EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: What's wrong with Henry and Erica?

Author
09/21/00
Most people seem to hate Henry and Erica. I really haven't seen then in too many episodes, so I don't really know. But I was just wondering why almost everyone hates them.
Candii
09/21/00
I didn't hate them. Henry was cute, very cute, and Erica was pretty, but they just didn't fit into this series. They were like a ball and chain to me. After you view enough of the 3rd and 4th season, I think you will be able to see for yourself why some of us feel this way, but of course you may have a different opinion. :)
SkyDancer59
09/22/00
Actually, I didn't mind Henry. Myles is a great actor. If you dissect the episodes like some of us do (smirk) you'll see that Myles did some MAJOR fantastic work playing off Kristy's horrible acting. It made his character look very intelligent.

Why does everyone dislike Erica? She was so far from being the type of woman Gary generally respected it made most of us ill to have to endure her. On top of that, Kristy Swanson did a HORRID acting job...she had no idea how to play the part of a mother and generally came off as if she was only there for the money. Against the great, fantastic acting of Shanesia and Kyle it was like someone scraping their fingernails against a chalkboard. Erica was generally a doofy idiot; only concerned with clothes and how she looked, etc. I would think that someone that got paid the money she did would have at LEAST had the common courtesy to review the tapes of the first two seasons to figure out who the rest of the cast was and then ask for their input. As everyone can see when watching Season 3 it looks as if she in no way did that. Even Henry the child was getting frustrated with his air-brained mother.

Add on to that the complete lack of chemistry between Erica and Gary (Kyle looked several times as if he'd rather be kissing unpainted sections of drywall). Her presence was pretty much an insult to the series. Some people didn't like Henry because they thought he was too whiney. I think Myles the actor did an incredible job with him in moments that would normally be too in depth for a child his age.

These are just my opinions though, I know there are people on the board that think Gary and Erica were quite the "cute couple."
earlydues
09/22/00
I didn't have much of a problem with Henry and Myles is a very good actor. Henry got on my nerves once in a while, but I don't have quite the negative reaction to him as I do to Erica.

SkyDancer wrote:
>I know there are people on the board that think Gary and Erica
>were quite the "cute couple."

/shudder/ I don't even think they had *that* much going for them. Bleh...

Sky pretty much said what I was thinking, but I'll add that one more reason why I personally disliked Erica so much was the clothing that was selected for her to wear (or *not* wear, as the case may be). It was just so obvious by the way her hoo hoos were barely being being contained by her blouse that the one and only reason she was brought into the show was to capture the hormonal adolescent male audience. (That and the fact that it was pretty much stated outright by TPTB that this was the reason.) To my thinking, that is just the WRONG reason to be bringing in a new character. And completely forcing some kind of "relationship" between her and Gary, when there was absolutely no chemistry between them, was very very wrong. But then, that's just my opinion...
Dollene
09/22/00
Well, Early dues and Sky dancer pretty well summed it up. You guys crack me up. Her barely concealed "hoo hoos" :) lol! My main reason for not liking Erica and oh there are oh so many reasons. Is that Gary and Marissa changed so much in Season 3. I would get so upset with Marissa because she would always take Erica's side against Gary. And Gary was always so grumpy. Season 4 was such a breath of fresh air after season 3. With the exception of Fate.
mrwiseman
09/22/00
I always sorta liked Henry, I just wished Henry did not have Erica for his mother. I never was hostile to the character of Erica, but she nevr seemed to "fit." I did get ticked when she seemed to become whiny about Gary not spending time, etc.. with her. For gosh sakes he was saving lives!
Melodey
09/22/00
Thanks for your opinions. I'll make sure and look for some of the things you said.
Macredd
09/22/00
Skydancer and Earlydues have said it all on this subject. Thank you for covering the MANY reasons Erica is so disliked!

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0022.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com