when Joan was going to taking the picture near the end didn't Kyle look so cute and shy, standing there with his head down?!?) :)
abc981
04/19/01
chuck-n-gary, sometimes I have to watch it again to really appreciate it too! I don't know if it's because I'm concentrating on Jake or because the rest of my family is usually watching it with me or exactly why. No matter the reason, it always gets better the more times I watch. LOL

The picture taking scene was great. I liked it when they were done and Jake said I guess we can let go now. Awww. :)
shana93
04/19/01
Did anyone else get the impression that Stephanie Powers just did not want to let go of Kyle after they had their picture taken? (not that I can blame her) ;) It just seemed like it wasn't part of the script. :)
chuck-n-gary
04/19/01
I certainly wouldn't want to let go, even if I was playing his mother!! (which would be pretty funny since he's a quite a bit older than me. But, hey, anything to be near him.) Jeez, talking about this episode makes me want to go watch it again! I should probably stop taping in SLP; I don't want my tape to break from repeated viewings!
darbyross
04/19/01
One of the parts that really tickled me was when Joan sees her reflection in the mirror and she jumps a little in shock. ROTFLMAO!!!! I'm gonna have to watch the ep again because as i was reading his little speech I could hear his voice in my head and that's just not good enough. I need to hear it for real. :)
reaness
04/20/01
Hi everyone. I liked this esipode very much. I felt so sorry for joan when she tried so hard to please Jake's parent, but nothing seem to go right. I also liked how her friends tried to help her. Jake argry towards his parent was justify. He love Joan and he wanted them to give her a chance. I was glad at the end that she didn't give up andwas able to get thourough to then with something as small as a camera and that kiss at the end was so wow! :D and yes those raise eye brow was so sexy when he asked her if they could hide under the bed until they left. I hope this make sense. :)
abc981
04/20/01
Irene, it makes perfect sense!! I think I need to watch it again!
karens608
04/23/01
OK, I must not be as obsess...er, focused as I thought I was, because I didn't notice the eyebrow wiggle until I re-watched it over the weekend. Then, of course, I had to watch it a few times because it was so cute. And that speech of Jake's about wandering the moors! LOL! :D

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0013.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com