EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: One thing that really bothers me...

Author
11/28/00
I've brought up the subject of the disappearance of Spike the dog in the Have you ever wondered why thread, but there is something else that really bugs me concerning Marissa and the whole seeing eye dog thing. I know a blind man who has a seeing eye dog, and he doesn't go anywhere without him. A blind person must be matched up with a suitable dog and then go through extensive training. The dog becomes an extention of the person. They'd sooner leave their right arm at home than their dog. After seeing FE part 1 last night, I noticed Marissa had a different dog. Yet I can't remember ever seeing that dog again either. This is not realistic. I wish TPTB would've been consistent with this. Either she had a dog or she didn't---there is no in between. Ok, whew, it feels good to get that off my chest. :)
MsSpider
11/28/00
That bothered me too. She'd go places without her dog and use her cane instead. Why bother having the dog. The work life of a guide dogs is 5 to 7 years. Larger breeds don't live as long and sometimes arthritis forces early retirement. Sometimes the person is allowed to keep the dog as a pet but most of the time the dog is placed with a new family. (I did a report on guide dogs in school once...a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.)
The big thing that bothered me was Spike didn't even come close to pretending to be a guide dog. He was all over the place. You could see her pull him back in place. And when he allowed her to fall onto that scaffold...I don't think so. The other dog, only saw him in the alley so far but at least he stayed at her side.
Amy-Kokomo
11/29/00
Shana - That deal with Spike has always bothered me too. From the first episode I felt the dog was not right for Marissa. She seems to have to tug on the dog to get it to go in the right direction. I thought a guide dog did the leading, but Marissa has to pull on Spike's leash a lot. I know Spike was not a true seeing eye dog but he does seem to get distracted a lot.
shana93
11/29/00
Thanks, I am so glad I'm not the only one bothered by this. I love talking with you all. :)

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0060.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com