EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Detective Armstrong

Author
08/05/00
In "Time," Armstrong at one point says "All right for old times sake, how do you know?" Gary can't answer. At the end, Armstrong says "I want to know everything, but I'm a patient man," I wonder if he would have eventually found out about the paper through his own detective work? Crumb didn't want to know how Gary knew things. Brigatti, if she and Gary did get serious, should be told. That's the conundrum, too many people knowing about the paper would spoil the fun.
dks11
08/05/00
It might spoil the fun, But wouldn't it make a good ep for season 5. :) Armstrong may find out, but would he believe it? I think he is more of a tangible evidence kind of guy than a metaphysical one.
SkyDancer59
08/05/00
I think that Armstrong should get what he wants...by accidently finding the paper at the scene where Gary's dropped it without Gary knowing. I think Michael Whaley would do an INCREDIBLE job of trying to race like the calvary to save the people who were involved in serious crimes...only to find out that the direct, no-nonsense, to-the-point detective work makes the legacy of the paper article turn to chaos.

Whenever Gary saves someone, he does it generally in a kind manner in order to get the best results for everyone involved. In his efforts to be the best detective he can be, Armstrong wouldn't understand that the consequences of such adherence to "the rules" may not be what is needed for the object of the article to learn their lesson.

I see Armstrong trying valiantly to save each victim, only to watch the articles spin wildly out of control with each try. When Armstrong gets to the last one, I'd expect he'd have to almost drop all the "cop" rules in order to get the story to come out with a happy ending. It would be a major period of growth for Armstrong, who would now know what Crumb knows...that he is BEST at being a cop because there are many situations that require "a cop," but there are ALSO situations that call for the delicate hand of one who is considering the best course of action for all the parties involved.

I would imagine after one day of screwing up the paper, Armstrong would be so frustrated, he'd stake Gary out the next day (his day off) just to watch how he did it. Through this he would realize that his reason for being on earth was to be there for the people that needed his type of take-charge authority and the next time he and Gary met up, all he'd have to do is look at the paper, look at Gary and walk away without even questioning how Gary knew.

That's just my take on it though. ;)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0001.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com