EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Question about Fatal Edition

Author
11/25/00
In Fatal Edition part 2, when Gary was trying to call Brigatti right after the medical examiner drugged her, how did he know her number? Since we've never seen him call her before, were they closer than it seems as though they were? :)
tdmiller82
11/25/00
Good question. Maybe she had her cell phone number on a business card that she had given Gary. Remember, he also knew the fax number for the police station.
Dollene
11/25/00
Tracy~ How did I know you would be the one to reply to this question? LOL :)
Jenna213
11/26/00
Good point, Tracy. I hadn't thought about the fax number, and it makes sense that he'd have the number on a business card or something.
tdmiller82
11/26/00
Dollene, I appointed myself the number fan for this episode :) I tell you that if Gary came to my place looking for a place to sleep, he would not have had to ask twice. :)
Dollene
11/27/00
Me either Tracy. I remember when this ep first aired. I asked my Mom the next day if she had watched it. She had and I told her I wouldn't have let him walk out that door and I thougth Brigatti was nuts. She agreed and she's 70 LOL. But she thought Kyle was a keeper back when he played Jeff on Homefront.
Candii
11/29/00
Question. This has really been bugging me. The scene where Gary is being hauled off to be arraigned, there is a commotion outside of the court and the guy that tried to break Scanlon's head opened in the beginning of the episode was the cause of the commotion. Can someone tell me what that was all about? He was making such a big fuss and even clobbered some guy in the process. Was he a suspect too? They already had Gary.
Candii
11/29/00
After it was discovered that Gary wasn't the killer of Scanlon, how realistic was it for him to just go home just like that. Wasn't the police suppose to take him into custody anyway? After all, he did escape from jail which is against the law. Doesn't he have to answer for that? Isn't he suppose to go through the process of court or something before he can be released from jail or custody? Tracy since you are a lawyer, maybe you can answer this question, or anyone who might know. :)
tdmiller82
11/29/00
Candi, I can only speak to my jurisdiction (PA), but legally Gary was still an escaped fugitive & he should not have been allowed to go straight home. At the very least, he should have been taken back to the police station so the paperwork could have been processed for his release. I suspect, though, that the police felt so incredibly stupid for arresting an innocent man & giving press conferences about Gary's guilt, that they wanted to put the whole fiasco behind them to restore public confidence in their abilities (yeah right).
BTW, I mentioned this previously in my thread about Fatal Edition, but there is no way the police would have left a murder suspect sitting by himself on a bench while they broke up a fight. This was done just to make it easier for Gary to escape via the courthouse window.
Candii
11/29/00
Thanks Tracy. I also thought that maybe Armstrong put in a word for him that night, allowing him to go home. Gary had saved not only his life but Brigatti's too just by being on the scene and he was grateful for that. I also wondered about Gary's reputation which was probably "mud" by now. LOL!! Wow, I would hope that the police sent out a public apology to Gary to help clear his name. But you got to admit, there was VERY strong evidence against him.
shana93
11/29/00
Candii, I think that guy in the court was there for the assault on Scanlon at the beginning. He makes some comment about how ridiculous the charges were especially since Scanlon was now dead. I hope this helps.
fordyb
11/29/00
Gary was there to be arraigned (and) that man was also there for the same reason. After Gary stopped this irate man's golfclub swinging tirade the man was taken away while our favorite reporter was spouting off charges to file against him. Those would be the charges for which he was arraigned and the reason he was so angry in the hall. As to the re-occurance of this character in the show...that is a standard part of the Early Edition plot...people Gary sees because of the paper tend to show up later.
Candii
11/29/00
Thanks Shana it does. :) I've watched episode this over and over again, and just couldn't, figure out what was going on! :) Duh!! Wow! That little scene was the perfect touch for allowing Gary's escape. And the fact that they (the writers) didn't just forget about the guy who assaulted Scanlon, but did show that just because Scanlon was dead, this guy still had to answer to the charges brought up against him. :) Excellent episode! :)
Candii
11/29/00
Thanks fordyb! :) Hey, isn't it ironic that Gary was being charged for killing the same guy that he prevented this irate man at the court house from killing, and they were at the court house together? I wonder if the irate man knew that Gary was the guy who stopped him and was being charge for the murder of Scanlon? (Whew!)
fordyb
11/30/00
Candii: That poor guy probably had absolutely no idea who, or what, was going on. He was just angry bc Scanlon "ruined" his life. If he were a fan of EE though, he would know like us that the irony of coincidence is the law of tomorrow's Sun Times. I would greatly like to see EE reinstated but even more I would like to see a "Good Guys" channel. Maybe Family Channel or TV-Land etc... could begin a network devoted to heroic pursuits. There could be Early Edition, Pretender, Due South, Brisco County, Equalizer, Sting Ray and on and on... These shows would highlight the "good" in people and we would all benefit. Whatta you think?
Candii
12/01/00
fordyb~ You are probably right about the guy not knowing who Gary was. He sure was hot though, wasn't he? Wow! I suppose I would be too if Scanlon had ruined my life. :)

About having a Good Guys channel? I think it's an excellent idea. The GGC Network. Sounds good too. :)

Jenna213
12/02/00
After watching this episode several times, I believe that the man making that horrible commotion was someone that Scanlon "ruined". Earlier, whan Scanlon was walking out of the book store, He asked Scanlon if he remembered him, and Scanlon called him "tooth decay", and said something about how he wasn't the one doing nescessary drillings. So probably, Scanlon had found out what he was doing sometime in the past, and ruined the man's practice by exposing it in his column. I think that basically, the reason the man was at the courtroom, was not because he was a suspect, but because he was charged for earlier for aggravated assault.
fordyb
12/02/00
I beleive that was "exactly" what I said. He was mad bc Scanlon had "ruined" his life. I never said "when" it happened but it was obvious that it did not happen when they passed on the street as Scanlon was leaving the store. In addition, it was also pointed out that he was in court to answer charges filed by Scanlon outside the bookstore.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0065.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com