And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: WCKG Interview - FM 105.9, Chicago, April 9, 2001

Author
05/20/01
Ok, here it is, and it's REALLY LONG! Here are the players:
Kyle Chandler= K:
Pete McMurray= P:

Pete has two sidekicks and I don't know their names (don't listen to talkradio- even if it is my town), so they'll be referred to as I2 who is a woman, and I3 who is a man.

They opened the interview with a tape of Kyle calling the station:

K: Hey, Pete McMurray, it's Kyle...Chandler. Um, let's see, I don't know who I'm supposed to talk to here, but listen, I think we're gonna do a we're I think, gonna do a phone interview. Ah, if you wanna give me a call and let me know what time I should give you guys a call; I think I was told but of course I lost it. Uuhh, ah no it might be at six o'clock, if you could confirm that with me give me the number I could call that'd be great so...uh, let me know. Maybe if I'm not even doin' it maybe you got...I don't know who else, you know...

P: Well, I just don't know, I I don't know. He stars as "Jake" on What About Joan Tuesday nights on ABC, it's Kyle Chandler. Kyle?

K: Alright. You never called me back!

P: (laughs) Well, you ended up calling the hotline like at ten to eleven right before the show was over.

K: Well, I'm trying to plug this show a little bit and I just get no respect everywhere I turn.

P: Hey, hey, you get respect here!

K: Oh, well, I mean yeah, here you get respect nowhere else.

P: Yes, yes

K: Good evening, how're ya doin'?

P: I'm doin' great and I told you the other night I love the show, and I think you and Joan have a certain chemistry that's workin' well.

K: Yeah, hopefully so, hopefully so. People seem to be tunin' in.

P: Well, have you ever done comedy before?

K: Uh, not like this. I've never done a s..a half-hour show before.

P: And how did you decide to do this? You were doing Early Edition in Chicago, next thing you know, you tell us, "Well, you know, I could have another project in Chicago, but I don't know about it.." then next thing you know, you're doing a sitcom.

K: Yeah, well, I had heard for a couple of years, that uh at least for a year or so, that this thing might be coming into town, and uh it was after Early Edition was off the air (sound of a dog growling LOUDLY)that that I finally heard...

P: You ok? What was...

K: Nah, I'm I'm ah I'm outside and the dog is in the shed.

P: Oh my God, that's your DOG?

I2: In your shed?

K: Yeah, I collect all the dogs in the neighborhood and put 'em in the shed.

ALL: laughs

K: Um, see ah, so I I asked my uh people about it and finally I found out there was an audition and I went in and I read with Joan and uh uh we went in there and I had my lines memorized and she didn't and she kept jumping my lines and I I said, at one point I said, "Well, are you ever going to let me say what I'm supposed to say?" and she said (doing his best sassy Joan imitation) "No."

ALL: laugh

K: That was sort of the beginning of a good time right there.

P: Alright. So who else auditioned for this, besides you?

K: Um, I don't know who the other guys were.

P: Yeah.

K: Not quite sure.

P: Well good for you.

K: As far as I know, I don't know how they did it. But uh..

P: You guys done filming for this year?

K: Yeah, we did thirteen, and now we just uh we wait and see uh how the ratings hold up and then uh you know, maybe June or July we might start up again.

P: Now the um, the guy that used to be on One Day At A Time directed a few episodes, right?

K: (laughing)Yeah, Lembeck. He's great.

P: YEAH! Michael Lembeck, I knew it! Mackenzie Phillips' husband on the show.

K: Yeah, you know who his father was, don't you? His father played on Stalag 17 the movie.

P: (uncertain)Yeah?

K: His father was ah remember the guy that danced with uh with the pretend woman?

P: Hmmm, not really.

K: There's a little, there is a guy who ends up...he fantasizes about dancing with uh a pin-up, and then there's another fella next to him. It's his dad. They they look identical anyway you can pick up the film, and it looks just like Michael.

P: Really?

K: But, yeah, that's his father.

P: Now, how many um how many scenes, um I mean how many episodes did he direct?

K: He directed, uh, ah hell....I think he directed the first, ah the first four, five I think.

P: But not all of them, right?

K: No, he didn't direct all of them, no.

P: So there's thirteen total, and the ratings are very, very good. You know it's gonna get picked up for next season.

K: Well, we'll wait and see. That...I...I haven't...you know I never put anything in that until someone calls and says, "Yes, it's picked up." 'Til then, you know I'm just waiting, and I'll see what happens.

P: Because of Early Edition?

K: Well, it's because of all of 'em. I mean you just never know until the last minute.

K: You just never know.

P: And um what kind of dog do you have in your backyard that was growling?

I2: In the shed?

P: In the shed.

K: Um, he's a he's a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

P: A WHAT??

I2: OH!

P: Can't stars have normal dogs?

K: Huh?

P: Like a like a Lab. I you know mean movie stars always have weird dogs, you know?

K: This is the closest dog...my wife didn't know I was gettin' a big dog, I told her, "Well, they're neat dogs, they get about the size of a Dalmatian." 'Cause I like big dogs, 'cause I grew up with Great Danes. And ah so we went to pick the dog up and you know, cute little puppy and they're a little bit bigger than Dalmatians.

P: (laughs) Yeah.

K: 'Course she doesn't...she got a little upset when she saw the father. By then the kid's already holding the dog in her arms, so you know (laughs) that was that was a done deal.

P: How many kids do you have?

K: Ah, just one. One and one on the way.

I2: Awwwww...

P: Hey! When are ya due?

K: We're due (laughs) we're due in ah November.

I2: Oh, that's a good month.

K: Uh, actually, I was on Regis and uh Regis and uh...

I2: Kelly.

K: What's her...

P: Kelly.

K: Yeah! That's it.

I2: (laughs)

P: Yeah, I saw you, I saw you on that.

K: And ah and I told them, they asked me I said "When are ya due" and I said, "Well, February."

P: Oh, God.

K: And I didn't think anything about it, and then I realized she sorta gave me a strange look, and of course that's 11 months.

P: (laughing) Yeah.

K: And uh I just wasn't thinkin', but a friend of mine called me on it.

P: How about that girl, Kelly, who is also on All My Children, she is ah how many months pregnant?

I2: Like ten.

K: Um I think she's eleven months pregnant.

I2: Yeah.

P: I mean she's really pregnant...

K: She's ready to pop.

P: But she looks great.

K: Yeah, she's an attractive lady.

P: Oh she...

K: She does a lot too, she's got her hands (and I'm not sure about this line- it wasn't very clear)and her feet every place.

P: Well, she does All My Children, she does Regis & Kelly, what else does she do?

K: Um

P: I think that's it.

K: I guess she's got a she lives with her husband who works on the same show, right?

I2: MMMM HMMM.

K: That's a busy life style right there.

P: Could you ever work with your wife?

K: NO!!

P: No.

K: Christ, I can't even LIVE with her!

P: (all laughing) It's always bad...

K: (laughs)

P: I mean it never works out...

K: Ah, uh I don't know I don't know...no ah we get along pretty good, though of course, she's pregnant now, so I've gotta, I'm walkin' on eggshells.

I2: Yeah, that changes everything.

K: (exasperated) OH!

P: Is she really moody?

K: Oh, moody, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

ALL: laughs

K: Oh my God, she walks in the door eating raw meat every once in a while.

P: OHHHH!!! (all laugh) What other food cravings does she have, what other weird stuff?

K: Oh man, you name it. You name it. She craves cottage cheese with like mustard on it, or or you know bread with mayonaise and sugar sprinkled on it, that was from last week.

P: UUUUGH! (sick sounds) Bread and mayonaise and sugar?!

K: I don't know...her and her brother used to eat it when they were kids I guess, I don't know.

P: Why does that happen with women?

I2: Well I don't know!

P: Well, I'm just asking, did anybody do a study on it?

I2: Oh sure.

P: Why do women crave weird foods when they're pregnant?

I2: Sometimes it's 'cause your body needs different like nutrients and stuff and you just get a tast for something weird and you don't know why, but it's kinda 'cause it's lookin' for nutrients.

P: I just can't imagine...

I2: And 'cause your whole body's FREAKING OUT!!!!

K: Yes

P: I can't imagine going through a pregnancy with a woman. I can't even hold out during that time of the month.

I2: Oh God.

K: (laughs loud)

P: It's like, oh my God, I gotta get some air. I know it's only lasting a few days, but I've gotta go!

K: (laughs)

P: We're talking with Kyle Chandler...Everybod...uh wha What About Joan. Why do I want to say "Everybody Loves Joan?" That's Everybody Loves Raymond.

I3: Because everybody DOES. Wait 'til you see the ratings, they're gigantic.

K: Everybody loves Joan.

P: We talked the other night. Joan's living in Chicago right now.

K: Yeah, she lives there. That's the reason the show is shot in Chicago. She ah, her and Jim who have worked together before, organized it so they would ah, ah she wanted to do the show there to keep her family settled.

P: Well, how does that work? You say, "Hey listen, I'm ready to do a sitcom, bring it to Chicago..."

K: Exactly.

P: I mean that, she must carry a lot of clout.

K: Well, yeah, she does. She's got a couple of nominations under her belt and um you know she's a pretty good actress as well.

P: Yeah, she does a good job.

K: So...

P: And uh, do you like making out with her on the set? I mean you guys did a bedroom scene last week.

K: Yeah, no we have a good time.

P: laughs

K: She's um, she's I tell ya she's she's very professional. Yeah, I think she got in the position to where she's never done one of these sitcoms either, you know she's used to the big screen.

P: Yeah this is her first one.

K: Yeah, I don't even know how much TV she's done. It's a different world, but she really uh, buckled under, it's an awful lot of work for her 'cause she's in everything, you know. And ah lines change constantly and you're pretty much rehearsing from Monday 'til Friday. Pretty much while you're shooting the darn thing you're still you're still learning new things about it, so she's she's got a ah she she's very professional, very good at what she does.

P: Well, you've been on the show many times, and you came into the studio and that's when we introduced you to Jackie Mason. You..

K: Man, he was ON!

P: Yeah, Jackie Mason's always on.

K: You cannot turn that guy off.

P: He could be dead, we haven't seen him since, and I don't know what happened to him. I think Pinto scared him away that night.

I3: No...

K: He might be in my tool shed out here.

P: (all laugh) But you're a pretty laid back guy, I mean Joan is you know a high tension wire ready to snap at any second.

I2: Oh.

K: Yes. Exactly.

P: I mean she's uh...that mixes well?

K: It it actually works out great. It works out great. I mean Joan behind the scenes is a little bit different than Joan that's on the show. So ah she ah...

P: Ok. A little more laid back.

K: Yeah, yeah you know she's a she's got that a she's got that imagination and uh uh you know it's a great part. It's like doing a show like this where you can get paid to be a five-year-old and and uh you know people encourage you to do that.

P: I love it. I think that's great.

K: So...

P: And does she bring her baby on the set?

K: Uh, they don't come down there too much. Um ah you know most people as well as kids if they get to a a movie set or something it's REALLY exciting, yeah, you're looking around and the next thing, you, three minutes later you go to the craft service you get a cup of coffee and you know eat some chocolate and seven minutes later, you're bored. And you want to go home.

P: Hurry up and wait.

K: You know, the kids are the same way.

P: And uh, just for the record, you did receive the package while you were filming, of uh of my picture and everything in it?

K: Oh yeah, you didn't notice it on the set?

P: No, I did not. I I've never been to the set.

K: Oh, yeah it's on the set. Well it's it's on the set, I should say BEHIND some of the set.

P: (laughs) Yeah, in the garbage.

K: On the sidelines, but it's there.

P: I mean when you open something up like that, you have some down time. When do you open your mail? I just want you to paint a picture for me when you opened it up and you thought, "This guy's a psycho, isn't he?"

K: Heh, heh, um I you know they usually set it in my trailer in there and I I ah go through four thousand letters every other day and and you know....

I2: Are they ALL from Pete?

P: Hey, wait a second, I only sent one! And it was FedEx, OK? How many letters do you get on a given day?

K: Uh, no I don't get that much...I don't get HEY HEY NO NO NO NO

P: SIT! Roll over!

K: NO don't go in there, I'll I'll...c'mere look there get down. Just planted my garden 'n he almost ran in there again.

P: Dog lessons with Kyle Chandler.

K: (exasperated)OH.

I2: Openin' up a can of whoopass there.

P: From What About Joan...

K: Yeah. Can I use bad language on this?

P: Absolutely. Cuss all you want.

K: (to dog, obviously) I will KICK YOUR *** if you go in there!

P: Now you're talkin'!

K: There we go. (laughs) Ummm he understood that.

I2: Sure. Hell yeah.

K: What were we talkin' about? Fa no, I don't get that much fan mail. I get I get fan...is anyone there?

P: Yeah! We're here (laughing) where do you think we went?

K: No, somethin' just beeped on the phone...

P: Uh oh somebody's callin' ya, "Hey Kyle, you're on the radio in Chicago!"

I3(to Pete): That would be funny as hell if they had your picture framed in the background, like in the kitchen...

P: Yeah, they're throwing darts on it.

K: (giggle laugh)

CKG: Have you been to Kyle Chandler.com?

KC: No, I have have heard, no, no I have not.

CKG: Do you know what it's all about?

KC: Um, if it's the same one that people have,friends of mine have told me about, I've, yes. All kinds of strange things.

CKG: It's a San Diego real estate guy.

KC: (short laugh)Oh really?

CKG: It's, it's a realtor, Kyle Chandler. It's got an old guy with his wife and his kid.

KC: Are you serious?

CKG: Yeah, that's Kyle and he's about 65.

KC: Are you serious? Really, oh that's hilarious.

CKG: Kyle Chandler Prudential California Realty up in San Diego.

KC: OHHH that's great.

CKG: I'm thinkin' I'll buy a house from him.

KC: I've heard of other ones, of other shows that I've done, stuff like that; people tell me about 'em and they're sort of spooky.

CKG: Like dirty stuff?

KC: Well, no, it's just it's just strange you know just strange people leaving strange messages and what have you.

P: Ok, alright. Well, Kyle it's good to talk to you, and uh, I'd like to stop by when you come back to town.

K: Alright, well hopefully we'll be back in town a few months from now.

P: I think it's gonna happen, because ABC sent out a press release saying that you guys had higher ratings than Dharma & Greg a few weeks ago, and uh you're keeping the audience; they're very happy.

K: Right. That was last week, or for this weeks' show? I mean the second show...

P: Um, well you kept the ratings two weeks in a row.

K: Oh, that's good.

P: Don't they tell you this? Doesn't somebody call you?

K: No one tells me anything.

P: (laughs)

I3: Pete, does anybody take YOU into an office and tell you YOUR ratings?

P: Never.

I3: So...

K: No one tells you that stuff, do they?

P: No, you gotta ask questions, you gotta pull people aside.

K: Yeah, 'cause it should be What About Us!

P: YEAH! That's what I'm talkin' about!

K: Not them, US.

P: That's right, Kyle.

K: Alright.

P: Alright, buddy. Well, it's good to talk to you.

K: Yeah, good talkin' to you. You guys have a great night.

P: And we'll talk to you soon.

K: Alright.

I2: Good luck with the dog!

K: Yeah, thanks.

P: Kyle Chandler, thanks Kyle.

K: Alright. Bye bye.

P: Kyle Chandler. What About Joan Tuesday nights, 8:30. That's such a great show.

I3: Funny guy.

P: Very funny, and they'll be back, believe me. (to I2) You're happy, aren't ya?

I2: He's a little dreamy.

P: (laughs) He's a little dreamy, isn't he?

THE END

Candii
05/20/01
I couldn't sleep, decided to see if there were any new messages on the board, and was pleasantly surprised to find that you had transcribed the interview. Well, actually you were still in the process of transcribing when I interrupted. Sorry. Anyway, thanks so much. It was a great interview, More!! More!! LOL!! :D

While reading this, I felt as if I was listening to the interview on the radio first hand. How old is this interview?

I am so glad that Kyle cleared up the baby's due date. LOL!! It was also nice to hear him saying something about his wife, the pregnancy and family too. Sort of gives us an inside peek into what his home life is probably like. So normal! But then again, what was I expecting? Duh!!

The part where Kyle says that he doesn't get a lot of fan mail. I wonder if he was kidding. I hope that he was kidding. Also, the part where he says;

//Well, I'm trying to plug this show a little bit and I just get no respect everywhere I turn.//

This deeply disturbs me. Poor baby! :( What is wrong with those Hollywood- people- in- charge anyway? Don't they know a good thing when they see it??? Honestly, the only reason I'm watching this show (WAJ)is because Kyle is in it.

Anyway, he seems so normal. (Duhhh!! again.) I just love this guy! :)
luvwaj
05/20/01
Newf65, from the bottom of my heart--thank you sooo-ooo much for that interview!!! How wonderful! Kyle C. has the best fans in the world! Now we've got to make sure he knows it-- would somebody puh-leeze give that guy the URL addresses of all the 'I love kyle' web sites please?? LOLOL!!

He's so cute, modest, and unassuming-- which of course is why I'm a huge fan!
springfever
05/20/01
Newf65- very interesting interview and may I say you did an excellent job transcribing it so we could all enjoy it. :D It was almost like actually hearing it on the radio firsthand. What radio station was it on and when? Thanks for your time and effort put into it.
darbyross
05/20/01
Thanks so much Monica. You did a great job! I felt bad about the fan mail thing too. I hope he was kidding. If not does anyone know the address where we can write to him now? would it be the studio where they shoot WAK? Although I was a little disturbed by the comments he made about the strange fans? I hope he wasn't talking about us? I would just die. :O
reaness
05/20/01
Hi everyone, I just got done reading the interview with Kyle it was really great. I got a big kick when I read that Kyle's wife likes mayo sandwiches with sugar on top. My mother has been eating Mayo sandwiches with sugar on top ever since she was little and my mother is 72 years old :D I thought I share that.
Newf65
05/20/01
Thanks a million everyone. Glad to be of service. I received the interview courtesy of Jayne and Lurker Linda; I like to give credit where credit is due! As far as I can tell, this interview was most likely done the week of April 8-14, WCKG Chicago. You will most likely be able to reach him like this: Mr. Kyle Chandler, c/o Ashland Productions, 5660 W. Taylor St. Stage #3, Chicago, IL 60644.

Dollene, I wouldn't worry about the "strange" comment too much. The whole internet-fan-groupie thing would be enough to freak any normal person out. I'm thinking someone like Kyle would see it as awfully strange to be making such a fuss over him, but of course, that's why we like the guy so much! ;)

As far as the mayo on bread with sugar...GAG! My sisters used to eat peanut butter, mayonaise and lettuce sandwiches...my stomach is turning right now to think of it. They used to chase me with the jar of mayo. Can't stand the stuff to this day (and that's putting it mildly). :O

karens608
05/20/01
I was also glad to see that Kyle cleared up that business of when the baby was due. He must have thought Kelly asked when did she get pregnant, since a baby born in November would've been conceived in February, although I don't know why he would've thought that, since the first question most people ask is, "When is the baby due?"
Newf65
05/20/01
I forgot to mention that I was so pleased to hear that Kyle loves big dogs. My screen name "Newf" is short for my doggie's breed: Newfoundland. He'll be two on the 27th and he's a bouncing 150lbs. If you can get over the drool and the hair and the snoring, he's really quite adorable...I, too, tricked my husband into getting him. I pulled the same kind of stunt Kyle did. I told my husband that we'd go to see the litter "just to see them," and of course by the time we left we were also leaving a deposit. When we went to pick him up, the pup was in the breeder's arms, she put him down, I called to him and that darned dog went straight to my husband. You'd never seen a heart melt SO fast. It was true love. Now my husband truly loves the breed (they are gigantic love muffins)and has even talked about becoming a breeder eventually! Our pup's name? All of the Star Wars fans out there will love it: Obi-Wan Kenewfi. I know, I know, Newfs look more like Wookies, but the name was just too great to pass up! OK, back to KYLE.....
TobMar
05/21/01
Newf65, thanks so much for sharing the interview with us! Out of all of the interviews I've read, this one has to be the best!!! I have to comment on what Kyle said about the things posted on the message boards related to him. So the message boards freak him out. I am wondering which boards he is referring to. On the boards where no one has to register, some, but not all, of the boards themselves and comments have been extremely nasty. On boards like this one, where you have to register to get into, I don't remember ever reading anything bad about Kyle. Whether or not he would want to give personal information in order to read the messages on the better boards, I don't know. These are the boards that I am hoping he is referring to.
Thanks again for the fanscript! I never listen to talk radio either, and without your typing it all out, we would have all missed out on a great interview! :D

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0025.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com