And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: Free Speech

Author
04/24/01
"Reasonably misguided authority figures"---ROTFL :D I think Alice is really funny in this ep. And Jake was so cute when he got all teary-eyed over Alice's speech. :D
shana93
04/24/01
I really liked this episode!! :) I loved all of Kyle's facial expressions in it and I thought all the characters had pretty funny lines. Was Jake sitting on someone's shoulders at the end?? :D (Hey, why are they showing Up Chuck on FFC instead of Halloween?)
shana93
04/24/01
I was wondering why they skipped "Halloween" too, but I thought it was interesting that both Kyle shows tonight involved cheerleaders. :D

Did anyone else laugh over "Mark Ludlow pees in the shower at home". I nearly spit my water. I wasn't expecting her to say something like that.
abc981
04/25/01
I agree, Betsy's comeback was hilarious. Mark deserved that one! I was sitting there with my mouth hanging wide open when he started spouting her speech word for word. LOL Alice's fake speech was great! I really like her character.

Okay, somebody help me out here. Have we seen the guy who played the basketball coach on EE before? I'm thinking he was in one of the eps when Gary told him there was a cow on the EL tracks or something like that. I don't even know which one that was.
chuck-n-gary
04/24/01
Was the cow on the track one Romancing the Throne? I kind of thought that guy looked familiar, too.
shana93
04/24/01
Linda, I think that ep was "Romancing the Throne". The coach looks familiar to me too, but I can't place him either. He could've been that guy you mentioned. I don't know!
abc981
04/24/01
That's what I was thinking it was too. Gary had already warned them about something early in the ep then when he came back to tell them something again, a different guy was working who wouldn't listen to him. The second guy might have been the coach. I'll have to check it out and see. (after EE is over) :)
stephaniearwen
04/24/01
Shana, my brother and I laughed so hard over Betsy's comeback we almost popped blood vessels. ROTFL! :D I also loved the party at the end- "I'm holding a pom pom and somebody swallowed my car keys!" LOL, it reminds me of some of the frat parties I pass by when I'm on patrol during the weekend.
Candii
04/25/01
LOL!! Good episode! :D I really enjoyed this episode tonight, actually, much better than last week's The Parents. I'm not sure about the coach but the judge lady looked awfully familiar. Wasn't she the mayor's secretary in EE's Theif Swipes Mayor's Dog?

"The bathrooms are down the hall, and the mayor is busy" :D

Not exact quote, but she said something like that when Gary tried to charm his way past her to see the mayor. :) Anyway, I liked tonight's episode. Did anyone notice that they gave us a closing scene for a change so it didn't seem to end so abruptly this time, even though there was actually seven minutes left before the hour. I don't ever remember shows ending with so much time left on the clock.
abc981
04/25/01
Yes!! I thought that lady looked familiar too but I couldn't place her. You're right, she was the mayor's secretary. If I'm not mistaken--and I could very well be--the coach has been in a couple of EE eps. I think one is Romancing the Throne but I'm not sure about the second one. He's one of those guys you see in little bit parts and say "hey, he looks familiar". :)

I also noticed there was a closing tonight. I thought it made the ending much smoother. I know this has been brought up before but how do the minutes for this show compare with any other 1/2 hour sitcom? I guess they make full use of the beginning by just showing the credits over the scene instead of having an actual opening but it still seems awfully short.
darbyross
04/25/01
I'm gonna jump in really late here. LOL That's what I get for not logging on after WAK!! I loved Alice's speech. I was literally in tears. When Jake turned his back to wipe away tears I just lost it. I don't even know what else was going on in the scene. LOL My favorite part was can you make the president cry. LOL He is just too cute. He steals every scene he is in. And wouldn't you loved to have been the one hoisting him in that scene. And where are the teenage girls fawning all over him? You know they have to think he's a babe. LOL.
karens608
04/25/01
I didn't recognize the basketball coach, but I did recognize the woman from Thief Swipes Mayor's Dog. I loved how quickly Alice switched gears when she explained that she was just acting and how Jake got all teary-eyed over her speech! LOL! And then when they were trying to figure out if there was anything she could do to make it better while Joan is just standing there, staring! And I'm glad I wasn't eating or drinking anything when Betsy said Mark pees in the shower, because it would've ended up spewed all over the TV! :D Not enough Kyle, but very funny!
shana93
04/25/01
My husband laughed so hard when Ruby took that kid to the floor at the end and he said something like "It was so worth it" after he....well...you know what he did, right? ;) I was gonna tell y'all what happened next, but I'm too embarrassed.
Meghan15
04/25/01
I totally missed Betsy's comeback. The cable went out just as Betsy was heading to the podium. :( What I did see of it was funny though. That kid's crush on Ruby was hysterical.
Newf65
04/25/01
There were a few things cut from the ep. When the cheerleaders were done, if you notice, you'll see letters on their backs that weren't there at the beginning of the cheer. They cut the part where at the end, the girls ripped panels off the backs of their sweaters and the lights went out, a black light came on, and the letters glowed like neon signs...it was pretty funny. I think (my view was very bad) they spelled out "SCOREBOARD."

Also Betsy and Mark were supposed to be married (this was ep. 13) did anyone notice the ring on her finger? When she was called up to the podium, it was originally by her hyphenated married name- they cut that for obvious reasons. They also cut Bob's plea for his shop kids. He actually had two different ones, the second of which I KNEW would never see the light of day--it involved Jesus Christ and the fact that he was a carpenter and something about bunkbeds. I wish I could remember it; it was HYSTERICAL!

Kyle was standing on a table. Between takes, Wallace gave him the "pie filling" (right under his nose) and I wish I had a picture of the face he made. Something like :O and :( combined. Very funny.

It was very evident to me how well Joan and Kyle got along. When they were waiting to tape the "speeches" scene, where he was seated behind her, he was chatting with her and massaging her shoulders. As I stated elsewhere, maaaan, was that ever difficult to witness...to be in the same room and NOT be the person sitting in that chair in front of him. Lucky woman.

abc981
04/26/01
The basketball coach from last night's WAJ ep was in at least 2 EE episodes in bit parts. He was one of the guys moving the couch out of Marcia's house in "The Wrong Man" and he was also in "Romancing the Throne" (Earlydues' credits list him as the 'second supervisor').
luvwaj
04/26/01
Wow Newf65-- thanks so much for that behind the scenes info-- how cool to have been at the taping, I especially loved--

//It was very evident to me how well Joan and Kyle got along. When they were waiting to tape the "speeches" scene, where he was seated behind her, he was chatting with her and massaging her shoulders. As I stated elsewhere, maaaan, was that ever difficult to witness...to be in the same room and NOT be the person sitting in that chair in front of him. Lucky woman.//

I think that's pretty neat that Kyle and Joan get along so well, they really do seem tight. Do you think they knew each other before WAJ? I just think it's great that two married people in real life, can be such great platonic friends, separate and apart from their husbands and wives you know? I bet a lot of couple's other halves might get a bit anxious though-- I know my man would if I had best friend that looked like Kyle Chandler, LOL. :)
karens608
04/26/01
I watched my tape again, and I thought maybe Jake was standing on the couch, but a table would make more sense, since it would be more difficult to keep your balance on a couch, especially with people bumping into you. Did anyone else catch that someone said, "Mr. Ludlow's pants are wet" ? I thought I was imagining it, but I listened to it again, and that's definitely what I heard. :)
Newf65
04/27/01
One of the funniest things about that last scene was that the director messed up on the first take. He had them pass Wally over by Kyle and start the mayhem BEFORE the girls got to the door, so they had to do it over. It was funny to hear him (Ed. Weinberger) admit he messed up.
reaness
04/27/01
Hi everyone. I thought this espisode was funny. My sister Susan and I nearly spit a gut, when Betsy said that Mark Ludlow pee in the shower. :D I also got teary eye over Alice's speech and Jake was so cute in that scene. :D I also like Joan speech, she made alot of sense. This was a great episode, but I could has use a little more Jake. :)
shana93
04/27/01
Was the coach also the guy spreading salt on the sidewalk in "Slippity doo Dah?"
abc981
04/27/01
Oh! He might have been. Apparently he was good at playing the bit parts that involved giving Gary a hard time. LOL.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0015.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com