And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: Maeve -- SPOILERS

Author
05/08/01
I just saw an ad for this, and Jake is sitting on a bed in a robe, and Maeve stands right in front of him and drops her robe. You only see her from the back, but it looks like she's completely naked. :O Her unconcealed hoo hoos are right at his eye level. :O He turns his head and closes his eyes in response. What a good guy!!! But I'm already on pins and needles over this. It's gonna be such agony waiting till tomorrow.
darbyross
05/07/01
i saw that too. LOL that look on his face is priceless. Like OMG I'm in so much trouble what do I do now. I can't wait either. Isn't it sad that we look for ads to keep us going through the week? LOL
shana93
05/07/01
I almost wish I hadn't seen this ad, cause now I'm in such agony over this. I know that Jake won't cheat on Joan, but gosh, the anxiety I have. You'd think I was Joan. :D (and since she gets to sleep with Jake, that wouldn't be such a bad thing)
darbyross
05/07/01
I'm still having a hard time with Joan not wanting to marry Jake, I would want a ring on his finger so quick. I'd be afraid he would get away. :(
shana93
05/07/01
Dollene, I think if he asked her again now, she'd probably say yes. I think she's more sure of "them" now than when he first asked her. But it's probably not gonna happen anytime soon, being it's a sitcom, and they tend to drag these things out.

Arrgggh!! I just saw another ad. I tell ya, I don't think I will even be able to sleep tonight, I'm so worried about this. I take these things way too seriously. :D

abc981
05/07/01
//I almost wish I hadn't seen this ad, cause now I'm in such agony over this.//

I think you're just trying to make me feel better since I didn't get to see the commercial! Did you see the same one twice? My husband's watching the ABC movie but must not have been paying attention cause he said he hasn't seen any WAK commercials. Maybe it's just as well. :D
shana93
05/07/01
Linda, the first ad was just the scene with the two of them in their robes, and her taking hers off. The second ad had that scene also, but it started with Jake and Joan in bed, and she's telling him that she's not jealous, and completely at peace (I guess with him going away). She shines the lamp in her face and says something about "see the peace on my face". :D
Candii
05/07/01
Well, that hussy! How dare she tempt Jake like that! :D I just saw a part of that ad Shana, and it looks like tomorrow's eppy is going to be a good one! Will he or won't he? Will he be tempted or will he be strong? If he's tempted, then how dare he!! Hope they make it interesting! I can't wait!
karens608
05/08/01
Did anyone else notice that in the first ad Jake said, "Oh, boy!" :D I had my VCR set to record any commercials, but this one caught me off-guard because it was connected to a Dharma & Greg commercial, so I wasn't able to release the pause button fast enough to catch it. :( But my first thought was, "That's a Garyism!"
abc981
05/08/01
I haven't seen this commercial and I wouldn't want to get Jake in trouble but...does anybody else wish it was Jake doing the robe dropping instead of Maeve? Just wondering...
darbyross
05/08/01
Linda, You're a woman after my own heart. Yes I would like to see Jake drop that robe, maybe after that hussy leaves the room, he'll do just that. ;)
shana93
05/08/01
If Jake dropped the robe, I'd probably faint dead away from over excitement. I don't think my system could take the sudden rise in body temperature. :O But what a way to go!! :)
shana93
05/08/01
Oh my gosh, I actually cried during this ep. It was so agonizing. When that slut went into Jake's bathroom, I was yelling "Run, run Jake!! Go now!!!" I wish they would've shown how he got out of his room. I did laugh over his remarks about reading the paper and his "oh boy". And I laughed hysterically when the phone was frozen to Joan's face. :D
chuck-n-gary
05/08/01
"Jake! Me love! Be faithful! Don't kiss nobody!!" :D This episode was so good!! Who would have thought we would ever be so happy to see Kyle in bed with another man! :D I loved this ep!
deb_515
05/08/01
Yes! I loved the paper remark and the "oh boy"! I finally got one of these on tape and its pretty cool that its this one. I also loved the ending. How sweet. Now after EE I have to watch it again! :)
shana93
05/08/01
Chuck-n-gary, I nearly spit my hot chocolate when I read your post. LOL I was sooo happy to find Jake in bed with a man. That Joan quote is pretty funny when you remember she's the head of the speech team.
abc981
05/08/01
//Who would have thought we would ever be so happy to see Kyle in bed with another man!//

LOL!! How true!!

Of course I loved the Jake scenes but Joan & her friends were hilarious too. The ending was so sweet, I loved it!! I liked the beginning too when he was talking about moving in some of his stuff.

I've got to watch this one again (after EE) :) to get the full effect. Too many distractions (supper, homework, etc.) while it was on!
chuck-n-gary
05/08/01
HA! I forgot about Joan being head of the speech team. At least she got her point across! :D

Was it just me or did Kyle look especially good in this episode? :) (As if he ever doesn't look good) ;) I liked how he shook his head back and forth real fast after Maeve invited herself to dinner with him. :D And I, too, loved the comment about reading the paper!

Oh, gee. My mom just told me she forgot to watch the show tonight. I guess I'll have to watch my tape with her tomorrow. Jeez, the things we have to do for our parents!
darbyross
05/08/01
I really felt for Joan in this ep. I couldn't enjoy all the funny remarks for worrying with her. God could you imagine being in her shoes those 12 hours or so? It was totally agonizing for me in just those 30min. I like that someone realized, FINALLY that this guy is chase worthy, but can anyone repeat after me? SKANK!!! Why is Alice friends with this woman? going after an arch bishop? Puhleeze. I hated seeing Jake get tongue tied over her at the beginning and I hated seeing him squirm with her standing naked in front of him. I cringed about the appendix remark. God help me I sound like my mother!!! By the time the guy tossed back the covers I was literally sick to my stomach. My heart knew Jake WOULD NOT cheat on joan but the Dancer anthropoligist remark kept going through my head. I was totally depressed by the time this was over with. Do you think I get too wrapped up in these fictional characters?
luvwaj
05/08/01
Oh my goodness, I so agree with you, I was totally exhausted at the end of this episode. If I wasn't laughing hysterically, I was nervous as hell biting my fingernails off WORRYING...oh the anxiety-- I gotta tell you, I didn't even want jake TEMPTED!! LOL, I agree with whoever posted, "you would have thought *I* was Joan!" LOL! I was sick, but I was laughing my butt off too. This was another great episode that I plan on watching again right after I put this post up...I'll just fast forward through the "Maeve," scenes, the skank--grrrrr. The girl's night scenes, with Joan's pals helping her make it through the night were laugh out loud funny, but at the same time I felt so bad for her-- because what she was feeling was so real-- there isn't a woman alive who couldn't identify with those emotions. The great thing about Joan, is that she's so honest, there's no pretension at all, she lays it out there...in a big way. That prepare for the breakdown scene with Ruby and Betsy grabbing Kleenex and alchohol from cupboards and drawers was so funny. Terrific ep!

..and boy oh boy....it's really special when I get to see Jake in bed, I love the scene where Joan was trying to convince hims he wasn't jealous, and kept turning on the light-- then finally Jake goes, totally deadpan..."I unplugged the lamp, go to sleep." LMAO! Or aiyeeeee!! how bout' when Jake asks if he can move some of his stuff into her place-- it was so sweet, my heart was melting.....

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Now, I can't wait for the ep where the tables get turned and Jake gets jealous, also known as "the sweater episode,"-- yum!!
abc981
05/09/01
//I hated seeing Jake get tongue tied over her at the beginning //

That was my least favorite part because it seemed out of character for him. I think Jake is much more sure of himself and secure in his relationship with Joan to react like that. You'd thought Maeve (AKA the Skank) was standing there naked in his office from the way he was behaving!

I did like all of the comments about Jake being gorgeous and a great guy. What did Betsy say, something about Joan having a good looking monkey on her back with Jake?! :D

luvwaj, Jake's asking to move some of his stuff in melted my heart too. And the ending was so sweet...nice hugs and kisses and incredibly sweet things being said.../sigh/
abc981
05/09/01
I forgot about Joan punching him in the arm until I watched it again. :D
springfever
05/09/01
Just one question- how do they do those scenes, such as the one where Maeve drops her robe and appears naked?? What the heck does she have on while she's facing Kyle??
karens608
05/09/01
Did anyone else recognize the guy in bed with Jake? I could be wrong, but I'm positive he was the guy from The Play's the Thing who owned the theater. I nearly died laughing when he made the "I was reading the paper" comment and when he dropped that humongous burrito in the garbage when Maeve walked in. :D BTW, I'm positive I saw a hockey stick propped up against the wall behind Jake's desk.

springfever, I was wondering myself what she might have had on, because I think it's a pretty safe assumption that she wasn't actually naked. (God, I hope not, anyway!) :O

luvwaj, we've mentioned on the EE board a number of times how we like the cradle move! /sigh/

Sorry if this is kind of rambling, but I was trying to save time by commenting on several postings at once. :)
karens608
05/09/01
I forgot to mention that I also loved the "I unplugged the lamp, go to sleep" line as well as the head-shaking move.(Actually, I think I'd call it more of a shudder.) :D I don't think that Jake's getting all tounge-tied over Maeve is necessarily out of character just because he's secure in his relationship with Joan. I mean, I'm assuming that Shana's happily married, but I'd bet that if Kyle showed up on her doorstep, she'd be pretty tounge-tied. Heck, I know I'd be! :D
luvwaj
05/09/01
Oh, I keep thinking about this episode and finding more stuff to luv!

The scene where Jake gets back from his overnight conference and hugs Joan....anybody notice how he just squeezed her really REALLY close on the exhaled sigh, which was long and deep, as if Joan were just his favorite pillow in the whole world! (okay, okay, okay...that sounds unflattering but you know what I mean--LOL!)

God, that was yummy.

Then also (and add this to the hug, head cradle thing he does...), he's just so happy to be back, and relieved to have shared the "Maeve" thing with her, and to know she wasn't all that worried about him...when he goes to change he turns around and has this big happy smile on his face, and just kinda skims/slides his hands all the way down her arms...whoa!!

By the way-- did you guys notice the weight Joan has lost? She looked good-- it's the first episode I've seen where she's wearing something form fitting (tight black pants, an that fitted lavender/purple shirt). She most likely has been trying to drop that baby weight all along wearing those big tops. She's got a really nice figure!

karens608
05/09/01
You know, now that you mention it, she had been wearing looser fitting clothes in previous episodes. I think it's nice, though, to see a woman on TV who actually looks like she eats.(But I don't mean to suggest that I think Joan looks fat.) I mean, I cringe whenever I see Callista Flockhart, especially when they say the camera adds 10 pounds. How thin must she look in real life if that's the way she looks on TV? Yikes!
shana93
05/09/01
I'm glad I'm not the only one who agonized over this ep. I don't even know if I can watch it again, it was so stressful. I didn't think Jake's reaction when he first meets Maeve was realistic at all. Most men drool over an attractive woman, but they're usually better at disguising it, and I think Jake would've been better at disguising it as well. And if I knew my husband was going away with that woman, I would've freaked WAY WORSE than Joan did. :O I tell ya, it's my worst fear that my husband will cheat on me. And it's not because I don't trust him, it's because I don't trust other women. Because, unfortunately, there are women in this world like that slut Maeve, forward women who don't care that a man is married/committed (or part of a religious order). >:( See, I'm getting myself all worked up over this. I think I need therapy, but first I need to call my husband.

Yes Karen, if Kyle showed up at my door, my jaw would drop to the floor, followed shortly by the rest of me as I would probably faint dead away.
abc981
05/09/01
I agree about the scene in Jake's office, Shana. No matter how smitten Jake was--I don't usually use that word, btw!--I still think he would have come off much calmer and in control of himself. After all, this is the guy who we've heard for several weeks now reassuring Joan about how much he loves her and how committed he is to their relationship. So we're supposed to believe he falls apart the second some skanky bimbo walks into his office? He had trouble even admitting to her that he's in a serious relationship with Joan. IMO, that made him come across looking very shallow and that's not the same stable guy we've been seeing since the series began. Now his reaction to actually seeing her in his room naked, etc., that's a different story! That would tend to make a guy a little uncomfortable/nervous. :D

I don't think you can compare this to one of us married ladies meeting Kyle either. Maeve wasn't someone Jake had spent years obsess--I mean focussing on and finally got his chance to meet her. Not the same thing at all!!

Shana, I'm sorry you and Dollene were in such agony with Joan. :( I honestly didn't feel that way, maybe because I knew Jake would end up being faithful to her plus I just thought her scenes with her friends were so darn funny. :D I've grown really attached to the supporting characters in this show, even Mark! I had to laugh when Joan said "eating!" after Mark & Betsy started playing kissy face.
shana93
05/09/01
Linda, you make some very good points about Jake. I just kept thinking about that scene with Mark in his office, ya know, the one that went something like:
Mark: "But don't you.."
Jake: "NO"
Mark: "Didn't you..."
Mark: "What about.."

That Jake would not get all tongue tied and nervous around Maeve, simply because she was attractive. And I don't think he would've had trouble admitting his relationship with Joan. I hated that scene. I do agree that when Maeve stood in front of him naked, his reaction was realistic, and that's the part I hated so much. What man would not look if a woman dropped her clothes right in front of him. I really wish, Jake hadn't let her in the room at all, or else I wish he would've left the room as soon as she went in the bathroom. Even though I knew Jake wouldn't cheat on Joan, it was still agonizing for me, knowing that there are women out there like that, and wondering how many times can a man be strong if he keeps encountering these type of women. :( It just bothers me so much. I'd better go call my husband again....and then that therapist.
darbyross
05/09/01
Shana I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was almost sick to their stomach over this ep. I didn't like Jake's reaction to her at all, and I didn't particularly find her that attractive, but that's me. And I know it doesn't take a beautiful face for a lot of men, just an open area. But I thought Jake was a better person than he was made out to be. I've been witness to men who make an a$$ out of them selves over a pretty woman and don't see the snake she is inside. I don't like that in men and don't find it funny in a sitcom. Maybe later on I can watch the ep and find more humor in it but right now it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Don't everyone all jump me at once. This is just my opinion on this ep. :) P.S. I did think the guy in bed with him looked familiar and yes I think he is the guy from the plays the thing. Has there been one ep that didn't have a person from EE in it . Not counting Kyle and the girl who plays Betsy?
karens608
05/09/01
Linda and Shana, you both made good points about Jake, especially with regard to the scene with Mark from The Proposal. I do think though, that Jake redeemed himself in the hotel room because he looked away as soon as Maeve dropped her robe, although I don't know how he noticed the appendix scar when he barely glanced at her.

Linda, I guess I should have said someone as good-looking as Kyle. Obviously, there would be a big difference in how a person would react to seeing someone in person they've been obsessed with...uh, focused on for a long time and how they would react to someone they've never seen before. Plus, I'm not in a relationship, but I was trying to imagine how I'd react if someone as good-looking as Kyle walked into my office even if I was in a relationship.
Newf65
05/09/01
I agree with all of you about pointing to the scene from The Proposal. I don't know, I thought it was good for laughs, even though it was over the top. Interesting to see what can happen to anyone (even Jake)when they're caught off guard. I think that it's possible that the writers were trying to make him a little more "human"...a believable "guy." It would be great to think Jake is above all that, but let's face it, we ALL can be stupid. I am REALLY glad that they had him stay true, and I loved the ending, that heavy sigh. Relief. Boy, did I ever love that maroon shirt on him. Gorgeous....hey Dollene, that's one thing we agree on in this episode!
karens608
05/09/01
Newf65, I gotta agree with you about it being good for laughs. I just thought it was so funny when he dropped that huge burrito in the garbage when Maeve walked in, and when she told him to close his mouth as she left, even though she had her back to him and couldn't see his mouth hanging open. And I thought he looked pretty darn good in that maroon shirt, too!
abc981
05/09/01
//although I don't know how he noticed the appendix scar when he barely glanced at her.//

He noticed it because it was written in the script that way. :D That earlier scene between Jake & Mark is a great expample of how this just didn't fit. I definitely agree he redeemed himself, Karen, but it was a little painful getting there!
karens608
05/09/01
I like your answer, Linda! :D I was just thinking about something, though. It seems to me like Jake was acting like he wasn't interested in Maeve, but that it was somehow against the rules for him to throw her out on her keister. What kind of sense does that make? Or is Jake just too polite for his own good?
luvwaj
05/09/01
You know guys, this is such an interesting discussion that I had to weigh in here, although I hesitated because I have to confess I was so anxiety ridden that I ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off during the Jake and Maeve scenes. I'll watch it again, and this time FORCE myself to watch those scenes sitting down and looking straight at the screen next time, however-- from what I could sense, Jake's reaction didn't square with how I expected him to act, or HELL-- let's face it, WANTED him to act..so I'm with some of you who also were rubbed the wrong way by it. That scene from the proposal (the "no, no, no and no," scene) I agree, was my measuring stick of what kind of man Jake is supposed to be. I feel silly and a bit Joan-ish for feeling this way, but I can't help it.

I figure, they most likely did want to portray him as being a guy who would have some kind of reaction to a gorgeous slinkly female (i.e. skank, lol) coming on to him, and not be totally unaffected, apparently the writers thought that would be too unrealistic perhaps. But hey, the way I look at it-- I don't tune in to TV or go to movies for REALISM, I get enough of that in real life...I mean if I wanted to see some guy drool over a woman that wasn't his girlfriend, all I need do is go out on the town with my boyfriend (haha...just kidding- but you know what I'm sayin' right??). The reason why I love this show, is because of Joan's insecurities that are so hilariously portrayed, and because of Jake's DEVOTION, and COMMITTMENT. If they suddenly start to give Joan GOOD REASON to be scared or shy of a committment with Jake, or reason to be a nutcase-- THAT is when the show might lose me. I would hate to see that woman hurt, because in some ways she is me-- hell, I don't want to watch Joan goes through the same trials and tribulations that I do on the dating scene, Iwant to see her get the fairy tale, and Jake is the prince!

I know, I know, I know-- I'm ranting here, and most likely overreacting, as Jake has already begun to redeem himself, with the yummy sighs, the hugs, and his usual devotion to Joan.....but I too would have liked to see him a little less tongue tied, and less frazzled because of a beautiful girl.

Of course, I'm sure Jake, although he was nervous-- had no intentions of ever sleeping with that girl, and that's what we have to remember, he was just perhaps un-used to somebody so brazen propositioning him liek that...but it still would have been nice if they could have clued the television audience in onw hat he was feeling more--given us some reassurance that he would NEVER in a million years cheat on Joan. The way they set us (the audience) up, Joan's hysteria almost looked understandable. LOL
chuck-n-gary
05/09/01
Wow, I didn't even realize how out of character some of Jake's reactions were until I read all the posts. I guess I'm still kind of in the "watching Kyle and not paying enough attention to the rest of the show" phase. But having watched the show again I, too, didn't like how he reacted to Maeve in his office (though I did like the way he was eating the burrito, and then dropped it).

I also liked when Joan mentioned the Hollie Hobbie contact paper in her drawer. I still have my Hollie Hobbie sleeping bag from when I was a kid! :D And my mom thought it was funny that Joan gave Jake such a small drawer to keep his stuff in.
karens608
05/09/01
You made some very good points, luvwaj. I'll bet the episode could have been just as funny(if not funnier)if Jake had been totally unaffected by Maeve's come-ons, especially since she certainly seems like the kind of woman who's not used to getting turned down.
abc981
05/09/01
//but it still would have been nice if they could have clued the television audience in onw hat he was feeling more--given us some reassurance that he would NEVER in a million years cheat on Joan. The way they set us (the audience) up, Joan's hysteria almost looked understandable. //

Excellent point! I was hoping for a more forceful statement of some kind from Jake along those lines. It's okay to show some nervousness when the guy's totally caught off guard but at some point I wish he would have made it perfectly clear that he was NOT interested in her little games. Even though it was funny to have him wake up in bed with Russ(?), I would much rather have seen him throw her out of the room than find out he had to use some lame excuse to get rid of her. Did Russ say that Jake's room was flooded? If so, did it really happen or did he just make it up?
abc981
05/09/01
//And my mom thought it was funny that Joan gave Jake such a small drawer to keep his stuff in. //

LOL!! Didn't he stuff his pants in that drawer too, after she offered it to him to use? :D
karens608
05/09/01
chuck-n-gary, I nearly lost it on the Hollie Hobbie comment because I had a Hollie Hobbie doll when I was a kid. That plus the fact that it was funny that an adult would have something like that lining her dresser drawers. She's probably had the same dresser since she was a kid! :D
luvwaj
05/09/01
Yeah, can somebody explain the "room flooding," thing to me too-- like I said I was so busy being a nutcase and not paying close attention during those scenes, that whatever that was supposed to mean was lost on me....

God forbid, Jake was saved from seduction by a flooded room, and didn't make that decision on his own, :O please tell me that's NOT what that meant?!!
shana93
05/09/01
My take is that Jake grabbed some things and fled the room, leaving a naked Maeve behind. Then he went to the other guy's room with the "flooded room" excuse. I'm glad he fled to a place of safety, where the slut wasn't likely to follow, but I agree that I wish he would've been less of a coward and tossed Maeve's naked butt right out and locked the door behind her. Maybe he was afraid to touch her though, in her current state of undress, for fear she would misconstrue his intentions.

I think the scene in the office could've still been funny if written differently. Like maybe he could've been having lunch in his office with one of his colleagues when she came in, and the colleague could've been the one to drool all over her, and Jake could agree that she was attractive without acting like a mindless idiot. The fact that he let on instantly that he found her attractive, gave her a sense of power over him, which I just hated.
Candii
05/09/01
After reading everyone's posts on Jake's behavior, I just want to say that I thought his reaction in his office was very funny and believable too. I can definately relate to what Jake was going through or must have been feeling. There is this new guy at work who I thought was so cute, and I'm telling you every time this guy walked by me or said something to me, I felt like a school girl with a crush and would turn to mush! I didn't even know the guy! I would drop things or say something totally stupid and would be blushing the whole time! Even had a big grin on my face, while trying to act normal. :D I was totally miserable being at work if he was there because I wasn't sure what stupid thing I would say or do! :D It was absolute torture!! He kind of reminded me of Kyle. The eyes, his mannerism. Just darned handsome. I could swear everyone else noticed my reaction whenever this guy came near me, and I was so certain that he knew it too. As hard as I tried, I could not control my reactions. Jake is only human, and I'm sure any man when out of the sight of his woman might have the same reaction. We'll never know. LOL!!

When Jake dropped that burrito and slid back in his chair, I thought was funny too. And when he started wiping his hands on leaves of that plant was absolutely hilarious to me! :D He looked so cute when she told him to close his mouth. His mouth was formed in that O that we love so much! LOL! A Garyism, I think someone else chose to use that word to describe something gary would do. I loved that scene! The hotel room scene to me was a disappointment. :( I felt that Jake should have handled the situation differently. Sitting there all tongue tied made me feel embarrassed for him. He knew what she was all about when she walked in. He acted as though he had never seen a set of hoo hoo's before, and from the looks of her, there wasn't much to see. LOL!! :D I think he should have reacted more like Gary did in The Weather Girl. Stood up, clutched his robe, backed up and got out of that room as fast as possible instead of closing his eyes tight and looking away. Or maybe even,(as difficult as it might have been, but then again, there wasn't very much to look at.) looked her in the eyes and said something clever like, no thanks. Something! Anything! :D LOL!! He looked so uncomfortable sitting there.!

I must rant about Joan though. I'm still trying to get use to her. How stingy can she be, supplying him with that tiny little measly drawer and to dramatize her generousity about it bugged me!
darbyross
05/09/01
What I would have loved to have seen instead of Jake pacing back and forth in the hotel room trying to come up with something to explain to Joan what happened was for the second Maeve disappeared into the bathroom was for Jake to grab some of his things and run out of the room like the Devil was on his heels and have her come out of the bathroom to an empty room and not know where he went. And luvwaj!! Preach on sistah!! I agree totally with everything you said.
shana93
05/09/01
Candi, you made a remark about not knowing how a man would react to seeing a beautiful woman when he's not with his significant other. I have seen my husband (when he doesn't know I'm around) act like a mature unaffected adult when encountered with a beautiful woman. He doesn't drop his lunch and wipe his hands on plants, stuttering like his IQ just dropped 30 points. He may be thinking she's beautiful, but he doesn't make an a$% out of himself. Out of all Kyle's characters, my husband is most like Jake, so I guess that's why I compare them. I guess it was supposed to be funny, but I just hated it so much and found it so out of character. Joan wasn't around when Mark was making his remarks in "The Proposal", and yet Jake didn't start speaking "locker room talk" at that point. I guess it depends on the person, but since Jake's character had already been established as totally devoted to Joan in every way, I just found his reaction to Maeve in the office totally unbelievable. And being an insecure (at times) wife, I found Joan's reactions totally believable. In fact, I probably would've hauled my butt down to that hotel if I had been in her shoes.
Candii
05/09/01
LOL!! Sure it was done for laughs, (over exaggerated) but I'm telling you Shana, how Jake was acting,was totally how I was feeling with the new guy in the office. Gosh, I hope that I didn't wipe my hands on any plants that were around!!! As low as my IQ is now, ;) I'm certain it dropped at least 50 more points when that guy came around. LOL!! :D Hasn't anyone else ever experienced a situation like that?
As far as Mark and the locker room talk in the proposal, well, I figure Jake knew that Mark was a dog and that he wasn't a very nice boy when it came to how he was with Besty. Jake didn't want to give Mark ANY reason to believe that how he was treating besty was okay. Every excuse or reason that mark gave for doing what he was doing, was knocked down intentionally by jake. Not saying that Jake didn't feel what he was preaching but he didn't want to give Mark a leg to stand on. Mark was a dog and Jake knew it and knew how much Besty loved him and that she was a good woman. Not saying that Jake's not totally devoted to Joan, I hope that he is, I want him to be. But I like seeing the human side to him too. I don't think that I want to see him too straight and too narrow,not showing feelings or emotions that a normal man or person would feel, though it may have been over exaggerated, he wouldn't have done anything and didn't do anything. I guess I am drawing on my own experience with how Jake was acting. It was totally weird.
luvwaj
05/09/01
Looks like the consensus is in-- I think we should e-mail this thread to ABC and the writers of WAJ, with an attached note which reads, "Please don't EVER make Jake look like a tongue tied *** in front of a woman that is NOT Joan AGAIN!" Grrrrr. LOL! :)

Now, I hope Jake gets the tables turned on him, and SOON in the jealousy department! That whole business where he tells Joan, "Jealousy is an ugly thing and it's just not a part of you," --LOL...well okay Mr., let's just see if it's a part of YOU for a change.
Candii
05/09/01
I just loved the key twirling part too! :D Wow! He looked so nervous and uncomfortable, it made me feel uncomfortable for him. LOL!!

How realistic is it for a man to share another man's bed when the room is nice and roomy? I know it was done to make us suspect something had gone on between Jake and Maeve but I would think that a man would probably have made a bed on the floor for the night.
karens608
05/10/01
Candi, I was the one who used the term "Garyism" to describe my reaction to hearing Jake say, "Oh, boy!" (Although, "Samism" would've also worked.) :)

Shana, your comment about a man's IQ dropping 30 points reminded me of that scene from The Iceman Taketh when Amber said the same thing to Gary; too bad Jake couldn't have reacted toward Maeve the way Gary reacted toward Amber.
shana93
05/10/01
Karen, I threw that IQ line in just for you, wondering if you would pick up on it. :D I'm in complete agreement too, that I wish Jake would've treated Maeve the way Gary treated Amber.

Candi, I guess I can't relate to Jake's reaction. I have worked with gorgeous guys before, but aside from being a little more shy around them at first, I was pretty much myself. :O

I asked my husband how he reacts around a beautiful woman in his office (even though I have witnessed it for myself), and well, his answer was, he acts like a professional. He's committed to me, he's at work, and it's just not appropriate behavior to drool all over her (not that he didn't notice her or find her attractive).
His father is another story. Jake's behavior is mild compared to my father-in-law, who apparently is oblivious to the term "sexual harrassment." /rollseyes/
karens608
05/10/01
//Karen, I threw that IQ line in just for you, wondering if you would pick up on it. :D I'm in complete agreement too, that I wish Jake would've treated Maeve the way Gary treated Amber.//

I figured it was too much of a coincidence. ;) Even her comment about her dress slipping off as easily as butter off a hot potato didn't seem to faze him too much, but I just remembered near the beginning of the ep he told her that they should keep in touch, because 50% of all marriages end in divorce. Of course, that was before the kiss.
shana93
05/10/01
Karen, that line about the dress slippin off like butter on a hot potato always cracks me up. The look on Gary's face is so funny. He doesn't look as if he's turned on, instead he looks as if he thinks she's gone completely insane. And I always thought he gave that "50% of all marriages" line just to bug Brigatti. :D Okay, I just realized I'm completely off subject here, and even on the wrong board. :D

Back to Maeve!! I know someone mentioned she is/was Marilyn Manson's girlfriend, but has she been in anything else? She looked really familiar to me (and I'm not familiar with Marilyn Manson) :O
karens608
05/10/01
//He doesn't look as if he's turned on, instead he looks as if he thinks she's gone completely insane. And I always thought he gave that "50% of all marriages" line just to bug Brigatti.//

I agree with you on both comments, Shana.

//Okay, I just realized I'm completely off subject here, and even on the wrong board.//

Yeah, but aren't all of us on both boards, except for maybe luvwaj? (Although it doesn't sound like it would take much effort to turn her into an obsessed...uh, focused EE fan, too.) ;)
shana93
05/10/01
Karen, that's true about all of us being on both boards, except luvwaj. Didn't she say she watched EE on Tuesday right after WAK? I think we are converting her. ;)
luvwaj
05/10/01
//I caught EE right after WAJ, and boy oh boy did Kyle look fine!!! Thud city!! It was the episode where Gary is trying to stop the school shooting, he was so gorgeous he stopped me in my tracks...he had on Jeans, Timberland looking boots, and a black turtle neck cable sweater-- he was adorable.//

Yah, it was moi...see above. tee-hee. I'm well on my way to becoming an EE convert, also-I've been planning to become a "keeper," of something too-- what's that website url again? Are there any eps of EE where Gary has a romance? (and NOT with that Kristy Swanson chick, I'm definitely not interested-- I don't EVEN wanna know about HER eps of EE, LOLOL).
karens608
05/10/01
//Are there any eps of EE where Gary has a romance? (and NOT with that Kristy Swanson chick, I'm definitely not interested-- I don't EVEN wanna know about HER eps of EE, LOLOL).//

Not enough, unfortunately. My favorite is the one Shana and I were referring to. I don't know if you saw the ep that I believe aired after last week's WAJ, where Gary was being protected by a female U.S. Marshall because he'd witnessed a mob shooting, but in a later episode the two of them are forced to pose as newlyweds because Gary showed up when her partner didn't, and at first they can barely tolerate each other, but then something happens that makes them change their minds. (I don't want to give too much away.) ;)
shana93
05/10/01/
//After you hit reply, you can highlight the part of the other person's message that you want to quote. Then, on the menu bar, click edit, then copy.//

This has been a test of Shana's technological know how. In the event of an actual technological emergency, the sounds you will hear will be Shana's screams of frustration..... :D (sorry, couldn't resist)

Oooh, luvwaj, my favorite romantic EE ep (and favorite all time ep)is "Phantom at the Opera" from the first season. /sigh/ It's a real shame you had to get introduced to the show during the year of the spawn (otherwise known as season three). Just hang in there though, cause she'll be outta there in about a month or so (not too long after "Fate") and then you'll see some good season four eps. :)
MsSpider
05/10/01
This is my first post to the WAK board. I must say that I am liking the show a lot more than the first one. Joan has toned it down a bit and it seems to work for me. Kyle...well he's been perfect from the get go! :D

I do have sort of a question that keeps popping into my mind about the bedroom scene with Joan & Jake. How can I put this without sounding crass...I don't think I can...oh well. Okay, uh, Why would Jake...sleep over...just to sleep? Do you get my drift? I mean they haven't been dating that long, so if they aren't going to...do IT...don't most people retire to their own place? Or am I way out of touch here?
darbyross
05/10/01
I don't know about that MsSpider. Good question. It seems like he's probably paying a lot of rent for a place he doesnt stay in much. It's obvious from the last two eps he's spending the night. If he only has that little drawer does he carry a suitcase with him all the time? Shana I finally figured out where I had seen that Maeve chick before. She was in this awful movie "Jawbreakers" where she killed this girl by poking a big jawbreaker down her throat and then planted evidence to make it look like someone else did it. She also played in another movie I saw on HBO where she played a total slut. I guess that is a lot of the reason I really didn't like her and I thought she was too skanky for Jake to get so hot and bothered about. Now if it had been someone like Ashley Judd, I could understand. I know this might sound wierd but I think she is just one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. If I could look like anyone it would be her. I say that in a very heterosexual way. (God I hope that is the right word) LOL
shana93
05/10/01
MsSpider, glad to see you've meandered over here. :) That's a good question. I hadn't really thought about that, but it would make sense for him to go to his own apartment, since apparently, he didn't even have any clothes at Joan's. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I don't know why he just doesn't move right in. It would make more sense, since even in "The Proposal", he came back to Joan's to shower after working out (or whatever he was doing).
shana93
05/10/01
//Now if it had been someone like Ashley Judd, I could understand. I know this might sound wierd but I think she is just one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.//

That's funny, Dollene. My husband thinks she's the most beautiful woman ever too. He loves her almost as much as I love Kyle. ;)

I don't know the movie "Jawbreakers", and I doubt I saw that HBO movie. Hmmm, still can't figure out what I know her from.
abc981
05/10/01
That's a good question about why he would spend the night at Joan's for sleeping purposes only since none of his stuff seems to be there. Although even just sleeping with the guy would be nice....I'm sorry, where was I? ;)

Oh yeah, about him coming back there to shower in "The Proposal". You have to remember several of these episodes are being shown out of the order they were taped in. The Proposal was taped later in the season so maybe by that time he was able to get more than one little tiny drawer. :D I'm pretty sure "Maeve" was an earlier ep so it would make sense that he was still working his way into Joan's life--and apartment--little by little.

Do you guys remember the video clip on ABC's WAJ site where Kyle talks about marriage? He says since Joan is so reluctant about marriage, that maybe he can relax her little by little by doing little things like leaving his socks under the couch. Except in this case he left his socks in the kitchen drawer between the garlic press and something else. How romantic...
shana93
05/10/01
//You have to remember several of these episodes are being shown out of the order they were taped in. The Proposal was taped later in the season so maybe by that time he was able to get more than one little tiny drawer.//

Good point, Linda. I'd forgotten about that. Btw, I'm just loving this quote thing. LOL You guys may get sick of me soon. :D
MsSpider
05/10/01
The only thing 'real' or the techinical term is 'cannon' is how it is shown on tv not how it's taped. :D Because we have....most of us have no way of knowing in what order the shows were taped.
chuck-n-gary
05/10/01
Shana, the girl who played Maeve was also in the first "Scream" movie and I think I heard that she was in the movie "Monkeybone" last year (can't be sure of this, though. I never saw that movie)
Candii
05/11/01
//Candi, I guess I can't relate to Jake's reaction. I have worked with gorgeous guys before, but aside from being a little more shy around them at first, I was pretty much myself.//

Shana, maybe it's because I'm not involved with anyone right now is the reason I may have reacted that way to the new guy, I don't know. But I can still definitely say that I can relate to what Jake was probably feeling, which is why I thought that that scene of him making a total a*% out of himself was so funny!! It's not a very good feeling. I had to call my sister to ask advice as to what I should do. Remember Maeve was supposed to be a total knockout. Of course they over exaggerated Jake's reaction, (wiping hands on plant. But Ooo I loved the dropping of the burrito in the waste basket scene! He looked sooo cute! )
Joan over exaggerates in EVERYTHING that she does too, (breadstick in hair) although I too can relate to what she was feeling that night. She looked like she was in labor! :D

Shana, you are fortunate to have the lovable and caring husband that you have. He is one of a kind. :) He's married to you and committed to you. But Jake isn't married, which is probably why he reacted the way that he did. He's a man, still single and still a bachelor. It's all that he knows. He wants marriage, she doesn't. Can any of you tell me, ( married or not ) that if Kyle walked into the room right now, looked at you, and began talking to you, that you wouldn't be tongue tied, or feel giddy or say or do something stupid? I think we all have put Jake on this pedestal, thinking of him as this perfect guy, but he's only human. Remember he said that he was the guy he made fun of in the restaurants, making me wonder what type of guy he was before he met joan. ;) (Probably a real heart breaker) Maybe since being with joan, he has been so out of touch with how he used to be, that when this beautiful woman "unexpectedly", walked into the room he didn't know how to act. Seeing him fidget was funny, makes him more realistic to me. As long as he remains faithful to Joan.

abc981
05/11/01
//The only thing 'real' or the techinical term is 'cannon' is how it is shown on tv not how it's taped. Because we have....most of us have no way of knowing in what order the shows were taped.//

Good point! :) But in this case the episodes actually do seem to reflect a chronological order according to how they were taped. Apparently after ABC started airing them, they decided to rearrange the order for whatever reason.(?) One of the best ways to see that is in Mark & Betsy's relationship--they were actually already "married" in the episode Free Speech that was on a couple of weeks ago. But when it was aired out of order, there were changes made so it wasn't obvious to most of the viewers. Except for the fact that she was wearing her wedding ring!

I honestly think if we'd seen them in the order they were meant to be, we'd get a little better picture of the growth in Jake & Joan's relationship too. In some of the 'later' eps that have already been shown, their relationship seems more stable than early on when poor Joan was more insecure. Not that I'm complaining one little bit--I love seeing them no matter what order they're shown in!!

Sorry for the ramble, I think it's fascinating to see the little things that seem out of place. Like the lamp Joan's sister gave her or Betsy & Mark's on-again off-again engagement but that one's probably believable anyway. :D Maybe we could all get jobs in the continuity department.
abc981
05/11/01
//Shana, you are fortunate to have the lovable and caring husband that you have. He is one of a kind. //

I agree those kind of guys are far and few between but judging from a few of the married members of this list, there's more than one of them out there. :)
MsSpider
05/11/01
A lot of you mentioned Jake wiping his hands on the plant. Did you notice he broke off the leaf and stuck it in his pocket as he was talking to the 'ravishing?' Maeve? I wondered if Kyle did that or if he was told to? Another thing about the sleeping arrangements...IF I was worried about another woman moving in on my turf....I'd...ah..I wouldn't talk him to sleep that's for sure. He'd be so worn out....well ya all get my drift? :D
karens608
05/11/01
//A lot of you mentioned Jake wiping his hands on the plant. Did you notice he broke off the leaf and stuck it in his pocket as he was talking to the 'ravishing?' Maeve?//

I didn't notice it the first time I watched the scene, but I noticed it the second time, and I thought it was pretty funny. Someone(I think Shana)mentioned Ashley Judd, which I thought was interesting because I know that Kyle did a Broadway show called "Picnic" with Ashley Judd back in '94. You know , the whole time I was watching Maeve, I kept thinking how funny it would have been if she had been played by Constance Marie. That would have been a great inside joke for us EE fans. :)
abc981
05/11/01
After he stuck the leaf in his pocket, he asked Maeve what her approach was. He said it with a goofy little laugh, very funny!
Candii
05/11/01
I'm watching this episode again, (while I'm getting ready for work)
and I just love the look on Jake's face as Maeve is walking out of his office and she tells him to close his mouth! :D This guy is soooooo adorable!! The burrito scene is one that I keep rewinding and playing over and over again. So funny! :D Someone mentioned the shake that he did after the conference meeting, and I didn't see it the first time so I did some research ;) That was one move that I never saw Gary make and I loved it! So funny!! :D
shana93
05/11/01
//Shana, you are fortunate to have the lovable and caring husband that you have. He is one of a kind.//

Yes, I'm very blessed (I like that word better) and I know it. But like I said, my husband is a lot like Jake and that's why I compare them.

//But Jake isn't married, which is probably why he reacted the way that he did. He's a man, still single and still a bachelor.//

Let me just point out here that generally a man does not change his stripes just cause he's married. If he's a womanizer/flirt/dog (whichever word you choose) before marriage, he will most likely be one after. Jake has always been committed to Joan right from the beginning, and I don't think that scene with Mark from "The Proposal" was an exaggeration on his part. The exaggeration came when he met Maeve and it was totally out of character, IMHO. This is not wishful thinking, nor have I put Jake on a pedestal. I'm quite sure he has faults, as every human does. In fact, I could point out a few. ;) And comparing his reaction to Maeve to the way any of us would react to Kyle is comparing apples to oranges. It's just not the same thing. As Linda pointed out, this is a man we've been obsess....focusing on for a long time. If I didn't know who he was, and I met him in person, sure I would think he was gorgeous and I'd probably be quite hormonal on the inside, but on the outside, I think I'd be pretty normal (normal for me, anyway) But I'm a pretty composed person in general. :D
abc981
05/11/01
Shana, I'm so glad you said that about a man not changing his stripes just because he's married. That's exactly what I was thinking but couldn't quite figure out how to say it. Thanks. If I remind myself that Jake's initial reaction to Maeve was done for laughs and that that's not how the *real* Jake would react in a situation like that, then I can enjoy the humor in it a lot more. Does that make any sense? (Before you write me off as totally crazy I do realize this a TV show and these characters are fictional.) ;)
shana93
05/11/01
//If I remind myself that Jake's initial reaction to Maeve was done for laughs and that that's not how the *real* Jake would react in a situation like that, then I can enjoy the humor in it a lot more.//

Thanks Linda, I needed that. LOL I think I'm taking this whole thing way too seriously (which I have a tendency to do). :D
karens608
05/11/01
//If I remind myself that Jake's initial reaction to Maeve was done for laughs and that that's not how the *real* Jake would react in a situation like that, then I can enjoy the humor in it a lot more.//

That's the way I look at it, too. I loved the scene from The Proposal between Jake and Mark("Did you ever..." "No.")because it shows how sure Jake is of his feelings for Joan, but I just can't help laughing at his reaction to Maeve when she comes into his office. For a newbie, I think Kyle is very good at doing comedy.
reaness
05/11/01
Hi everybody. I think I will put my two cents in on this espoide. Well I totally loved this one. I agree that his reaction toward Maeve in his office was a little out of character, but like Candi said he only human and theirs no guarantee that Joan wouldn't have acted the same way if a good looking man had walked in her class room. The ending was so good. It was so adorable how he pull her closer to him when she started to pull away. The part that he was in the bed with Ross was so funny and yes I also wonder how he got away from her. I'll not sure who said this but I have to agee with that he grabed some of his clothe, told Maeve she could stay, but I'm leaving. and took off out of there like no body's business. Anyway at the end he stay faithful to Joan and isn't that all that matters in the end. :D
TobMar
05/11/01
These are the type of episodes that I love!! :) - where the story line goes deeper, leading to alot of discussion - 90 posts. "Mauve", in my opinion anyway, brought out the fact that no one is perfect, even in a so-called perfect relationship. Starting with Joan, she came face to face with a problem many women have, when they are involved with a so-called perfect man. Joan was terrified that she might not be able to hold on to him if an equally perfect, glamorous woman came along. Jake, on the other hand, felt like a piece of meat at the hotel. Even if he was not in a relationship, I doubt if he would have willingly jumped into bed with Mauve. Jake was well aware that Mauve wanted him for entertainment purposes only. He was resentful because she was pulling all of her little tricks to get him excited. Going one step further, if it were reversed, and Joan was in the hotel, and a man dropped his robe, the police would have been there in five minutes to arrest him. Society has made it out that men love to be seduced all of the time by anyone. Jake, in his somewhat, trying not to hurt her feelings way, was showing us that he wasn't going to play society's little game.
Newf65
05/11/01
I'm a little late in commenting, but I got to the board really late, and WOW all these posts! Anyhoo, the Jake and Ross in bed thing....I have a funny "band" story of my husband's... Ah, he and another friend in the Jr. College Jazz Band were tired out on their trip to St. Louis. Most of the members spent the day at Six Flags; my husband and his friend stayed in the hotel and watched B movies all afternoon. One of the other band members returned to the room later, saw them on the bed together (smoking cigarettes), and remarked, "It looks like you guys just
*@#$*! each other!" So, yes, sometimes heterosexual guys DO spend time in the same bed. They weren't ashamed until the other guy pointed out to them what it looked like. I know, it's not the same as sleeping in the same bed all night, but I could see it happening. As far as the Jake staying over and no hanky panky, well, sometimes it's just plain more convenient to do so. You never know, some nights it just may work out better that way. Who knows how far he'd have to drive (if he drove) back to his apartment. I know how many times I didn't feel like driving home. All I know is that he can put his socks in between my garlic press and corn cob holders anytime!
Candii
05/12/01
LOL! Yes Shana, you and every other woman on this board who are married are very blessed to have the caring and sweet husbands that you have. Blessed does sound better. :)

//Let me just point out here that generally a man does not change his stripes just cause he's married. If he's a womanizer/flirt/dog (whichever word you choose) before marriage, he will most likely be one after.//

Howzat??????

Shana, I feel that just because Jake reacted the way that he did, doesn't make him a bad person or any different from the kind of person that he *is*. As far as being out of character with how he acted, well, he's only human, sometimes feelings /emotions /hormones or whatever we want to call it arise and causes us do things that we normally wouldn't do. Remember Jake said in the first episode that he was the guy he *made fun* of in restaurants. AFter he met joan I suppose he changed? I don't know. We can all draw our own conclusions as to what he might have meant by that remark.

As much as I enjoyed that little speech Jake gave in the Proposal ;) pant! pant! hubba! hubba! I found his actions and personality in that episode to be out of character with the Jake from the first two episodes. It just didn't seem like the Jake that I had grown to like. Also is Jake the type of guy that would be turned on by some dancer who would have the nerve to be wearing a striped tube top that would be making her not made by God's chest look even bigger? :O :D

I was telling my best friend about the show and that scene with Maeve in Jakes office, and she told me that something like that had happened to her. She had gone to lunch at this restaurant and after finishing lunch, she went to the counter to pay. She had her head down and was looking for change in her purse. When she looked up, she was staring into the most beautiful pair of eyes she had ever seen. She said that at that point she totally lost it. She started dropping change all over the place and just could not seem to get the money into the guy's hand. She was stuttering and was acting like a total idiot couldn't wait to get out of there, almost bumped into a pole on the way out. :D Can't explain it! Maybe someone can. LOL!!

Anyway,I can't explain why I reacted that way to the new guy. My friend can't explain her reaction either. She's a very strong and confident person, but it happened to her. Maybe someone can explain this reaction.Is there a name for this? Are we going too deep with this? LOL!! What I'm trying to say is that no one is perfect, we all know that. Jake's not perfect either. To me, because I can relate, I found his reaction believable. Over exaggerated of course (the wiping of hands on the plant/stuffing it in pocket....humm.. although it's quite possible that that kind of reaction could happen too.) LOL!! :D I think I'll go watch it again.

Candii
05/12/01
//So, yes, sometimes heterosexual guys DO spend time in the same bed. They weren't ashamed until the other guy pointed out to them what it looked like. I know, it's not the same as sleeping in the same bed all night, but I could see it happening.//

Wow! It seems as if EVERYTHING I comment about gets totally knocked down. :( I was the one who questioned how realistic was it for a man to crawl into bed with another man (at last minutes notice) for the night. Obviously realistic wasn't the right choice of a word to use, but I would think that a man would probably have chosen to bunk down on the floor for the night rather than crawl into bed with another big, muscular, smelly, (doesn't have to be a bad smell for those of you who has something to say about that) ;) hairy, scruffy, snoring man. I gave my brother the scenario and right away he said, that he would have chosen the floor, best friend or not. LOL !! :D Anyway, never mind. :)
Newf65
05/12/01
Ah, I wasn't trying to knock ya down, but it was a chance to tell that goofy story of mine... :)
Candii
05/12/01
//and rather than crawl into bed with another big, muscular, smelly, hairy, scruffy, snoring man.//

LOL!! :D I forgot to add that those were my brothers's words. You would have thought that he was describing Big Foot or something! :D

Newf65, it was a funny story, :) and sorry if I came across too sensitive, it was late and I was tired.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0022.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com