And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: Ruby Doobie Do

Author
05/15/01
I think that's what it's called. Okay, how many EE moments were in the first ten minutes: the hand snaking out to shut off the alarm, cold leftover pizza for breakfast, a head scratch. :D

And ooooh that kiss was absolutely delicious. Oh my gosh, that lucky Joan.

I have to add here, that Joan looks absolutely stunning in this ep.

Adding to my coments, I laughed so hard over Joan and Alice's performance that I had tears rolling down my face and I was snorting and squeaking. :D And Jake had such a beautiful smile through the whole thing. /sigh/
darbyross
05/15/01
I know! Wasn't that smile wonderful? My favorite part was after the big build up that Betsy gave Mark about his performance. To actually see it was.....well excruciating. LOL When he said if you keep that up I won't leave the stage and everyone stopped really quick. I laughed so hard I think I pulled something. I thought the beginning was funny when Joan was overanalyzing and Jake sat there with this amused smile on his face. If the alarm clock had said 6:30 Iwould have freaked. I thought it was very gary like when he came home and quickly spoke to Joan without looking at her. What ep in EE did he do that. I can picture him but not what ep it was from. I think his parents were in it. Oh well wrong board anyway. LOL
abc981
05/15/01
I thought it was fabulous too!!! We were so busy watching to see what was cut out from the taping plus our goofy dog was choking so I really need to watch this again. LOL

Shana, the scene with Joan & Alice was done twice (as were all of the scenes) and they did it a little differently both times. But they were both hilarious!! :D And even though we saw Donna Murphy do that song twice at the taping, she still blew me away tonight. Wow!!! I thought Joan looked really great in this one too. :)

I'll try and remember all the parts that were cut and fill you in later. But at least most of them weren't Kyle's parts. :)
abc981
05/15/01
//I thought the beginning was funny when Joan was overanalyzing and Jake sat there with this amused smile on his face. If the alarm clock had said 6:30 Iwould have freaked. //

One of the lines that was cut: When Jake says he doesn't feel like running, Joan knew there was something wrong because there had only been two times since she's known him that he didn't run. One was when his BMW was stolen and the other was when his mother got rid of something of his--I can't for the life of me remember what it was she got rid of. Maybe someone else from our group will remember.

I hope I don't bug you guys to death with little details that were cut.
darbyross
05/15/01
Are you kidding Linda? I love hearing all the behind the scenes details. :) I'm just sad they cut the A-loe line. I was so looking forward to that. :(
shana93
05/15/01
Linda, Ruby's performance blew me away too. But I was still laughing so hard over Joan and Alice, that I didn't fully appreciate it. I'll just *have* to watch it again. /sigh/ ;) And I for one love to hear all the little details that didn't end up in the final version. :)

I really think this was the best/funniest ep yet. My husband said to me, "You haven't laughed that hard in a long time". :D And I just love Joan now. She's won me over.
abc981
05/15/01
I didn't know who Donna Murphy was before the taping so I had no idea she could sing. Believe me, that whole studio was in awe both times she did that song. I wasn't sure if they would leave the audience applause in the final show or not since there were only a couple of people actually in the lounge when she sang. I was happy to see that they left it in. :)

The aloe thing Dollene mentioned was from the scene in Ruby's office when Jake goes to the closet to get her more kleenex. In the uncut version, he asks her if she wants aloe or regular. In the second take of that scene he mispronounced that word aloe, saying a-loe with a long "a". They kept right on filming the scene and no one even acknowleded he said it wrong until the scene was over. Then our host/comedian for the evening had a fun time with the word "aloe" after that. :D I don't know what Kyle was thinking! Maybe having his wife there was distracting.
luvwaj
05/15/01
Oh wow-- this ep was great!! Donna Murphy is amazing, really--WAJ is lucky to have her, this has to be the most talented cast going right now-bar none.

Oh my, where oh where to begin?! How about with that KISS that I cannot get out of my head, and that I'm going to go watch again, and again, and again, until I fall asleep dreaming that I'm Joan Cusack and on the receiving end of it. Whoo-boy!! Slurp, THUD!!! The way he just came at her and kinda pinned her to the door with just his lips (AIYEEEEE!!!), and the look on Joan's face...LMAO, it was almost orgasmic!! I was rolling!!

I also loved Joan's histrionic story about what would happen if Jake didn't work out his problem and talk to somebody, Joan got him so wrapped up in her horrific drama, he was out the door to see Ruby like a shot! LOLOL!!

By the way, I agree with whoever said Joan looked really good tonight-- like I said before, her figure is knockout, and it makes me wonder if her gradual appearance change has less to do with my theory about the real life Joan's loss of baby weight, and was actually a planned thing, to show Joan's increasing confidence as a sexy, attractive woman who's got a man that loves her unconditionally.

She's gone from shapeless clothes to form fitting ones, that really flatter her figure, and the way she carries herself seems a bit different as well. I keep remembering Joan's hilarious and pleaful line to Jake, "help me be hot!!" LOL-- well....I think he's helping, it really shows!! ;) Yum.

By the way, on a related note-- we learn how "Sex Talk," really hit home for the real life Joan. There's a blurb on her in one of the tabloids (sorry don't know which one--I think it was The Star or Globe), where she says that she grew up in a staunchly Catholic family, and that her parents would never discuss sexual things with the kids. She says she grew up cloistered and embarassed about sex, said she had a bit of a hard time trying to look sexy, and would get red in the face at the drop of a hat over things, even dirty jokes. Of course now she thinks sex is great--LOLOL!!

Brings to mind the "Wahnka, Wahnka, wahnka!!!" scene from "Sex talk," where she's telling Jake how hard that whole discussion has been for her and also, the talking to the coat hanger scene....she was just so funny and cute, yet completely and totally mortified in front of Jake--reading that tablod blurb, I bet she might have felt a little residual embarassment which is why she was so damned hilarious.

Okay...enough of my prattle, going to watch my tape of tonight's show...aahhhh, VCR's. What a wonderful invention. LMAO!
abc981
05/16/01
There was a conversation at the dinner table in Joan's apartment that was cut out completely. Jake walks in late and avoids looking at Joan. Then Mark says, "Good, you're here..." That's when the missing conversation actually took place. Mark and Betsy are talking about what they do when they go on vacation. They check into a hotel and go to their room. After "checking out" the room, ;) then they complain that they're not happy with the room and get their money back. During this conversation, Joan is waiting on everyone and Jake is still avoiding her gaze. That's when she finally says she wants to see him in the bedroom for a second. As they head for the bedroom, Mark makes a comment about how they must be giving Joan & Jake ideas. :D

In the finished show tonight, they cut right from Jake sitting down at the table to Joan asking to see him in the other room. It's too bad they couldn't have left the middle part in too. Jake avoiding Joan during the dinner conversation made a very funny scene even funnier. I say the show should be an hour!!

I might as well finish this post with the rest of the scene that was cut. After the yummy kiss and Joan decides she needs to leave to go to Ruby's right away she walked back through the living room/dining room and tells the rest of the gang she has to go. She tells Alice she can get a ride home with Mark & Betsy. Alice, who was very digusted by M & B's dinner conversation, jumps up and quickly grabs her coat so she can go with Joan even though it's out of her way and she'll have to walk part of the way. :D
TerriRuth
05/16/01
Linda, I love reading about the stuff that's missing. I wish they'd cut out some of the commericals so we could have more show. I agree Joan looked really good in this one and she is dressing more "sexy." I guess I've been married too long now, I've got a man who loves me unconditionally and instead of dressing better I've gotten worse. Maybe I need to take a tip from Joan and spruce up my wardrobe.
shana93
05/16/01
Linda, thanks for posting all that. It's nice to have the inside scoop on what was cut. :)
abc981
05/16/01
It was great to see the kiss up close but if they had kept the camera back a ways you would have seen Joan hike her leg up beside Jake's and him running his hand along her thigh while they were kissing. I don't think there's a smiley face to adequately describe that one!

They had some trouble with the alarm in that opening scene causing Kyle & Joan to be lying there in silence for a while waiting for the alarm to go off. After a long silence and still no alarm, Kyle quietly said "so a string walks into a bar..." while still staring at the ceiling. The guy is too cute. :)
shana93
05/16/01
//It was great to see the kiss up close but if they had kept the camera back a ways you would have seen Joan hike her leg up beside Jake's and him running his hand along her thigh while they were kissing.//

Oh my! :O I'm suddenly feeling very warm. Darn that camera man! What was he thinking?
karens608
05/16/01
Boy, the problem with not being able to get into the discussion until the next morning is trying to remember everything that everyone else commented on that I want to comment on. Here goes. :)

//I think that's what it's called. Okay, how many EE moments were in the first ten minutes: the hand snaking out to shut off the alarm, cold leftover pizza for breakfast, a head scratch.//

I don't know if this would count as an EE moment, but I did a double take when Jake made the comment about moving an armoire up to Ruby's loft because Gary keeps his clothes in an armoire, and of course, he lives in a loft.

I thought it seemed like something was missing from the scene when Joan said there were only two times since she'd known Jake that he'd skipped running; I was expecting her to say what those times were.

I also got a kick out of Jake's amused smile while he was watching Joan go through that lengthy story about what would happen if he didn't talk to someone about his problem.

Linda, I nearly did a spit-take when I read your post about what Kyle and Joan were doing during the kiss; what I wouldn't give to see that! :D And luvwaj, if you liked that kiss, you ain't seen nothing yet. There are a couple of episodes of EE where Gary gets to do some serious kissing, and all I can say is: I want to be on the receiving end of those kisses! :D

And Donna's singing! Oh, my, can she sing! I wonder if she has a background in musical theater? I would have to believe that with a voice like that, that she has to have sung professionally.

I think that's all the comments I wanted to make, at least for now. :D
Candii
05/16/01
LOL!! :D What a funny episode! I enjoyed Joan in this one. She did look good and I was actually rolling on the floor crying during her little scenario about what would happen to Jake if he continued to refuse psychological help. :D So funny! My mother peeked her head in my room to see what I was crying about. :D I kept rewinding the tape to play that part over and over again. I even timed it. Her whole scenario lasts about 1 min and 43 seconds. :D

I thought there were quite a few of things that reminded me of EE in this episode too.When Joan got to the part about the "mistake" being named, Dutch, LOL!! I swear I thought she was going to say that the baby was named Zeke! :D

//I thought it seemed like something was missing from the scene when Joan said there were only two times since she'd known Jake that he'd skipped running; I was excepting her to say what those times were.//

Karen, I was waiting for Joan to say what those two things were too. I wonder why they cut that part out.

Did anybody notice Jake's little pout in the opening scene?

Although Kyle looks good all the time, I thought Jake/Kyle looked especially good in this one. I love how he looks in a suit. ;)

Jakes mannerisms reminded me soooo much of Gary in this episode. /sigh/ I just loved his reaction (his little double take) as he opened the cabinet to get Ruby a box of Kleenex to find it filled to the ceiling with nothing but boxes of tissues. LOL!! I think someone mentioned (in the taped version) that Jake asked Ruby if she wanted aloe or regular or something like that. It would have been hilarious it they had left that part in. :D LOL!!

Kyle is very funny and I hope that the people out there will take notice and that he's recognized when Emmy time roles around. I know Joan will be.

The toe curling kiss, Ruby's voice, Jakes expressions, I enjoyed this episode.
shana93
05/16/01
Karen, I believe I read somewhere that Donna Murphy's background is in theatre, and that she's been quite a success on Broadway. I had never heard of her before WAK, but I don't really follow theatre. But her performance last night was amazing. I laughed so hard when the piano player said, "Holy crap!". :D
karens608
05/16/01
Shana, that "holy crap" line cracked me up, too. :D You know, maybe we'll get lucky and the blooper special on ABC Sunday night will have something from WAJ. I'd love to see that stuff that Linda said they cut out.
shana93
05/16/01
There goes that ESPN again, Karen. I was just thinking the same thing about the blooper show, wondering if they would show Kyle mispronouncing "aloe". :D
karens608
05/16/01
You know, it's funny about the aloe thing, because on EE last night, Gary twice pronounced Italian as "Eye-talian" and he also mis-pronounced "Geraldo". :)
luvwaj
05/16/01
//It was great to see the kiss up close but if they had kept the camera back a ways you would have seen Joan hike her leg up beside Jake's and him running his hand along her thigh while they were kissing. I don't think there's a smiley face to adequately describe that one!//

AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! THUD!!!! That would have demolished me-- why in God's name wouldn't they have left THAT in??!! Wow....every woman watching would have been on the floor moaning! I'm lovin these excised scene thingies "abc," so please keep em' coming. By the way-- did the two of them do that in only a couple of takes (the kissing scene)?? -- I know if it were me, I would have repeatedly messed up, so I could do it again and again! ;)

Hey Karen!! Thanks for the EE kissing episodes tips! What are the names of the eps where Gary is smootching so divinely--I want to be on the lookout for them! Yum. But please, please, please (!!!)-- don't tell me it's "spawn," he's kissing in these episodes (LOL, I've been picking up the nicknames you guys use for...you know who..heh). I don't think I could stomach it. What a waste of Kyle's lips.
karens608
05/16/01
//What are the names of the eps where Gary is smootching so divinely--I want to be on the lookout for them! Yum. But please, please, please (!!!)-- don't tell me it's "spawn," he's kissing in these episodes (LOL, I've been picking up the nicknames you guys use for...you know who..heh). I don't think I could stomach it. What a waste of Kyle's lips.//

LOL! Don't worry, luvwaj, it's not spawn; unfortunately there are a couple of episodes where Gary kisses her, but they're nothing to write home about, and since I don't like her either, I wouldn't have mentioned them even if they were spectacular. :D

Two of the episodes are first season episodes and both involve the same woman. One is called The Paper and the other one is His Girl Thursday. The other one is a fourth season episode titled The Iceman Taketh and I timed it (yes, I timed it) :) at over 30 seconds. Oh, to have been in that actress' shoes! /sigh/ What I want to know, though, is what was Kyle's wife thinking while she was watching Kyle and Joan doing that! :O

shana93
05/16/01
luvwaj, the best EE kisses are from two eps of season one, "The Paper", and "His Girl Thursday". At the rate FFC is going though, it'll be about 100 years or so before they get back to season one, if they do at all. :( There's also another great kiss and almost kiss from season four's "The Iceman Taketh" (which Karen loves). ;) But those two kissings scenes from season one are the most hormone charging. Whew!! Even hotter than that Jake/Joan kiss last night. ;) And no, he doesn't kiss the spawn in those eps. We only had to endure a spawn kiss twice, once in a Gary dream, and one actual kiss between the two characters which was so awful that we theorize that Kyle had his face shielded by an ugly hat, so that the viewers would not see the expression of horror and distaste he wore. What other reason could there be for that awful hat? :D
shana93
05/16/01
LOL Karen, we must've been posting at the same time. It's that ESPN again. :D
karens608
05/16/01
Boy, Shana, there goes that ESPN thing again! :D You and I were apparently typing our responses at the same time, because I was quite surprised when I posted mine and saw that you had said pretty much the same thing I did. :D BTW, luvwaj, if you're wondering about the ESPN references, it's an EE inside joke. There's an episode of EE where Gary's father says ESPN when he means ESP and we've taken to using it the same way.
abc981
05/16/01
//AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! THUD!!!! //

Are you okay?! I realized after I sent that post that maybe I should have put a warning on it just for you. ;)

Yes, they only did the kissing scene twice. Most of the scenes were done twice. Sometimes they would do a third shot of someone's reaction to what was going on. For example, in the teacher's lounge they went through it twice, then a third take was done with only Alice so they could focus on her reactions to the conversation. Someone off camera read the other actors' parts.

They also did a third take in Ruby's office after the "aloe" thing and re-did the part of the conversation where Kyle actually used that word. :D

Joan's long speech was done a few times too. They had trouble with the refrigerator door staying shut at the right time. :D She did that speech a little different each time through but it was hilarious every time. One of the times they stopped in the middle and started over which started a continuity frenzy over where everything was supposed to be at that moment. Kyle was asking whether he had the tobasco sauce opened yet or not. No one answered him so finally he mumbled "I guess no one cares about me and my tobasco sauce" or something to that effect. Poor baby.
abc981
05/16/01
I think Donna Murphy has wone two Tony awards. :)

// I was waiting for Joan to say what those two things were too. I wonder why they cut that part out. //

I'm sure it was edited out because there just wasn't room for everything. There was a lot of dialogue here and there that was cut from the final show. For me it was sort of like watching the condensed Readers Digest version after having seen the long version first.

BTW, the two times were 1) when his BMW was stolen and 2) when his mother told him his dog had died. (That second reason seems to be the general consensus of the others that were at the same taping!)

shana93
05/16/01
//Kyle was asking whether he had the tobasco sauce opened yet or not. No one answered him so finally he mumbled "I guess no one cares about me and my tobasco sauce" or something to that effect. Poor baby.//

LOL Yes, poor baby. We care, don't we? ;) It's nice to see that he was trying to prevent one of those continuity errors that we focused fans are so fond of pointing out.
abc981
05/16/01
One of the other gals in the group that went to the taping made a list of the scenes that were cut from Ruby Doobie Doo. She posted it to the WAJ yahoo group. You can read it there if you're a member or I'd be happy to email it to you if you'd like.

//What I want to know, though, is what was Kyle's wife thinking while she was watching Kyle and Joan doing that! //

Joan's husband was there that night too. Maybe he and Kyle's wife watched together!

karens608
05/16/01
//Joan's husband was there that night too. Maybe he and Kyle's wife watched together!//

I was wondering about that! That reminds me of when Joan was on The Tonight Show a few weeks ago and Jay said something to the effect that she could tell her husband that it's strictly business when she has to kiss a good-looking guy like Kyle. (When she mentioned that Kyle played her boyfriend, Jay actually commented that he's a good-looking guy.)
chuck-n-gary
05/16/01
I loved every minute of last night's episode!!! :) I actually think we got to see more reaction shots of Kyle than in any other ep so far(I say the more, the merrier). :D

Didn't someone on the EE board say they would have loved to have seen Gary sing Puff the Magic Dragon to a child? That's the first thing I thought of when I heard Mark singing it last night. :D
Candii
05/16/01
So did we ever find out why Jake was in a "funk?"
shana93
05/16/01
Ya know, I just realized that Linda had already started this topic. I don't know where my head was.

I'm wondering what caused Jake's funk as well. Was that something they cut, or did they never say?
MsSpider
05/16/01
I was wondering about Jake's funk. It seemed to have been forgotten. Which was weird because that's what the show started on.
abc981
05/17/01
//I'm wondering what caused Jake's funk as well. Was that something they cut, or did they never say? //

No they never said. His funk wasn't really supposed to be the focus of the episode. Like he said to Joan, he'd come out of it okay on his own but he agreed to go see Ruby just to make Joan happy. It was basically a plot device to get to Ruby and her problem. :) Besides, when he went back to Joan's apartment after his visit with Ruby, he looked like he was in pretty good shape to me.
Macredd
05/17/01
This is the first I've been able to get here, so I'm a little late in the game. Everyone has already touched on the parts of the episode I liked- actually, there wasn't a bad or slow part. Even my husband was mesmerized from start to finish. When we saw the cold pizza and tobasco sauce we were amazed. How many times have I said Kyle reminds me of my hubby? Andy cracked up and said something about taking the boy out of Buffalo, but not being able to take the Buffalo out of the boy. And Donna Murphy's performance, all I can say is WOW!

Oh, and to whomever shared the tidbit about where Jake's hand was during that kiss, that was just plain cruel... :)
shana93
05/18/01
I was just watching this ep again, and I knew there was another EE moment I forgot about the first time I saw it. Right at the beginning, Jake says, "God is a cockney flower girl?". Was anyone else thinking, "Yeah, God's a cosmic paper boy?" :D
karens608
05/18/01
//Right at the beginning, Jake says, "God is a cockney flower girl?". Was anyone else thinking, "Yeah, God's a cosmic paper boy?"//

No, I didn't, but now I will. :D
reaness
05/18/01
I just enjoyed this esposide I also found a EE ralated thing too that wasn't mention. It's when after that delicious kiss, :) that Joan figure out that Ruby is in trouble. It's a line that Jake says to Joan that Gary always said to Marissa when ever she seem to know thing. The line was How do you do that? All I could think of was there's Gary. I also thought that Ruby's singing was great. Donna is a great talent. This esposide was really good.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0023.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com