EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Blowing Up Is Hard To Do

Author
11/15/00
"blowing up is hard to do" is Erica's last episode, and although many fans were happy to see her go, I was sad for one reason. Erica leaving gave Gary so much pain. The look on his eyes when he was looking at the Sun-Times building, like he was blaming it for his pain, for not letting him be happy, it was just sooo sad. I wanted to hug him to make him feel better.
shana93
11/15/00
As much as I disliked Erica, I actually felt sorry for her in this episode, and I liked the letter she wrote at the end. I think what Gary is most sad about is hurting her and Henry, because like he told Henry, there was just no chemistry.
Ren713
11/15/00
I felt bad for Henry, because it had to be hard for him to understand. And I thought it was sad that the only scene you ever really saw any bonding with he and Gary was one of their last. (I always thought Patrick and Henry were much more "buds" than Gary and Henry.) As for Erica, except for the note at the end, I thought she was a real wench in this episode. And Gary looked so sad at the end when he said he already knew what was going to happen tomorrow. Sigh... if he'd just figure out I'm right here waiting for him...
Dollene
11/15/00
I am sure everyone who has been on this board for a while is very aware of my feelings for Erica. I didn't feel sorry for her in this ep. She just blindsided Gary with the breakup. Does she not realize he has a lot on his mind with the paper. Granted I don't know how Gary could have even thought they had much of a relationship to being with. She was an employee and that was about as far as it went. I mean in almost 20 eps he only kissed her twice. Jeez he kissed Brigatti twice in one ep, well almost twice. Anyhoo. She gets mad at Gary because he can't give her an answer as to what he would miss if she was gone. Well what the h@#& did she expect. What did she do for Gary that would make him miss her. Was she just supposed to be special enough, maybe because she was so darn good lookin, that Gary would fall all over himself to make her stay! She really didn't offer much of her self in this so called relationship. She took Gary for granted. Used him to get, evidently a pretty darn good paying job, watch her kid, send her to management seminars and what did she do for him? She griped at him if he didn't show up on time for the date. Even if she knew someone's life may be in danger. Let them die but don't miss our date. Even when he was sick her only concern was if he could make their date. Is he gonna miss her? Yeah, like I miss having an absessed tooth. Good riddance.
tdmiller82
11/16/00
I'm with you Dollene :) In my opinion, she stayed way too long. If I were Gary, I would not only have bought her a ticket, but make sure that she ACTUALLY got on the train to insure that she wasn't coming back!
MsSpider
11/16/00
I'm with the glad to see Erica go group. Especially after the Samo eppy. When I thought she couldn't get anymore annoying she proves me wrong in Blowing up is hard to do. First she doesn't believe Gary's account of the marks on his neck. She drags her feet to help him get out of a tight spot and then she's a regular witch at the dinner with the detecitve and his wife.

In my opnion I think Gary just attached himself to her because of convience. Unless he likes grouchy (I'm being nice here) women. When they first met she had a big chip on her shoulder. And really it never fell off. She's way too high in matenance to be Gary's girl friend. He would need someone insightful enough to realize the importance of the paper and strong enough to handle being by themselves when duty calls. Like a policeman's wife.

Amy-Kokomo
11/16/00
Whew! Poor little Erica. You ladies are wicked. ;) (LOL)
Dollene
11/16/00
I think Gary just got used to her being around. Not that he really had deep feelings for her. Like he told Marissa, I see her every day here at work. I think he did kind of take her for granted,but like I have said before she never offered him really anything to fall in love with. You can bet if it was me I would be helping with the paper, having dinner ready when he got home, taking him to ballgames anything and everything to make him fall in love with me. In other words doing for him instead of expecting him to make my life a better one. And did anyone else think his idea of a date to see the Cubs, Sammy Sosa, cracker jacks and him serenading the National Anthem was incredibly romantic? I don't even like baseball and I would have gone happily. Just to have him sing to me. :)
karens608
11/16/00
What kills me is that he actually THANKED her for coming to dinner with him. Thanked her for what? For making no attempt to help him come up with the message that he came to deliver to her at the health club? For making fun of his name? I only have one thing to say about her departure: "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! There is a God!" :) :) :)
tdmiller82
11/16/00
Any guy willing to sing for you, IMHO, is an incredible romantic. I'm not into baseball either (although I've had reason to like it more in the last week...I guess it depends on who is wearing the baseball uniform :) :) :) )
Candii
11/16/00
Rosee. I couldn't figure out what Gary was thinking that night when he was staring at the Sun-times building. I guess I thought that maybe he was just thinking about their fight. Good point. :) Maybe he WAS blaming it for not letting him carry on a decent relationship, but not necessarily with Erica, but with any woman. But I think that any *pain* he might have been feeling concerning Erica, was probably guilt. He was probably feeling guilty for NOT going after Erica to bring her back. He didn't feel as strongly about their relationship, (if you want to call it that)as she.

Poor Erica. :( Maybe she should have taken that handsome Doctor Nick up on his marriage proposal, and then she and Henry could have been set for life!!! :) Poor Erica, poor, poor Erica! :( :) :) :) :) :D :P

Note: But didn't Gary look cute when he was argueing with Erica? There is something sexy about him when he is arguing with a female. He looks so vulnerable, makes you just wanna let him win! ;)
Macredd
11/16/00
Bravo Dollene! You hit on just about every reason I couldn't stand Erica. She had THE worst attitude. This man saved her child's life repeatedly. Even knowing about the paper she still didn't believe him half the time and never had any patience. And if she had such a problem with their relationship, she should've talked to him about it. Whoever called her a wench is right. Do you think maybe her husband developed the gambling problem because he was trying to avoid her caustic tongue? A drinking problem would've been more appropriate. On Ms Spider's point~ Marissa put the seed in Gary's head about him and Erica, if you recall. I don't remember the episode but she commented on them both being nice, unattached, attractive people and I think she said "why not?". I don't think that the idea ever crossed his mind prior to that. Anyway, I'm soooo happy she won't be on during my 10pm EE fix for a while.
rosee
11/16/00
I just wanted to add (and this has nothing to do with Erica) that this episode was so funny at the part when Molly Greene says to Gary,"There's no way you can find your needle in my haystack." I almost fell off the floor laughing. Did you all see the look on Gary's face when she said that? :)
karens608
11/16/00
The scene that cracked me up was when Molly told Gary that she bet he would look good in tights and he immediately looked down at his legs. LOL! :)
Ren713
11/16/00
I often wonder how many times it took them to film the "needle in the haystack" scene before neither of them cracked up.
MsSpider
11/16/00
I loved that line too. I really like Molly. She's more real than Erica ever was. I don't know if she and Gary could ever be a couple but there was more chemistry in thier exchanges than there ever was with Gary and the blondie. (I didn't want to use Gary's name with what's her face.) MEOW MEOW
Dollene
11/16/00
Tracy, It definately depends on who's wearing the baseball uniform. :D LOL I have watched this ep half dozen times and this was the first time I caught the needle in the haystack line. It was funny. Very funny!

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0046.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com