EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Have you ever wondered why...

Author
10/16/00
Gary tells Chuck that he hope Marcia is alright & that he should stop by & see her. Huh? Did I miss something? Gary was the one thrown out of the house- locks changed, suitcase hurled out the window. But he is worrying whether Marcia is alright? (The Pilot).

After saving Pritchard from Sam the mail guy, Gary points the gun at Pritchard making Pritchard promise to treat Marcia well "because she is far too good for him (Pritchard) and he doesn't deserve her". Pretty generous character assessment for Gary to give to a woman who threw him out of the house on their wedding anniversary (The Wrong Man).

Pritchard tells Chuck to walk Gary out & don't make an afternoon of it. The next scene we see that Chuck not only walked Gary out the door, but proceeded to go down the street with Gary (The Wrong Man).

Princess Sibella was from Morena, but yet when Jade talked about East & West Morena there was no indication that the country was a monarchy (Romancing the Throne/Ocassionally Amber).

Gary would come to his ex wife's wedding (The Wrong Man)

Gary used to be awake when the cat came with the beginning during the early episodes, yet in later episodes he needed the alarm clock to get up.

Can you think of any more things that make you go huh?

Dollene
10/16/00
When Gary lst gets the Lost Chicago book. The date underneath is 1947.. Snow is an old man in the picture. On his tombstone it says he died in 1995. Granted they changed the picture later on but it still would have made Snow older that 75. Which I think is the age on the tombstone. Gary didn't start getting the paper till 1996. The date on the paper in the Pilot is for November. but in a later ep. The paper I think, it says Gary started getting the paper in September. The day after Snow died.
stephaniearwen
10/16/00
I think Gary's continued kindness towards his ex-wife has a lot to do with his personality in general. When something goes wrong, he's more likely to blame himself than direct the blame to the correct party. My sense is that Gary took the responsibility for the failure of his marriage upon his own shoulders- in "Baby," when Marissa said to Gary that he got the paper because he was a hero, and not the other way around, I definitely remember Gary saying something along the lines of, "Yeah right, hero. I can't even save my own marriage." That sounds like someone blaming himself to me.

As for the alarm clock, I think after years of answering the paper's demands, Gary is just exhausted! :) Remember the teaser to "Romancing the Throne"? The sight of Gary conked out and snoring in the office was just hysterical and so true to life! LOL!
Macredd
10/16/00
After hearing Gary lament how he wanted kids so badly (and to name one Zeke) why did he in Season 3 no longer like children? I sight specifically the episode in which Gary has to babysit Henry and Marissa raises her eyebrows and says "But you don't even like kids." That one bugs me to no end!
stephaniearwen
10/16/00
Yeah, that one bugs me too. "Blowing Up Is Hard To Do" also bugs me, especially when Gary tells Erica that he can't understand why married people think everyone should get married to be happy. HUH? WAY off character here!
Candii
10/16/00
The episode where Patrick leaves the show, I forgot the name of the episode, but I do know that is was one of my least favorites. Anyway the part where Gary is yelling at Patrick, (totally out of character) and then he kicks the latter spilling a bucket of water all over himself. Bugs me big time!
tdmiller82
10/17/00
That episode was Wild Card & I did not like how Gary acted with Patrick either. It is true that Patrick can try some one's patience, but Gary is usually much nicer to people. Just seemed out of character.

Stephanie & Suzanne, I guess putting up with Erica & Henry for a whole season is enough to turn any one against marriage & kids!

Stephanie, I think that you are right about Gary always shouldering the blame for bad things even when it is not his fault. Not to psychoanalyze Gary here (well I guess that I am), I remember in Fatal Edition in the scene before his arraignment when Gary is talking to Marissa, he questions may be the paper wanted him to be arrested whereas Marissa was more logical assuimg that the time in the paper was wrong because the police were given the wrong information. Of course, we later learned why the time was incorrect.

earlydues
10/17/00
//I guess putting up with Erica & Henry for a whole season is enough to turn any one against marriage & kids!//

You said it! There were a *lot* of basic character traits that were completely turned upside down when Erica was introduced onto the show. The not liking kids part and the general Grumpy!Gary stuff were two of the most annoying.
MsSpider
10/17/00
I wondered why if Erica, in the first show she was in, was behind in her bills how she managed to buy the fancy evening wear for dates with Rick.
Dollene
10/18/00
Maybe that's why she was behind on the bills.
tdmiller82
10/18/00
Gary would give Marissa his $15,000 in cash winnings from betting on the horses & then let her take the subway. If I were Gary, I would have gotten in a cab with Marissa after I gave her the money. Public transportation is not always the safest mode of travel & putting a blind woman with a unconcealed roll of money on a subway train made Marissa a target for robbers.
karens608
10/18/00
So many people are able to come into Gary's loft uninvited when, as far as I can tell, the only way to get up there is through the office? I mean, is McGinty's that busy that people can slip into the office unnoticed?
tdmiller82
10/19/00
every time Gary & Chuck are in alot of trouble, their parents can't be reached because they are on a cruise. In The Quality of Mercy when Chuck was in a coma, Marissa said that his parents could not be reached because they were on a cruise. The same thing happened to Gary in Fatal Edition.
tdmiller82
10/19/00
the writers use the same character names in two different episodes hoping that the viewers won't remember. Last night in Deadline, there was a character named Frank Scanlon. Frank Scanlon was also the name of the Sun-Times columnist that Gary was falsely accused of murdering in Fatal Edition.
karens608
10/19/00
It's funny that you mentioned about Frank Scanlon because I had never noticed it before last night and it's not like I've never seen Deadline before.
tdmiller82
10/19/00
in the Pilot when Chuck was in Gary's hotel room waiting for the paper (after Gary decided that he was going to go "some place where they can't deliver" to avoid getting the paper), Chuck heard a knock on the door & he rushes there thinking that it is the cat with the paper but instead it is an exterminator. Why did Chuck believe that the cat would knock on the door?
Macredd
10/19/00
Karen~ That one always got me too. In "Luck of the Irish" Kate asks if there is another way out of the loft and Gary's answer is the fire escape. Did he have to go through the whole bar to get in and out? We never saw a service door either did we? Hmmm...
stephaniearwen
10/20/00
Good question about the knock on the door. I guess Chuck's wishful thinking overrode his rational thought. :) :) :) I've also noticed that Gary's parents are conspicuously absent when he's really in trouble- not only were they missing in "Fatal Edition," but Gary also got the answering machine when he tried to call his parents in "Fate," and that was definitely a time he NEEDED to talk to them.
tdmiller82
10/20/00
You are right about Gary's parents being MIA when he really needs them. I had forgotten about Fate (you probably watch Fate as often as I watch Fatal Edition....can recite every word, huh? :))
stephaniearwen
10/20/00
LOL! Yep- read the email I sent you and Candi. :) I am very near being able to recite "Fate" word for word. Is that scary, or what?
Dollene
10/21/00
...that when Gary's alarm goes off at 6:30 A.M. that the sun is always up. Even during the winter months.
Candii
10/21/00
In the episode The Wall, they chose not to use President Clinton's name as president. The name of the president was Tyson. Why was that?
TobMar
10/22/00
Why is it that all the time Gary lived at the Blackstone they never showed anyone else going in and out of their rooms? Also, in most of the episodes, Gary would walk out of his room in his underwear to get the paper. However, when a child or a woman was out there, he would be completely covered with a blanket.
earlydues
10/22/00
///In the episode The Wall, they chose not to use President Clinton's name as president. The name of the president was Tyson. Why was that?///

So the FBI wouldn't hunt them down? :) I don't think they take kindly to having assassination talk in conjunction with a sitting president--even if it *is* in the context of fiction.

Heck, this post is probably setting off all kinds of bells and whistles right now over in the J Edgar Hoover building. :P
Candii
10/22/00
Oops! Wouldn't want to set off any alarms. Lol!! Anyway, it just seemed to take some of the realism out of the episode in my opinion. Might have been better if they hadn't used a name at all, that way we could have used our imagination. Oops....maybe not. I guess there was no way around it huh? Thanks earlydues.
Dollene
10/22/00
Did anyone notice in the scene in the ally with Marissa he used a different name for the president. I couldn't quite make it out but it was definately not the same one.
tdmiller82
10/23/00
In Fatal Edition (Part 2), Gary would go to a diner to have breakfast when he was on the run? He was lucky that the news report about him being a fugitive came on the tv when he was in the bathroom & able to escape. Imagine if that same report came on when he was sitting at the counter eating. Or if that cop who was at the counter when Gary was in the bathroom had walked in while Gary was sitting there AND the news report came on?

In The Wrong Man, after bailing Gary out of jail for disturbing the peace, Marcia tells him that Pritchard called after tehir engagement because he was scared of Gary & "didn't want to spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder". Marcia asks Gary to talk to Pritchard telling Pritchard that he wouldn't try anything. After all that, Marcia jilts Pritchard at the altar.

Marcia threw Gary out of the house in the first place. It was never explained on the show. Gary is such a good guy that I can't imagine what he could have done to have merited such treatment particulary on his wedding anniversary.

stephaniearwen
10/23/00
That is the million dollar question- why would ANYONE throw dear, sweet Gary out of the house? :) Near as I can figure, they were looking for different things in life. Marcia was career minded and not very big on the whole family issue, while Gary was unambitious, had simple tastes, and definitely wanted children. Plus, to tell you the God's honest truth, I suspect that Marcia was already cheating with Pritchard before the divorce- the announcement of her engagement in "The Wrong Man" seemed suspiciously fast to me...
tdmiller82
10/23/00
Oh my gosh...I was thinking the same thing about Marcia cheating with Pritchard while she & Gary were still married. The engagement announcement was very quick. Besides, Pritchard seemed like he was gloating in the Pilot (may be I was reading more into it). Further, I got a sense from the scene where Gary comes to the house when Marcia was packing that Marcia's father didn't approve of Gary & that Pritchard was more of what he wanted for his daughter as Marcia put it "so they can make a powerhouse". Gary, as you correctly noted, is less materialistic & more into simple things.
Dollene
10/24/00
In Fatal Edition why Gary would put that wad of money in his jacket pocket then leave it on the counter as he goes to the restroom.
Candii
10/24/00
Crossed my mind too about Marcia cheating on Gary with Pritchard. I didn't want to believe that she could be that cruel to him by cheating on him with his boss, while they were still married. But you have to admit, the engagement was kind of fast.

I have my suspicions as to why she kept coming around Gary, but I think I'll keep it to myself. ;)
mike613
10/24/00
Gary eating in a diner isn't all that unusual. Even on the run, a man can't get all his food from a garbage can. The "Fugitive", used to do stuff like that all the time.
tdmiller82
10/24/00
You are right. Would have made more sense for Gary to put the money in his jeans pocket. Go figure.
karens608
10/24/00
Here's another one from Fatal Edition. Why did Gary try to tell his lawyer about the paper when he didn't have it with him? You'd think he would've learned his lesson in Just One Of Those Things. Although it's interesting that Marissa believed him when he couldn't show it to her even if he wanted to.
tdmiller82
10/24/00
Good point. Also, technically the lawyer wasn't required to keep whatever Gary told him confidential since Gary hadn't officially retained him as his counsel. At least, from my experience, that's the way it is in PA.
tdmiller82
10/26/00
In Teen Angels, Gary throws the paper mache sculpture (Anxiety #3) at a gun-toting Eddie to prevent him from shooting Patrick & the sculpture breaks apart. However, when Principal Saunders gives Gary the sculpture as he & Patrick are leaving the school a few moments later, it is in one piece.
tdmiller82
10/28/00
In Fatal Edition (Part 2), Gary continued hitting Salavas (the dirty cop) when the police arrived. At that point, Gary didn't know that Brigatti had called for backup & explained the situation. For all Gary knew, he was still wanted by the police & could have easily been shot when they drove up & saw him hitting one of their officers.
tdmiller82
10/30/00
Jake (The medical examiner) opened the trunk containing Brigatti's drugged body. I know that for storyline purposes it made it easier for Brigatti to get out & confront Salavas, but it made no sense for Jake to do this especially after telling Salavas that Brigatti would be coming around soon because the drug was wearing off. It seems to me that he would want her to be in a closed trunk.
tdmiller82
10/31/00
Gary never really named the cat. I suppose Gary didn't feel like the cat was his pet, but just a messenger for the paper, but there were times when Gary did act seem as if he liked the cat (feeding him tuna or telling the cat that he missed him at the end of Fate).
shana93
10/31/00
Gary has so many different coats and jackets. He's so busy with the paper, when does he have time to shop?
tdmiller82
11/01/00
Good point. I've actually wondered that myself. In one episode, (Run, Gary, Run), Gary did mention going to a shoe store to get sneakers that were on sale. I guess he must make time from the responsibilities of the paper to shop because he does have an awesome assortment of sweaters & coats all of which look very good
shana93
11/01/00
Ok, I'm new to this website, so if you all have covered this please forgive me. One thing I have always wondered about is what happened to Spike??? I know he got poisoned in the halloween episode, but was cured by the two witches. After that I never saw him again. Did I miss something???
tdmiller82
11/01/00
Good question. I love Fatal Edition (watch it all the time) & I noticed that in the scene where Marissa meets Gary in the alley with the bolt cutters to remove his handcuffs, she is with another dog. I wondered what happened to Spike too. Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't ever remember Spike's absence & the reason for the replacement dog being mentioned on the show.
shana93
11/01/00
You're right, I do remember seeing Marissa with another dog at one time. I'd forgotten. I still wish I knew what happened to Spike. Maybe someone could write a fanfic on the fate of the faithful dog. Just something to think about.
earlydues
11/01/00
Spike's replacement was never addressed on the show. Guess TPTB didn't think we'd notice the difference. :rollseyes: However, to try to explain it, some have speculated that Spike may have been retired due to his near-death experience in "Halloween," which I guess is what is normally done with working dogs that experience some kind of trauma like that.
tdmiller82
11/03/00
Gary carelessly leaves the paper lying around McGinty's when he doesn't want anyone to know about it? In last night's episodes, Just One of Those Things, he left the paper on the bar counter. I also recall him leaving it in the office on more than one ocassion. We know people other than Gary sometimes use his office (Patrick used the phone in the office in Halloween). It is surprisingly that more people have not found out about the paper.
shana93
11/03/00
Good point. I have been wondering this myself. Especially in the episode with Meredith (don't know the name of it). He expressed concern about trusting her with it, then leaves it on the night stand while he takes a shower. I always wondered why he didn't take it in the bathroom with him.
TerriRuth
11/03/00
I think Gary didn't take the paper into the bathroom with him because he was giving Meredith the benefit of the doubt. As for leaving the paper lying around, this is problematic, but if I saw a newspaper that wasn't mine I probably wouldn't take much notice of it, let alone check the date.
Ren713
11/03/00
When Gary told Erica about the paper, why he didn't have the paper in HAND when he told her, instead of trying to explain first. The whole time he was trying to tell her, I'm going "show her, stupid!" Even then, I don't know if I would have believed him. I guess he should have taken her along with him, said "see this headline" and then have her watch the headline disappear after he averted the tragedy. Another thing, didn't it strike you as odd that in "Just One of Those Things" Erica accuses Gary of fear of commitment and then just one episode later she turns into what she accused him of?
tdmiller82
11/04/00
I always wondered why Gary didn't just show Erica the paper initially too. Usually, he keeps it in the back pocket of his jeans. I don't know why he decided to take it out then. I guess he was just nervous. Remember the scene when Gary looks at his clock & it says 4:30a.m. & the next morning he is talking to the cat asking the cat if it how had any reservations about him telling Erica about the paper to let Gary know? That was a great scene IMHO to show Gary's anxiety over the situation.
MsSpider
11/05/00
Speaking of back pockets...Do you think they had to make his pockets bigger so he could put the paper in them? I keep wondering every time I see him stuff the paper in.
Ren713
11/05/00
The other thing I love about that scene is when he takes a sip of the cat's milk bowl. I was like "Did he realize what he just did?" And from the oblivious look on Gary's face, I don't think he ever did. I loved the subtlety of this show!
stephaniearwen
11/05/00
That's why he was having the stomach aches! He kept drinking out of the cat's bowl!!
tdmiller82
11/06/00
You may be right about the wardrobe dept. enlarging the back pocket of the jeans. It seems that Gary not only can get the paper to fit in the pocket without a problem, but it never seems to fall out despite Gary's daredevil stunts (i.e. hanging onto Sun-Times delivery trucks, jumping onto & hanging on the hoods of cars, hanging on ropes from collapsed scaffoldings, etc.).
karens608
11/06/00
Actually, I've suspected for some time that they just don't use a full size paper - in other words, that they remove some pages from it.
tdmiller82
11/06/00
That could be the case. It would make a lot of sense.
Dollene
11/06/00
...The health department never said anything about that cat running around in the kitchen and on the bar. I love cats but everytime I see that cat jump on something where food will sit I cringe.
tdmiller82
11/07/00
I'm was thinking the same thing. Also, how come social services never found out or complained about Henry hanging around the bar? In some episodes we even see Henry sitting at the bar counter while Patrick is preparing drinks.
tdmiller82
11/08/00
In Fate, soon after Gary read his obituary in the paper, he writes a letter to his lawyer leaving full ownership of McGinty's to Marissa & calls his parents. However, he never called Chuck. You would think that he would want to speak to his best friend one last time to say goodbye.
tdmiller82
11/13/00
Gary thinks that jumping on the hood of a car is going to stop it from moving. I didn't think about this until I read one reply to my Home Groan thread. :)
Ren713
11/13/00
Didn't he even say after he jumped on the car "that was stupid"?
Candii
11/13/00
While we're talking about Home Groan, there was this one scene that disturbed me. I love Bernie, he's like this big kid, but when he went to the jail and sprung Gary, he didn't seem too concerned about Lois being at home alone with the two escaped convicts. Even after Gary had told him about what was going on at home with Lois, Bernie was moving slowly, and even took time to fix the bed to make it look like Gary was still in bed. I thought that was kind of a weird thing to do especially when his wife was in trouble.
Dollene
11/14/00
Maybe Bernie feels like us that Gary can take care of anthing. I never was too concerned for Lois either. Maybe because the lightheartedness of the show. And it's true Gary saved the day! I was just wondering if Gary ever told his parents about what happened in the Fate ep. If he didn't then in his parents eyes, he was always there to stop bad things from happening. Just a thought.
tdmiller82
11/14/00
Yes, he did say that. But this wasn't the first time Gary jumps on the hood of a car to try to stop it (think The Last Untouchable).
shana93
11/15/00
Having just seen "Where or When" tonight, I was wondering why Gary has a rotary phone in his apartment? In other episodes, I remember him having a more updated phone, but maybe those were all later episodes. I can't remember.
Dollene
11/15/00
I think the rotary phone was just another one of those little details. Since the story revolved around the 40's and was in homage to Rear window I think they put the rotary phone in for effect. Tracy, I will give it a try. I am working on a continuing story right now that I am not really happy with. So it might be a while. But if I come up with something concerning Fate that I think is good enough I will post it. Who knows I may just add it into the one I'm working on. Kill 2 birds with one stone.
tdmiller82
11/18/00
In Duck Day Afternoon, the one time Gary needed a compelling story to avoid spending time with his parents, the paper wouldn't oblige. Isn't ironic that the paper always seemed to interfere with Gary's love life, but not bonding time with his parents. :)
stephaniearwen
11/18/00
LOL! I guess the paper thought Gary needed to resolve his "issues" with his parents. :) Funny how the paper becomes another sentient character in our conversations...
tdmiller82
11/23/00
Gary always runs out in the middle of the street to save people & never seems to get hit by a car, cab, or bus.
tdmiller82
11/24/00
In The Choice, when she & Gary were in the hospital waiting for someone to examine her, Amanda said to Gary (paraphrasing) "you have to go now because you have to save someone else." Just like Gary, I wondered why she would say that....talk about out of the mouths of babes!
tdmiller
11/26/00
a "task force" was needed to bring Gary to justice when he was a fugitive. Or, for that matter, why the entire Chicago PD could not capture one unarmed man who did not do a very good job IMHO of hiding.
shana93
11/27/00
In Second Sight, when Chuck & Crumb are handcuffed together to that ladder, why didn't Chuck just slide between the steps. They then could've untied Gary and gotten off the ship. I've wondered this every time I see this ep. There was plenty of space between those steps. Every time I see that scene I start talking to my tv, trying to give the characters advice.
Candii
11/27/00
Shana, this episode was at the top of my favorite eps, and I never noticed it. How could I have missed that? Well, it's on right now, so I will check it out this time. :)
shana93
11/27/00
I'm interested in your observations on Second Sight--is it just me, or could Chuck have slid himself between the steps with Crumb's help?

Also, for anyone, I was just wondering why Marcia throws Gary out & then a few weeks later, announces she is moving herself and selling the house. Couldn't she have let him live there? He was living in a hotel for crying out loud. I'm not a cursing person, but I was thinking she was quite a . . . . well, you know.
Candii
11/27/00
Shana, I looked at my tapes, and to tell you the truth, I really can't tell. The space between the steps looked wide enough, but I'm not sure if his shoulders would fit. Anyone else?

About Marcia and the house, I'm thinking that maybe she had inherited that big old house that looked like an apartment building from dear old Daddy. Did anyone else notice that the house from the pilot looked different from the one in Wrong Man?
earlydues
11/28/00
It is a different house than the one they lived in in the "Pilot" ep. From the conversation between Gary and Marcia in "The Wrong Man" it would appear that Marcia had 'just moved *in*' to that house. But in "Gun" Gary mentions that Marcia 'got the house.' So, one could assume that Marcia sold their home and moved into this new one (which may well have been provided by dear old Daddy).
tdmiller82
11/28/00
The Wrong Man is another of my favorite Season 1 episodes & I agree that the house in this episode looked different from the one we saw in the Pilot. Also, I suspect that Marcia came from an influential family & that her father wasn't too pleased about Gary's more down to earth roots. I'm just speculating, of course, but perhaps it was Mr. Roberts (Marcia's father) who got Gary the job at Strauss & Associates thinking that his son-in-law would make a big splash as a stockbroker. And when Mr. Roberts saw that Gary wasn't exactly dripping with professional ambition, Mr. Roberts "encouraged" his daughter to seek bigger fish (i.e. Pritchard)
Macredd
11/28/00
Why the security guard/cop who caught Gary over Scanlon's body in Fatal Edition wasn't evident anywhere in the paper. The paper said Scanlon was killed at 10:00 pm, Gary got there at 8:00. The security guard heard the gunshot and found the body at 8:00. How could the police and coroner have been wrong about the time with him having heard the gunshot? He would've found Scanlon regardless of Gary's presence at 8:00. How could that be overlooked? Never made sense to me. Anybody? Am I missing something?
tdmiller82
11/28/00
The time in the coroner's report is important, but not for the reason you are thinking. I don't want to give anything away in case you have never seen Part 2 of Fatal Edition, but there is a reason why the reported time of Scanlon's death is incorrect.
tdmiller82
11/29/00
the police didn't think to check around the Sun-Times first when Gary escaped since Armstrong knew that Gary had ties to the paper.
karens608
11/29/00
I didn't want to say anything about the problem with the time of death until after part 2 aired, but now that it has, I will. I never realized it until I read Suzanne's question about it, but the paper said that the time of death was 10:00, but the guard heard the gunshot at 8:00. Assuming he reads the paper, he would know that the time of death was wrong. Not only that, but what about the cops on the scene? They would certainly know that they were there before 10:00. The only thing I can figure is that when Gary showed up, he somehow changed what happened just by being there - like maybe Savalas saw him and decided that he would be the perfect fall guy because he knew that Scanlon was looking into all the incidents that Gary was involved in.
Macredd
11/29/00
I've seen both parts of Fatal Edition at least 4 times. I didn't want to give anything away in case others hadn't seen it either. I understand you're referring to the coroner, but that wouldn't change the fact that the security guard HEARD the gunshot at 8:00 and found the body. He didn't hear Gary, which would've made more sense. He would've immediately called the police-and not just Savalas and his brother-in-law would've come. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe Scanlon wouldn't have been the only one murdered. Maybe Savalas would've killed the guard too to hide the time of death, but Gary changed that. The way it was done just doesn't make sense. I go over it and over it and can't resolve it in my head. I have to stop obsessing.
shana93
11/29/00
I just saw Run, Gary Run tonight and there was something that puzzled me. When the officer made Gary get out of the police car, Gary began running in the opposite direction as the car had been heading. I think he did the same when he got out of the taxi. I was thinking to myself, why is he going the wrong way. I am completely baffled by this. Any thoughts?
stephaniearwen
11/29/00
Regarding "Run, Gary, Run," I'm always puzzled by the timing. The sense I get is that the intersection was a couple miles away. Gary should be an Olympian if he can get dressed, call Marissa, have several encounters with people on the street that slow him down, AND cover a couple miles in ten minutes! LOL! :) Don't get me wrong, I love this episode, but this has always left me perplexed.
Dollene
11/29/00
I wondered why in Run, Gary , Run when he was having his first dream why we saw Marissa leaving her house. I thought that was kind of odd. I also thought Marissa was a little thoughtless when she was upset with Gary for having her break her date with Emmitt. I mean when was the last time Gary got to go on a date? Marissa is usually a little more sympathetic than she was tonight. I thought he was so cute when she was chastizing him in the kitchen. The look on his face and the way he kept shaking his head. Did anyone else catch the blooper. When Gary ran for the taxi for real. When he was supposed to be wearing the Reeboks, that I so proudly keep for him, he got into the taxi he had his loafers back on.
Candii
11/29/00
Shana~ About Gary running in the opposite direction of where the cab was going, I know that the first time when the Dr. had to get to the hospital, she told the cab driver to turn around, so they were going in the opposite direction of where Gary was suppose to be going.

The last time, when the cab driver got pulled over by the cop, if you put your tape in slow motion, (aren't I focused? ;))you can see that when Gary jumps out of the cab, he is headed across the street towards the carrier's bike, which is actually pointed in the same direction of the cab, it's just the angle of the camera or shot that makes it look like he is heading in the opposite direction. :) At least thats what it looks like to me.
Candii
11/30/00
I just pulled out my tape with Run Gary Run, and saw the part you were referring to about Gary running in the opposite direction of the police car. Hummm.. yep I had forgotten about that part. Crazy guy was running in the wrong direction. This episode was a little weird, but I guess most dreams are.
tdmiller82
11/30/00
I love the kitchen scene in Run, Gary, Run too. Gary had such a "little boy in trouble" (which I am the unofficial keeper of as you know. LOL) which reminded me of a kid agreeing with his mother so he can get off the hook & swearing that he'll never do the unacceptable behavior again. Very cute scene IMHO.
karens608
11/30/00
I think when Gary got into the cab he said something about only needing to go a mile. I pulled out a map of Chicago, and Franklin and Illinois(where McGinty's is) isn't too far from Chicago Avenue, although the map didn't show the location of the post office. But I agree about the timing being too tight.
shana93
11/30/00
My favorite part of Run, Gary Run is when he calls Marissa and makes that cute apology. Wouldn't you just love to get a call like that from him?? I'd never be able to stay mad at him. :)

I didn't notice the loafer's blooper. I'll have to go back and check it out. Y'all amaze me at the things you notice. I must be suffering from brain fog. ;)

tdmiller82
11/30/00
Do you think that Gary ever followed through on his promise to mop the floor?
shana93
11/30/00
LOL, Somehow I doubt it. :) I'm trying to picture Gary mopping the floor & just can't do it. Why did he make such a promise anyway--don't they have busboys for that sort of thing?? :) Anyway, he sure looked cute making that little apology speech--smile on his face, hand on his chest & what did he say? "This is the new Gary Hobson" or something like that..
Amy-Kokomo
11/30/00
Tracy and Shana Of course Gary didn't mop the floor. That promise was made in his dream :). That is one phone message Marissa never got.
Macredd
11/30/00
I don't know about you girls, but when Gary makes his telephone apology, I have trouble concentrating on what he's saying. I'm too enthralled with his biceps. How could I possible be the only one?
stephaniearwen
11/30/00
ROTFLOL! (giggle, gasp, choke, thud...)

Suzanne, don't DO that! Especially not when I'm in a public lab trying to kill time between classes! I'm sure everyone thinks I'm nuts now! :P :P :P The biceps are definitely enthralling, though, I agree.
Candii
11/30/00
Yep, I noticed them too. :) How about that adorable look on his face when that girl came to get him? Poor guy, he knew that he was in trouble when she didn't take her eyes off of him. :P Thats what he gets for looking so cute! :)
Dollene
11/30/00
Ooh! I noticed his biceps too. Especially the part where he put the phone across his body and held it under the opposite ear. My word! sigh.
karens608
11/30/00
I'm going to have to record Run,Gary,Run the next time it's on. How could I not have noticed his biceps? :) I also didn't notice the Reeboks magically changing into loafers, but I did notice the disappearing and reappearing gloves in Second Sight.
tdmiller82
11/30/00
ROTFL...This is why I can never read these posts when I'm at working. It would be hard to maintain my serious working demeanor when I'm laughing hysterically. Yep.....I noticed the biceps, but I was trying to be a good girl & not comment about them :) I'm a good girl, right Dollene? Rhetorical question no need to answer that. :)
TobMar
11/30/00
Regarding shoe bloopers, there is one in "Blowing Up is Hard to Do". When Gary is walking down the street on the way to the health club, he is wearing dark shoes. But, when he jumps into the pool to save Meredith Armstrong, he is wearing white sneakers. At first I thought he just had socks on, but when I played it back to check, it sure looked like sneakers, not socks.
Ren713
11/30/00
I did notice Kyle was looking really buff the last season and his arms and shoulders were looking quite toned. Usually, though, like Amber, I'm distracted by his glutes. And Kyle looks very leggy to me. Actually to be quite frank, between the broad shoulders and the long legs, he just looks to be a big guy to me.
Candii
11/30/00
Ren~ I would have to agree with you on all of that. :) But, after careful study of Kyle's legs for 4 years, 8) He seems like a tall guy so he probably does have long legs. Long beautiful legs. :) He seems long in the torso too. :) I don't remember exactly how tall he is, but I'm sure someone will know. ;) Kyle is a big guy, but there were other actors that appeared on the show who were even taller or bigger. Standing next to Armstrong, he looked smaller, or average size. I noticed how small his hands looked in Armstrongs too when they shook hands in Fatal. It was just something that caught my eye. :)
shana93
11/30/00
I believe Kyle is 6'1", and IMHO he is definitely looking his best in season 4. ;) LOL I think we've gotten off the subject of Have you ever wondered why. ;)
shana93
11/30/00
Tobmar mentioned the shoe blooper in Blowing up is hard to do, which caused a light bulb to go off in my head. Gary jumped in the pool fully clothed, then proceeds to go to the hospital with Mrs. Armstrong. Wouldn't he have gone home to change, especially as it was winter? When we see him at the hospital, he appears to be dry. I don't remember, is he wearing the same clothes or different? I don't have this one on tape, so I can't check.
Macredd
12/01/00
Sorry Stephanie! I'd hate to think I made people think you're nuts. I just can't get past those arms. He definitely did not have them before season 4. I'd have noticed, I am a bicep woman! My husband has even larger ones, but Kyle's alot taller. Matter of fact, he's a very "Gary" type of guy. I think that's probably why I am so enamored. My husband thinks it's pretty funny too. It's so nice to know I'm not the only one. You girls make my day!
Dollene
12/01/00
Yeah Tracy, you're a good girl. Yeah right!! Watching Kyle is like looking at fine art. It is there to be appreciated. Looked at closely and admired. But at some point you have to comment on it's beauty. As is so with Kyle. You can appreciate him, look closely and admire him but darn it sometimes you just have to comment onn such things as his biceps, the little V at the back of his neck. His nose, etc, etc, etc. :)
tdmiller82
12/02/00
Watching Kyle is "like looking at fine art" I love that, Dollene :) And who said that one does not find culture of the EE message board. Here we all are writing fan fic stories (English/Creative Writing) & watching Kyle & appreciating his physical attributes (Art). Not to mention those of us who are always Homefront fans you get to learn about the 1940's (History & Music).
Dollene
12/02/00
LOL Tracy. Yeah we are just a bunch of cultural wannabe's here on the EE board. :) By the way Kyle is 6'2". It's only an inch but it makes a world of difference. sigh!
tdmiller82
12/02/00
Is it me or did Kyle seemed talker to you on Homefront than on EE? My twin sister Stacy & I were watching Homefront last night & I noticed this. I figured that because he was younger (and thinner) that's why he seemed taller. Or maybe, it is just me. :)
Ren713
12/02/00
I could be wrong on this, but maybe Kyle looked taller on "Homefront" because if memory serves me well, he was a lot taller than Tammy Lauren. Which, if he's 6'2", maybe Tammy was about 5'3", 5'4. I'm going completely by memory, since I don't have TV Land, and I don't have any episodes on tape, so I'm trying to remember things from eight years ago (Has it been that long!?!?)
Dollene
12/03/00
I think it's because most of the people onthat show are shorter than Kyle. Excpet for hank an charlie. All the women are tiny and petite. And he is quite a bit thinner so that could add to it. I don't mean that to say he is heavy now he's just matured.
Dollene
12/04/00
In the Wrong man Gary is wearing his wedding ring. Why did he start wearing it again. It was not in any of the previous eps except for the Pilot.
tdmiller82
12/05/00
I think that the writers did this on purpose so that we could have that great scene at the end of the episode when Gary looks in the mirror & takes off his wedding ring to achieve "closure."
moogie454
12/05/00
Hi, I'm new on this site and I think you guys are hysterical..I love you're analysis of all the EE shows and I kept wondering when I was going to join the "focus" group. Well a few nights ago, my husband and I were watching Fatal Edition and my husband said..."have you ever wondered why Scanlon thought that he could drive by at high speed and think that he could shoot a guy that doesn't even reach the window. Plus, he was dumb enough to do it in his own car. Well after the husband said that I knew it was time to join the fun.
tdmiller82
12/05/00
Welcome to the message board. You are going to have alot of fun here. I've been on the message board for about 3 mos. & it has been such a blast. BTW, thanks for your comment about Fatal Edition. Everyone here knows that I LOVE Fatal Edition & never tire of discussing it. Anyway, I'm looking to reading more of your posts.
tdmiller82
12/07/00
In Blind Faith, Gary knew that according to the paper, the canon ball was going to explode. Yet, he stared directly at it after the boys threw it in his direction instead of moving away from it.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0073.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com