And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: Snow Globe

Author
05/14/01
I was watching Romancing the Throne yesterday, and the snow globe that Gary buys Lowe is defintitely identical to the one seen at the beginning of WAJ. Interesting coincidence, huh? Maybe a leftover from the EE prop department?
abc981
05/14/01
I think that snow globe is the same one that's found in a lot of the souvenir type shops in Chicago so maybe it's just a really cool coincidence, Karen. :) Either way, it's a nice touch!
karens608
05/14/01
You know, I've been playing tourist in Chicago the last couple weekends, and I actually tried to find a sonw globe like that, but no luck. All I've been able to find are cheap, plastic ones, and that one looks like a nice glass one. I know it's Joan's show, not Kyle's, but I keep hoping for EE inside jokes. I don't know if Jake's "I was reading the paper" in Maeve or Jake holding a copy of the Sun-Times in Joan's Sister Visits were supposed to be, but I would love a more obvious one.
abc981
05/14/01
Did you try Navy Pier? They had a pretty nice one at one of the shops when we were there in December.
karens608
05/14/01
I did go to Navy Pier; maybe I didn't look in all the shops or didn't look enough in the ones I was in.
abc981
05/14/01
Some of the Navy Pier shops had the little cheap plastic snow globes. But there was one place that had a nicer one for $30 or $40. I don't remember the name of it though and I'm not sure if it was exactly like the one on EE/WAJ. I'm sorry I'm not much help!
karens608
05/14/01
Well, I don't know if I necessarily want to buy one; I was just curious to see if I could find one. But thanks for the info, though!
TobMar
05/14/01
Oh, yes, when I saw the snow globe, I thought, maybe it was Kyle's idea to put it in his new show! Somehow I have the feeling that he is reading our messages, and by inserting clues, it is his way of letting us know that he is aware that we are still here. :) There are certainly a large number of insider jokes that we are seeing more and more of. While we are on the subject of insider jokes, I thought about the scene in "Angels Dance" when Kyle walks into Jim Bulushi's house the first time and notices a silly looking plant display full of sand. Kyle asked Jim if he owned a cat, and they both laughed in a funny quiet way. Well, back to WAJ/WAK, Kyle, if you are reading this, thank you!! thank you!! thank you!! Keep the Early Edition references coming!!! :D
shana93
05/14/01
Karen, I noticed the snow globe too last night. I recognized that it was the same by the little sailboat inside. :)

Linda, you said $30-$40 huh? Geez, and Gary was complaining about paying $10.
karens608
05/14/01
/Somehow I have the feeling that he is reading our messages, and by inserting clues, it is his way of letting us know that he is aware that we are still here./

When Kyle was on Regis and made that "What About Kyle" comment, I was pretty much convinced that he must read our messages, because we started calling the show "What About Kyle" as soon as we heard it was going to be called "What About Joan", and it just seemed like too much of a coincidence.
karens608
05/14/01
//I recognized that it was the same by the little sailboat inside.//

I didn't notice a sailboat in it, Shana; I recognized it because it had the same buildings in it.
shana93
05/14/01
Yeah, there's a little sailboat in the front on the right hand side. You'll probably notice it tomorrow on WAK if you're looking. Btw, I would never have recognized it from the buildings. Good eye!
karens608
05/14/01
Btw, I would never have recognized it from the buildings. Good eye!/

Well, it probably helps to be from the Chicago area, because 4 of the 5 buildings I recognized easily from their shapes; I have no idea what the other one is, though.
springfever
05/15/01
I have a snowglobe I bought from Macy's this past Christmas that features the NY Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade floats and the storefront. It's kind of similar to the one in the credits of WAJ- not identical. It's possible the one they use on the show could have been from one of the Chicago department stores-i.e Marshall Fields, or a Macy's in Chicago. There were also other cities to pick from- Boston, Philadelphia, but no Chicago.
Newf65
05/17/01
/Somehow I have the feeling that he is reading our messages, and by inserting clues, it is his way of letting us know that he is aware that we are still here./

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but in an interview a few weeks back on WCKG a Chicago talk station, Kyle said with an emphatic NO that he didn't go to any of his website stuff. It sounded like his friends tell him about it. I'll have to post the exact quote later, but he sounded if the whole idea of people talking about him and posting messages freaks him out a bit. Can't say I blame him. It is pretty weird if you think about it. ;)
abc981
05/17/01
I agree, Monica, it would be kind of freaky. I have a feeling that most actors don't follow this kind of stuff so I'm not surprised that he wouldn't either. If you get a chance to post that quote, that'd be great.
Newf65
05/18/01
Ok, here goes, I COULD transcribe the whole interview for ya if you guys twist my arm, but here's the part that's relevant to the "does he read this?" question:

CKG: Have you been to Kyle Chandler.com?
KC: No, I have have heard, no, no I have not.
CKG: Do you know what it's all about?
KC: Um, if it's the same one that people have,friends of mine have told me about, I've, yes. All kinds of strange things.
CKG: It's a San Diego real estate guy.
KC: (short laugh)Oh really?
CKG: It's, it's a realtor, Kyle Chandler. It's got an old guy with his wife and his kid.
KC: Are you serious?
CKG: Yeah, that's Kyle and he's about 65.
KC: Are you serious? Really, oh that's hilarious.
CKG: Kyle Chandler Prudential California Realty up in San Diego.
KC: OHHH that's great.
CKG: I'm thinkin' I'll buy a house from him.
KC: I've heard of other ones, of other shows that I've done; people tell me about 'em and they're sort of spooky.
CKG: Like dirty stuff?
KC: Well, no, it's just just strange people leaving strange messages and what have you.

How's THAT for candid? The interview is one of the best I've heard with him. Totally not rehearsed (funny stuff happens with his dog) and very down to earth. And that website really IS that old real estate guy (as most of us who have done web searches certainly know!). Let me know if you want me to transcribe the whole thing! It may take a little while, but it's worth it!
abc981
05/18/01
Thanks Monica! That puts a little different perspective on the whole list thing, doesn't it?!

I, for one, would love to read the whole interview if you're willing to transcribe it. But then again, I don't want Kyle to think we're spooky or anything.
shana93
05/18/01
Thanks Monica!! I'd love to read the whole thing too. :)
Newf65
05/18/01
Ok. You guys twisted my arm. Here I had this wonderful plan to clean the house today, and now I have to transcribe the interview...such a chore, I guess I'll have to put the cleaning off 'til later. ;) It'll take a bit, so be patient everyone! :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0024.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com