And Then There's Joan...
Forum Archives -- What About Joan

Subject: On Joan and Jake Living Together...

Author
05/23/01
They spend so much time at her place, and he sleeps over every episode that I've seen-- that they might as well be.

I wonder if this will set a(pardon the pun) anti-climactic tone to the show when Joan and Jake finally do get hitched. Because we've already been watching them relate as husband and wife-- and they really do act like it now.

So I just wonder what they'll be like on the show post-wedding...

It seems to me, it won't be much different, not that I'm complaining--mind you...I just want this show to always be fresh and to be around for a long time-- and it seems like they're shooting their wad (for future episode plots) showing Jake and Joan in all kinds of domestic situations.

Also, why are they always at her place-- to tell you the truth I thought Jakes apartment rocked, with that beer on tap thing...whoa! Gimme one of those-LOL I guess Joan's place was seen by Jake as a place with more warmth and life and that's why he spends so much time over there, instead of vice versa...so scratch that, it would make sense that he would want to be where she is--he's the one that had to do the convincing.....

Someone mentioned once that Jake said he was going to have to trap Joan into marriage or a relationship, hence he's gradually moving in right under her, leaving his clothers, getting her to give him that tiny drawer, LOL-- so maybe Jake's moving in and being there and at her place overnight all the time, is how he's doing it....

I sure couldn't resist...

Okay..my rant is over....
TobMar
05/23/01
luvwaj, I wondered the same things too. In Early Edition, there was never any indication that Gary had much of a love life during a four year period. Yet I found alot of sexual tension between Gary and Meredith and Gary and Toni. Even if he had a love life, one would have to assume it took place behind the scenes. With WAJ/WAK, we are hit right away with the fact that they started living together at some point. I would have preferred it if there would have been more of a build up leading to that point. With Jake being a rich banker, I would imagine that he would have a nicer place to live, and that Joan would move in there. Or maybe he stays at Joan's place sometimes.
luvwaj
05/23/01
I agree Mary Lou,
I would have loved to have seen that developed; the whole process of Joan and Jake's romance getting more and more intimate (yum..would I have been able to take it? LOL), and then his first sleepover, the second sleepover...YEOW!!!

Believe me they would have had even BETTER ratings...as it is, like you said-- we just tuned in one day, and they were snug as a bug, like an old married couple (no offense old married couples out there..LOL). I mean, it's still romantic, and loving and sweet-- but I'd like to see Jake get a little randier, we've only had glimpses so far (Jake pinning Joan to the door with that kiss, the looks he gives her, "try me again..," "NOW?!" etc.)-- a few episodes that would have shown us what we missed between "The Proposal's first episode, and the subsequent ones, would have been cool!

But we've got some neat episodes coming up this fall, so I'll just have to be patient. (I'm waiting on my rerun of "Meet the Parents,"the only one I don't have on tape--and that I missed, and also am really looking forward to "The Sweater," episode.)

In the meantime...I'm going to keep an eye out for those episodes of EE with Meredith and Toni, thanks for the tip!! I'm going to have to have something to get me through a mostly WAJ-less summer.
shana93
05/23/01
Ya know, in past sitcoms and dramas, the main characters getting married (or sometimes even just getting romantic) has been the kiss of death for the show. The viewers like the tension, and think they want to see it's natural progression (ie romance, marriage), but when it happens, it's as if there is nowhere left to go to hold the viewers interest. So, with WAK, maybe the writers have wisely chosen to start right off with Jake and Joan living together, acting as if they're married, so that it will seem no different if the marriage ever takes place. There won't be that natural letdown for the viewers, because the show is not based on that slow buildup of romantic tension between the two leading characters. Anyway, it's just a thought I had. :)
abc981
05/23/01
Shana, that's an excellent point about not giving the viewers a let down if and when J&J ever tie the knot. I hadn't thought of that.

//we just tuned in one day, and they were snug as a bug, like an old married couple (no offense old married couples out there..LOL). I mean, it's still romantic, and loving and sweet-- but I'd like to see Jake get a little randier, we've only had glimpses so far //

Funny you should mention that, luvwaj. I had this same discussion with another fan the other day and my thoughts were almost exactly the same as yours. I absolutely love the loving, sweet, romantic relationship that J&J have but I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of the passion that Joan was so worked up about in "Sex Talk". ;)

No offense taken at the old married couple comment! :D Again, that's the same thought that's crossed my mind, they do seem more like an old married couple a lot of the time. :)
shana93
05/23/01
I should clarify, that although I stand by my theory, I certainly wouldn't object to some passionate Jake and Joan moments here and there. ;)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with What About Joan, ABC Television, Columbia TriStar Television, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever.

http://earlydues.usanethosting.com/waj/forum/0026.htm
Copyright (c) 2001
earlydues@yahoo.com