EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: The Best Episode ever was "Time"

Author
08/09/00
Because it talks more about Lucius Snow and how if it wasn't for him, Gary would have been dead at age 11. It also showed how Gary got the paper: When Lucius gave Gary a keychain with his initials, I guess that Lucius has choosen Gary to be the next person to receive the paper. And again when Gary gave the keychain to the judge's granddaughter, but it didn't have his initials, her initials was on the keychain. So maybe, when EE have a knew season, it may start out to be the judge's daughter who will get the paper, and Gary helping her or something.
mrwiseman
08/09/00
I loved the episode "Fate." I always thought it was ashame that Kyle did not get an Emmy for that episode. I still cry when I watch it.
Lilya
08/09/00
Well I have to say that "Time" is the second best episode ever but only by a little. I still think "Fate" holds number 1 for me. But onto "Time" It was such a well put together and very touching. I loved the changing of the guard issue and the whole key chain thing. It was a very well done episode. I loved it.
Ren713
08/09/00
It's certainly way up there. I think "Fatal Edition," "Fate," "The Choice," and "The Paper" are way up there, too. Of course, I have a million other favorites for various reasons, but I have to say from a story line and acting point of view, these are the best.
Candii
08/10/00
The pocket knife symbol I thought was kind of lame. I never knew that Gary ever had a pocket knife with his initials on it. It was never mentioned in earlier episodes, and it seemed to me as the last episode was a rush job, but even so....I loved how it ended with Lucious Snow's monologe in the background, and Gary looking about, thinking of the possibilities of his life. Having a love life, a family, growing old, living his life. I adored that little smile he gave at the end after seeing the couple with their baby. My GOSSSHHH!!!I wish I could be there to witness the rest of his life....or the beginnig of him finally living it!!!!!
Candii
08/10/00
There were sooo many good episodes in the beginning, and it is hard to choose. I find myself watching The Wall, 1 and 2 an awful lot, and Faith too!
Candii
08/13/00
Question. Can anyone explain why the article with Gary's death as a young child did not disappear after Snow saved his life. Could this have been a special edition, something that Gary was suppose to see later when he became a man? What did it have to do with the crooked Judge, and the creep that was let out of jail?

I watched this episode, and I felt that it was ok. Couldn't see which themes it wrapped up though, or why Gary should suddenly get a revelation, after this episode, that he should live his life. I believe that throughout the four years that EE has been on, it has been suggested that Gary live his life. Snow himself left a note with those very words for Gary. The guy from out of town practically hit him over the head with it.(By the way, I liked the Out Of Towner) Marissa was always telling him this, and reminding him of what the *old man* said. Maybe, he felt relieved that he found someone to carry on the duties of the paper. Some one he felt qualified, I guess.

The pocket knife. Someone suggested that he may have forgotten about it, and this is possible. But it wasn't exactly like it was tucked away somewhere in his parents attic with some of his old grade school baseball uniforms, or essay reports that Lois may have treasured. It was in his underwear drawer. :) Actually I can't remember where it was, but I don't think that he had to look very far. I just didn't like the idea of a stranger giving a knife to a child I guess.

Anyway,if anyone has time, (no pun intended) :) could someone who understood this episode please explain it to me?

It was okay, I loved the ending though, with Snow's voice in the background, and Gary's little smile. Wow!! I wish I could be there to witness him finally living his life!!!
Hitomi315
08/13/00
Candi, I would like to try to clear some of your confusion and hope that I wouldn't be mistaken. If so, please somebody feel free to correct me. About the article of Gary's death at 11, I understood that Lucious left copies of the original articles, not only Gary's, when it appeared first on his "special" paper, thus that copy was in his box for Gary to see. Along with others. ( remember The Wall? ) The reason that this episode is important is that Gary finally learned why for the last 4 years he had tomorrow's paper today;he was saved 24 years ago because Lucious was getting tomorrow's newspaper today then and Gary was destined to carry on after Lucious was gone. "Live Your Life" message had been delivered to Gary time to time, starting on the episode "The Paper." It was just a reminder for Gary from Lucious that it is OK to live the life and enjoy it even with the paper. The knife was in his desk drawer, way in the back underneath all the junk, but he still remembered that it was there once all the things happened 24 years ago came back to him. I thought it was just a symbol, a momento and a keychain with the key to the deposit box rather than "giving a knife to a child." I don't think Gary was relieved because he found somebody to give this paper to but because he understood why he was the one who was getting the paper every day. Lucious said in his letter to Gary that he had repay for his saved life a thousand times or more by that time he was reading that letter. I hope this explains what was intended in that episode and clear some of your confusion :)
Spidermax1081
08/13/00
I think it shouldhave been the season finale because from the beginning Lucius Snow left a note saying "Live your Life" and in "Time" Gary sees the all these people, living their.
Spidermax1081
08/13/00
Hi Candii, I've got all the answers to your questions: What did it have to with the Judge and the creep that was let out of jail? When Gary was a kid, he saw the judge being bought to dismiss th Ross Trial on May 15, 1976, now when the adult Gary checked the same article with the Ross Trial saying that Ross is convicted, he compared it to the one that he had found in the box with the article of his death and the Ross Trial, saying that the case was dismissed, because Snow had to save Gary as a kid, Snow wasn't able to stop the judge from taking the bribe o dismiss the case, and now 24 years later on that May 15, 2000, the judge is bought again to the let this other guy off, some may guess is that Gary had to show the judge that he did over the years has hurt the victims and thei families. And thekeychain that Snow gave to Gary when he was a kid was a reminder that Gary was choosen to be the next to recieve the paper, just like when Gary gave the keychain to the judge's granddaughter, and that her initials was on there instead of Gary's telling that she is next in line to recieve the paper. The reason why i think "Time" should be the season finale is because from the beginning all the way to the end of the fourth season, Gary has be reminded to live his life, and that the next season will be about the judge's granddaughter all grown up, who is recieving the paper, and Gary is like Snow, telling to live her life and well.
Dollene
08/13/00
The reason the article on Gary's death didn't disappear is because it was a photo copy. The headline actually changed when Snow saved Gary, as we saw when Gary went throught the archives.

I think, for 4 years Gary has been getting this paper and he felt all alone in what he was doing. Only in season 4 did we all find out that others got a paper also. Sometimes when something traumatic happens we tend to block it out. And as Gary told his mom the reason he never told her about almost being hit by a car is that he was already in trouble for being accused of stealing the girls essay. So it could be something he tucked away as a bad dream or something.

Believe me at 34 your memory is not as sharp as it is when you are younger and with all that Gary has had to deal with it is entirely possible for him to not realize what that keychain was for or who gave it to him. For example, my mother told me to have people sign first and last names in my yearbook or years later I wouldn't remember them. She was right :)

As for finally realizing he could live his life. The pictures of Snow and the realization that someone would take over from him when it was time, was the little push Gary needed to let go a little. Being a Virgo myself it is one of our traits to feel responsible for everyone and everthing around us that we care about. It is very hard to step back sometimes and do for ourselves. This is just my own opinion but I think that is what Gary's problem has been. Others come first and he takes second place. Not that he always wants to, it is just in his nature. Even if he didn't get the paper he would probably still be doing something along the same lines. That is just who he is.

The end of Time leaves us thinking he is just going to rush right out and get a life, but I don't think it will be that easy for him. It would be interesting to have season 5 and see exactly how he is going to start living his life.
TerriRuth
08/13/00
It makes sense that "Time" would be the season ender, but CBS preempting EE so they could get a game show on to mimic ABC's Juggernaut screwed everything up. "Fatal Edition," "The Choice," "The Wrong Man," and "Run, Gary, Run" are some excellent episodes too. Many of the episodes that I'm not too enamored with are from Season 3.
Candii
08/13/00
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :) To all of you who responded to my plea. Excellent observations and explainations from all of you. :) It was crystal clear after you guys explained it to me! Serves me right for not taping this episode. I guess I forgot about a lot of things. Anyway, all of you gave me the answer that I needed to the different questions that had been plagueing my mind about this episode.

Dollene, good observation about Gary's personality being one of serving or putting others first. He can't help it, it's how he is. I thought about Marsha , and how he took on a job that he couldn't stand, just to put her through law school, and he did this even before he knew about the paper. Good! :)

Spider. The part about Snow saving Gary's life, so he was unable to stop the bribe, was one that I never even thought about. I couldn't understand what the two had to do with each other. I understand now that the article saying that the Ross case was dismissed along with the article of Gary's death meant that Snow saved Gary's life instead of stopping the bribe. But what was the "same" article that said he was convicted, did gary compared with the one found in the box? I'm lost still lost there.

Also, I'm sure that they meant for this to be the finale episode, but somehow I'm thinking that they were going to pull the plug on EE *AFTER* Time, but decided at the last minute to have a heart and show us fans the rest of the episodes. :)

Hitomi. I understand now why gary understands now, *WHY* he gets the paper. It was simple, and thank you for clearing it up for me! The reason was because Snow passed it along to him, and not only because he had this wonderful personality, and quality. Just like with the little girl, Gary will be the reason why she gets the paper when she's older. Did I get that part right? :) The part about Gary paying him back for saving his life a hundredfold was also a good insight because we know that Gary wasn't even aware of any "debt" by taking on the duties of the paper, because he never knew that Snow had saved his life. But by the time he received the letter from Snow, if he felt he owed anything at all for his life, the debt had been paid millions times over. Ok, now I think I got it. Thanks everybody. I think I like this episode.
Candii
08/13/00
Oh yeah, and the photo copy of the article was one that I forgot about. Thanks everybody.
Fortunata6
08/14/00
Okay, to answer some of the questions...
I'm not sure why Anow had the photocopy of Gary's death in particular. He had to have done it before he changed the situation, though. I may be a little rusty on the episode or have been imagining things, but didn't young Gary see Snow before he was saved? Perhaps he had Gary in his mind all along.
About the jugde and, Detective Armstrong, and all the others, they led to Gary choosing the girl (or the knife choosing her). They brought fourth the shooting of the judge, the girl's grandfather who she loved so much. It was probably through the great loss that Gary saw the qualities you need for handling the newspaper. Gary was chosen because he sacrificed the contest for finding that one girl's essay and doing whatever it took to get it back. Get it? You need honesty and all those other things to have the newspaper (which is why I disregard "The Out Of Towner" and consider it more of a twisted side-story). And that's pretty much it.
Candii
08/14/00
Wait a minute....I just read my own post, trying to clear up the reason why I thought they didn't show Time as the last episode, and I don't think that I was clear. What I meant to say was that, they wanted to pull the plug early on EE, without showing the other two episodes, and they aired Time early as the season finale, but decided at the last minute to go ahead and show us the other two episodes. Does that sound logical?
mike613
08/15/00
here's a vote from the younger crowd...my 7 year old daughter liked the "Occasionally Amber", episode the best.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0010.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com