And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: Joan's sister visits -- SPOILERS

Author
05/01/01
Was anyone else blushing when Jake talked about his "package"? :O

I thought the advice Joan said her sister gave her about the boy she had a crush on was hilarious. I nearly spewed water. :D

And I also got teary-eyed over Joan's advice to Anne about her marriage. That was really touching.

Oh and the cowboy was the guy who played Andy Miller in "Funny Valentine". Another EE connection.
luvwaj
05/01/01
Whoops, I should have waited for your post Shana-LOL!! aaagggghhh, I LU-UVED that line about "the package." Oh gawd, what a visual I got. That was too funny!!
shana93
05/01/01
Jake is just such a sweetie. That toast was so beautiful, and he brought Joan and Anne the margaritas in the bedroom. /sigh/
darbyross
05/01/01
I first have to say I want me one of Jake. OMG!! What was wrong with the first shirt he had on. I went woo, when I saw it. I thought it looked soooo good on him. I'm thinking Joan must have a really bad aim if she could staple his package when the hole was in the back LOL. He is just so funny the way he delivers his lines. He's so dry. I just double over with laughter everytime. When he brought the pitcher of double strawberry margaritas I was like oh how sweet. I love this guy and this show. I too got teary eyed over Joan's speech about her parents. I was ruined too. I want a marriage like my parents and it's way too hard to find today. :(
chuck-n-gary
05/01/01
I almost choked over that package line! :D This was a really sweet episode. I would have liked more Kyle in it, but it was still great! :)
deb_515
05/01/01
Is it me or was Jake holding a Sun Times!?!? I was flipping out! I was like "GARY!!!"
abc981
05/02/01
I thought I'd die laughing when Jake saw Ann for the first time and put his foot up on the coffee table and said something about being casual around there. :D I totally agree, Dollene, his delivery is so funny!

Thanks for identifying the cowboy, Shana! I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record but I knew that guy looked familiar from somewhere.
TerriRuth
05/02/01
Yes, thanks for identifing that guy. I knew I'd seen him before but couldn't think where. How many people is that from EE who have shown up on WAJ? Crumb, Abby, Andy Miller, who else? I wonder if these actors also live in Chicago. When Jake made that comment about his package, I was thinking, it'd be fun to be the nurse in ER that night. Actually it would have been pretty funny if he did let Joan try to fix the pants with a stapler and then having them at the ER explaining that one.
karens608
05/02/01
Yes! That was the Sun-Times; I was wondering if anyone else had noticed! I was ROTFL when I saw it! :D I also thought it was too funny when Jake tried to run away from Joan when she whipped out the stapler. Something seemed kind of strange about the package comment, though. It sounded to me like the word package was dubbed in, like maybe the network hadn't liked the word they originally used, although when he said "package" I assumed he meant it to refer to his tush, not his manhood. I mean, like someone said, that would've been awfully hard to explain when the hole was in the back of his pants. ;) And I thought the cowboy looked familiar, too. I checked the credits, but I either didn't catch it or I didn't recognize it.
abc981
05/02/01
Speaking of dubbing, did anyone else wonder about Joan's remark to Betsy in the teacher's lounge. She said something about Mark backing out of their engagement. Joan was off-camera when the comment was made. I thought maybe that was added later because of the eps being shown out of the order they were taped. I'm pretty sure this was one of the earlier eps to be taped and the engagement didn't actually happen until later in the series.

Karen, I also thought he was referring to his tush when he said package!
shana93
05/02/01
I was confused about Betsy and Mark too, but I figured since they aired the eps out of order, they had to explain them somehow. It took me a few minutes to figure out who the cowboy was, btw. I knew it had to be EE that I knew him from though, cause that seems to be the only show that I recognize people from. :D

I've never heard a guy refer to his tush as his "package". But I suppose he could've been referring to his tush. I've heard that term several times, and it always referred to his....well, his package (or the "family jewels", if you will). :D I'm gonna have to agree with whoever said they thought they dubbed that word in. It just sounded so strange.

I didn't notice the paper. How could I have missed that? Darn, I guess I'll just have to go back and watch it again. ;)
Newf65
05/02/01
I,too, thought that line about backing out of the engagement was dubbed. This show was obviously taped before the Joan Meets The Parents episode also. The lamp that Ann gave Joan was in the "parents" ep. Also, the comment Jake made about meeting her sister would've made more sense before the "parents" ep. I think TPTB shouldn't have messed with the show's order so much.

By the way, I usually think of the "package" as the front, but it was obvious he was speaking of his behind...oh, probably because it's part of such a nice package.
luvwaj
05/02/01
I think he was talking about "the package," as in everything-- not just his rear end...ummm...what thoughts I'm having now--hehheh. ;) Because Joan had a stapler "gun," I think Jake was concerned that although the hole was in the back, she might aim wrong. I think like most guys he'd be more concerned about his "package," than his butt. LMAO!!
darbyross
05/02/01
That does it! I'm gonna have to rewatch this tonight, because I didn't notice that it sounded like package was dubbed, I didn't notice the paper, and didn't notice that the engagement postponement sounded dubbed, But I did know I had seen that lamp in her apt. before. This is just such tough duty to have to watch this ep again tonight. :( Oh wo is me. ;)
karens608
05/02/01
Shana and Dollene, the paper can be seen in the opening scene when Joan is telling the story about Bobby What's-his-name. Jake walks over to the couch and picks up a newspaper and there's no doubt that it's the Sun-Times. I would have to agree that it makes more sense that Jake would be more concerned about getting a staple in his manhood than in his tush, but like someone said, Joan's aim would have to be way off to get him there. The other thing is, I can't imagine what word Jake could've used to refer to his tush that the network wouldn't have liked, but I can think of a few that they might not liked for the other part of his anatomy.
abc981
05/02/01
Dollene, I don't know that the engagment comment "sounded" dubbed but I assumed it was because of the mixed up order the eps are being shown in. Plus the fact that comment was made while the camera wasn't on Joan so it would have been easy to add.

It looks like they haven't decided yet which ep they're going to show next week. Their website just says something about tuning in next week for another episode.
reaness
05/02/01
Hi Everyone, Dollene I agree with you on the first shirt. I didn't see anything wrong with it either. Infact I thought he looked qiite hansome in it. The part about hte stable gun had me laughing so hard, that my husban fought I was nuts. Joan and her sister really caree about each other. I also got teary eye when Joan try to help Ann. In all I really did like this espisode. Well I tryping here and it not easy, I just got strung by a bee, but I am okay. :) Jake is so cute.
VickieJo
05/02/01
Hello, fellow "WAKkers"! Absolutely ADORED this ep! Personally, I didn't care for the first shirt with the white collar and cuffs. (Never did care for that style which was very popular in the '70s.) I was glad he changed into the other one which was more "Garyish". The "package" line had he laughing so hard I almost died! A man's "package" refers to the "Family jewels", his "manhood" as some have used the term. (At least everytime I've ever heard the term used it's referred to that.) I think Jake was so concerned knowing how badly Joan's attempts at some things seem to end up. She'd probably aim for the back and get him in the front instead. Wonder how long those staples were? Didn't notice the "dubbing". Will have to watch the ep again. Tough duty. I KNEW I'd seen that cowboy somewhere before! Thanks for identifying him. Thank goodness KC had more lines this time! He still wasn't in the show enough, tho. The screen just lights up when he is on. When he is not on, the spark is gone. But I did like Joan's sister a lot. I wish they'd get rid of Betsy, Mark & Ruby and put Joan's sister on as a regular instead. They are really good together.
Cov35
05/02/01
LOL!!!!!!! ohhhh, can you picture it. every single woman on this board running at jake with a... staple remover! :D do be the doctor who gets to take care of his needs. sigh. i'm melting.
karens608
05/03/01
I don't know if I'm right or just imagining things, but I thought the word "package" was dubbed because it somehow sounded different from the rest of the line. I've watched that scene so many times, I hope I don't wear my tape out! :D I especially love Jake's panicked reaction when he sees Joan come after him with the stapler, and of course, the "package" line! :D Although, if he didn't want her to staple his "package", then why did he back away from her?

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0018.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com